* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:49 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Quote:
White Wizzard shitting on Holy Grail, and vice versa. WW's bassist, Jon Leon is pretty much the new Mustaine. Kicking out a band member every month and just starting shit. It kinda died down now, but it was still funny.

I've always seen Jon Leon as being the new Jon Schaffer. Where Iced Earth is more "Jon Shaffer and friends", White Wizzard is pretty much "Jon Lean on friends". Although the latter have the kind of line-up turnover which makes Spinal Tap seem stable... I may go to a White Wizzard show to see if their drummer spontaneously-combusts.

I've heard that Leon is a jackass, too. Nice if you're a fan, an asshole if you're a band member or venue staffer.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:00 pm 

It's sort of a shame how much White Wizzard have fallen behind really - a slew of other new traditional bands have overtaken them by far, both in terms of output and originality. I wonder how much of it is down to Jon Leon's own character. But I digress...

I always have a chuckle every time I see that interview with Lemmy when the interviewer (I think it's Sam Dunn) talks about being blown away by Venom when he was 12, to which Lemmy replies "Yeah, but a day at the beach will blow you away when you're 12, you know?". More just Lemmy being Lemmy than being overtly nasty though.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:40 pm 

Other things I'm aware of:

-LOTS of people hate the Rings of Saturn kids. Same story every time: rude, arrogant, unprofessional little shits who mouth off to everyone, start shit for absolutely no reason, and just generally piss everyone off.
-Bill Robinson had very unkind things to say about Mike Smith, Phil Fasciana, and Jason Blachowicz. Smith was apparently an egomaniac with an incredibly volatile temper who frequently acted like a schoolyard bully in a man's body, while the other two were apparently dimwitted, vulgar, racist assholes who used "nigger" as an adjective for everything they didn't like (the Ben Orum incident was apparently the kind of thing that they regularly do), and Phil had the added bonus of being an inveterate liar.
-I don't know anything about what lies behind it, but Josh Barohn is apparently not on speaking terms with Suffocation and has made himself a lot of enemies in the NYDM scene.
-John Kevill, Nic Ritter, and John Laux all apparently have some very hard feelings towards Ben Bennet. All I've been told is that the guy always had to have his way and was unbearable to be around whenever people didn't cave.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
-John Kevill, Nic Ritter, and John Laux all apparently have some very hard feelings towards Ben Bennet. All I've been told is that the guy always had to have his way and was unbearable to be around whenever people didn't cave.

All of a sudden, "Shadow From The Tomb" makes a little more sense...

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:09 pm 

slayer85 wrote:
I read that Iron Maiden lead singer said that he hated reality TV. And that during several gigs at Ozzfest, that Ozzy's entourage threw eggs and bottletops when they played live. Ozzy's wife threw a fit when Bruce stated his comments! He did not intend to insult the Osbournes on their reality TV show!

This one was really the worst incident IMO.

It happened just once, BTW. Iron Maiden was egged and the sound cut off numerous times during their set. It would cut off right in the middle of songs. Fucking awful.

Iron Maiden never gave up on the gig.

The Osbournes are fucking degenerates. They not only attacked a band but attempted to ruin the fans' evening.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm 

Riffs wrote:
This one was really the worst incident IMO.

It happened just once, BTW. Iron Maiden was egged and the sound cut off numerous times during their set. It would cut off right in the middle of songs. Fucking awful.

Iron Maiden never gave up on the gig.

Sharon Osbourne is a fucking degenerate. She not only attacked a band but attempted to ruin the fans' evening.

Fixed. Sharon's proven more than once that she's a fucking cunt of the highest order. Ozzy I think is just so drugged out nowadays that he just goes along with whatever Sharon does.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm 

Apparently there was, according to Beherit's band page, a Scandinavian band named "Fuck Beherit" in the same style as "Fuck Xasthur". Aside from said page mentioning two demos, I don't really know anything beyond that.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 am 

There was some story circulating years ago that Euronymous from Mayhem got really pissed at a fanzine called Eternal Torment, which I guess was some Polish magazine published by some guy named Marcin. The rumors were that he actually tried to have the guy poisoned to death, and may or may not have succeeded. I dont know to what extent the rumors are true or how far he actually got in his vendetta against the guy. I'm not even sure what Eternal Torment did to him that pissed him off- sounds like more than just a casual bad review? Anyone know what really was up with this? Thought it was a wierd story; although it was typical of the kind of shit that swirled around Mayhem back in the day. Euronymous wasnt exactly that gracious toward a couple of his former band members either- and I'm not even talking about THE incident with THE member that everyone knows all about.

