Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DerDerDer93
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:41 am 

In the late 90s just about every heavy band was lumped into the genre of nu metal. there are several bands that not only do not sound at all like a nu metal band; but deny being a nu metal band. the most notable is the so-called creators of the genre(and my favorite band) Korn. They have said in several interviews that they are not a metal band and hate the term nu metal. They also say nu metal was born when other bands tried ripping off their sound.(such as Limp Bizkit) they are un-classifiable; which is why they are my favorite band. anybody know of any bands that they enjoy that were wrongly lumped into the genre? and if so explain why you feel they do not fit the mold. some that i can think of off the top of my head are Korn, Disturbed, Deftones, Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down, and Fear Factory just to name a few.
*SIDE NOTE*
When I think of nu metal I think of cheesy whiny sounding bands with red spiky hair. I was regrettably a fan of this genre when I first got into heavy music and other than the bands I mentioned above and Coal Chamber; I pretty much hate the genre.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 am 

I'm not sure if you can really say KoRn aren't a nu metal band. Genre terms are born of people seeking to identify them - it is rare for a band themselves to kinda proclaim their genre. My understanding is that Nickleback have referred to themselves at one point or another as a metal band, and Blue Cheer have used the term "ultrablues" to describe their music.

"Nu Metal" refers to the sound of bands like and including KoRn - that's where the terminology comes from.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

DerDerDer93
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:04 am 

I guess I can see where you are coming from. The problem I have with the term nu metal is that if somebody says they enjoy a band lumped into it they are deemed a "poser" which is bullshit. Although Korn is my favorite band; heavy metal lives in my heart. I simply can not live without it and for somebody to call someone such as me a poser is just plain bullshit.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:09 am 

Can I ask how old you are? I've found as you get older, people - in general - give less of a shit about what you listen to. That being said, I never really had those problems, and I was always open about the kind of music I listened to, metal or otherwise. The only time I think I've ever really dealt with anyone who would call others "poseurs" for what they listen to was on the Nightwish forums, haha - and maybe a couple of blokes here and there.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 am 

While you're not wrong in saying that a lot of bands got thrown under the "nu-metal" label for mostly non-musical reasons, it's pretty hard to deny that Korn and Disturbed are/were nu-metal. Besides, you'll find that people have become more accepting of nu-metal in some circles. The SOAD and Deftones apologists are widespread, and many Korn and Slipknot fans have appeared out of the closet of late.

PS: You need to learn how to use semicolons properly.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:15 am 

I think it's somewhat a umbrella term, but I think there is kind of similarities for the bands mostly 100% associated with the term.

Disturbed was only Nu-metal for one album, then so-so hard rock after that.
IMO
Bands that are undeniably Nu metal:
Korn
Spineshank
Limp Bizkit
Coal Chamber
Mudvayne

Bands that were, but have (arguably) changed their sound:
Deftones
Slipknot
S.O.A.D
Sevendust

Bands that get put under the term that shouldn't:
Pretty much any popular Late 90's/Early 2000's radio rock bands (3 Days Grace, Trapt, Crossfade, etc)
Chevelle, P.O.D., Staind, Saliva, Papa Roach

Just cause it's C-tuned \=\ "Nu metal"

Last FM

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:29 am 

You wanna know the sad part? You're gonna grow.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:18 pm 

Of course Korn is claiming that they are not a nu metal band: the genre is virtually dead and buried, and the cash flow simply isn't there any more. It's easier to claim being something else than to change. They are the archetype... no, holotype of nu metal. This claim is simply evasion and a pitiful attempt at not admitting to being a part of something that is so 90s and roughly as valid as grunge nowadays. Just tell them to shut up and stay out of the closet.

DerDerDer93 wrote:
Korn is my favorite band; heavy metal lives in my heart.

Division by zero... *tilt*

DerDerDer93
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:15 pm 

Im 20 years old to answer the question above. Korn denied being nu metal from the start. They hated the term. They deny being metal in general.

DerDerDer93
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:16 pm 

and as for the semi colon thing. grammar was never my strong point. heh

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:18 pm 

Motorhead call themselves a rock n roll band, not a metal band. Is there a more prominent, more consistent example of speed metal than Motorhead?

DerDerDer93
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:20 pm 

I understand what your saying. But the media made up the term, then korn was labeled as it because their music couldn't be described. Motorhead on the other hand probably just hates sub genres and labels. Regardless of what you call Motorhead they are pne of the best bands in the world and amazing to see live.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:33 pm 

DerDerDer93 wrote:
some that i can think of off the top of my head are Korn, Disturbed, Deftones, Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down, and Fear Factory just to name a few.

Wat. If those bands aren't nu-rock, no band is.

Stupid thread is stupid.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.