Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:44 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
Got that one not too long ago. Good album. Death Bride is a hell of a song.

Death Bride cracks me up. "For it was not just her funeral but also... OUR WEDDING DAY!" It's a great song but the subject matter is so absurdly tragic.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:46 am 

iAm wrote:
Also, fuck Microsoft for putting an eject button right next to the format button when you right click a flash drive. I only had a spare copy of my train ticket on there but still :ugh:

You still have to click "start"...
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:33 am 

inhumanist wrote:
iAm wrote:
Also, fuck Microsoft for putting an eject button right next to the format button when you right click a flash drive. I only had a spare copy of my train ticket on there but still :ugh:

You still have to click "start"...

By force of habit I clicked the enter button when the pop up came up. It was a foolish error; but at least nothing of grave importance was on it.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:51 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Hour of 13 basically does exactly what the Rev does except they write shorter albums with more convincingly evil, atmospheric tunes, and better riffs and songwriting to boot.

Hour of 13 and Reverend Bizarre sound alike? U Mad? And Hour of 13 is really good, the new album is killer but they are no competition for Reverend Bizarre, never.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:13 am 

What kind of rookie actually uses eject or safely remove, just yank it out, get reckless.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:29 am 

Bezerko wrote:
What kind of rookie actually uses eject or safely remove, just yank it out, get reckless.

:o

Who would do such a thing?!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:38 am 

Real men.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:41 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Real men.

No. Real men care about this.

Spoiler: show

Isn't he so adorable?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:04 pm 

Re: Reverend Bizarre and Hour of 13...no they are not identical. But I always had a specific "doom" sound in mind which RB were fairly close to, but Hour of 13 came even closer to. So really it's just a personal thing for me I guess.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:04 pm 

Am I the only one here who believes that puppies must taste awesomely if cooked properly?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:57 pm 

So I'm finally getting around to hearing old Gargoyle (I first heard them when Kisho was new and then just worked backwards until Future Drug before stopping) and my god, did this band ever have a dip in their career? I'm only halfway through Furebumi but I now firmly believe that anybody who doesn't understand why Crick used to jizz over this band so hard simply hasn't heard them yet.

Crick, OzzyApu, Cinerary, and myself, is that enough high-profile (for MA) fans to make all the noobs interested yet? Let's make them one of the MA Clique favorites like Manilla Road, WASP, and Bolt Thrower. For real.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:00 pm 

Also me :D

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:02 pm 

And reiter! Come on kids, how could you not be interested?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:04 pm 

Checked my bank account this morning and it was $666.66.

Mha. :evil:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
So I'm finally getting around to hearing old Gargoyle (I first heard them when Kisho was new and then just worked backwards until Future Drug before stopping) and my god, did this band ever have a dip in their career? I'm only halfway through Furebumi but I now firmly believe that anybody who doesn't understand why Crick used to jizz over this band so hard simply hasn't heard them yet.

Crick, OzzyApu, Cinerary, and myself, is that enough high-profile (for MA) fans to make all the noobs interested yet? Let's make them one of the MA Clique favorites like Manilla Road, WASP, and Bolt Thrower. For real.

I've heard Wa and Future Drug...pretty good stuff really. They know how to write some oddball riffs and some killer tunes. Never fully got into em but I should definitely play them again; I think I will later on.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:10 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

I own Aratama and Kisho. Kisho is good, but Aratama is a masterpiece. I'd like to get more albums, but having to spend 40+ bucks on a single CD makes me wanna cry.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:13 pm 

Both of those albums are great (Future Drug and Wa, I started typing this before Aeonblade's post), but there's something about... well everything from Ronpu to Niji Yuugou that I just adore. If the rest of the early stuff is like Furebumi, they're in serious danger of becoming a top ten favorite band of mine. I'm under the impression that Tsuki no Toge, Natural, and Gaia are a fair bit weirder than the rest of their stuff, so I'm a little apprehensive about hearing them toy with this formula I love so much, but I also feel like they're just creative enough to make whatever they do work.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:16 pm 

HOUR OF 13 AND THE BIZ DO NOT SOUND THE SAME, Y'ALL NIGGAS CRAZY.