Mustaine has been nasty to almost all his former band members at some time or other. Often with good reason though, i.e. they stole from him or genuinely fucked him over. But then again, it was often for no real good reason other than, well, Mustaine tends to hold grudges.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:44 am 

HaydenMaddox wrote:
Didn't someone from the band Absurd punch Kanwulf in the face?

That was Wolf who did punch Kanwulf for making threats towards him online. I think Imperial from Krieg confirmed it as he was present when it happened in Germany in 2001 during the North American Black Metal Invasion Tour.

I didn't see a mention but there was a huge beef between norwegian and finnish black metal scenes in the early 90's. But it was all about misunderstading because of a prank call or whatever. It even affected to relations of Impaled Nazarene with some polish black metal scene and bands like Graveland (who were extremely pro-Norway that time). As Tol Cormpt back cover says in finnish "death to the assholes of Norway", then Carpathian Wolves booklet mentioned "Death to Impaled Nazarene, they know what this wish is for...". Impaled Nazarene used to also charge more money for orders from Poland, so Darken and others charged more for orders from Finland, heh.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:18 am 

Also, back cover of Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz says "no orders from Norway accepted!".

It was actually Beherit that prank called ImpNaz.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:53 am 

Guy who runs the record store I go to once told me a story about Manowar actually challenging Twisted Sister to a fight and not showing. He had no idea if it was true. I think his exact words were
"Whenever I recall it I keep meaning to check out if it's real or not, but, come on, I have things to do. Funny as fuck if it's true, though, yeah?"

Also, regarding Geoff Tate.
I'm a reserved gentlemanly metalhead, but if you like metal but don't like Ozzy era, fuck it, any era Black Sabbath, you're not even a poser, because you're not fucking metal.

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:28 am 

Von Jugel wrote:
Victor_Of_The_Void wrote:
I read once that Dave said "That Queensryche guitarist looks like Jamie Lee Curtis". Hmmmm....wonder who he was referring to.

It was Chris DeGarmo, because he DOES look like JLC.

Spoiler: show

it's uncanny! :rolleyes:

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:19 pm 

_MFMGW_ wrote:
f you like metal but don't like Ozzy era, fuck it, any era Black Sabbath, you're not even a poser, because you're not fucking metal.

lol

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:51 pm 

Apparently Karcharoth from Graveland didn't like Finland and Sweden.

It's so surprising that somebody you would judge, going by this article, as a complete fucking retard with serious mental problems (and in the end it's true, he even was travelling to Norway to kill Fenriz), actually has made better music than all the bands he is shittalking.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:02 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:

That dude sounds like a hateful nutjob.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:18 pm 

Regarding Kam Lee, if I remember correctly, Rick Rozz won't even say the guy's name. Kam went on his Facebook page and claimed he was getting ripped off on the Mantas CD that came out on Relapse because they didn't ask his permission. I remember Eric Greif addressing the issue on Death's page saying that Kam was full of shit because he was getting paid and that because Chuck had the copyrights on the Mantas stuff, they didn't need Kam's permission so that wasn't an issue.

Speaking of Chuck, I recall that there was feud with Atheist, too, over who was doing the technical stuff first, or something like that. Kelly from Atheist has mentioned the strained relationship with Chuck many times. I guess Chuck feuded with a lot of people. Someone, either Chris from Autopsy or one of the Repulsion guys, said if things weren't working out (in regards to band members), Chuck would rather just burn the bridge then try and fix the situation (or something to that effect) but it wasn't personal, it was that the music took precendent over everything else. That would probably explain a whole lot of the issues with various Death members and why a lot of them (Terry Butler, Rick Rozz, James Murphy, Gene Hoglan) don't seem to hold grudges about it.

