Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 pm 

For reasons I can't explain, I'm obsessed with geography and the countries of origin of the bands I've collected over the years. I've been trying to get at least one band from every country (though I realize I'll have a really hard if not impossible time with some of them), and so far I've gotten 126 of them:

Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Congo (DRC), Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, England, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, North Korea, Northern Ireland, Norway, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Scotland, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Wales, and Zimbabwe.

If anyone's got any recommendations for me for bands from a country, or even just a unique location (Greenland?? not really a country, still looking for it), or even better, download links, or if you want anything out of my stash, let me know.

Soulseek: Xzfgiiimtsath

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:08 pm 

Just look through this list for countries you don't already have: http://www.metal-archives.com/browse/country

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:15 pm 

Xzfgiiimtsath wrote:
For reasons I can't explain, I'm obsessed with geography and the countries of origin of the bands I've collected over the years. I've been trying to get at least one band from every country (though I realize I'll have a really hard if not impossible time with some of them).

I would be happy to recommend you some bands from Basque Country if you tell me what style you prefer.

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:19 pm 

What Chilean stuff do you have?

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:26 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I would be happy to recommend you some bands from Basque Country if you tell me what style you prefer.

Sure, go for it. Zero preference on style, I like it all. I actually think I've got some Basque stuff already, namely a split between Adhur, Aiumeen Basoa and Ilbeltz, but feel free to drop names and/or links.

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:37 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
What Chilean stuff do you have?

Not a whole lot in the way of Chilean stuff. http://i.imgur.com/QkBdb.png

Bewitched is good stuff, really hard to describe though; I've only got their '92 "Doomed" demo but it is good shit. Also check out Death Yell and Hades Archer. Wrathprayer is some decent black/death. Uaral are probably one of the better-known bands from that list, their stuff alternates between lonely, despondent, Chilean folk guitar with theatrically weepy vocals (not everyone's bag, for sure) and slow-to-midpaced growled doom metal.

If you want any of it I can upload some to mediafire for you.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 pm 

Aren't Continuo Renacer Basque? They're pretty cool. As for Chile bands surely you've herd about Pentagram and Torturer haven't you? ;)

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:56 pm 

androdion wrote:
Aren't Continuo Renacer Basque? They're pretty cool. As for Chile bands surely you've herd about Pentagram and Torturer haven't you? ;)

Never heard of any of those. I just kind of grab stuff as I find it, so everything I have has been acquired pretty much at random from soulseek/blogspots/etc. What're they like?

These are the main ones I'm actually looking for:
Afghanistan, Albania, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Fiji, Gabon, Georgia, Greenland, Grenada, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Kiribati, Kuwait, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Madagascar, Malawi, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Vatican City (lol), Yemen, and Zambia.

... And, while metal is preferred, I'll take any ideas you've got. I'm pretty open.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 pm 

Continuo Renacer - Similar to Cynic but instrumental.
Torturer - Think early Massacra meets early Sepultura. Pentagram is similar.
Pentagram - They've changed name to "Pentagram Chile" because of the doom band with the same name.

From Botswana: Crackdust - OSDM pretty much.
From Georgia: Angel of Disease - Prog death similar to later Death.
From Liechtenstein: Elis - Gothic metal with some mild electrogoth influences. Their early incarnation is more electrogoth and also from the same country (duh).
From the Maldives: Nothnegal - Melodeath with some sci-fi keyboards and mild prog influences.

Also, I think this is best placed in the "Rec Central" since this is more of a pure recommendation thread than a discussion one.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:53 pm 

If in two years you haven't found anything from Libya, when I visit, I'll record a quick demo just for you so you can something from there =D

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:05 pm 

Don't have Guam. You could check out Hymn for the Tortured. Their EP Carcass for the Feast is pretty good.

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:28 pm 

androdion wrote:
Also, I think this is best placed in the "Rec Central" since this is more of a pure recommendation thread than a discussion one.

Sorry, didn't know. Been coming on metalarchives for the better part of a decade, but this is my first time using the forums.

