Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:14 pm 

BoxCar Willy wrote:
Anyone here familiar with Hypothermia? They're a lo-fi folk black band. Pretty droney at times. Has anyone heard anything like them?

Trist(cze) would be one of the more obvious recommendations, and you'll also probably like bands like Inferi(fin), Vesano, Black Silence, and Öde amongst countless other bands. If you weren't already familiar with the genre, these bands are generally considered to play DSBM. Though I'm not really sure if Hypothermia's more recent work still matches that term.

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:31 am 

Malthus wrote:
Although it was released in 2002, you may be interested in Dödfödd, they remind me more of the pioneering DSBM bands, esp Strid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiRE14_eLxs
I am looking for old bands. Still this is a solid band I can get into one day.
The_Erlking wrote:
SSatanicSSatan, be sure to check out Bethlehem if you already haven't. Some don't view them as depressive black metal but nonetheless they contributed to the birth of that particular niche. A lot of suicidal depressive black metal is influenced by the band. I recommend their second album Dictius Te Necare.
I have heard the debut and I really like it. I will be sure to check out their other albums.
Hellbeast11 wrote:
Besides Burzum? Aäkon Këëtrëh - in atmosphere and sound pretty much of what DSBM is nowadays.
I like the demo "Dans La Forêt..." but the reviews for the other release are not that great. Are they worth checking out?
Quote:
Abyssic Hate - Depression & Life is a Pain in the Neck from 1995/6
I am an Abyssic Hate fan. This release is quality instrumental Black Metal.
Quote:
Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland from 1998
Sounds pretty good.
Quote:
Ancient Wisdom - For Snow... & The Calling from 1996/7
This sounds great. The keys are refreshing. What is even better is this is a 1 man band.
Quote:
In the Woods - Heart of the Ages from 1995
Know this. I love this album as well as everything I have heard by in In the Woods... This one is probably my favorite In The Woods... album.
hey wrote:
I doubt it was very influential, but Ravens over the Road of Kings by Nidhoggr might also be worth checking out.
Nice and oldschool. Not well know but solid early DSBM.
GhostlyGloom wrote:
Have you heard of Sortsind from Denmark? The vocalist sounds pretty anguished. The debut album would be a good way to start as they only have two albums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5nHPD2pO_M
Sounds good. I dig the vocals.

Any other recommendations for pioneering DSBM and pioneering releases that influenced the genre?

PromeIncarn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:36 am 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
Recently I have been having cold weather so I have decided to get into more Depressive Black Metal. I know of many great bands such as ColdWorld, Totalselfhatred and Xasthur for example. Theres even a top 5 DSBM bands currently on page 2 in the "Metal Discussion" part of the forum. Can I have recommendations not for popular but for the most pioneering DSBM bands if you understand what I mean? Strid, Forgotten Woods and Mutiilation are the types of bands I am looking for. Don't recommend any bands/releases that were released post-1999.

I think the only thing you're missing now is I Shalt Become's Wanderings. The Inflabitan material might be considered as well.

PromeIncarn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:55 am 

usx8 wrote:

Any ideas on other bands that would be good to listen to? Specifically the faster, more aggressive stuff like Mayhem, Dark Funeral, Gorgoroth, or the more experimental, atmospheric stuff like Arcturus, Summoning, Emperor.
(P.S. I'm new to the forum, and i think this is the right place. If not a heads up would be great.)

For your first request:
Immortal- Pure Holocaust, Battles in the North and Blizzard Beasts
Funeral Mist- Salvation
Setherial- Lords of the Nightrealm
Zyklon-B- Blood Must Be Shed
Niden Div. 187- Impergium
Antaeus- Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan

and for your second:
Abigor- Nachthymnen and Supreme Immortal Art
Setherial- Nord
Drautran- Unter dem Banner Der Northwinde
Kampfar- Mellom Skogkledde Aaser
Obtained Enslavement- Witchcraft
Manes- Under ein Blodraud Maane
Limbonic Art- In Abhorrence Dementia
Graveland- Creed of Iron

BoxCar Willy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 pm 

hey wrote:
BoxCar Willy wrote:
Anyone here familiar with Hypothermia? They're a lo-fi folk black band. Pretty droney at times. Has anyone heard anything like them?