Another feud not mentioned is Tom G. Warrior and the final line up of Celtic Frost. He trashed that drummer (I forget his name) big time. At first he said that he and Martin would remain friends, but then he made all these statements about Martin's lack of commitment and how Martin could have fixed things in CF but didn't. Personally, I never understood why Tom just didn't fire the drummer and continue on with CF. He and Martin make better music together than apart, IMO.

Another one surprisingly not mentioned was Ozzy Osbourne vs. Tony Iommi. It was mostly one-sided, but it went on for at least 10 years. Ozzy trashed Tony any chance he could. Sharon allegedly shit in a box and mailed it to Tony (classy lady!). The Osbournes went out of their way to sabotage Tony and Sabbath for years. Later, after Cross Purposes, there was some bad blood between Geezer and the Sabbath. I remember him saying that, basically, Tony Martin hated all metal and that Iommi was stuck in the past.

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 pm 

I saw Arkaik at Central Illinois Metalfest this year, they went on after Putrid Pile. At the end of their set they were like "alright we got two more songs for you" and the soundman told them they only had time for one more, so instead of just dealing with it their guitarist gets on the mic and starts bitching that "come on, that last guy got an extra song and we actually have a drummer".

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm 

metallicbrian666 wrote:
I saw Arkaik at Central Illinois Metalfest this year, they went on after Putrid Pile. At the end of their set they were like "alright we got two more songs for you" and the soundman told them they only had time for one more, so instead of just dealing with it their guitarist gets on the mic and starts bitching that "come on, that last guy got an extra song and we actually have a drummer".

Craig Peters is a pretty chill guy, and I highly doubt that he meant that as anything other than a light-hearted rib.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:01 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:

It's so surprising that somebody you would judge, going by this article, as a complete fucking retard with serious mental problems (and in the end it's true, he even was travelling to Norway to kill Fenriz), actually has made better music than all the bands he is shittalking.

That guy is amazing, spot on about the guys in Katatonia and Dark Funeral too. :lol:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 pm 

Those sound like very stupid statements coming from an equally stupid teenager, in fact. Or at least, I hope he was a teenager when he said that.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:47 pm 

That kind of like a teenage extreme metal fan giving stupid soundbites to the press to sound as "extreme" as possible; Varg Viknerness was infamous for spouting crap like this back in the day. Or, he is truely extreme- as in, an extreme asshole. I would expect most bands would want to distance themselves from this kind of crap.

Always wondered why Celtic Frost fell apart. Tom hinted at some disagreements with the drummer, but I never heard what went down. Would have been really interesting to see what another Celtic album would have been like.

CosmoSATAN
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:46 am 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
It's sort of a shame how much White Wizzard have fallen behind really - a slew of other new traditional bands have overtaken them by far, both in terms of output and originality. I wonder how much of it is down to Jon Leon's own character. But I digress....

I think its largely true, and its a shame. Flying Tigers is a cracking album

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:38 am 

I have no idea if this is legit and its oooold, but I got a good laugh off it, at least. (Because I really, really dont like Necrophagist pretty much for the exact reasons he mentioned.)

Brodequin drummer bashing Necrophagist:
http://forums.smnnews.com/archive/index ... 22751.html

DomDomMCMG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:41 am 

Rose Funeral recently started talking about how much they hate generic deathcore. Which is funny because Rose Funeral are generic deathcore themselves.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 am 

DomDomMCMG wrote:
Rose Funeral recently started talking about how much they hate generic deathcore. Which is funny because Rose Funeral are generic deathcore themselves.

That band sucks shit. I saw them as an opening band for Vader. I don't know who they sucked off to be on that bill, but they were. I think they filled in for Abigal Williams (not much better imo). I was relaxing with a friend and talking to Patrick Loisel of Augury, who just finished an amazing set, when some emo looking, lip pierced, shagging skinny pants guy came over and shoved a copy of Rose Funerals debut in all of our faces. Blind sided and not having seen the band yet, I bought it for $5.00 from their supposed emo merch guy mostly out of pity because they supposedly needed money for the road. After buying it, he went on to say "yea this is real death metal and not that pussy tech shit the last band played. It's truely satanic and evil!!!"

We all laughed our asses off, as he had no clue Patrick was standing right there.