Also, I'll check out Gargoyle today...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 pm 

I think one of the reasons it's tough for people to get into Gargoyle is because they have a huge discography and most fans (here at least) seem to love every album, so it's intimidating and you have no idea where to start. When Kisho came out, I just figured it was as good a place to start as any and just went from there. With WASP, everybody can tell you to start with the first five albums, Bolt Thrower can be pinpointed depending on what you want out of your DM, but you can't really do that with Gargoyle. I'm gonna be on a fanboy high for the rest of the day, I reckon.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:40 pm 

Gargoyle have always struck me as a bit goofy and for that reason (is another needed?) I've never bothered to look very far into what they do. They remind me a bit of The Muppets at times.

$40 for one disc? :ugh:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:08 pm 

I think I've checked them several times but couldn't get past the vocals.

You guys should check Anthem. They seem to be a cool Japanese heavy metal band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfFNB0kzo40

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:12 pm 

Listening to anyone singing in Japanese makes me feel very uncomfortable. I had never been able to explain it, but I just can't listen to people singing in Japanese. Is that some form of racism? :scratch:

Eh, beyond that, cool music, but not overtly engaging. The solo section was terrific, though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'm gonna be on a fanboy high for the rest of the day, I reckon.

Haha, you smell like Crick!

Also, why anyone would prefer Rev Biz over the 1980s classics of doom is beyond me. You 'eard, BEYOND ME!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:13 pm 

Good mention, BastardHead. Reading about Gargoyle made me want to go edit some of my reviews to make them less... embarrassing. They definitely are a band that progresses and creates a persona with each album.
colin040 wrote:
I think I've checked them several times but couldn't get past the vocals.

You guys should check Anthem. They seem to be a cool Japanese heavy metal band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfFNB0kzo40

Anthem are great, too. As for the vocals in Gargoyle, they're a very acquired taste. At first I couldn't stand them, but if you can stand death / black vocals then you aren't really that far off from enjoying them. Not saying you have to like extreme metal vocals to enjoy them, but it's not anymore distant to overcome.
Xlxlx wrote:
Listening to anyone singing in Japanese makes me feel very uncomfortable. I had never been able to explain it, but I just can't listen to people singing in Japanese. Is that some form of racism? :scratch:

Eh, beyond that, cool music, but not overtly engaging. The solo section was terrific, though.

It's very easy to find a song by this band that doesn't click with you. Each album is so similar and so different that you might end up landing on something that on another album could make you an instant fan. As for enjoying people sing in Japanese, that's a little strange. Then again, I find Chinese singers singing in their native language not translating very well in music, so who am I to say something like that to you.

Check these two out, for instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ8iO9_Qcxo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjD_hM3NntM
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:17 pm 

There is a lot of Dragonball videos that Youtube recommends on the side of the Gargoyle "PROLOGUE" video... In fact, all the videos on the right hand side that aren't Gargoyle related are Dragonball related.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:26 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

It's very easy to find a song by this band that doesn't click with you. Each album is so similar and so different that you might end up landing on something that on another album could make you an instant fan. As for enjoying people sing in Japanese, that's a little strange. Then again, I find Chinese singers singing in their native language not translating very well in music, so who am I to say something like that to you.

Check these two out, for instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ8iO9_Qcxo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjD_hM3NntM

I was actually talking about the Anthem song that Colin posted Ozzy, but I'm glad that you posted this Gargoyle tunes here. Non-standard stuff, but metal as hell, and the vocals I not only have no problem with, but happen to quite like them. Much deeper and gravelly that I would've expected too, and the fact that they're practically unintelligible helps me with the language thing that I mentioned earlier.. I shall check these guys out.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:29 pm 

Gargoyle, first impressions: Kinda goofy. Some good moments, good elements. Lots of cliché, little that relates to each other. Kind of a mess that doesn't really go anywhere. No sense of something bigger than the individual elements of the song. I pass.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:00 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
There is a lot of Dragonball videos that Youtube recommends on the side of the Gargoyle "PROLOGUE" video... In fact, all the videos on the right hand side that aren't Gargoyle related are Dragonball related.

The word "Goku" is in the title is the reason why, I thought that was weird at first too.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:25 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

You filthy rich greedy capitalist bourgeois blood-sucking financial elite fuck...

