Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:08 pm 

That this constantly-refuted garbage gets peddled once more is hardly surprising, but coming from the NRA of all people? The nerve of these cunts is just surreal.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:26 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/21/nra-blames-violent-entertainment-for-shootings-eca-responds

Just... fuck you.

I bet that article caused at least a tiny bump in Bulletstorm sales.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:16 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
That this constantly-refuted garbage gets peddled once more is hardly surprising, but coming from the NRA of all people? The nerve of these cunts is just surreal.

Well of course, they need to get the idea of weapon legislation reform out of people's heads so they try to pass the scapegoat cup to the next usual suspect.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 pm 

Eh, don't think too much of it. It's just a matter of everyone looking at the NRA and the NRA trying to lose attention.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:03 pm 

Seeing as you're all talking about it, I'm going to go ahead and assume no-one here was impressionable enough to take part in this video game "ceasefire".

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:35 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/21/nra-blames-violent-entertainment-for-shootings-eca-responds

Just... fuck you.

So they don't want people to blame inanimate objects for killing but now they are. Makes sense.

Also this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaF9nbLo8as

Relevant and Penn and Teller are awesome.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:03 am 

Kahalachan wrote:

Relevant and Penn and Teller are awesome.

The guy at 4:58 :lol:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 pm 

Funny thing is I think over the years, I have lost a lot of my desire to play video games. Apparently there's a lot of people who still play video games when they get older, but picking up a game controller, ironically feels more awkward in my hands. I was playing Halo Reach today. I played one round and got too bored to continue playing. I actually got booted for killing some guy who kept shooting me. The whole joystick thing doesn't feel right to me either. Perhaps because I've played a lot of counterstrike recently, mouse is easier to use. Even counterstrike isn't very fun to me, it's just a time killer. So video games don't appeal to much anymore and I don't know why. I used to play them all the time.

Tempered_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:25 pm 

I actually feel the same way as metaldiscusor666, when I was younger I could play Video Games for twelve hours straight. Nowadays I find it hard to even play an hour, I suppose it may be because I enjoy reading much more.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:45 pm 

I think about the games I play a lot more than I did when I was younger. I was never aware of "mechanics" per se back then, but now I can scrutinize a game from a design perspective, and also look at video games as an entirely new medium, one that's still in its infancy. I look forward to watching it continue to grow.

Still, it's totally legitimate to feel the way you do. Right now, most video games are made with a younger audience in mind.

And here's an interview with Miyazaki re: Dark Souls II. I haven't read it yet but thought some here might find it interesting.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/196/G019660/20121222001/

For those of us who can't read Japanese, the kind folks at neogaf have translated it into English:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505206

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:43 pm 

That was a great interview. My concerns are somewhat reassured now...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:17 pm 

Been gaming for 20 years now and I'm not slowing down yet at all, never will. I'm big into metal (obviously) and anime as well, but videogames always come back on top for me.

I'll have to check out that interview, I was never worried about it at all though. From Software catering to anyone? If anyone it'd probably be solely to Japanese gamers, so I couldn't see the series losing its roots or anything.

I've dabbled into The Dark Mod. I can already tell I'm going to like this way more than Thief Deadly Shadows, way more. If TDD were made in the Doom 3/ id tech 4(?) engine it probably would've been way way better.

I'm up to "Killing Time" in TDD, so a good chunk in I believe. Still digging it, but probably not something I'll ever go back to after finishing it.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:40 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:

The troubled-gun-shooting fire triangle analogy bit was really bizarre. The fire triangle represents the combination of necessary ingredients for the making of the product, whereas in his triangle the product is already a necessary ingredient? Fuck.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:47 pm 

Has anyone tried Mark of the Ninja? It's pretty damn good if you want a pure stealth game.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:40 pm 

Tempered_Steel wrote:
I actually feel the same way as metaldiscusor666, when I was younger I could play Video Games for twelve hours straight. Nowadays I find it hard to even play an hour, I suppose it may be because I enjoy reading much more.

Well that's the thing. I am not (as) one track minded as I used to be. I usually don't even touch the computer until the afternoon, because I like to spend every morning running, not even watching television sometimes and just having a time to center my thoughts. Even on days when I'm not outside for hours, I like to just sit down and either listen to music or just do nothing. Getting into a game anymore perhaps feels too artificial. It's as though I'm not experiencing something that whelming or exciting, but just watching something happen in front of me. That's just not fun to me.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:53 pm 

Has anyone here played Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth?

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:08 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Has anyone tried Mark of the Ninja?

