Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:46 am 

@ The_Apex_of_Collapse: It makes sense. For one thing its not listed on their discography on there website. Plus they are mainstream so its likely that most of those fans only own albums they've herd on the radio or on MTV.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:57 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
I have been listening to a lot of Brocas Helm the past week and I love how medieval the music can sound without resorting to the clichéd use of folk instruments. What other bands of their ilk pull this off?

Medieval Steel definitely does a good job on some of their songs, particularly the self-titled. Adramelch is a pretty obvious one too, few bands create an atmosphere that sounds so legitimately medieval. Overlorde (AKA Overlorde SR) is pretty similar to Medieval Steel, Omen, etc., definitely worth checking out. Longings Past fits the bill pretty well too.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm 

Even if Brocas Helm doesn't resort to "clichéd use of folk instruments" (like guitar isn't a folk instrument) they sure sound influenced by weird hippy folk stuff. They're just like Pagan Altar in that they don't overdo it. They do use some instruments uncommon in metal like the bongo drums in Fall of the Curtain. I don't think they sound "medieval" per se but I do get what you mean by that sound and to me it comes from those quirky folk-ish melodies.

And the only thing that summons medieval images in Medieval Steel is their name. Great heavy metal still though.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:54 pm 

You guys should check out Infiltrator if you heaven't yet. Solid speed metal from Philly.

http://infiltrator.bandcamp.com/
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

W1zard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:10 pm 

Hi. I'm looking for young(!) heavy metal bands who have lots of potential and lots of heavy metal attitude. Something like... Razorwyre, I guess. Their debut was amazingly catchy and fun. Anything you'd like to suggest?

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:21 am 

W1zard wrote:
Hi. I'm looking for young(!) heavy metal bands who have lots of potential and lots of heavy metal attitude. Something like... Razorwyre, I guess. Their debut was amazingly catchy and fun. Anything you'd like to suggest?

Yeah, Razorwyre's debut was catchy as hell! I would suggest you check out bands like Portrait, Wolf, Enforcer, Skull Fist, Striker, and White Wizzard. In Solitude is also worth checking out I guess, but they're closer to the Mercyful Fate sound, so I'm not sure if they're something for ya. Holy Grail is also definitely something to consider, although their sound is much more modern, and even though I like them a lot, I will admit that it sounds like "geek" metal (as one of my buddies put it).

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am 

Skull Fist, Enforcer and Steelwing are the best of all new oldschool bands in my opinion

But for more non-"metal metal metal!!!" acts I say Lonewolf and Crystal Vyper (latest album was super)!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 am 

Borrowed Time is the best young band I've come across in awhile. The demo/7" comp blows me away every single fucking time. Incredibly thoughtful songwriting with great riffs and catchy hooks. Impeccable shit.

Honorable mention for Volture as well. Their EP is super fun and high energy. It's mostly speed metal until the last song where they unleash a USPM monster.

edit: Oh, and don't forget High Spirits!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:15 pm 

Seconding Striker. Listen to their first album and realize you are now obsessed.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:08 pm 

Man, the second album of Striker holds more interest for me. The first still doesn't click with me and it kind of pisses me off! Maybe one day.

It may be a few years old, but still new in the scheme of things, check out Immortal Avenger's first EP. it is a more epic take on the heavy/speed sound but some of the best metal to come out in decades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6YdOKC2FT8

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 pm 

Not sure what to think about this Iron Dogs - Cold Bitch album.

Some interesting heavy/speed but it might be a little too underproduced/raw/retro for its own good.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

BanishFromSanctuary
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:41 pm 

Hey, what's up? I'm looking for 80s and 90s speed metal in the vein of Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind and stuff like that. You know, thrashy power metal riffs, energetic vocals, catchy choruses, smoking guitar solos, and, most important, that certain something. I really want it. :-P

Anything you'd like to share with me?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 pm 

BanishFromSanctuary wrote:
Hey, what's up? I'm looking for 80s and 90s speed metal in the vein of Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind and stuff like that. You know, thrashy power metal riffs, energetic vocals, catchy choruses, smoking guitar solos, and, most important, that certain something. I really want it. :-P

Have you heard Helloween's Walls of Jericho? Grave Digger's Rheingold?

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:27 pm 

BanishFromSanctuary wrote:

As far as German speed metal goes, Scanner's Hypertrace is just about the best thing ever.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 pm 

Hmm, what's the first German speed metal album? Gates to Purgatory?

Disregarding whether it's actually pure speed or not, as I'm sure you could make the case that it's at least a heavy/speed hybrid.

