* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:18 pm 

Quote:
From the cold blackened graves their shadows rise.... Osmose
Productions releases unexpected ILDJARN / HATE FOREST split CD/LP, called "Those Once Mighty Fallen". Both dead bands are presented with their lost and forgotten recordings, accid...
entally found not so long ago. ILDJARN's songs were created in the dark year of 1994 and HATE FOREST's during cold winter nights of 2000-2001. Now, carefully re-mixed and re-mastered this audio- terror is available first time. A real epitaph to sincere, true black metal. No release date yet to communicate.

I'm fucking excited, hearing unreleased stuff from 2 of black metal's finest. Especially that it came so unexpected. Can't wait.

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 pm 

Sounds like a money grab done without either band's authorization.

Also,
Quote:
black metal's finest

Ildjarn? Really?

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
Sounds like a money grab done without either band's authorization.

Also,
Quote:
black metal's finest

Ildjarn? Really?

One of the finest, yes.

The announcement of this record is indeed surprising - especially for Ildjarn, when one considers the tombstone that "Ildjarn is Dead" was allegedly intended to be -, but I see no direct reason to believe it is going to be a bootleg. Although a direct statement from Vidar Våer might not be easy to come by, I believe we'd receive notice at least from Roman Saenko soon enough if the release was, in fact, unofficial, seeing as this record will be released by Osmose, not some microscopic underground bootlegging label.

I just hope it'll be more than roughly ten minutes worth of material by both bands.

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 pm 

I wonder if we'll get to hear the original versions before remastering? If the release is short It could be interesting if they included both versions.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:09 pm 

Very excited to hear the Ildjarn material for this. I guess it'll expose me to Hate Forest as well.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:07 am 

Numerator_41 wrote:
Very excited to hear the Ildjarn material for this. I guess it'll expose me to Hate Forest as well.

Check out Purity, as an Ildjarn fan you should like that. (not that it's Ildjarn worship/clone by any means)

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:24 pm 

Totally unexpected, indeed! I will be checking this out and I'm pretty sure it's not a bootleg, it's Osmose we're talking about here!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:18 pm 

Hopefully this Ildjarn will include some ambient since he does that better than he does black metal, especially with Nidhogg.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:22 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Hopefully this Ildjarn will include some ambient since he does that better than he does black metal, especially with Nidhogg.

No, no, no. While I love Ildjarn's synthesizer work (and, especially, the "Hardangervidda" albums), it cannot be separated from its black metal counterpart: they are, essentially, two forms of expression of the same meaning which rely on each other to fully blossom; they can, in my opinion, only be fully comprehended when they are viewed as two sides of the same coin. Intrinsically, both Ildjarn's synthesizer and black metal music are highly similar to each other in terms of structure and texture, how the melodies progress and so on (to illustrate, listen to "Blissful Mountain View" from the first "Hardangervidda" album and then compare it to "Whispering Breeze" from "Forest Poetry"). Ildjarn has created some of the most pure black metal there is - which also is a statement of its quality -, there's simply no sense in denying this.

By the way, the original reason for this post was to clear this release of all accusations of being a bootleg, I'll just copy a (very short) statement by Mikko Aspa of Northern Heritage a user on another forum posted to this effect:

Northern Heritage wrote:
yes, it's official news.
There is also upcoming all Ildjarn as re-issues by another label.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:19 pm 

Well, I would think at least Hate Forest's involvement would be official, since Osmose has reissued a bunch of their music. I'm kind of interested to see how their half turns out, because I prefer Hate Forest's earlier work to their later stuff. I'm worried that it will be throwaway material, but I'll keep an eye out for it anyway.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:18 pm 

Aszfargoth wrote:
Intrinsically, both Ildjarn's synthesizer and black metal music are highly similar to each other in terms of structure and texture, how the melodies progress and so on (to illustrate, listen to "Blissful Mountain View" from the first "Hardangervidda" album and then compare it to "Whispering Breeze" from "Forest Poetry").

The ambient song was good, the black metal one was nothing special. My opinion remains unchanged. There is much better black metal out there.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:51 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Aszfargoth wrote:
Intrinsically, both Ildjarn's synthesizer and black metal music are highly similar to each other in terms of structure and texture, how the melodies progress and so on (to illustrate, listen to "Blissful Mountain View" from the first "Hardangervidda" album and then compare it to "Whispering Breeze" from "Forest Poetry").

The ambient song was good, the black metal one was nothing special. My opinion remains unchanged. There is much better black metal out there.

I didn't intend to change your opinion and wasn't eager to see if "Blissful Mountain View" entertained you more than "Whispering Breeze", for that matter. I was (and still am) concerned with the acknowledgement of the intrinsic sameness and conjointness of both Ildjarn's ambient and black metal styles (not with turning anyone into an Ildjarn fan). Conceptually, it is absolutely preposterous to state that one is inferior to the other because, essentially, they are each other's likeness. Of course, one's guitar- and drum-based and heavily distorted, the other's synthesizer-based, thus, both differ in the way the musical ideas are executed instrumentally, but at the music's base, these are purely superficial differences: Ildjarn's ambient and black metal work are like twin-brothers; it becomes obvious when one, e. g. - as I mentioned before -, pays close attention to the way the melodies are constructed. The ambiance may appear to radically differ within both styles when, in fact, both are simply instrumental variations of the primary subject of the music: Ildjarn's black metal strikes the listener as abrasive, as bleak - but it is, actually and basically, as serene and calm in its effort to create a vision of "a natural world that man has never roamed" as the ambient work is.