Sure. It's #3 on my GOTY 2012 list.

Morrigan wrote:
That was a great interview. My concerns are somewhat reassured now...

Judging by this review and the EDGE mag's featurette, game's gonna be awesome. For me at least.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Last edited by yentass on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:12 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Has anyone here played Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth?

It was kind of clunky and buggy but it was really tense and exciting, and could be pretty scary. I think to date this one moment in the game (when you have to fight two bosses at once, you'll know when you get there) ranks as the tensest gaming moment ever for me. It's really something that wouldn't be made today, as there tends to be a 'right path' but it doesn't direct you toward it very much at all. You just have to figure it out for yourself. For example early on you get chased through Innsmouth by basically the whole town, it's very frantic as you have zero chance of winning through killing everyone, so you just have to get away. But you have to figure out where to go at the same time, and once you get outside it's not clear, and meanwhile angry villagers are shooting at you. It's one of those games where you have to die a few times to figure things out, and may even have to consult a walkthrough.

Overall I think it did a really good job of porting the Lovecraftian thing to a game, though I question somewhat the decision of combining the Shadow out of Time stuff with the Shadow over Innsmouth material. In the Lovecraft stories there wasn't much of a connection between the two, and the connection isn't really solidified in the game either. But the focus is 99% on the Innsmouth/Dagon material, so it doesn't really matter.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:46 pm 

Mmmmm, good to hear that. Being the huge Lovecraft buff I am, my attention has been somewhat drawn to it for the past few days. Will most likely get it when I obtain some money. I also remember other horror game that wasn't so much based on Lovecraft's writings as it was heavily inspired by them. It was something related to three different gods battling for dominance, and there was a big cast of characters that spanned centuries, but I can't remember the game's name for the life of me...... It seemed very interesting though.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:53 pm 

You're thinking of Eternal Darkness. I've played it like 6 times and it's really, really good. Gamecube only, unfortunately.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:06 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
You're thinking of Eternal Darkness. I've played it like 6 times and it's really, really good. Gamecube only, unfortunately.

Oh :(

Damn, I really wanted to play the thing.....

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:30 pm 

Honestly Gamecubes are super cheap these days, might be worth picking up a used one. If you're into survival horror the Resident Evil 1 remake is really good too, also a GC exclusive.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:06 pm 

I've also seen very pretty pictures of people running gamecube emulators. Playing GC games with AA and a high res does wonders for the ancient graphics. Gamepad support would likely be an issue though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:13 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
I've also seen very pretty pictures of people running gamecube emulators. Playing GC games with AA and a high res does wonders for the ancient graphics. Gamepad support would likely be an issue though.

Pretty simple, actually. Hook up a PS2 controller, configure video and gamepad settings, and nowadays the best GC emulators will run just fine on most game-friendly computers. I've got SSBM sitting on my comp right now, with minimal slowdown )when there's a ton of characters on screen) on low power settings. All I need to do in that case is jump from low power to balanced power and it solves the problem.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:25 pm 

I played Dark Corners of the Earth a few months ago and got pretty far (I was at the boat-part for those familiar with the game) until my laptop crashed and I lost all my saves. Failsafeman pretty much nailed it in describing how frantic the game is, although I kinda feel that the stealth mechanic they implemented (and on which you need to rely a shitload early in the game) is clunky and doesn't work very well. Needless to say, getting that far and losing my saves doesn't really get me in the mood of playing it all over again anytime soon at all!

Eternal Darkness is one of my favorite games ever, if you can get your hands on a copy and get a Gamecube from somewhere definitely go and play it, it's amazing!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:48 pm 

Ouch, that boat part is pretty far in. Right before the huge final level, I'm pretty sure. Yeah the stealth mechanic isn't the best, but IIRC you can do OK by just running away. It's one of those games that definitely has faults, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me. Could have been wayyyy better with some polish, though.

Also the ending to the first Borderlands was really bad. Finally got the damn vault open, beat the final boss (who was super super easy) and I go to gather my loot and my reward was...a blue POS pistol. Honestly aside from the gun system the game was kinda mediocre. Time to play through some of the DLC, I guess.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:23 pm 

yentass wrote:
Dandelo wrote:
Has anyone tried Mark of the Ninja?

Sure. It's #3 on my GOTY 2012 list.

I would go as far as saying it probably is the best thing I've played all year. But I haven't played that much stuff from 2012 to be honest.

It's worth saying, The Walking Dead Ep1 is free on XBLA for a few days. Merry Christmas also, you lovable bunch of scummers.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:14 am 

Based on Christmas presents here's what I have to say on games.