Can we ignore Living Death's debut?

Atlain's debut isn't bad German speed, also 1984.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:14 am 

I guess Venom is UK... so yeah, RW's debut or something along those lines? (stuff obviously influenced by Venom).

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:38 am 

Well if we really want to be historical I'd say we cannot ignore the first Living Death but if we do it for the sake of discussion then next german speed metal full-length is Backwater's Revelation.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:42 am 

Anyone pay any attention to Agent Steel/John Cyriis lately? There apparently has been something going on. What, I don't know due to Cyriis' bizzare writing style except that Juan and co. may not be apart of the album.

http://www.s-e-t-i.com/new-agentsteel-a ... efing.html

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
Well if we really want to be historical I'd say we cannot ignore the first Living Death but if we do it for the sake of discussion then next german speed metal full-length is Backwater's Revelation.

Backwater could never really grab me the way bands like Living Death, Vampyr etc did. I find them a bit boring, tbh.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:11 am 

I can't wait for it even though it will probably be a few years coming seeing as that band's lineup has always been unstable. Their first two albums are the personification of heavy metal, I wonder if Cyrii's voice still sounds as amazing as it did.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:13 am 

I'd rather have a new album by the other guys in Agent Steel, not Cyriis. But I'm sure whatever he makes won't be bad either...I just really don't give a shit about his insane rambling and apparently ridiculous ego acrobatics.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 am 

What does any of that have to do with the quality of the music? The stuff they put out well in regard to their most recent album was groove buttrock with some decent faster tracks, Cyriis is one of the best vocalists in heavy metal at the very least his vocals will overshadow some of the chug riffs (if any). The description said the album would follow through their first two and the EP, and while a return to roots description usually ends up the other way- having him back in the band gives me hope that it won't end up in the groove/thrash track like similar acts ranging from Forbidden to the most recent Vicious Rumors.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:27 am 

I've never really been crazy about old Agent Steel that much; it's not bad (in fact, objectively it's very good and well written) but I'm not really a fan of the speed metal style in general - I don't really listen to it much. Cyriis's vocals also aren't my usual cup of tea if I had to pick and choose between various styles of classic metal. Their new stuff is awesome. So is new Vicious Rumors, by the way.

Last edited by Empyreal on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:28 am 

Xeogred wrote:
I guess Venom is UK... so yeah, RW's debut or something along those lines? (stuff obviously influenced by Venom).

Would you say Venom is speed metal?

They definitely have quite a few songs that fit the mold fairly well, but for this speed metal article I'm writing I've lumped them in with Motorhead, Judas Priest, and Accept as "pre-speed metal." They do have some material that counts, though, I'd say.

My first tried and true speed metal albums for this article are Acid's 1982 self-titled and Raven's Wipe Out.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:33 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
The_Erlking wrote:

Backwater could never really grab me the way bands like Living Death, Vampyr etc did. I find them a bit boring, tbh.

Just for clarification, I meant that the Backwater debut was the second german speed metal album. It was released before Gates of Purgatory or Living in the Dark.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am 

Veracs wrote:
having him back in the band gives me hope that it won't end up in the groove/thrash track like similar acts ranging from Forbidden to the most recent Vicious Rumors.

What the fuck are you talking about

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
You guys should check out Infiltrator if you heaven't yet. Solid speed metal from Philly.

http://infiltrator.bandcamp.com/

Though the vocals don't entirely fit, Great fucking band. I should have an interview with Steve up within a few days. Just need to fine time to sit down and transcribe it.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:44 am 

Fuck i need to get the rest of the Vicious RUmors discog. Missing a few by them, including most recent, and took years to get the non-Cyriis Agent Steel. Finally got Omega Conspiracy which i found okay but meh, and haven't heard the other one. GREAT band. You're nuts for not being totally into them, Emp. :wink:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:46 am 

If it helps, "Agents of Steel" is a fucking classic for sure. Everything else, eh. :)

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:58 am 

Never got why you're not big on early Agent Steel Emp, haha. I mean I can totally see how the new stuff is more your thing, but damn that old stuff is fucking amazing.

But at this point holy shitballs, fuck Cyriis. Guy is a complete lunatic and just completely full of himself after glancing over that new site/article. So he's officially got full control of the Agent Steel name... yippee, ten bucks says another album will never come out, just like all his other promises. So did the rest of the last lineup form something else with Rick or something? Now that I was looking forward to, because ten bucks says they actually would've been able to release something and I'd love to hear Rick singing with kickass music to back him for once (outside of those awesome Steel Prophet demo's).

