Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dystopia4
Thumbman

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:44 pm 
 

In 2010, Kyuss reformed without guitarist Josh Homme (of QOTSA fame) under the moniker Kyuss Lives!. After a lawsuit launched by Josh and Scott Reader (former Kyuss bassist) a judge ruled that Kyuss Lives! could only use the name for live performances and not recordings, and suggested they start rebranding under a new name to avoid complications. Nick Oliveri, who was part of the reformation for a bit, is set to be on the new Queens album along with Dave Grohl (which should be awesome). Personally I'm glad they aren't performing under the Kyuss name anymore, I think they should let a good thing die peacefully. However, I'm psyched that they're performing together again and can't wait to see what they come up with.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... o-20121203
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh57fJ3msoI
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
analog_winter
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:34 pm
Posts: 1161
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 pm 
 

cool to know that we'll see more from them, I saw Kyuss Lives! last year and they absolutely killed it, so I hope I have the chance to see them again
_________________
discogs
iAm wrote:
Oh god.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 3004
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 pm 
 

Somehow I've only heard Welcome To Sky Valley but I may still end up checking this out.
_________________
Spirit Division (Blues Metal): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My blog: http://psychicshorts.blogspot.com

Top
 Profile  
IanThrash
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 pm
Posts: 918
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 pm 
 

meeh...in my book josh was a fundamental part of Kyuss sound and quality so im not expecting much from this. Anyway ill surely check it out.
_________________
Can´t touch this

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Lastfm

Top
 Profile  
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:50 am
Posts: 6029
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 pm 
 

i saw them [kyuss lives!] play over here, on fri 13th even, man that show was excellent, one of my favourite gigs ever.
i'd be stoked if they cam back and played again, under any moniker

all this suing and lawsuit carry on is bullshit, very sad bullshit.
_________________
for sale/swaps viewtopic.php?p=2040422

message/email me about any deals

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5405
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 am 
 

Vista Chino lol. The years have not improved their ways with words apparently. Not a huge amount of Kyuss in the band any more, and I'm more excited about Josh/Nick/Groll's QUOTSA, but I am always happy to hear more Garcia vocals.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
Turner
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:04 am
Posts: 1252
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:17 am 
 

Why are these two bands such alternative darlings? Bar a handful of songs from each there's nothing really good about either of them. And Garcia's vocals are TERRIBLE. Like a weak, out-of-key early 90s Hetfield.

Top
 Profile  
CF_Mono
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 1546
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:17 am 
 

dystopia4 wrote:
Nick Oliveri, who was part of the reformation for a bit, is set to be on the new Queens album along with Dave Grohl.


What? Ok, major rant disclaimer, but this needs to be said, because this news upsets me. The quality of the material QOTSA released has always been better without Nick in it. I know that opinion is marginally unpopular, but to me the band got better after Nick left. Dave Grohl's talent outside of his drumming is painfully overblown, and he doesn't belong there either. Hell, bring back Alfredo. Nothing will ever be as good as the two-man-ban lineup that recorded the Self Titled album. And besides, I think Nicks abilities are far better off with Kyuss (err, Vista Chino) even though he's stated that he no longer wants to be a part of hat project now. Shouldn't have left Kyuss Lives imo. This whole situation turns into more of a mess every time we hear an update about it. It's like the dick waving competition between Infernus and King and Gaahl, except it's way harder to pick sides. I love Josh to death as a musician, but he was really being a prick.

Turner wrote:
Why are these two bands such alternative darlings? Bar a handful of songs from each there's nothing really good about either of them.


And you can get the hell out of this thread.
_________________
Doom or be doomed...
My current band. Wretched doom trio from NY.

Top
 Profile  
jerk
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:43 am
Posts: 149
Location: Malaysia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 am 
 

Turner wrote:
Why are these two bands such alternative darlings? Bar a handful of songs from each there's nothing really good about either of them. And Garcia's vocals are TERRIBLE. Like a weak, out-of-key early 90s Hetfield.


Because Kyuss defined the sound of stoner metal and QOTSA defined the sound of stoner rock, how about that? And yeah, I'd say Garcia isn't the greatest vocalist, but could you imagine anyone else singing for Kyuss? No.