Assassin's Creed 3 multiplayer seems more fun than single player. Single player is just a cutscene, do a few things, cutscene, repeat. Multiplayer is fun though. It's pretty much figure out who is human and who is the computer and kill the humans. So any impatient idiot running around will stick out. You have to pretend to be the game AI which is interesting and fun.

When AI gets more complex this concept will be a lot more interesting. Basically a Turing test in game form.

Wii U is a nice present but not a must have thing I'd go out and buy. It's an upgraded Wii. It's a giant 3DS. It's a ipad without portability. It's Nintendo Facebook.

So if all of these are super awesome ideas then OK get a Wii U. Otherwise, if you want to save money and buy smart, then see what Sony and Microsoft put out next.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:17 am 

I got a free download code for Assassin's Creed 3 with my new video card. It's a shame I'm too broke to buy the case and HDD, the final missing pieces to my doorway to gaming Nirvana.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:36 am 

GC's might be cheap, but it's worth noting the component cables are hardly that.

So I'd say just buy an older model Wii instead if you wanna play some GC stuff. I'm still so pissed I accidentally bought a new model when I bought a Wii again, I stay so out of the loop when it comes to Nintendo stuff and there was no fucking indicator on the box that it didn't play GC stuff. But mostly I was lazy for not trying to take it back, haha. I just plan to get a used older model someday and mod it for imports and stuff. I'm still really interested in checking out Pandora's Tower and I think there's fan translations for some stuff like Fatal Frame IV. But yeah, still some GC stuff I need to check out like Eternal Darkness, so I need to get that Wii someday.

Aren't there some Panzer Dragoon fans here? I still need to check those out... guess I should grab the original, II, and Orta while I can, but Saga...
Panzer Dragoon Saga by "Sega of America, Inc." (Video Game)
$1,449.95 new (2 offers)
$399.99 used (3 offers)

Um yeah guess I'll just play that on my modded Saturn. :lol:

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:04 am 

I remember playing the demo for the Panzer Dragoon game that came out for the original Xbox. It was an on rails shooter. At the time I didn't know about the Saturn Dragoon games (I just knew the xbox one was a remake). When I found out they were RPGs, I wished that was what we had gotten on the Xbox as well.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:15 am 

Only Panzer Dragoon Saga is an RPG.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:44 am 

i know because they are not exactly the same kinda game but far cry 3 or XCOM: enemy unknown which would everyone pick? i am trying to decide between the 2 i read a few people here are not a fan of far cry 3

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:12 pm 

I think your question shouldn't be "what to get?" but rather "what to get first?". In which case I'd go with XCOM, just for the mere fact you can get it for as low as $17.50 now if you act really fast and use the GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 voucher.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:43 pm 

yentass wrote:
I think your question shouldn't be "what to get?" but rather "what to get first?". In which case I'd go with XCOM, just for the mere fact you can get it for as low as $17.50 now if you act really fast and use the GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 voucher.

Done and done. Thanks for bringing this deal up, that really is pretty insane for such a recent game. I activated it on Steam and should be playing it in the next week or so.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:50 pm 

Games I've purchased since the steam sale: Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Max Payne 1-3, Prince of Persia 1-5, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2, and like 7 Warhammer Dawn of War games. Today, AC3 goes is added as well. They finally lowered the price on that b->. Almost $125 for 20 games isn't so bad.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:17 pm 

Hm, you probably shouldn't have bothered with L4D1. L4D2 is superior in just about every way, except maybe characters. More guns, more zombie types, more varied levels, etc.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:22 pm 

I wish Dawn of War was better. Oh well .. Company of Heroes 2 will be out eventually. That'll slake my RTS thirst, since StarCraft and I aren't really talking anymore. It wasn't mutual.

And yeah, L4D2 has replay value far higher than 1. I was just playing co-op games last night. satisfying.

oh .. also: The Walking Dead is good.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:29 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Hm, you probably shouldn't have bothered with L4D1. L4D2 is superior in just about every way, except maybe characters. More guns, more zombie types, more varied levels, etc.

Probably, but the bundle was cheap enough. No real harm done on that, like when I got Max Payne 3 for $14.99 instead of a whopping $59.99 (now that would have made me pissed).

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:07 pm 

I bought some games at the Steam Sale but in all honesty, GoG deserves some love too! For all the Turn-based Strategy and/or RPG fans; it's Might and Magic Madness today! 75% off the entire collection or 50% off individual M&M games, definitely worth it!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469 ... 940  Next