Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16 pm 

http://secularhaze.com/

Ghost have launched this site which plays new music from them, which presumably will be on their next album. The site's name can also be potentially construed as the title of their upcoming second album, which I'm for because it's just a good ass name. As for the music, I didn't expect it to sound like it does, but I still enjoy the little bit of it that's up on the site.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:21 pm 

The sample which played makes one thing clear. Ghost may well be A Forest of Stars...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:17 pm 

It really caught me off guard that it sounds like circus music. Still, as I said, it's Ghost.

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:19 pm 

Here's the full song with vocals. I'm pretty excited about this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN2GCjPh0Hw

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:33 pm 

Wowzers, I'm liking this! Which is pretty suprising considering I really didn't like Opus Eponymous.. Is it just me or have the vocals become infinitely better? I remember them to be really thin and kind weak, but the vocals in this song are, well, just really good. Could just be the layering though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:37 pm 

I like it, the keys are very cool. It's as catchy as the first album, but it's a bit different, it's more proggy.

Henk: the vocals are not quite different, there's some whispering, but that's about. Maybe you should check the first album again!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:43 pm 

Yep, I just checked out Con Clavi Con Dio and I'm digging it. Now to find out why I didn't like it in the first place. I do favor a more proggy approach though, so the upcoming album is something to look forward to.

EDIT Ok, I listened to a couple more songs from their debut, and the vocals do become a little floaty and thin if exposed to them for to long. Still pretty good, but the new song blows it out of the water.

Last edited by henkkjelle on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:49 pm 

Hey, really liking this new tune so far. I haven't been able to get into Opus Eponymous, but this sounds much better, being catchier, more interesting, and just slightly more intricate. Vocals have improved too, and aren't nearly as floaty and weak-sounding as in OE. Will most likely check it out when it's released.

jeanshack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:47 pm 

Few months back I had seen them live, it was quite a while since I had the opportunity to listen to something this banal and crap, I really think their music has scarred my brains. Yes they have definitely scaled new heights for theatricality but then I prefer music to drama.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:50 pm 

The video says download at SecularHaze.com, I don't see a download link or anything. I don't rip from youtube, I want muh glorious 320 ;_; But overall this new track is pretty good and definitely looking forward to the new album.

Edit: Apparently they send you a dl link to your e-mail?

Last edited by ~Guest 224282 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:00 pm 

In the red text that says "Make an Email Offering", type your email address. I'm assuming it adds you to Ghost's mailing list.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:02 pm 

The new Ghost sample was so unbelievably bad. It sounded like ICP's carnival intros mixed in with some other awful sound effects, I hope to god the rest of the album doesn't sound like that.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:04 pm 

Subrick wrote:
In the red text that says "Make an Email Offering", type your email address. I'm assuming it adds you to Ghost's mailing list.

Yeah, I've already done that yesterday. Damn, 2013 is going to be badass for new releases. Also I like listening to each instrument on the secularhaze site, the bass line is sweet.

And Veracs, I doubt the whole album will be a circus theme, but this is a pretty good song, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully a rough release date will be given soon.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:08 pm 

The vocals in the song remind me most of Prime Mover from Opus Eponymous.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:12 pm 

Is this a joke? I hope it is. This song is pretty bad, but above all it's boring. The vocals still haven't improved, and the keyboards in this song are laughable. This further reinforces my dislike towards them.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:41 pm 

I thought this song was great. But they clearly spent that obscene amount of recording money on hookers and drugs because it doesn't sound THAT much better than the debut.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:59 pm 

Don't fix what isn't broken.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:54 pm 

Cool song. Hypnotic keyboards and neat music. If you didn't like the first one, you probably won't like this. But hey, I did, and I'm pretty excited to see what they release next.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:11 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw46NrTGhWE

Video of the song being performed live, with a snippet of Genesis at the start. Also, Papa Emeritus I is now Papa Emeritus II.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:29 pm 

There's two Papas \m/ It was probably for some kind of gimmick "transition" but it's funny.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:56 pm 

No offense to the people who like this, but for the sake of throwing in some more differing opinions since many people seem to like it:

Spoiler: show
This is absolutely terrible, in almost every conceivable way, :lol:. I can honestly say that this is some of the worst music I have heard all year (I have only heard maybe 10-11 albums though). The vocals are weak and monotonous, the riffs are generic and never really grab my attention, the keyboards sound like something King Diamond would have rejected from the sessions of "The Graveyard", and the drum beat was annoying as fuck. I was never really all that impressed by this band (In Solitude and Portrait are much better in my opinion), but crap, what were they thinking?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:03 am 

Is there really a need to use a spoiler, enigmatech? I mean, it's not like anyone is going to be offended by your opinion. Hell, if anyone feels offended by it, then he/she is probably an idiot.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:06 am 

You've only ever heard 11 albums? How old are you? And don't you think that very fact would make your critical sense unreliable and easily ignorable by everyone else at best?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:13 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
You've only ever heard 11 albums? How old are you? And don't you think that very fact would make your critical sense unreliable and easily ignorable by everyone else at best?

