Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:27 pm 

So I had this idea after reading a thread about someone making cassettes for bands and donating them to local thrift stores and I thought about if we just made some kind of promo compilation CD of various bands and solo projects from the forums. Basically everyone would submit a song from their band or project, I would make an album cover and backside with track listings and info on the bands, then I would share the cover and all the songs, and we would all use sony cd-r's w/ white/black cases to make ten or so each of these. So we could all print out the covers and burn our own cd's to leave around at local record stores or something. I'm just curious what everyone thinks of this idea.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:40 pm 

Im not in a band. But that sounds nice. Thumbs up!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:58 pm 

If enough of the music is high enough quality, I think it could be a great idea. The key issue is if enough of the music is high enough quality.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:08 pm 

This sounds rad an I would definitely put money towards this. It's cheap marketing imo.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:37 am 

Sounds like a cool idea! I'm currently still slugging it in rehearsals with my band, but if we have something recorded by the time this comes to fruition, I think the other guys would be keen for a track of ours to be involved if it fit the general vibe.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:39 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
If enough of the music is high enough quality, I think it could be a great idea. The key issue is if enough of the music is high enough quality.

What he said.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:21 pm 

interesting enough. I might throw down for that.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:55 pm 

I can dig it.

HackTheRipper666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 pm 

When do you think this will be happening? Also, what genres will be included?

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:57 pm 

really anything would work. I think we could all agree any form of metal, even some core or nu-metal, a little prog and punk maybe, what ever we get. As far as quality, I agree it should be quality, but we shouldn't be too picky, most of the stuff in the promo section I think would be fine for this sort of a think.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:51 am 

I have so much shit i'm doing, it really doesn't matter to me what I throw on it unless there is some sort of theme to it... but I rather any of my material be on a comp that's anything nu-metal which I figured you were joking about... but still nevertheless.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:12 am 

I mean you still see a few metalcore, deathcore, and maybe even industrial songs on fear candy cds that come with terrorizer magazine, heavy music in general.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:56 am 

that all works for me. I wasn't sure if you were going to reach out to the jumpdafuckup crowd.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:40 am 

I say everyone take your best song, or one of your best songs, and let's at least try putting something together. Maybe to be fair, we can compile 20-30 songs, zip them up and have someone host them, then we can all vote on the best 15 or so to be put on the final version. With some quality control in place I think it would be a great idea. The best of the metal archives or something like that. Chaos from the metal archives. I dunno, I suck at naming things. Maybe we could have some smaller metal zines pass it out if we gave them some copies and they liked it.

for making physical CDs, kunaki is a great place that I've used in the past. They're super duper cheap.
www.kunaki.com

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:59 am 

I'm glad you took my advice on kunaki!

Should there be some sort of time limit inorder to be able to get 20-30 songs on a single cd?

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 am 

A standard audio CD can have up to 80 minutes/ 700 mb. Now we can do this more than once, the concept of making something available that anyone can print out/burn and leave at record stores is what I'm getting at. Now considering there are a lot of songs out there that can sometimes be a half of an album, we can cut them down into 4-6 minute parts if unnecessary and provide a link to the bands band camp where the listener can listen to the full song if interested. I kinda like the idea of voting, but at the same time we should try to make each cd diverse, if we have 8 bm songs ans 4 dm songs we should do 6 and 2, and then do the rest a month later.

(also, thanks for that link)

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:37 pm 

Sounds great! I would definitely be down for submitting a thrash track or two from Durvasag!

Hey SLK, have you ever used Kunaki? I've been searching forever for someone who could give me even a slight idea of how the service is. I've heard horror stories, and their service doesn't seem very flexible at all, but I want to know if it really is worth the money. Maybe if we can pool money, we can even use Kunaki to do this thing.

Lol

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:46 pm 

It's what I'm releasing all my stuff on. i like them. they aren't flexible in design, but really I don't need a whole lot in what I want to do in a cd and if I want to do more than a page layout I can go to national.

also things to print up darker than you might intend so if you are going for a gray scale that shit will be dark as fuck.

I really do recommend them, great for your budget and many times I might not order my entire run of something but parts and just fill my stock as I get orders.

Also it's so extremely to use as far as just plugging in the design you have for all the artwork and uploading all the tracks. unlike nationaldiscmakers who are fucking pain in the ass and I had to keep sending signed released forms saying i owned all the rights to the songs cause they kept losing it. and then they sent it to my house when I specifically asked to have it sent to my PO Box. and I just had to have it out with the stupid bitch on the phone cause the confirmation she originally sent making sure this is how i wanted everything to appear... the first time it was wrong, the second time it was someone else's stuff completely as in some country music comp and then I had to resend the art and finally it was right. whole fucking thing took 2 months and they had my money the entire time cause they don't start on shit until they have it all upfront.

kunaki is tits and usually if something is fucked up, normally it's your own fault.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:58 pm 

I ordered some CDs from kunaki and they turned out great, and I got them in a couple days. No issues with me, at all.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 am 

I thought about releasing the songwriting challenge songs, but the problem is each track is mastered differently, but maybe that might work.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:09 pm 

I released all mine on an a cd, but they were all pretty much mixed the same.

Voorvader
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:13 am 

I'd be up to it. I also have some friends in bands that would probably like to pitch in.

http://www.facebook.com/metalsanctuaryandpromos METAL SANCTUARY PROMOTIONS!

tolivetody
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:40 pm 

I’d be interested in participating – my band is MIDNITE HELLION.

I do have one piece of advice though. Many times when record stores find CDs that aren’t part of their inventory or look like something that somebody left on the shelf (paper sleeve CD-R or something of the like that could be cheaply distributed at a concert), it is discarded. It may be best to put them on a not-for-profit consignment, and by that I mean bring it up to the workers about having it on the counter as a free offering to the public, and with that, perhaps the CD itself could be lightscribed or have a paper label.

Other than that, I’m 100% down to do this! Please do keep me updated.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 pm 

We should probably decide on a name for this/ these compilation (s), as well as make some sort of google drive folder or something that we can submit songs to for review and whatnot. As far as album artwork and design is concerned I can gladly do this, though I'm open to letting anyone else contribute.

Voorvader
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm 

Big_Grand wrote:
We should probably decide on a name for this/ these compilation (s), as well as make some sort of google drive folder or something that we can submit songs to for review and whatnot. As far as album artwork and design is concerned I can gladly do this, though I'm open to letting anyone else contribute.

Yeah, we need to figure out what to call this thing. I'm really excited to hear what everyone has to offer.

http://www.facebook.com/metalsanctuaryandpromos METAL SANCTUARY PROMOTIONS!

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=96017

made a name thread, also, if anyone wants to be a judge for submissions pm me

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.