I have Crackdust already, lol. Not bad considering who they are and where theyre from. Adding all the other ones to my list, though. I normally can't stand gothic metal, but I'll give Elis a shot.

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:30 pm 

Indecency wrote:
If in two years you haven't found anything from Libya, when I visit, I'll record a quick demo just for you so you can something from there =D

lmao ok, straight from the source

GTog wrote:
Don't have Guam. You could check out Hymn for the Tortured. Their EP Carcass for the Feast is pretty good.

added to the list - gonna look for this stuff tonight at some point

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:21 pm 

Congo is in the list of stuff you have and in the list of stuff you want. Assuming you want it, the only metal band I know that is supposedly from Congo is Infertile Surrogacy although apparently they may be a side project of Cerebral Effusion from Spain. So I dunno if that counts. They're decent though.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:49 am 

Here you have, a cool classic heavy metal band from Greenland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3rTU3IJPfA

Here is some ass cracking death/thrash from Albania

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z03nVb15MQo

And finally, great technical whatevermetal from georgia, weird yet great stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOKHgzTPQKs

tell me what Argentinean stuff do you have so i can recommend you some good local metal.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 am 

Hurd from Mongolia:

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=hurd%20m ... eyqgPudjOE

They are unfortunately very hit and miss, with stuff ranging from epic heavy metal and speed metal, to standard fare hard rock, to even lighter non-metal stuff. Their early stuff is pretty good (what you can find online anyway).

EDIT:
After going back through your list of bands you are looking for I'll add a few more: Vertigo from El Salvador and The Exile from Laos (although they relocated to Canada). Both are traditional metal bands. I know there are plenty of others from El Salvador, I'll have to consult my Salvadorian buddy and get back to you. For now:

Vertigo: http://m.youtube.com/results?q=vertigo% ... ynFnD3VEXI

The Exile: http://m.youtube.com/results?q=the%20ex ... QXhfAEhVOk

Last edited by Messiah_X on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:13 am 

Crow Black Sky from South Africa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Dxj_llOxo

Proof that South Africa can do better than Seether.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:22 am 

Subrick wrote:
Crow Black Sky from South Africa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Dxj_llOxo

Proof that Seether isn't the only band South Africa has produced.

There is also Odyssey and Raven Wolf from South Africa

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=odyssey% ... 3kaAI4VnJM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DK5jTf0jDx ... ksyvKxBAw8

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 am 

so much great metal from australia

adrift for days
space bong
beyond terror beyond grace
way more good bands though

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 pm 

Necroghast wrote:
Congo is in the list of stuff you have and in the list of stuff you want. Assuming you want it, the only metal band I know that is supposedly from Congo is Infertile Surrogacy although apparently they may be a side project of Cerebral Effusion from Spain. So I dunno if that counts. They're decent though.

There are two Congos: the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Infertile Surrogacy is from the latter, and I have them already - seems unlikely that a band like that would actually come out of the Congo lol, so I'm guessing it is just a side-project (that I guess the Cerebral Effusion guys started there??)

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:04 pm 

Getting GVERR, Nothnegal, Elis, Angel of Disease, and Crow Black Sky - haven't been able to find any Arctic Spirits or Hymn for the Tortured. This thread is going better than I thought it would. Lookin for Hurd, Vertigo and The Exile.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:48 pm 

for Belgium:

Aborted: deathgrind/death metal
Leng Tch'e: deathgrind/grindcore
Enthroned: black metal
Suhrim: death metal
Caducity: death metal
Channel Zero: thrash metal/groove metal/alternative metal (now)
Panchrysia: black metal
In-Quest: modern death metal/math metal
Ostrogoth: classic heavy metal
Cyclone: thrash metal

there's more... so i'll continue later

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:51 pm 

Belgium is not quite an atypical country, let's keep this thread for these kind of countries. For well known scenes, he can use the lists on the site.

Also you forgot Acid, shame!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:32 pm 

Having lived in Dubai for quite sometime, I know the UAE scene quite well.

