Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
MT, are you implying that imaginary friends are lonely enough to be friends with Oogboog?

Hey, I created those people! Now you are just insulting them! I'll get you for that Tony.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 pm 

Licht blitzte und zuckte,
erhellte die Nacht,
ein Grollen erklang!
Die Welt war erwacht.
Von Ufer zu Ufer,
das Wasser schlug aus!
Es toste und brauste
zum Rande hinaus.
Die Maid war verlorn
zu grimm ihre Pein!
Die Schwäne sie lockten
sie zu sich hinein.
Sie trieb auf den Wogen
ins Dunkel hinaus,
sie trieb mit den Schwänen
ins Dunkel hinaus.....

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 pm 

The_Orphanizer: Ok noted.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:34 pm 

Read somewhere that people were moshing to Dream Theater's live version of "Through Her Eyes"...

People are fucking dumb.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:04 pm 

People will mosh to anything, Have you seen this shit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylCKVxKHhQs

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
People will mosh to anything, Have you seen this shit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylCKVxKHhQs

Well, dubstep I can kinda understand. But some shitty soft rock piece like "Through Her Eyes"? No. Not at all.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 pm 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
Licht blitzte und zuckte...

I'm quite fond of Empyrium on occasion; should get around to listening to them again.

People attempting to mosh during songs not suited to it can be rather annoying when seen up close; I saw Apocalyptica earlier this year - not a fan, but about a dozen of my friends were going, and... yeah, I'm a sheep sometimes - and got rather pissed at a group of teenagers (who had earlier loudly proclaimed that they'd never been to a 'real wild metal gig' before - their words) who tried to 'mosh' at utterly inappropriate moments because they thought that this is what one does at a gig. A few failed attempts at windmilling - pretty sure they did some damage to their necks, judging by their expressions - were followed by a weird combination of dancing and jumping. Wouldn't have been so bad if their friend hadn't begun to grind against me during said dancing; I did almost start a pit myself in the attempt to disentangle myself from her.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:07 am 

You should have grabbed her, stuffed a wad of chewing tobacco in your mouth, revealed a large, powerful gun, and mowed them down.

Or clothesline them. Clotheslining people at gigs can be loads of fun. Especially when the band playing in particular aren't the most entertaining.

Also, is MD666 still not banned? If he isn't, at least give him the title of Boy King!

Lol

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 am 

Last year at the Big 4 show in New York, people were moshing during A Tout Le Monde. It was stupid. Then later in the night during Metallica they were moshing during Nothing Else Matters.

Sometimes I hate the people that go to metal shows.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 am 

I want the title of 'King Boy' or maybe "In-Haus Entertainment"

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:13 am 

Nevermind this, going to make a post in metal discussion.

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:15 am 

Empyrium is perfect for all occasions! Where at Night the Wood Grouse Plays used to be my favorite album of their's, but Weiland is stealing the show after all these years.

This song got me thinking (not for the first time, mind you): does anyone else here memorize lyrics to songs in totally foreign languages? By totally foreign, I mean you really don't know a damn bit of the language. While the English translation of this song I've read is just as intriguing from a lyrical standpoint, I find that the impact of the lyrics is diminished when replacing the original German phonetics. I know mostly fuck all about German, aside from having a pretty good idea of how it sounds, but reading along to and singing the lyrics in German just feels so right!

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:21 am 

Subrick wrote:
Metallica they were moshing during Nothing Else Matters.

Sometimes I hate the people that go to metal shows.

Wut???

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:49 am 

Cianide finally clicked with me, after a few months of trying them out. I'm getting into an argument with this fan of Unholy who is criticizing them for being simplistic, well, NO SHIT!

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:53 am 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
You should have grabbed her, stuffed a wad of chewing tobacco in your mouth, revealed a large, powerful gun, and mowed them down.

Your edgy wit astonishes me.

The_Orphanizer wrote:
This song got me thinking (not for the first time, mind you): does anyone else here memorize lyrics to songs in totally foreign languages? By totally foreign, I mean you really don't know a damn bit of the language. While the English translation of this song I've read is just as intriguing from a lyrical standpoint, I find that the impact of the lyrics is diminished when replacing the original German phonetics. I know mostly fuck all about German, aside from having a pretty good idea of how it sounds, but reading along to and singing the lyrics in German just feels so right!

Yes, I do this occasionally; the cases that spring to mind are that chant at the start of Enslaved's 'Havenless' (I think I do pretty well, though my Norwegian friend still laughs at me and says I sound like every other north German who thinks they ought to know Scandinavian languages without actually learning them) and some of Vreid's songs. Actually, thinking about it in more detail, I do this quite a bit, oddly enough for bands that I don't even like all that much; Heidevolk, Tyr, Svartsot, those kinds of things. I rather dishonestly tell myself that I can kinda make out what the words might mean, though, so I'm not sure if that counts. When I was into that sort of music, I tried to memorise various Finnish songs (Finntroll, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani) and failed miserably, even when guided by the lyrics booklets; I could never remember the sounds.

