Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:45 pm 

I didn't find the carnival music to be offensive; it was integrated pretty well, actually. But the song as a whole was just underwhelming as fuck.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:21 pm 

I like this.

Baphomatt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:36 pm 

I thought the first album was genius. Psychedelic Satanic Pink Floyd? It's a brilliant idea, and one that I haven't seen done to that hand-polished quality before. Really eager for this next one.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:51 pm 

No interest in carnival sounding stuff, hope the rest of the new album has more to do with the simple, straight ahead style they adhered to on Opus.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:26 pm 

http://gunshyassassin.com/news/ghost-na ... stissumam/

So yeah, the new album is not called Secular Haze. Instead, it's this.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:19 am 

^ Hmm. Interesting.

Was anyone from the MA forums there at Linköping?
Back to the single, I didn't quite enjoy it. I think the band has really overexposed themselves for whatever reasons and now I feel there's a shift in their music as compared to 'Opus Eponymous'. Still too early to say though, let's see when 'Infestissumam' comes out.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:21 am 

http://www.infestissumam.com/

And a tracklist too.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:44 pm 

incredibly underwhelming.

Germaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:28 pm 

The Circus music was the best part. And I don't really see how this is comparable to Portrait.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:33 pm 

Wow you guys are terrible. I never liked Ghost to begin with but I think he organs are great. Doesn't remind me of a circus at all. Very dark. This is why I hate musical cliches.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:04 pm 

Except that it is exactly that "boo-bapbap boo-bapbap" carnival theme.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 pm 

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/ghost-bc-secular-haze

The video for Secular Haze has been released. Just like the music, it's very throwback.

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:02 pm 

How is this band heavy enough to get onto Metal Archives? Maybe it's just the weak production sound, but even when I tried getting into this band I couldn't shake the feeling that this band were more gothic pop rock then doom metal, or regular heavy metal. I'm dead serious, the singer has zero power in his voice and sounds like he's trying to imitate a pop singer and the guitars sound is completely sterile.....On top of all that, the music sounds like a bland Blue Oyster Cult rip-off. I’m glad to hear that I’m the only person who thinks that this band sucks.

Ladies and gentleman, I think we've found our new trend genre for the decade.....Carnival Metal!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 pm 

They're not really trying to be doom metal though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:01 pm 

Have you even heard their first album? It's heavy metal and heavy enough to qualify. It's also neither gothic or doom metal.

The vid is cool, a Top of the Pops homage or something.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:16 pm 

I'd say they're kinda borderline, I myself still think the debut is more rock than metal, but there is enough metal there that I don't find their presence an affront. But yeah, not doom, nobody should call them doom

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Have you even heard their first album? It's heavy metal and heavy enough to qualify. It's also neither gothic or doom metal.

Yes I have, that's why I said that! Their first album isn't metal, and I was only referring to the people who called it doom. As for it being gothic, I can only think of Ghost as gothic pop rock, not any sort of heavy metal. Their sound is way too weak; too limp, to be called any sort of heavy metal. They sound more like a teenage goth rock band with a misguided Blue Oyster Cult and Mercyful Fate influence.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:34 pm 

That was rather boring and forgettable, I see Ghost hasn't become interesting yet... All I managed to get out of it was a desire to listen to The Phantom Limbs.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 pm 

I absolutely love the debut, but that song was REALLY boring. The carnivalesque keyboards were downright annoying. I'll check it out when released, but I don't have high hopes for the sophomore.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 pm 

I never thought the debut was 'heavy' it's like proto traditional. it has more in common with Blue Oyster Cult, but I'm fine with that cause I love me some BoC. But this new material has made me not care anymore.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:44 am 

Hmmm, it's like they're trying a bit harder to be less static and plain, but they're still very dull. Naff vocals, certainly, and Dave Grohl's on the b-side. :lol:

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 am 

That music video was pure genius if ask me, exactly how I would have envisioned it. Looked like it was filmed for a 70's TV-Show. As for the song, not really that good. And I am not a fan of this band at all, too old.