Check out:
Nervecell: Groove-laden modern death metal (Quite the obvious recommendation)
Perversion: They play Death/Thrash Metal.
Abhorred: One of my favorite bands from the scene. They play straight up death metal. They're somewhat defunct now though.
Billy Bob's Blood Drenched Brew: Modern Tech-ish Death Metal with grind influences.

Oh and OP, could you kindly contribute to this thread? I'm quite curious.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93066

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:42 pm 

shouvince wrote:

Check out:
Abhorred: One of my favorite bands from the scene. They play straight up death metal. They're somewhat defunct now though.
Billy Bob's Blood Drenched Brew: Modern Tech-ish Death Metal with grind influences.

Lmao, ok, I've contributed. Gonna check these out, I need more UAE bands - all I've got is Barzakh and Archaic Guilt. I heard the UAE is a little more progressive than a lot of other Arab countries, kinda cool they seem to be developing a metal scene.

Got a couple of the bands recommended to me in this thread and I can now strike Georgia and Liechtenstein from my "want" list. Gonna search for Hurd next - been looking for Mongolian bands forever.

Also, when y'all are recommending stuff, include album titles if you can, it makes this stuff a lot easier to search for.

Last edited by Xzfgiiimtsath on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 pm 

A band from Kuwait called "Depth".

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Depth/3540321268

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOhRkELZyng

Nicely executed mixture of Death and Opeth (hence the name) :)

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:52 pm 

Xzfgiiimtsath wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Check out:

Lmao, ok, I've contributed. Gonna check these out, I need more UAE bands - all I've got is Barzakh and Archaic Guilt. I heard the UAE is a little more progressive than a lot of other Arab countries, kinda cool they seem to be developing a metal scene.

Got a couple of the bands recommended to me in this thread and I can now strike Georgia and Liechtenstein from my "want" list. Gonna search for Hurd next - been looking for Mongolian bands forever.

Also, when y'all are recommending stuff, include album titles if you can, it makes this stuff a lot easier to search for.

Alright, I see that you're more inclined towards blackmetal...so check out Blaspherion. They were pretty grim or aimed for that image in the early 2000s. Then Logan (main guy from the band) left and now currently stays in Omaha, not sure if he's on MA. You can also check out Mausoleum, funeral doom. The same guitarist/vocalist formed a progressive death metal band called Capricious Alchemy. All worth checking out.

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:57 pm 

Found a torrent for Depth's "Memento Mori" - scratch Kuwait from the list.

EDIT: Got some Hurd too, so scratch Mongolia also.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:23 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Just look through this list for countries you don't already have: http://www.metal-archives.com/browse/country

Did you not see this post? You could easily find tons of bands using this without having to interview the forum's members.

Kerber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:14 pm 

What Serbian stuff do you have I can recommend more if you want.

Xzfgiiimtsath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 pm 

Kerber wrote:

http://d.pr/i/WC7C Not a whole lot in the way of Serbian stuff, either. Go ahead and drop names if you've got some good stuff.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:16 pm 

Xzfgiiimtsath wrote:
Sure, go for it. Zero preference on style, I like it all. I actually think I've got some Basque stuff already, namely a split between Adhur, Aiumeen Basoa and Ilbeltz, but feel free to drop names and/or links.

Niice! You've the (2001) Triarchy Of Vasconia - Iluntasunaren Itzulera split!
Check this out:
viewtopic.php?t=69186

Quote:
Spain:

-Barón Rojo: Heavy Metal (singing in Spanish). Not my style of music.

-Dark Moor: Power Metal (singing in English). Not my style of music.

-Extremoduro: Rock (singing in Spanish). Excellent band. Try Agíla (1996) and posterior albums:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremoduro

Basque:

-Triarchy of Vasconia Split album with Adhur, Aiumeen Basoa and Ilbeltz bands: Pagan Black Metal (singing in Euskara=Basque). Excellent split:
viewtopic.php?t=67016

-Numen: Pagan Black Metal (singing in Basque). Excellent band (last album has lost folky aspects):
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3066

-Elffor: Medieval Ambient (singing in English). Cult band:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=6664

-Continuo Renacer: Tech Death Metal (instrumental). Excellent band recording new album:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=36198