:???:
and enigmatech wrote:
(...) I can honestly say that this is some of the worst music I have heard all year (I have only heard maybe 10-11 albums though).

Okay, didn't pay attention to this..... But I guess this kinda puts your comment under a different light.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:36 am 

enigmatech wrote:
I have only heard maybe 10-11 albums though

And I thought I was bad for only having heard about 50 releases this year :lol: anyway, different strokes for different folks. I can't really understand the whole bad copy of King Diamond stuff as that's kind of the whole point of the band is to be a different take on that sound coupled with a nice "gimmick"(the satanism stuff). I can understand the weak vocals though, they have a nice tone but they're not really "strong", although I can get past it. Everything else instrumentation-wise is pretty good.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 am 

Not all vocals have to be booming and powerful. The vocals in Ghost work perfect in the context of the band's music.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:21 am 

Enigmatech has no confidence in his opinions, he needs to put a spoiler tag over them probably because he knows they're shitty!

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:51 am 

Can't say I'm looking forward to this at all now that I've heard that track. Though, their debut, while pretty funny and entertaining in the beginning, got old fast. That new track was terrible.

The_Infinite
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:40 am 

I don't think it's terrible. I think I'd like it if it wasn't for the repetitive, annoying circus melody and the lack of variety. But then, I'll probably have to listen to the album in its entirety when it's out.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 am 

Garchomp4ever wrote:
enigmatech wrote:
I have only heard maybe 10-11 albums though

And I thought I was bad for only having heard about 50 releases this year :lol:

I've heard just two or three albums (released in this year) from start to finnish.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:25 am 

I actually think the riff meets circus music thing is better than anything off that turd of a debut, the chorus is ok, which together make it the best thing they've done, but goddamn it drags, it has like two ideas for a 5 minute run time, so that kills my goodwill a fair bit.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:31 am 

That sounded like midi guitar and everything. Not actual guitar. If this is actually how the album will sound production wise then I def don't care or want it. Cause it sounds weak as fuck and neutered. I can't even really pay attention to the actual song cause of that.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:45 am 

Well I don't need a spoiler tag to show my dislike. I don't mind clean vocals but I just can't get behind the vocals with Ghost. Don't like them at all because they don't have enough power behind them. Sure not all vocals have to be powerful but with the music they are playing its almost necessary at least for me.

The song overall isn't too bad but can't really hear the guitars and bass for the most part and the keyboards overpower it. Drum beat is kind of annoying. Don't understand why people like this band so much. Way better bands doing what this band is doing and better like In Solitude and Portrait.

The whole gimmick with their costumes is pretty lame as well. They somehow took Portals wardrobe and made it really uncool.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:52 am 

Very cool stuff. I'll enjoy listening to this when it comes out.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:50 pm 

It reminds me of the music for the old video game Carnival that we used to play as kids.
Seems Ghost is ditching their phony occult schtick to become the first Circus music inspired rock band.

Horrible stuff.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:54 pm 

They were already beaten to the punch in that regard by Pandora's Toybox, whose entire premise revolves around demented carnivals.

https://soundcloud.com/mortemcadaver/pa ... ing-demise

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:56 pm 

Killer stuff. Really digging the vocals and the keyboards. Guitar tone is kinda weak, but I'll judge again after everyone in my house wakes up and I can crank it.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:17 pm 

ogmetal wrote:
It reminds me of the music for the old video game Carnival that we used to play as kids.
Seems Ghost is ditching their phony occult schtick to become the first Circus music inspired rock band.

Horrible stuff.

Truth. They suck. Violent J approves of this song..."If only it had more rapping and swearing..."

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 pm 

Damn, this sounds like a joke King Diamond recorded somewhere in time completely wasted that he threw on the trashcan and this guys picked up only to make it worse. I can't see the appealing of this band; lame vocals with weak-as-fuck King Diamond features, bland riffs, ridiculous keys. I guess it's the aesthetic value what made them to stand out, but I usually care more of the music, so I pass.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:40 pm 

Don't worry, it's like that hype for Scar Symmetry that appeared 5 years (or so) ago. "Bon Jovi + Metal derp" People (hipsters and otherwise) will move on.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next