Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ProlificDreamer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:29 am 

Firstly, I should probably apologise, as the search feature is 'temporarily unavailable', and this has probably already been addressed. Please feel free to link me to another post.

But where does everyone collect their tabs from? For the longest time I've been using 911tabs, but it's pretty dire. I find myself learning songs I don't care about. I've been trying to find some Possessed, Vallenfyre, and Gorefest tabs (to name a few, without going into obscure black metal bands I'd like to learn) and if there is any tabs at all, it's of songs I don't want to play. Something like Gorefest's Erase would be great.

I should mention I'm not a prolific musician, and I can't play by ear, so "learn from YouTube" comments don't help too much.

So, anyone got any better websites for me to check out?

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:31 am 

Ultimate Guitar, occasionally Metaltabs and Rivers of Gore.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:35 pm 

My mind and ears.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:22 pm 

Goran wrote:
Ultimate Guitar, occasionally Metaltabs and Rivers of Gore.

the last two webpages are pretty neat and have some interesting stuff you wont find in 911tabs

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 pm 

UG and Metaltabs when they come through, their copyright issues took away a lot years ago though.

Rivers of Gore is useful but mostly for death metal, especially the brutal kind specifically.

Though depending on the band these days i usually just figure it out myself when tabs fail, but this mostly applies to punk, black metal, primitive death metal, or less technical speed/thrash metal. I can occasionally figure out more complex stuff but it takes significantly longer of course to do so.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 am 

I use Songsterr mostly. Some of the stuff isn't accurate, but it plays for you ala MIDI files and is usually good enough to at least give you a feel for what everything is, and how it interacts with the rest of the parts.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:41 am 

I use Ultimate Guitar as a starting point, but there are far more guitar tabs than bass tabs - or in un-necessary tunings (I don't often play in D-standard, for instance.) so I use them to varying degrees and translate them. I try to figure stuff out by ear, but I'm not that great at it (yet?).

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:38 am 

It's probably not what you want to hear but those sites mentioned are amongst the best you will find. If a tab doesn't exist you may have to work on figuring the song yourself.

If you struggle working from ear there are some things you can do to make it easier.
Copying the audio into recording software such as audacity and isolating the left or right channel will often make it easier to hear what is going on (especially if the guitars tracks were panned hard left and right).
Set a section on repeat and work on riffs one at a time and simply move around the neck until you find a notes that sound right (focusing on the bass can help when working out chords as once you have the bass note you can work on the voicing of the chord from there).

If it doesn't come naturally it can be hard going as i found, but doing this helped my playing and ear immensely (i still suck, just less so)

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am 

In addition to hayisforhorses suggestion about isolating left and right channel, a lot of softwares will also slow the track down for you while correcting for pitch, which can be useful for figuring out really fast stuff.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:45 pm 

Honestly the hadest part in my opinion in figuring out how to play songs is getting the tuning right. Once that is determined it is just going over the song. I've never slowed a song down but that sounds like it would help immensely. The issue I have is tone of the original recording that sometimes creates a wall of noise that is hard to decipher.

ProlificDreamer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm 

Thanks for the replies, but unfortunately I find all these sites just upload the same tabs as the rest of them.

Also, Rivers of Gore was pretty terrible. It has almost no tabs.

The ideas for tips on how to play by ear are cool though. I'm going to try slowing it down. At least if it's slowed I can get the chance to match the pitch and try work out the broken chords and rapid tremolo picking.

Cheers, feel free to post any more tab site suggestions.

Reply to topic