Anyway, back on topic. Put me down as "cautiously optimistic". I'm disappointed that I don't get to hear more Josh Homme riffs, and the dick-waving contest between Garcia and Homme (who I always did think was kind of an ass anyway) has got really annoying, but who knows, this could turn out great. Can't go wrong with some good ol'-fashioned stoner metal. I'll wait to hear a full new song before I pass judgement. But, seriously, "Vista Chino"? Stupid name.

Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 2902
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am 
 

i really enjoyed seeing garcia plays kyuss a couple years back. Definitely looking forward to the new album and hopefully another euro tour.

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 2038
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:53 am 
 

dystopia4 wrote:
In 2010, Kyuss reformed without guitarist Josh Homme (of QOTSA fame) under the moniker Kyuss Lives!. After a lawsuit launched by Josh and Scott Reader (former Kyuss bassist) a judge ruled that Kyuss Lives! could only use the name for live performances and not recordings, and suggested they start rebranding under a new name to avoid complications. Nick Oliveri, who was part of the reformation for a bit, is set to be on the new Queens album along with Dave Grohl (which should be awesome). Personally I'm glad they aren't performing under the Kyuss name anymore, I think they should let a good thing die peacefully. However, I'm psyched that they're performing together again and can't wait to see what they come up with.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... o-20121203
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh57fJ3msoI

Nice news, thanks!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Somehow I've only heard Welcome To Sky Valley but I may still end up checking this out.

You should listen to all their discography.

IanThrash wrote:
meeh...in my book josh was a fundamental part of Kyuss sound and quality so im not expecting much from this. Anyway ill surely check it out.

Yes but... let's see.

analog_winter wrote:
cool to know that we'll see more from them, I saw Kyuss Lives! last year and they absolutely killed it, so I hope I have the chance to see them again

dreadmeat wrote:
i saw them [kyuss lives!] play over here, on fri 13th even, man that show was excellent, one of my favourite gigs ever.
i'd be stoked if they cam back and played again, under any moniker
all this suing and lawsuit carry on is bullshit, very sad bullshit.

tomcat_ha wrote:
i really enjoyed seeing garcia plays kyuss a couple years back. Definitely looking forward to the new album and hopefully another euro tour.

I have seen them 2 times and I REALLY enjoyed it! They closed the Hellfest some years ago playing Whitewater and I LOVE this song!

lord_ghengis wrote:
Vista Chino lol. The years have not improved their ways with words apparently. Not a huge amount of Kyuss in the band any more, and I'm more excited about Josh/Nick/Groll's QUOTSA, but I am always happy to hear more Garcia vocals.

Uhm... new QOTSA? Nice news too!

CF_Mono wrote:
And you can get the hell out of this thread.

LOL!

jerk wrote:
Because Kyuss defined the sound of stoner metal and QOTSA defined the sound of stoner rock, how about that? And yeah, I'd say Garcia isn't the greatest vocalist, but could you imagine anyone else singing for Kyuss? No.
Anyway, back on topic. Put me down as "cautiously optimistic". I'm disappointed that I don't get to hear more Josh Homme riffs, and the dick-waving contest between Garcia and Homme (who I always did think was kind of an ass anyway) has got really annoying, but who knows, this could turn out great. Can't go wrong with some good ol'-fashioned stoner metal. I'll wait to hear a full new song before I pass judgement. But, seriously, "Vista Chino"? Stupid name.

I agree.
P.S: Wasn't one Yawning Man album called Vista Point?!?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawning_Ma ... recordings

Top
 Profile  
Hircine
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:13 pm
Posts: 936
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:50 am 
 

I feel I should be more excited for this than I actually am.
_________________
Life is your worst enemy.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Top
 Profile  
TadGhostal
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:31 pm
Posts: 830
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 am 
 

CF_Mono wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:
Nick Oliveri, who was part of the reformation for a bit, is set to be on the new Queens album along with Dave Grohl.


What? Ok, major rant disclaimer, but this needs to be said, because this news upsets me. The quality of the material QOTSA released has always been better without Nick in it. I know that opinion is marginally unpopular, but to me the band got better after Nick left. Dave Grohl's talent outside of his drumming is painfully overblown, and he doesn't belong there either. Hell, bring back Alfredo. Nothing will ever be as good as the two-man-ban lineup that recorded the Self Titled album. And besides, I think Nicks abilities are far better off with Kyuss (err, Vista Chino) even though he's stated that he no longer wants to be a part of hat project now. Shouldn't have left Kyuss Lives imo. This whole situation turns into more of a mess every time we hear an update about it. It's like the dick waving competition between Infernus and King and Gaahl, except it's way harder to pick sides. I love Josh to death as a musician, but he was really being a prick.