I think most you people misunderstand the point of this band, It's supposed to be stripped-down and easy. Because it supposed to be catchy for a broader audience. This is like made for the 7 year old me, I would love it and ask my parents for their Cd's and posters etc.
This is like made for the kids that loved Kiss, Alice Cooper and horror movies in the 70's

As for genre, it doesn't matter. who fucking cares?

No they are not metal by the websites standards and shouldn't be here, but neither should bands like Rush. And if Ghost is approved, Both Blue Öyster Cult and Alice Cooper Should be approved.

But it doesn't matter, metal heads are too hung up on genres, it is almost ridiculous.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Hmmm, it's like they're trying a bit harder to be less static and plain, but they're still very dull. Naff vocals, certainly, and Dave Grohl's on the b-side. :lol:

And? Dave Grohl's kind of awesome.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:06 am 

Well, he's synonymous with shite, mainstream rock music... so I find it very appropriate that he's drumming on a Ghost track. :P I've never been a fan of his drumming, either, I can't really see why he's so revered as a drummer, to be honest. That, and he's a horrid songwriter.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 pm 

Foo Fighters is great, as is Nirvana.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:38 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Well, he's synonymous with shite, mainstream rock music... so I find it very appropriate that he's drumming on a Ghost track. :P I've never been a fan of his drumming, either, I can't really see why he's so revered as a drummer, to be honest. That, and he's a horrid songwriter.

What's wrong with mainstream rock music? You come across as an idiot. If he is such a bad song-writer then It's weird that he has sold so many records. It's not like he was hyped by record companies back in the day. He recorded some songs and released an album that was really an unexpected hit and is considered one of the biggest records of the nineties. No one would have expected the "unknown" drummer of Nirvana to achieve such a feat. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad song-writing. I am not a foo fighters fan myself, but I can recognize good song-writing if I like it or not. Crawl back to the hole you came from and listen to some obscure music that you pretend to like.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:44 pm 

About the new Ghost track, it's completely abysmal, way worse than the debut. Papa wtf managed to fuck it even moreso than his already lackluster performance on Opus.

Dave Grohl's drumming is completely average. He just made it big with Nirvana and seems to enjoy some metal, that's all. It's like saying that Ulrich is awesome, c'mon and both are sucessful guys. When in hell to sell records = quality songwriting? let's praise the current shitty pop trend or Nickelback.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:05 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
About the new Ghost track, it's completely abysmal, way worse than the debut. Papa wtf managed to fuck it even moreso than his already lackluster performance on Opus.

Dave Grohl's drumming is completely average. He just made it big with Nirvana and seems to enjoy some metal, that's all. It's like saying that Ulrich is awesome, c'mon and both are sucessful guys. When in hell to sell records = quality songwriting? let's praise the current shitty pop trend or Nickelback.

So you are trying to say that Metallica has bad song-writing? Technical ability doesn't have anything to do with song-writing. Lars Ulrich has a lot to do with the Metallica's Success as he arranged many of the songs. Is he a technical drummer, no. I am not a fan of Ghost, Foo Fighters or Metallica, but I see it is good songwriting. But if you are only into progressive technical music and you can't see the power of simplicity and a couple of power chords, then I understand that you react the way you do. The "I hate pop music because it easily accessible"-mentality is just weird to me. But I guess it is Impossible to have this conversation on a Metal board, as Metal is probably the only music some of you listen to. And yes there is a lot of garbage on the tube and what not, that is hyped by the record companies (look up the term 'hyping' in music). But that is something you probably don't know anything about. You should also check up the term "turntable hits" as it describes music that is overplayed in the media with-out any substantial sales. So yes, song writing has something to do with sales. There will probably always be someone who pulls some strings when it comes to what gets into the charts, but it's up to the people what really sell. People want what is easily accessible. So hearing a song on the radio or on television every day will probably make it easier for you to like it. But in the end it is the good songwriting that gets remembered and replayed, and sell records in many years to come.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:36 pm 

693 wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

What's wrong with mainstream rock music? You come across as an idiot. If he is such a bad song-writer then It's weird that he has sold so many records. It's not like he was hyped by record companies back in the day. He recorded some songs and released an album that was really an unexpected hit and is considered one of the biggest records of the nineties. No one would have expected the "unknown" drummer of Nirvana to achieve such a feat. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad song-writing. I am not a foo fighters fan myself, but I can recognize good song-writing if I like it or not. Crawl back to the hole you came from and listen to some obscure music that you pretend to like.