-Estigia: Trash Metal (singing in English and Spanish). Pioneers and Excellent band:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=32297

-Anestesia: Trash Metal (singing in Basque and Spanish). Excellent band:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=41910

-Soziedad Alkoholika: Hardcore Trash Metal (singing in Spanish). Till Ratas (1995):
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=10189

-Etsaiak: Hardcore (singing in Basque). Till Gerra Zikina (1995):
http://www.myspace.com/etsaiaktaldea

-Handicraft: Stoner Rock (singing in English). Excellent band:
http://www.myspace.com/handicraftrock

-Ipar Basoetan - Na Fraga Do Norte split CD with Xerion, Omendark and Nakkiga: Pagan Metal (singing in Basque and Galego=Galician). Excellent split:
http://metal-archives.com/release.php?id=68779

-Su ta Gar: Heavy Metal (singing in Basque). Till Munstro Hilak (1993)
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=4475

-BAP!!: Hardcore (singing in Basque). Excellent band. Start with
Bidehuts eta Etxehuts (1984) and Zuria Beltzez (1992):
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAP!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.A.P.!!

Galician:

-Kathaarsys: Tech Death Metal (singing in English). Excellent band:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=46320

-Xerion: Pagan Metal (singing in Galician). Excellent band:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=15110

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57080

androdion wrote:

Yes, they're (basque and great)!

Necroghast wrote:

Xzfgiiimtsath wrote:
There are two Congos: the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Infertile Surrogacy is from the latter, and I have them already - seems unlikely that a band like that would actually come out of the Congo lol, so I'm guessing it is just a side-project (that I guess the Cerebral Effusion guys started there??)

That's REALLY strange!
I'll write some emails and let you know.

P.S: I agree. You could make this easy using this:
http://www.metal-archives.com/browse/country

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 pm 

Xzfgiiimtsath wrote:
Necroghast wrote:

Gah, you're right I always forget.

carnival_corpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 pm 

Very nice thread. Im surprised no one has mentioned my tiny island of Puerto Rico in the Caribbean Antilles. If you are looking for some old school stuff try to find Organic Insfest Penitence. This was the first Puertorican death metal band to be signed in a major label back in 1992. This release was made by JL America. For newer acts you can check out Dismal Divinity or Severe Mutilation. Dismal Dvinity's release can be found on Ebay. As for Severe Mutilation, their debut was self released and I obtained through the band.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:50 pm 

Beheaded from Malta, very good and unique brutal death metal.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

SadisticOrgasm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 am 

Check out Ugra Karma (OSDM), Kalodin (symph. black metal) and Binaash (brutal death/grind) from Nepal.

Kerber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:34 am 

Xzfgiiimtsath wrote:
Kerber wrote:

http://d.pr/i/WC7C Not a whole lot in the way of Serbian stuff, either. Go ahead and drop names if you've got some good stuff.

Alright, you should check out Bane they're black/death, they put put two albums both pretty damn solid. If you're into some kind of isis meets opeth meets a bit of stoner metal you should check out Consecration. There's also The Stone (ex-Stone to Flesh) who have some kick ass black metal. Stone to Flesh's material is especially good if you like your bm a bit raw. Also if you're into some thrash/crossover check out NadimaC.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:15 am 

I remembered about Tunisia, what bands do you have from there? Myrath and Vielikan are quite good!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:27 am 

androdion wrote:

Hardly. Crackdust are incredibly generic mid-90s Death Metal. Not even close to being old school. Yeah I respect them for being Botswanian and all, but cmon.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 am 

iAm wrote:
androdion wrote:

Hardly. Crackdust are incredibly generic mid-90s Death Metal. Not even close to being old school. Yeah I respect them for being Botswanian and all, but cmon.

Man, I listened to this band a couple of times years ago. What I remember from them is something along the lines of early nineties Autopsy, or more aligned with Accidental Suicide perhaps. But these are just vague recollections. So when I say OSDM referring to early nineties death metal I don't think I'm hurting anyone's susceptibilities by saying that. If I called them power metal then you could bash me in the head, but cmon.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next