*grumble*

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:06 pm 

Meanwhile, Napero makes that amount every day :P

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:16 pm 

Napero wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

You filthy rich greedy capitalist bourgeois blood-sucking financial elite fuck...

*grumble*

I realized there was absolutely no way to post that without sounding like a huge ass, but man. That fucking number.

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:17 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Meanwhile, Napero makes that amount every day

Well, why do I never have that much on my bank account, then? Why? WHY!!!???!

..oh yeah, the Wifeal Witch. And the offspring. And the bank. Damn.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:25 pm 

Napero wrote:
Derigin wrote:
Meanwhile, Napero makes that amount every day

Well, why do I never have that much on my bank account, then? Why? WHY!!!???!

..oh yeah, the Wifeal Witch. And the offspring. And the bank. Damn.

Hah! I knew there were some advantages to being single. Especially during the holiday season. :P

I found the local Best Buy (and the one around here is fairly small) is carrying a few copies of the new Enslaved...Cool to see the new album is getting them that much exposure.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:03 pm 

Today's semi-random thought...

I've read plenty of arguments for and against having the "under god" part in the pledge of alligeance in the USA. You know, the usual atheists vs religious nutjobs stuff. And all the mentions of including the said part in it in 1954 or whatever. But.

What the fuck is the point of making kids say something as retarded as a pledge of any kind daily in schools? I can't understad this part. Sounds like North Korea to me. Anyone care to explain this Sunday school-like brainwashing to me?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:07 pm 

Napero wrote:
What the fuck is the point of making kids say something as retarded as a pledge of any kind daily in schools? I can't understad this part. Sounds like North Korea to me. Anyone care to explain this Sunday school-like brainwashing to me?

I thought about this, too. Why should anyone have to say anything like that in school? Not even giving any anti-indoctrination arguments here, but why can't they just skip it and go straight to class stuff? I never got it, but I knew that people made fun of you in elementary if you didn't do it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:22 pm 

Sparks... what a band. And Ron Mael always cracks me up.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:25 pm 

A Hawkwind member has kicked the bucket:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20640580

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:07 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I think one of the reasons it's tough for people to get into Gargoyle is because they have a huge discography and most fans (here at least) seem to love every album, so it's intimidating and you have no idea where to start. When Kisho came out, I just figured it was as good a place to start as any and just went from there. With WASP, everybody can tell you to start with the first five albums, Bolt Thrower can be pinpointed depending on what you want out of your DM, but you can't really do that with Gargoyle. I'm gonna be on a fanboy high for the rest of the day, I reckon.

"Future Drug" is a good place to start, though if you're patient, listen to Misogi, FD, and Super Battle Gargoyle, I think it gives a pretty good picture of the band and that they do some different things. Or you could just do what I did with Ningen-Isu and have Crick send you the whole discography and spend a few hours at a time listening through all of it. By the end you'll be crazy and wearing a kimono while running around with a pointy guitar.

There's also a good majestic melodic black/death metal band by the same name, if you like that stuff then check out "March of the Heroes".

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:24 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Napero wrote:

I thought about this, too. Why should anyone have to say anything like that in school? Not even giving any anti-indoctrination arguments here, but why can't they just skip it and go straight to class stuff? I never got it, but I knew that people made fun of you in elementary if you didn't do it.

I guess it's just a habit. I don't understand it either. I'm glad I didn't have to do anything like that in school. Ofcourse, I had the pleasure of growing up in the Netherlands.... It just seems like a waste of time to give any kind of pledge. I don't know a lot about this, but I guess it's just something that has been done year after year after year. And it has just become a part of american school. You know, these kind of habits can be dangerous. People do things without thinking about it.....

I'm drunk right now, it's the first time in... about... 3 months. Pretty cool.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:42 pm 

My Home Ec. teacher in high school always tried to make me feel guilty for not saying the pledge. :lol:

"I bet the soldiers fighting for your freedom would really appreciate that..." , "You'll wish you could say the pledge when terrorists are forcing you to become Muslim..."

She ranted alot about how the 50's were the best time in human history, too.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713 ... 827  Next