Turner wrote:
Why are these two bands such alternative darlings? Bar a handful of songs from each there's nothing really good about either of them.


And you can get the hell out of this thread.



Don't be too upset. Nick rejoined Kyuss Lives/Vista Chino after the name change and is only doing vocals on one song on the new QOTSA album.

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Thumbman

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:28 pm 
 

CF_Mono wrote:
What? Ok, major rant disclaimer, but this needs to be said, because this news upsets me. The quality of the material QOTSA released has always been better without Nick in it. I know that opinion is marginally unpopular, but to me the band got better after Nick left. Dave Grohl's talent outside of his drumming is painfully overblown, and he doesn't belong there either. Hell, bring back Alfredo. Nothing will ever be as good as the two-man-ban lineup that recorded the Self Titled album. And besides, I think Nicks abilities are far better off with Kyuss (err, Vista Chino) even though he's stated that he no longer wants to be a part of hat project now. Shouldn't have left Kyuss Lives imo. This whole situation turns into more of a mess every time we hear an update about it. It's like the dick waving competition between Infernus and King and Gaahl, except it's way harder to pick sides. I love Josh to death as a musician, but he was really being a prick.


Can't say I 100% agree with all of this. The first one definitely was one of their best, but Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are both just about perfect in my books. Songs for the Deaf is really heavy and badass, more so than a lot of traditional heavy metal. Rated R is really varied and unique. I think a lot of what makes these two albums so good is they both had multiple lead singers (Homme, Oliveri, Lannegan). The problem I have with Era Vulgaris and Them Crooked Vultures (don't get me wrong, both really good albums) is that they are kind of like the Josh Homme show. They are both good as Homme is a great songwriter, but I feel they could have been so much more if Lannegan and Oliveri did the lead vocals on a few tracks (or someone completely different for that matter). I think Them Crooked Vultures should get a second singer/guitar player, because right now they come off as very similar to QOTSA but with a strong 70s throwback vibe.

As for the Kyuss name change, I think it works. It feels like it could be a song title in "...And the Circus Leaves Town". They had tons of trashy song titles for that one and it fit the vibe. It's sleazy, but it fits their image.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
CF_Mono
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 1546
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:16 am 
 

dystopia4 wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:
What? Ok, major rant disclaimer, but this needs to be said, because this news upsets me. The quality of the material QOTSA released has always been better without Nick in it. I know that opinion is marginally unpopular, but to me the band got better after Nick left. Dave Grohl's talent outside of his drumming is painfully overblown, and he doesn't belong there either. Hell, bring back Alfredo. Nothing will ever be as good as the two-man-ban lineup that recorded the Self Titled album. And besides, I think Nicks abilities are far better off with Kyuss (err, Vista Chino) even though he's stated that he no longer wants to be a part of hat project now. Shouldn't have left Kyuss Lives imo. This whole situation turns into more of a mess every time we hear an update about it. It's like the dick waving competition between Infernus and King and Gaahl, except it's way harder to pick sides. I love Josh to death as a musician, but he was really being a prick.


Can't say I 100% agree with all of this. The first one definitely was one of their best, but Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are both just about perfect in my books. Songs for the Deaf is really heavy and badass, more so than a lot of traditional heavy metal. Rated R is really varied and unique. I think a lot of what makes these two albums so good is they both had multiple lead singers (Homme, Oliveri, Lannegan). The problem I have with Era Vulgaris and Them Crooked Vultures (don't get me wrong, both really good albums) is that they are kind of like the Josh Homme show. They are both good as Homme is a great songwriter, but I feel they could have been so much more if Lannegan and Oliveri did the lead vocals on a few tracks (or someone completely different for that matter). I think Them Crooked Vultures should get a second singer/guitar player, because right now they come off as very similar to QOTSA but with a strong 70s throwback vibe.