:lol: Oh c'mon.

There's nothing wrong with mainstream rock music and nowhere in my post did I imply that the problem with Grohl's (or Ghost's) music is that it's "mainstream". Likewise, plenty of my favourite bands/albums could easily be called mainstream rock. The problem would be that I think it's "shite"; lazily-written, lowest common denominator stuff. On the other hand, the "zillions of flies eat shit, so it must taste good" argument won't get you far.

And yeah, his success was really unexpected, coming from that tiny, backwaters band, Nirvana. Alright so maybe he didn't have the same hype/gimmicks Ghost do, haha.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm 

693 wrote:
That music video was pure genius if ask me, exactly how I would have envisioned it. Looked like it was filmed for a 70's TV-Show. As for the song, not really that good. And I am not a fan of this band at all, too old.

Considering the retro-vibes that Ghost is associated with, I didn't expect anything less actually. But the video is purely a performance video...nothing great about it. How is it pure genius?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:11 pm 

Well it does fit the band and their sound perfectly. I don't think it's genius, but it's still a cool video and a great throwback to a style of video that's never even really talked about much anymore.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 pm 

That was the worst. Oh man, I can't believe people eat this up. Honestly, what's the appeal? No riffs and what little guitar work there was blew chunks. Keyboard was annoying and unimaginative through out. The drumming was essentially irrelevant but even it's sound managed to irk me pretty quickly. And let's not forget those vocals, not terrible I suppose, but not good either. His tone sucked, the vocal melodies sucked, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I get convinced that Ghost is worth anything. And why are they playing on some old Austin powers cut scene set? It doesn't even add to the atmosphere that they're attempting to create. Its almost the exact opposite. And what's so great about bad cinematography?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:53 pm 

693 wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

So you are trying to say that Metallica has bad song-writing? Technical ability doesn't have anything to do with song-writing. Lars Ulrich has a lot to do with the Metallica's Success as he arranged many of the songs. Is he a technical drummer, no. I am not a fan of Ghost, Foo Fighters or Metallica, but I see it is good songwriting. But if you are only into progressive technical music and you can't see the power of simplicity and a couple of power chords, then I understand that you react the way you do. The "I hate pop music because it easily accessible"-mentality is just weird to me. But I guess it is Impossible to have this conversation on a Metal board, as Metal is probably the only music some of you listen to. And yes there is a lot of garbage on the tube and what not, that is hyped by the record companies (look up the term 'hyping' in music). But that is something you probably don't know anything about. You should also check up the term "turntable hits" as it describes music that is overplayed in the media with-out any substantial sales. So yes, song writing has something to do with sales. There will probably always be someone who pulls some strings when it comes to what gets into the charts, but it's up to the people what really sell. People want what is easily accessible. So hearing a song on the radio or on television every day will probably make it easier for you to like it. But in the end it is the good songwriting that gets remembered and replayed, and sell records in many years to come.

Nah man, my fav black metal band is Burzum, go figure how technical I like my metal.

I don't hate pop music per se (in fact I listen a lot of 80's/90's pop like MJ, George Michael, Depeche Mode, Madonna, A-ha and such), I was referring to the fact that to sell many records is not an indicative of the quality, for the better or the worse, not just in a negative way. Still there are pop artists that are nothing but bad fast-food packed crap that sells more for the aesthetics than the quality of their songwriting or performances. Incidentally, I think the same about Ghost and I predict they'll be forgotten kinda soon.

From a technical standpoint, tell me what's the great thing about Grohl's drumming? I don't find anything than a plain average drummer can't play or create by him/herself. About his songwriting skills, Foo Fighters songs are pretty standard: the usual a-b-a-b-c-a-b formula with incipid and recycled 'riffing' with a lack of character that pleases girls and kids that worked well for him and that's cool for the fans who like that kind of music. There are people who like Coldplay, Keane or Britney Spears, the world is big enough for everyone.