Needless to say, after having to endure their live set that CD turned into a frisbee right out of my car window the second I heard the electronic bass drop come out of my speakers in the first song. That bands sucks, they should just give it up. How they are on Metal Blade I'll never know, one of their moms must be a MILF and is shacked up with their A&R guy.

Last edited by Delta_Wing on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:06 am 

They're on Metal Blade for the same reason that Whitechapel is: because it's what the kids like.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:09 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
They're on Metal Blade for the same reason that Whitechapel is: because it's what the kids like.

From the crowd response I can't say I can agree with that statement. Whitechapel while shit is shit on whole other level. Rose Funeral is in the 9th circle of shit while Whitechapel is just in the second circle.
Horrible band.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 am 

Whitechapel has moments of promise though, and they have made good stuff in the past. Rose Funeral is just a bag of dicks masquerading as music. That and they beat up kids at shows.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:54 am 

Subrick wrote:
Rose Funeral is just a bag of dicks masquerading as music. That and they beat up kids at shows.

Damn come to think of it, I saw that bag of dicks masquerading as music twice (love the analogy) and they had a kid thrown out for sitting at the front of the stage playing UNO. They told the bouncer it was some sort of threat against the band, because somewhere online people started talking shit about them and saying that people should send a message about how much they suck by playing UNO during their set and ignoring them.

Not sure of the whole back story behind the UNO thing, but that kid was there just to see Immolation and they wouldn't let him back into the venue. I see him all the time, he's harmless and a real knowledgable metal head. Thrown out for nothing more than just playing UNO and ignoring their terrible music. Bunch of pussy tough guy wannabes. A bunch of people were pissed after that bullshit move, and they hauled ass after their horrible set.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:54 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
They told the bouncer it was some sort of threat against the band, because somewhere online people started talking shit about them and saying that people should send a message about how much they suck by playing UNO during their set and ignoring them.

Sounds like he was deliberately trying to stir shit up, what did he expect?

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:37 pm 

Idk, if he is stiring shit up by throwing a beer bottle or threatening behavior its totally ok to throw him out, but for that?
Dick move.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:08 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
Darkthrone was pretty nasty to Dag Nilson when they decided to switch from Death Metal to Black Metal. They basically called him a death metal trendy who showed up to record A Blaze in the Northern Sky with a giant DM Bass Rig, wanting to lay down technical death metal bass riffs and they said, "Hey you plug into this here piece of shit amp and you play stripped down BM" or go home. Dag stuck it out.

After recording, Dag quit the band and only got credited as a session musician. Fenrez basically called him a poser wimp for not liking the switch to BM.

On a side note, I understand the reason why these guys switched to Black Metal, but never dug the hatred the early Norwegians, following Euronymous' example, poured out onto the death metal guys. Nicke Anderson of Entombed said it best in Swedish Death Metal, "One minute Darkthrone was like our best friends partying with us, needing our help to record Soulside Journey, then the next they treated us like enemies for no reason." And what was up with all of the BM guys mouthing off that DM metal bands were all running around in jogging suits? I never saw this, did anyone else?

Hmmm I do remember them talking shit about Entombed somewhere which was...odd...

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
metallicbrian666 wrote:

Craig Peters is a pretty chill guy, and I highly doubt that he meant that as anything other than a light-hearted rib.

Idk man, it didn't sound like he was joking. Either way it was an odd thing to say

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:00 pm 

LifeDemise wrote:
Delta_Wing wrote:
Darkthrone was pretty nasty to Dag Nilson when they decided to switch from Death Metal to Black Metal. They basically called him a death metal trendy who showed up to record A Blaze in the Northern Sky with a giant DM Bass Rig, wanting to lay down technical death metal bass riffs and they said, "Hey you plug into this here piece of shit amp and you play stripped down BM" or go home. Dag stuck it out.

After recording, Dag quit the band and only got credited as a session musician. Fenrez basically called him a poser wimp for not liking the switch to BM.

On a side note, I understand the reason why these guys switched to Black Metal, but never dug the hatred the early Norwegians, following Euronymous' example, poured out onto the death metal guys. Nicke Anderson of Entombed said it best in Swedish Death Metal, "One minute Darkthrone was like our best friends partying with us, needing our help to record Soulside Journey, then the next they treated us like enemies for no reason." And what was up with all of the BM guys mouthing off that DM metal bands were all running around in jogging suits? I never saw this, did anyone else?