Trist(cze) would be one of the more obvious recommendations, and you'll also probably like bands like Inferi(fin), Vesano, Black Silence, and Öde amongst countless other bands. If you weren't already familiar with the genre, these bands are generally considered to play DSBM. Though I'm not really sure if Hypothermia's more recent work still matches that term.

Huge fan of Trist, and I haven't heard of a few of the others, so I'll check them out!

Thanks!

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:52 am 

hey wrote:
BoxCar Willy wrote:

so what hypothermia and trist album would you recommend?....oh and what mutilation album

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:58 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
so what hypothermia and trist album would you recommend?....oh and what mutilation album

Well, Hypothermia took a fairly large turn with Gråtoner, so just looking at works previous to that, I'd recommend them in roughly this order: Rakbladsvalsen, Köld, Lead Yourself to Failure, Sjuklig intention, split with Arkha Sva, split with Trist/Grimnir/Regnum, then Veins. I haven't listened to any of the demos in forever, but I don't really remember any of them being particularly noteworthy. I'm not really sure I'd advise anyone to listen to the their split with Aska, and I can't remember what Undergången was like. For later material I'd rank it like this: Gråtoner, Skogens hjärta, split with Black Howling, Kaffe & Blod.

For Trist, I'd rank their albums like this: Stíny, Zrcadlení melancholie, split with Kaxur / Holomráz, split with Korium, split with Grimnir/Regnum/Hypothermia, Sebevražední andělé, Říjen pod mlhou, then Black Veils. I don't think I've ever listened to Z Kraje Mrtvých Stinů, Pustota, or Prach Nesvěta and I don't recall ever having liked his first demo very much. I also haven't really listened to any of the newer stuff either.

Also, you mean Mutiilation? Most people would probably tell you to start with Vampires of Black Imperial Blood or Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul. I'd have to lean towards the latter.

For any of the splits, I only considered the side from the band who's albums I was ranking. So, while Dimhymn might not contribute as much as Hypothermia to Sjuklig intention, they still have what might quite possibly be the best outro to any song ever in Drakoforism.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:30 am 

hey wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:

Well, Hypothermia took a fairly large turn with Gråtoner, so just looking at works previous to that, I'd recommend them in roughly this order: Rakbladsvalsen, Köld, Lead Yourself to Failure, Sjuklig intention, split with Arkha Sva, split with Trist/Grimnir/Regnum, then Veins. I haven't listened to any of the demos in forever, but I don't really remember any of them being particularly noteworthy. I'm not really sure I'd advise anyone to listen to the their split with Aska, and I can't remember what Undergången was like. For later material I'd rank it like this: Gråtoner, Skogens hjärta, split with Black Howling, Kaffe & Blod.

For Trist, I'd rank their albums like this: Stíny, Zrcadlení melancholie, split with Kaxur / Holomráz, split with Korium, split with Grimnir/Regnum/Hypothermia, Sebevražední andělé, Říjen pod mlhou, then Black Veils. I don't think I've ever listened to Z Kraje Mrtvých Stinů, Pustota, or Prach Nesvěta and I don't recall ever having liked his first demo very much. I also haven't really listened to any of the newer stuff either.

Also, you mean Mutiilation? Most people would probably tell you to start with Vampires of Black Imperial Blood or Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul. I'd have to lean towards the latter.

For any of the splits, I only considered the side from the band who's albums I was ranking. So, while Dimhymn might not contribute as much as Hypothermia to Sjuklig intention, they still have what might quite possibly be the best outro to any song ever in Drakoforism.

thanks...cant wait till pay day!
what do you mean when you say hypothermia took a took "large turn" with gratoner?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:25 am 

I like all the Mutiilation albums, Black Millenium, Majestas Leprosus, and Sorrow Galaxies were amazing as well. Rattenkönig is probably my least listened to Mutiilation album, but it was still good. Awesome band, wish he didn't call it quits

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 am 

Found a used copy of Xibalba's Ah Dzam Poop (tee hee) Ek this week. I had always kicked myself for not grabbing it when it was 5 bucks through NWN. I probably would have snapped this thing up a lot faster if someone had just plainly told me it's Bathory with some incredible little Mayan interludes. Really great stuff.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 am 

Since there are a couple of Windir fans here, I recommend you check out Istapp. Should also work for those who like Vintersorg, although the riffing is more melodic black metal with plenty of Nordic folk in the melodies. Some guitar leads are particularly reminiscent of earlier Ensiferum.