As for the Kyuss name change, I think it works. It feels like it could be a song title in "...And the Circus Leaves Town". They had tons of trashy song titles for that one and it fit the vibe. It's sleazy, but it fits their image.


I agree on the name change. The desert scene has always thrived on a slightly weird aesthetic. Vista Chino sounds nice and weird, especially because I knew a kid named chino in elementary school who was a riot.

I agree that Homme has taken over the show in some respects, but maybe I like that because I think he's such an excellent songwriter. Rated R was a mixed bag and SFTD had a few shining moments surrounded by a lot of simple and pop-y stuff. The repetitious nature worked for them when it was hypnotic jamming, not dull ordinary rock tracks. And dude, you completely forgot about Lullabies.
_________________
Doom or be doomed...
My current band. Wretched doom trio from NY.

Top
 Profile  
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:50 am
Posts: 6029
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:40 am 
 

it sounds like something primus would come up with :lol:
_________________
for sale/swaps viewtopic.php?p=2040422

message/email me about any deals

Top
 Profile  
raszh
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:34 am
Posts: 14
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:23 am 
 

New song:
http://soundcloud.com/vistachino

Glad that they can pull it off without Josh!

Top
 Profile  
qTp
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Posts: 323
Location: Dolomites
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 pm 
 

raszh wrote:
New song:
http://soundcloud.com/vistachino

Glad that they can pull it off without Josh!


awesome!!
_________________
Progenie Terrestre Pura
[[post black metal + electronica]]

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1734
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:09 pm 
 

Dig the new name. Bring on the Vista Chino, you bastards.

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Thumbman

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:06 pm 
 

Pretty decent, great guitar tone and drumming. Not as good as the old stuff, but still solid. Only drawback is John's vocals sound a bit off.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 3004
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:30 am 
 

dystopia4 wrote:
Pretty decent, great guitar tone and drumming. Not as good as the old stuff, but still solid. Only drawback is John's vocals sound a bit off.


Yeah, pretty much this. The vocals aren't as husky as they used to be but the guitars and drums are pretty decent. May still be looking into this.
_________________
Spirit Division (Blues Metal): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My blog: http://psychicshorts.blogspot.com

Top
 Profile  
adace
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:30 pm
Posts: 246
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:52 am 
 

Pretty good song. Definitely looking forward to this.

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 811
Location: India
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 pm 
 

I don't quite like the new name. Garcia should've reconsidered a Slo Burn reunion instead of getting into all these shitty legal issues over the band name. Amusing the Amazing EP was so awesome.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9726
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:37 pm 
 

jerk wrote:
QOTSA defined the sound of stoner rock

Um, what? Stoner rock was around way before QOTSA.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 682
Location: Prince George, B.C.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:50 pm 
 

I was just scrolling around the Vista Chino Facebook page and happened to notice that their profile pic is apparently the cover of the new album titled Peace. No release date, we're just told that it's "coming soon".
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
When a true believer stands within a fifteen-foot radius of a Gay, their crucifix begins to tremble.

Diamhea wrote:
Do drugs, don't pretend.

Top
 Profile  
The Lions Den
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am
Posts: 970
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 pm 
 

Looks cool!
_________________
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex…every sort of filth. And ya hate the police, don't ya?"

"You make it easy."

Top
 Profile  
Oxenkiller
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 1319
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:39 pm 
 

failsafeman wrote:
jerk wrote:
QOTSA defined the sound of stoner rock

Um, what? Stoner rock was around way before QOTSA.


Yes, this is true...but it's also like saying black metal was around before Mayhem and Dark Throne. It's probably more accurate and fair to say that Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age were two of the most influential bands in that genre. I'm stoked for this; I was just saying how I miss Kyuss; I would really like to see SOME version of that band tour and record again. And Garcia's vocals always sounded good to me.

Top
 Profile  
analog_winter
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:34 pm
Posts: 1161
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:50 am 
 

Interesting album cover, not sure how much I like the artwork, but I'm sure the album will be great. Kyuss Lives! was an excellent live band, I hope I get to see them again.
_________________
discogs
iAm wrote:
Oh god.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Thumbman

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:03 am 
 

The cover art is absolutely horrible and I love it.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 682
Location: Prince George, B.C.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm 
 

There's another new song, Napalm Records posted it on their Soundcloud.
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
When a true believer stands within a fifteen-foot radius of a Gay, their crucifix begins to tremble.