Excuse my irascibility. I'll freely admit that I'm a rabid Ildjarn fanboy.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 pm 

Listening to Forest Poetry with 103 degree fever and ripping headache changed my life.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Listening to Forest Poetry with 103 degree fever and ripping headache changed my life.

Yes, well, a lot of Ildjarn's work has migraine-curing qualities, but I've never gave it a try during high fever, although the prospects sound enjoyable.

In other news, Season of Mist have announced the forthcoming release of all Ildjarn material in digital and physical format (take note, however, that several physical editions will be handled by other, as of yet undisclosed, labels):

Season of Mist wrote:
Season of Mist to release ILDJARN's whole back catalogue

True to a life-long interest in underground extreme Metal, Season of Mist will release the full back catalogue of Norwegian cult act ILDJARN, as well as the ILDJARN-NIDHOGG and SORT VOKTER productions. Here is the comprehensive list of reissues:

Norse (EP)
Ildjarn (album)
Strength and Anger (album)
Landscapes (album)
Svartfråd (EP)
Forest Poetry (album)
Hardangervidda (album)
Hardangervidda part 2 (EP)
1992-1995 (compilation)
Eksistensens Jeger (single)
Nocturnal Visions (EP)
Minnesjord – The Dark Soil (EP)
Ildjarn 93 (EP)
Ildjarn Is Dead (compilation)
SORT VOKTER - Folkloric Necro Metal (album)

All 15 reissues will be available digitally in the upcoming weeks and most of them will hit the stores in physical editions later on. More information soon!

Please note that ILDJARN ceased all musical activities a long time ago and therefore does not do interviews and does not run any official web page or social network.

A welcome opportunity to finally attain a physical copy of "Landscapes" and a non-bootleg one of "Svartfråd".

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43 pm 

...People actually like ildjarn's ambient stuff? I mean, his BM stuff is pretty cool and sokt vokter was awesome, but.. really? People actually Landscapes? It makes burzum's ambient sound busy/interesting/well composed; definitely some of the worst attempts at "soundscapes" I've ever heard. The raw BM fan is by no means a discerning one, I guess.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:33 pm 

I agree about Landscapes, but Hardangervidda definitely can be enjoyable. It's not extremely simplistic and the keyboard sound is not annoying.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:42 pm 

Ladnscapes is the only Ildjarn release I just can't get completely into no matter how hard I try. Even in small doses it's so abstract and structureless that it simply loses me after a while. Hardangervidda is completely different. And completely awesome, I might add.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 pm 

Good news. I'm not much into Hate Forest but I'm eager to hear Ildjarn's material.

Surprising it isn't a bootleg, I never thought Vidar would approve the release of more of his songs after he finished with his band

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:08 am 

Sorry to bring an old topic up, but I like some Ildjarn, I really do. There's this ferocity and bestiality in his output that is rarely found in other bands' music. Would like to own the lyrics to Forest Poetry, I bet those could be quite interesting. But in some interview Vidar said, that he burnt them in a "necro" state of mind. What a loss.

I'm mostly into his more easily accesible albums like Ildjarn-Nidhogg and Sort Vokter though. Don't really know what to think about this particular release. I guess I don't need it. To be honest I've had Ildjarn is Dead 2LP for years but never listened to it. There's so much stuff on it, and I guess it's propably just typical Ildjarn demo noise in the vein of Forest Poetry. Ildjarn is not really an artist you can show to your friends and say "this rocks". The "epitaph" on Ildjarn is Dead was quite interesting though, stuff about fucking vegan girls and shit.

Tempered_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:26 pm 

Sounds very interesting, Ildjarn is a very unique artist in the black metal world, and the fact that Season of Mist is reproducing the entire back catalogue makes me pretty joyful

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:53 pm 

So, is there a release date yet?

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 am 

Associating Ildjarn with Hate Forest on a split CD is nonsense. What do both bands share in common, except the music genre and the fact they're one-man-bands?

Arjan333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 pm 

The first of the re-releases is out on CD; vinyl will follow later. It looks good. Audio is a new transfer the original source.

In stock at Eisenwald, Heidens Hart, etc.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:38 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Ladnscapes is the only Ildjarn release I just can't get completely into no matter how hard I try. Even in small doses it's so abstract and structureless that it simply loses me after a while. Hardangervidda is completely different. And completely awesome, I might add.

Hardangervidda is simply magic, I wasnt expecting nothing when I listened to it years ago and it took me by surprise. I would like to have it in physical format.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:41 am 

KFD wrote:
Associating Ildjarn with Hate Forest on a split CD is nonsense. What do both bands share in common, except the music genre and the fact they're one-man-bands?

Maybe if your knowledge about Hate Forest wasn't limited to the fact they are a one man band (they aren't. Ildjarn isn't fully either), you'd realize this isn't a controversial decision at all. Hate Forest's music, cold, raw, repetetive black metal fits the split with Ildjarn more than any of the satanic or whatever BM band. In addition to the obvious fact that another thing those bands have in common is that they're both dead and the split brings up unreleased material.

Agreed about Hardangervidda, just listened to it few days ago to get that Vikernes turd out of my head. Though I don't really understand people saying that Ildjarn's ambient material is the same as black metal with only instruments difference...

And nice to finally see rereleases. Hoping Forest Poetry and S&A won't be fucked with some shit cover.

Reply to topic