EDIT: Just checking out that song by Empyrium whose lyrics were posted - "Die Schwäne im Schilf"/"The Swans in the Reeds" - and up pops an ad for Wild Turkey. I laughed far more than that deserved.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 am 

I went to a Hatebreed show and people weren't moshing, what the hell is wrong with them?

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 am 

I was at a big alternative/rock festival last year with Iron Maiden headlining. People were moshing to Fear of the Dark.

Needless to say, I felt my metalhood cry that night.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:05 am 

Crick wrote:
thrashfan07 wrote:
Surely you are experiencing the horrors of final exams pretty soon then :puke:

I had my organic chemistry final this morning at 8:00 goddamn A.M. I think it has broken me, folks. Only laying around for 3 weeks doing nothing will fix me :lol:

As an art student, many of my classes were in studios, and so did not have exams at all. I do have one tomorrow, but Im not remotely worried.

Speaking of, since I know some of you like my scribblings, here's a drawing I did for one of those classes: Chairs in spaaaaaace

Another: I fucking love Cheerios

(Neither of these was done with anything other than your standard 2B pencil. Fuck charcoal!)

Ah, I see. I'm sure you had plenty of projects on your hands to keep you busy, though. Also... mothafuckin' Cheerios, dude. Get some peanut butter with that shit!

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:12 am 

Gotta make sure you have that Honey Nut or else Omar comin' yo!

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:33 am 

The Cheerios took maybe a solid week of work. It's fairly large, and again just with a 2B pencil. So yeah, individual projects alone took up most of my life up until exam time. Just finished memorizing a slew of dates for paintings and sculptures, as well as their artists. Come at me, exam.
Hehe, foreskins.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 am 

So yesterday I realized I really like Animus's first album and I don't really mind Enmity. This is weird, I don't know what's happening to me. I'd usually despise this stuff.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:25 am 

Enmity would be great if they played actual riffs and killed their generic brutal death metal vocalist.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:55 am 

Veracs wrote:
Enmity would be great if they played actual riffs and killed their generic brutal death metal vocalist.

Exactly. If you're in a brutal death metal band, that's the only legit way to fire a vocalist.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:03 am 

Veracs wrote:
Enmity would be great if they did everything they're already doing right now.

FTFY. :) I wonder if they're still active... I haven't heard any news from them in a long time.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 am 

Napero wrote:
Veracs wrote:

Exactly. If you're in a brutal death metal band, that's the only legit way to fire a vocalist.

:lol:

I said kill, not fire old man.

Under_Starmere wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:27 am 

Kill with fire?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 am 

DIE, DIE

Under_Starmere wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:41 am 

^^ Close enough.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:58 am 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=2182206#p2182206

This guy is bumping his thread with originality!

Wow such originality! He's them king of the world! :-P
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:46 am 

Whoah, this thread moves far too fast for confused, sleepy ol' me. But yeah Boris's catalogue is pretty intimidating and is a large part of why I've not yet properly delved into them. I found a set list for the gig though which has given me some ideas for starting places, and I have also been browsing around on youtube a lot in the last couple of days. I got Absolutego at the gig on the basis that it's their first and therefore a pretty sensible place to start, and I have ordered Pink and Amplifier Worship (they may not arrive before Christmas though). Not sure what the next step is but I'll want to take my time getting to know these three, so it'll be a while before I get anything else anyway.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 am 

Amorphis in a few hours. 18th time, methinks. Next time at Tuska in late June. Also, Hevisaurus on Saturday with a carload of kids. My life is metal, yours is a plastic imitation.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 am 

Veracs wrote:

Or if..... You know..... They played actual music.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 pm 

Careful. Remember this guy?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:27 pm 

Not taking a stab at BDM/grindcore/whatever here (though those aren't exactly favorite styles of mine). Just at the sonic squirt of diarrhea that is Enmity.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 pm 

I listened to them....yeah...they suck.

Except this comment:

fdrdevotee wrote:
This is what all metal must sound like to people who hate metal.

Is gorgeous.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:33 pm 

Yeah, that comment I agree with. Chaotic, uncoordinated and muffled banging of instruments coupled with shitty, unintelligible vocals is exactly what people who have never listened to metal in their lives must think it sounds like, and Enmity fits that description to a T.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:36 pm 

@Xlxlx: I never listened to any of Enmity's stuff, but I have little doubt that they do in fact produce music, even if it's crap. :wink:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 pm 

Not producing music is not an insult. I PRIDE MYSELF ON MAKING ANTI-MUSIC.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:50 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
@Xlxlx: I never listened to any of Enmity's stuff, but I have little doubt that they do in fact produce music, even if it's crap. :wink:

Alright, yeah, maybe I went a bit overboard by saying they weren't music. They're still steaming, wet shit though.

@Frog: Anti-music?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:07 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Not taking a stab at BDM/grindcore/whatever here (though those aren't exactly favorite styles of mine). Just at the sonic squirt of diarrhea that is Enmity.

Do not sully the good name of grindcore by insinuating that band is playing anything even remotely close to it.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719 ... 827  Next