Diamhea wrote:
Do drugs, don't pretend.

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Thumbman

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:30 pm 
 

Man, this new song is so good. The new guitarist really does sound like how Josh did back in the day. Not quite as good as old Kyuss, but still really damn sweet.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 3004
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:53 pm 
 

Yeah, I'm buying this.

On a related note, is the new Queens Of The Stone Age worth getting?
_________________
Spirit Division (Blues Metal): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My blog: http://psychicshorts.blogspot.com

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Thumbman

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
On a related note, is the new Queens Of The Stone Age worth getting?

I'd be willing to spend money on it, but honestly it's their worst album. I hate to say it, but it just doesn't work as well without the riffs. The tones and whatnot are great, but all in all, it doesn't compare to the band's best work. Also, they have all these cool collaborators and you can barely tell that they're even there.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 682
Location: Prince George, B.C.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:27 am 
 

So, uh, the track listing is here on the archives. Wish somebody had posted them in the thread when they found out :lol:. Good Morning Wasteland and Acidize? The Gambling Moose sound the most interesting, though the others still sound very Kyuss-y. No release date as of yet, it would seem, but this is still going to be a day-one purchase for me.
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
When a true believer stands within a fifteen-foot radius of a Gay, their crucifix begins to tremble.

Diamhea wrote:
Do drugs, don't pretend.

Top
 Profile  
ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:04 am
Posts: 1077
Location: Malaysia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm 
 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
So, uh, the track listing is here on the archives. Wish somebody had posted them in the thread when they found out :lol:. Good Morning Wasteland and Acidize? The Gambling Moose sound the most interesting, though the others still sound very Kyuss-y. No release date as of yet, it would seem, but this is still going to be a day-one purchase for me.


Why are they still registered as Kyuss? Shouldn't there should be a name change and this album be on a new page?

Tbh, aside from Welcome to Sky Valley, I don't think this band is all to stellar. Stoner Metal has evolved way too far for a new guy like to enjoy older stuff like this I guess. Same reason why some people enjoy Mayhem but couldn't get into Venom I presume.
_________________
"Accidents happen because of kids in the back sets. Kids happen because of accidents in the back seat."

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Thumbman

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:46 pm 
 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
Why are they still registered as Kyuss? Shouldn't there should be a name change and this album be on a new page?

Tbh, aside from Welcome to Sky Valley, I don't think this band is all to stellar. Stoner Metal has evolved way too far for a new guy like to enjoy older stuff like this I guess. Same reason why some people enjoy Mayhem but couldn't get into Venom I presume.

Yeah, it's really weird that it's put under Kyuss, in other cases where bands changed their name the new album was listed under the new name.

Honestly, I think that thinking of Kyuss only as "stoner metal" is kind off. They certainly have had a huge effect on stoner metal (and rock) but I mostly think of them as a really heavy psychedelic rock band with a high focus on riffs and songwriting. It lacks some of the fundamental tropes of the stoner metal genre such as the big bouncy riffs.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1429
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:53 pm 
 

Adding the album to the Kyuss page is of course wrong and has been removed by now. Some users don't use their brains. There'll be a seperate page for Vista Chino once the album has been released, if it's metal at all in the first place.

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8966
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:11 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Yeah, I'm buying this.

On a related note, is the new Queens Of The Stone Age worth getting?

Totally, great album albeit not as a immediate and heavy as the others, it's a grower really.

I have yet to hear the Vista Chino album but fail to the guy who added it to the MA page.
_________________
BasqueStorm everywhere wrote:
LOL!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
CF_Mono
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 1546
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:26 pm 
 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
Stoner Metal has evolved way too far for a new guy like to enjoy older stuff like this I guess. Same reason why some people enjoy Mayhem but couldn't get into Venom I presume.

...What the hell are you smoking? If anything it's the other way around, most people who get into underground music are introduced through older bands and "classics".
_________________
Doom or be doomed...
My current band. Wretched doom trio from NY.

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5405
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:47 pm 
 

I dunno, I heard Deicide and Cryptopsy before Death, I don't think its all that unusual. Hell these days I.specifically avoid originators of styles because I tend to find the more fully developed acts of any given genre better than the first steps.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group