They're not exactly an unknown band, but little discussed.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:11 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Since there are a couple of Windir fans here, I recommend you check out Istapp. Should also work for those who like Vintersorg, although the riffing is more melodic black metal with plenty of Nordic folk in the melodies. Some guitar leads are particularly reminiscent of earlier Ensiferum.

They're not exactly an unknown band, but little discussed.

An overlooked band indeed Ilwhyan, I have the compilation and debut cd and find them both an enjoyable listen, especially the debut album. They seem a bit quiet of late, l hope the reason for this is a new album in the works.

MetalEddie666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:30 pm 

What are some good first wave black metal bands like venom, bathory, and hellhammer/celtic frost?

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 pm 

MetalEddie666 wrote:
What are some good first wave black metal bands like venom, bathory, and hellhammer/celtic frost?

sacrofago: i.n.r.i.
destruction: sentence of death
sodom: in the sign of evil
sepultura: morbid visions / beastial devestation
mercyful fate: melissa / dont break the oath

all the above albums influenced future "black metal"

MetalEddie666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:
MetalEddie666 wrote:

I listen to mercyful fate already, never really though of them with first wave black metal, but it makes sense to see them there, but i will check out the others, thanks.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 pm 

none of them are really black metal more like proto black metal, stuff that influenced the second wave. another band of that ilk would be Bulldozer.

MetalEddie666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:24 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:
none of them are really black metal more like proto black metal, stuff that influenced the second wave. another band of that ilk would be Bulldozer.

True, for some reason i really like the proto/first wave black bands but i can't get into the "true"/second wave black metal stuff for some reason.

Bladeflash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 am 

Hi. I'm looking for black metal in the vein of Morrigan's Headcult album which is probably the most epic black metal thing I've heard in a while. Sounds like a lost and found Nordland record but more extreme (vocal-wise). Can you suggest me something like that?

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:05 am 

who recommended Totalselfhatred...i don't think anyone did ,but after one listen it sounds total shite,nothing like the DSBM or even good atmospheric black metal i have been hearing lately.

but thanks to who ever recommended mutiilation "Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul" loving this

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:15 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
who recommended Totalselfhatred...i don't think anyone did ,but after one listen it sounds total shite,nothing like the DSBM or even good atmospheric black metal i have been hearing lately.

but thanks to who ever recommended mutiilation "Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul" loving this

You might like Lucifugum (Ukraine) one of the most fucked up sounding bands ever... In a good way. I really like their album "Acme Adeptum"

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:

You might like Lucifugum (Ukraine) one of the most fucked up sounding bands ever... In a good way. I really like their album "Acme Adeptum"

haha just watching some of there youtube videos

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:55 am 

MetalEddie666 wrote:
primitivevoid wrote:

I listen to mercyful fate already, never really though of them with first wave black metal, but it makes sense to see them there, but i will check out the others, thanks.

Only first wave is true,
Also check out Midnight, N.M.E. and Warfare.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:54 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

haha just watching some of there youtube videos

Yeah... black metal bands need to learn that their videos end up looking really goofy 90% of the time... Just look at Immortal

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:33 pm 

Immortal is a pretty bad representative for black metal.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:55 pm 

I think their early stuff was a pretty good representative, but to each their own

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Immortal is a pretty bad representative for black metal.

you're even worse.

Those first 3 albums are KILLER. Don't make Abbath try and teach you guitar.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:44 am 

primitivevoid wrote:
MetalEddie666 wrote:

Gotta add Bulldozer, Italy and Sabbat, Japan. They both have flawless discographies (and believe me, Sabbat's really long), but I'd recommend The Day of Wrath from Bulldozer and the Sabbat EP by Sabbat.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:00 am 

MetalEddie666 wrote:
primitivevoid wrote:

True, for some reason i really like the proto/first wave black bands but i can't get into the "true"/second wave black metal stuff for some reason.