Nahsil wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Would you say Venom is speed metal?

They definitely have quite a few songs that fit the mold fairly well, but for this speed metal article I'm writing I've lumped them in with Motorhead, Judas Priest, and Accept as "pre-speed metal." They do have some material that counts, though, I'd say.

My first tried and true speed metal albums for this article are Acid's 1982 self-titled and Raven's Wipe Out.

Ah, well I guess if you're thinking of something that's like pure speed to the core, Venom might not be it. Definitely one of the biggest influences for that stuff, but so were many other bands.

I'll have to check out Acid sometime, think I've heard some of Raven but I'm not sure.

You've been working on this for awhile haven't you?

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:18 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Veracs wrote:
having him back in the band gives me hope that it won't end up in the groove/thrash track like similar acts ranging from Forbidden to the most recent Vicious Rumors.

What the fuck are you talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I_vOSPRSQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_Pj0lP_iA

The chugging riffs that define bands like this when they return to re-release stuff, duh.

In particular the first track. Shit doesn't do it for me.

Under_Starmere wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:19 am 

Yeah the first track has one riff that could vaguely be called a 'chugging' riff, the second one has exactly zero. That definitely does not make them groove/thrash. The latest album was power/thrash at the most. Complaining about Vicious Rumors playing groove/thrash for their return is just fucking stupid, especially considering Vicious Rumors played actual groove metal during the 90s. If you don't like it, fine, but redefining genre boundaries around your personal likes and dislikes just makes you look dumb.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 am 

Yeah, ok I meant to refer to the tendency of overproduction done by these bands in their return to forms, but so what sue me and Razorback has a few more crunchy moments but I'm too much of a louse to dig them up. I didn't even say I hated that much, I just wish a band would redo the analogue sound that made their early records as memorable as they are in terms of underground popularity. Does that sound like I'm redefining anything no, I got a term wrong so crucify me.

Under_Starmere wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:49 am 

I'm listening to the new Paradox called Tales of the Weird. It's pretty damn good and it has a very cool new vibe probably because Christian Munzner (Obscura, Spawn of Possession and others) joined the band in 2012, kind of a weird choice but he's a great shredder and it gives a cool proggy vibe to the band.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Pa ... ird/354511

A dude from Vendetta wrote the lyrics based on the MA page, never heard this band, any good?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:33 am 

I remember enjoying their last album, Riot Squad. Paradox are pretty damn solid.

A while on this article Xeo, yeah, but it's bursts of "work on it for 5 hours" and then ignore it for a month or two.

Definitely check out Acid! Solid speed, especially considering it's gotta be one of the first consistently speed metal albums (I don't think a few more mid-paced tracks take away from that fact). Add female vocals and the fact that they're Belgian and you've got a pretty unique setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXQxv69A72A

That Raven is fun too, more NWOBHM-y.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdBqY9f_l5U

(starts around :40)

Last edited by Nahsil on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 am 

I've never been all that crazy about Agent Steel either for some reason. I will also agree that looking at it objectively, the old stuff is great, but yeah. It's not completely my cup of tea either. I am not the biggest fan of their new stuff either though. There it's much more of a hit and miss situation though, with me liking around every second track on the albums.

Yeah, the new Paradox sounds promising. Listened to a couple of tracks yesterday, and will check out the rest momentarily. I agree that this record has a different, and also more energetic vibe to it than their previous two. The riffs are more creative, and even the vocal lines are better, I think.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:42 am 

You bunch of falses.

Under_Starmere wrote:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 am 

Agent Steel is great, yall crazy.

My first of theirs was Order of the Illuminati, which I still think is the best of their newer material. The early speed metal is pretty quality as well.

On the subject of speed bands that turned into power bands, np: Angel Dust - Into The Dark Past.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:26 am 

Metantoine wrote:
A dude from Vendetta wrote the lyrics based on the MA page, never heard this band, any good?

Their Brain Damage album is tasty technical thrash. Reminds me of Artillery a little bit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:01 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Yeah, ok I meant to refer to the tendency of overproduction done by these bands in their return to forms, but so what sue me and Razorback has a few more crunchy moments but I'm too much of a louse to dig them up. I didn't even say I hated that much, I just wish a band would redo the analogue sound that made their early records as memorable as they are in terms of underground popularity. Does that sound like I'm redefining anything no, I got a term wrong so crucify me.

This just in: production determines genre! :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373 ... 624  Next