Hmmm I do remember them talking shit about Entombed somewhere which was...odd...

Not really that odd seeing that Fenriz and Nocturno were like sheep following Euronymous. Euronymous says 99% of death metal sucks and all of those bands that play music that kids mosh to are trendy whimps on trendy labels. Darkthrone look in the mirror and realize that shit talking was a necessary out for them, since they basicallly use the exact same formula on Soulside that Entombed used. I mean, Uffe Cederlund assisted them in studio with the guitar sound to get that sick Stockholm buzz saw sound and was credited on their album. They all hung out during Darkthrone's stay in Stockholm. They used Sunlight Studio and Tomas Skogsberg.

Then "Oh shit our idol thinks thats all crap", better talk shit on Entombed instead of being lumped in with them. Real dick move IMO. They could've done their BM thing and stayed civil, but it was a product of youth and environment though. Nicke said Fenriz was a self absorbed asshole anyway running around in cowboy hats and only going by Hank Amarillo. Image That statement is pretty obvious even today.

At least Darkthrone have one decent album under their belt that I like.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm 

Yeah what I meant I thought it was odd them talking shit about Entombed when like a year or so before they were with them in the studio, hanging out etc doing the exact same thing... lol oh well.

Delta_Wing wrote:
At least Darkthrone have one decent album under their belt that I like.

Agree :thumbsup:

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:17 pm 

I remember sometime, I think in 1995, during a Cryptopsy show (with Lord Worm on vocals); between songs he asked the crowd: "Does anyone here like black metal ?". I'm not sure everyone heard and there was a general cheering response. He then added: "Well the next song is death metal... black metal sucks !!!". Then there was a mixed reaction from the crowd.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 pm 

I still really, really, REALLY do not understand the whole "war" between early 2nd wave black metal and death metal. Apart from either pure xenophobia relating to different countries of origin and following the retarded example of Euronymous, there really doesn't seem to be much there to support the fact that they'd always bad mouth each other or attack the other side physically, like when that Deicide show in Norway was bombed by black metallers.

Also, ironic that Lord Worm flat out said that at a show considering that he's doing Rage Nucléaire nowadays.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:20 pm 

Subrick wrote:
like when that Deicide show in Norway was bombed by black metallers.

That was a hyped up attribution that has since been discredited, and the details vary widely. I recall reading that it was an M-80 and an animal rights group was blamed, but it wasn't black metallers or much of a bombing, more mischief/scaring people.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 am 

Subrick wrote:
I still really, really, REALLY do not understand the whole "war" between early 2nd wave black metal and death metal. Apart from either pure xenophobia relating to different countries of origin and following the retarded example of Euronymous, there really doesn't seem to be much there to support the fact that they'd always bad mouth each other or attack the other side physically, like when that Deicide show in Norway was bombed by black metallers.

Well, with anti-commercialism and -consumerism being a big thing with Euronymous's idea of black metal, seeing the "commercialization" of death metal at the time, he felt it was a good idea to start badmouthing it, to make people flock to him even more. Pick a famous band member of the early Norwegian scene and the odds are that before 1991, they were playing death metal, not black metal. It's important to remember that Euronymous was older than most of the members of that early Norwegian scene so all these kinds of things might've been just ways for him to gain influence within that scene and build himself up as an important figure.

And, of course, it's important to remember that all of this is just guesswork based on... Well, not even secondhand, but third or fourth hand information.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 am 

kalervon wrote:
I remember sometime, I think in 1995, during a Cryptopsy show (with Lord Worm on vocals); between songs he asked the crowd: "Does anyone here like black metal ?". I'm not sure everyone heard and there was a general cheering response. He then added: "Well the next song is death metal... black metal sucks !!!". Then there was a mixed reaction from the crowd.

That's odd. Later he would say he was never into Cryptopsy's music that much; that he was always more a black metal guy.

The latter statements might've been lies to obfuscate the actual reasons as to why he left or was fired from the band. There were other confusing statements aswell.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next