The proto bands sounded more like thrash. My advice would be to keep listening until you want something that goes further than the proto sound.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:02 pm 

what is "proto" black metal and "true" black metal??sorry i'm kind of new and mostly just listen to DSBM, but was just curious

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:58 pm 

Proto is the 'first wave', so stuff like Bathory, Celtic Frost and Hellhammer.

Then you have the 'second wave'-- the early 90s bands that switched from death metal to what is now known as black metal. Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Burzum are the most well-known/praised.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:03 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:

Then you have the 'second wave'-- the early 90s bands that switched from death metal to what is now known as black metal. Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Burzum are the most well-known/praised.

interesting
.and what is true,and where does venom fit in,was that before bathory and those bands?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:17 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:

interesting
.and what is true,and where does venom fit in,was that before bathory and those bands?

When buddy says 'true', he's talking about black metal (2nd wave). Venom is also considered first-wave or proto-black metal, but again, the proto-black metal bands don't actually play the same black metal we all know and love. Venom are really just darker themed NWOBHM

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:19 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:

When buddy says 'true', he's talking about black metal (2nd wave). Venom is also considered first-wave or proto-black metal, but again, the proto-black metal bands don't actually play the same black metal we all know and love. Venom are really just darker themed NWOBHM

yeah i have venom "black metal" and they sound very different to any burzum or mayhem or whatever

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:16 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:

yeah i have venom "black metal" and they sound very different to any burzum or mayhem or whatever

You can say Venom layed the blueprint, Bathory crafted the sound on the Under the Sign album then the likes of Mayhem, Darkthrone etc blew the gates wide open by unleashing the second wave and putting black metal firmly on the map. All the early bands played a part but personally I consider Venom to be the first but Bathory gave it the sound as well as creating another genre, the viking metal genre. Others touched on viking themes in the past but Quorthon took it by the horns and ran with it.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:40 pm 

STORMM wrote:
You can say Venom layed the blueprint, Bathory crafted the sound on the Under the Sign album then the likes of Mayhem, Darkthrone etc blew the gates wide open by unleashing the second wave and putting black metal firmly on the map. All the early bands played a part but personally I consider Venom to be the first but Bathory gave it the sound as well as creating another genre, the viking metal genre. Others touched on viking themes in the past but Quorthon took it by the horns and ran with it.
[/quote]

ah,thanks,its all put into perspective now,and all these other sub genres branched off..i always like to know of and hear the roots of the music i listen to.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 pm 

Venom had vast influence on numerous black metal bands, but I don't think their sound is much like what is commonly understood to be black metal. Much of the aesthetic, plus the fact that some legendary black metal musicians loved Venom and let it show in their music. Bathory was of course much more influental.

That said, it has been very long since I actually listened to Venom.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:18 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Venom had vast influence on numerous black metal bands, but I don't think their sound is much like what is commonly understood to be black metal. Much of the aesthetic, plus the fact that some legendary black metal musicians loved Venom and let it show in their music. Bathory was of course much more influental.

Well you should also consider that Venom influenced Bathory, so they get double influence points... Venomception.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:53 am 

Well, what I was trying to say is that while bands who inarguably formed the basis for (second wave) black metal were all obviously influenced by Venom, Venom's musical style did not end up becoming an integral part of the second wave sound.

PromeIncarn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:33 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Well you should also consider that Venom influenced Bathory, so they get double influence points... Venomception.

Nope, Quorthon has stated that when he set out to start Bathory, he wanted to mix early Black Sabbath, Motorhead, and GBH and that he owned no Venom records.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 pm 

The post joking around Ilwhyan, however to this I say
PromeIncarn wrote:
TheEvilSocky wrote:

Nope, Quorthon has stated that when he set out to start Bathory, he wanted to mix early Black Sabbath, Motorhead, and GBH and that he owned no Venom records.

viewtopic.php?t=49792
What was that now?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 231  Next