Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
deplo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:08 pm 

A demo song of an upcoming Molodost release.
(http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Molodost/3540345531)

Genre: neoclassical/ambient black metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkHget3BouY

Any thoughts are appreciated!

deplo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 pm 

Anyone?

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:52 pm 

Wow. This is really bad. Guitar is off time, vocals are really loud and muffled. This isn't really metal or black metal at all. Guitars are really thin and clean. Ambient? Where is the ambiance in this? It's just weird and definitely not metal.

Are you just trolling us?

deplo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 am 

Violent_Possessor wrote:
Wow. This is really bad. Guitar is off time, vocals are really loud and muffled. This isn't really metal or black metal at all. Guitars are really thin and clean. Ambient? Where is the ambiance in this? It's just weird and definitely not metal.

Are you just trolling us?

Trolling you? Why would I waste my time on trolling you? Definitely not.

Well, I never mentioned that this new song has ambient influences, the ambiance is on my debut demo, here there's a neoclassical influence. About guitars, the "thin & clean" sound is intended, part of the "dreamy" atmosphere. Also my recording conditions don't help at all.

My next songs, anyway, completely drop the metal elements (except well harsh vocals).

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:05 pm 

On a scale of 1 to bad, this would be bad. Like, really bad.

I'll try to make myself as concise as I can in helping you, though:

* ALWAYS always record to a metronome. If your recording program has a metronome, use that. If it doesn't, add crotchet/quarter snare (or woodblock) notes in your drum machine and loop it for how long your track lasts.
* Use distortion, if you're making black metal. You're very good at tremolo, I'll give you that, but you always need distortion if you're adding blastbeats/double pedal. It isn't a rule of thumb, but right now I want you to make something average, and make it sound good, than something unconventional, and make it sound abysmal. Find an amp that has distortion. Any amp. It'll sound better that this.
* Get a better drum machine/drum samples. MIDI isn't cruise control for cool, and 9/10 times sounds shit, unless the rest of your composition can mask it well. Here is a plethora of drum samples you can use, all of which sound better than what you've used. Download them all, then unzip the .rar files all at once with either WinRar or 7Zip.
* Don't swallow your mic while trying to record vocals. It is apparent you cannot scream. Keep the mic at least a finger's length away from your mouth. If they sound weak, make them louder and add gain and reverb.
* Listen to ANY atmospheric black metal song (which your song probably isn't, though), or a neoclassical song (which it definitely isn't), copy the riff, and record it. I don't care if it's plagiarism, just do it. It'll give you a better understanding of the music you're trying to create.
* Add more chords and harmonies, at least.
* If you want it to be "dreamy", then without a doubt, add more reverb. There isn't really anything dreamy about this piece.

That's all you need to work on for now. Every single one of these points is critical in this situation if you want to make good black metal. Again, there's more to be said, but work on these first.

deplo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:50 pm 

Thank you Syntek for these tips.

Again, I am not trying to repeat my previous demo sound (see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma_rUfLHOr8 also, reviewed here on MA), the amplifier I have is really cheap and I don't originally record from it as I don't have a good microphone (the one used for vocals was borrowed for 1 day only lol)

And the use of less distortion was a choice, really. I am just experimenting as this song will be the only "metal" song on the demo, I've already finished recording a cover song, it has a piano, strings, choir, flute, timpani... so as you can see, I am dropping the metal sound for a neoclassical one!

It's also still a demo version, means that I can still enhance it before the final "demo" release.

Again, thx :)

Reply to topic