If I want to read your post in a flawed way, I would say that you think metal sucks or is inferior cause it doesn't sell as well as mainstream pop? it's too simplistic and wrong to think like that and I don't think you're like that.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:58 pm 

Dave Grohl is no doubt a good drummer but terribly bland and a lame songwriter, just like the entire generation of musicians that spawned shortly after him. I don't think he exactly belongs in a band like Ghost but I can't speak much on that matter because I don't find them all that appealing either.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 pm 

Great new song + clip. Curious to hear more.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:43 pm 

The video is laughable at best. A bunch of hooded musicians wobbling around playing the same nonsense over and over. The circus keys (I think that's a proper way to call them) don't help this song at all, really.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:14 pm 

loved it! cant wait for the new album. Video fits the music so well

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:29 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Nah man, my fav black metal band is Burzum, go figure how technical I like my metal.

I don't hate pop music per se (in fact I listen a lot of 80's/90's pop like MJ, George Michael, Depeche Mode, Madonna, A-ha and such), I was referring to the fact that to sell many records is not an indicative of the quality, for the better or the worse, not just in a negative way. Still there are pop artists that are nothing but bad fast-food packed crap that sells more for the aesthetics than the quality of their songwriting or performances. Incidentally, I think the same about Ghost and I predict they'll be forgotten kinda soon.

From a technical standpoint, tell me what's the great thing about Grohl's drumming? I don't find anything than a plain average drummer can't play or create by him/herself. About his songwriting skills, Foo Fighters songs are pretty standard: the usual a-b-a-b-c-a-b formula with incipid and recycled 'riffing' with a lack of character that pleases girls and kids that worked well for him and that's cool for the fans who like that kind of music. There are people who like Coldplay, Keane or Britney Spears, the world is big enough for everyone.

If I want to read your post in a flawed way, I would say that you think metal sucks or is inferior cause it doesn't sell as well as mainstream pop? it's too simplistic and wrong to think like that and I don't think you're like that.

Burzum's 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss' and 'Filosofem' has some good songwriting. Something that not one "stripped-down" black metal band has achieved afterwards to the same extent, but that is just my opinion. Some of Burzum songs are so iconic and memorable that they become classics. And that is what I view as good Songwriting. The easiest riff can often be the best one. "Less is more" sometimes and sometimes "more is more". You seem to apply that; if someone isn't technically proficient they can't make good music. That's how you came across to me.

The Pop music you mentioned, a lot of good songwriting. And you just proved my point. These artist still sell records when they haven't done anything remarkable for a long time. Is the music Technical? No. Are they pop garbage? You don't think so as you clearly like them. But they sell records because it is good songwriting. Is the drum beats to MJ songs hard to play? No.

Ghost being remembered or not, I don't know. But I think if the new album has the same amount of catchy memorable songs as the last one did, they will have great success. As mentioned earlier; I didn't think the new song was that good, and didn't live up to the quality of their first album, but I see why some people might like it anyway.

As for Dave Grohl as drummer, I didn't say he was technical at all, I just think he knows when to use what he knows, same goes for Ulrich. Do you think a Jazz-drummer would do a good job in Nirvana? He would know to much, and have a hard time to limit himself and fit into the niche. I don't like Foo Fighters, but when I hear some of their songs, I think it is good song-writing. And standard song structuring can also be good song-writing, like it or not, but you should know as you like a-ha, their song 'take on me' has the same song-structure as hundreds of other famous songs. Does this make it bad song-writing?

No, I don't think metal sucks. And I like a lot of Metal, or else I wouldn't be here. But it seems like you think that all music that doesn't fit into your view of good music, does. If something is popular, and you don't understand it. Doesn't mean it is bad, and everyone who likes it is a idiot.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 pm 

This video on song were great. Their debut was a fun listen...this sounds more psychedelic and doomy. Looking forward to the ablm.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:20 pm 

@693, I think you didn't get that well my post, but anyway.

As for the video, sounds and looks completely dishonest.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next