Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 pm 

So 'Carve My Cross' has been released via metalsucks here.
The EP will be up for grabs as a free download on the Scion A/V website tomorrow!
http://www.scionav.com/index

Still early days but I have a hunch the album will meet expectations.
We were all discussing about Arsis on this thread the last time. I must say I preferred the earlier artwork to this. Not sure what happened.

Last edited by shouvince on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 pm 

Wow, that song was great. Better than anything off Starve for the Devil.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:15 pm 

Got bored less than halfway through. This band is pretty much worthless to me now.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:24 pm 

Eh, kind of boring. I haven't really cared to listen to Arsis since "We Are the Nightmare"

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:29 pm 

So wait, I'm confused. Unwelcome is going to be the new album, coming out sometime next year. After they finished it, they decided to release an EP for free, one of the songs being a retracked version of a song they haven't released yet, on the upcoming album we don't have a solid release date for? What in the hell is going on?

As for the two songs themselves (there's another one over at Blabbermouth here) sound pretty standard for Arsis. If you liked them before you'll surely still like them now. Nobody's mind is going to change over these two.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 am 

BastardHead wrote:
So wait, I'm confused. Unwelcome is going to be the new album, coming out sometime next year. After they finished it, they decided to release an EP for free, one of the songs being a retracked version of a song they haven't released yet, on the upcoming album we don't have a solid release date for? What in the hell is going on?

It confused the hell out of me in the beginning as well. But I suppose since Scion is being a good samaritan in supporting bands and whatnots, Arsis must've grabbed onto the opportunity to release this EP. So I feel that 'Unwelcome' might still be scheduled to be released next year.

As far as the song goes, I think it's not great but it's a step in the right direction to reclaim even a quarter of the recognition that 'A Celebration of Guilt' received.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:55 am 

Generic overtriggered studio death metal. Yeah, gone is the fun band that played on Starve for the devil. This shit is just as soulless and sterile as all of their garbage tech death crap

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 am 

i literally cringed at that intro yell

and after listening to the whole track, i still have no interest in spinning anything since a diamond...

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:19 pm 

I like this EP. Definitely reminds me of their first two albums. Pretty standard Arsis stuff, so if you're not already a fan (as BastardHead stated) this probably won't make you a fan.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:39 pm 

Liking this a lot. Have they made physical copies yet? I can't wait to request a free CD and vinyl version of this. :3 Scion A/V is pretty cool.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:01 pm 

This EP was decent. Most of the solos and their backing riffs are pretty great, and there's 5 or 6 really good riffs. I have major beefs with the production though. I mean at this point shouldn't they have a better production? One that doesn't RAPE MY EARS.

Seto
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:38 pm 

joppek wrote:
i literally cringed at that intro yell

and after listening to the whole track, i still have no interest in spinning anything since a diamond...

This. Arsis will never reach the heights of ADFD and ACOG again. Gave up on them many years ago, and this has done nothing to make me regret that decision.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:30 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
This EP was decent. Most of the solos and their backing riffs are pretty great, and there's 5 or 6 really good riffs. I have major beefs with the production though. I mean at this point shouldn't they have a better production? One that doesn't RAPE MY EARS.

I agree to a fair extent with what you said. There are some decent riffs and solos, especially the stuff on 'Veil of Mourning Black'. I'd prefer this EP to anything after the United in Regret album. What's wrong with the production? Do you want it to be more polished? I'd want it to be as raw as possible to be honest. As far as what they were claiming earlier, they were planning to make it more rusty (if that's the word).

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:36 pm 

Not necessarily more polished. The guitar tone is pretty undefined for the kind of music being played, the drum sound is really terrible, and it's not conductive to being played really loudly. The louder it gets, the more unpleasant it becomes. It's strange.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Not necessarily more polished. The guitar tone is pretty undefined for the kind of music being played, the drum sound is really terrible, and it's not conductive to being played really loudly. The louder it gets, the more unpleasant it becomes. It's strange.

I think you have perhaps lost you're fondness of old-school and raw metal, if you ever had one. I like the guitar production a lot. I will agree though that the drums are pretty lame.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm 

Not at all, I find that even a raw and agressive guitar sound like the one Dismember uses has more definition. This tone is soft and weightless. I don't know how to explain it better than that.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:25 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

I agree the drum sounds are pretty shit. I don't have qualms with the tone per se but I haven't played it 'loudly' as such. All I ever use are earphones. If that's the case then there's something wrong with the mixing if it gets unpleasant with increasing volume, no?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:59 am 

I would think so, though I'm not exactly an expert in the matter. I've played many different records much louder and the results weren't as "grating" for lack of a better word. Then again, this is still very far from a Grand Supreme Blood Court situation as the production doesn't go so far as to ruin the music.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:27 pm 

It's kicking my ass. Definitely this is what should have come after United in Regret (although I like We Are the Nightmare and Starve).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:15 am 

Merely okay. Nothing spectacular, and by the end I kinda lose interest.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 pm 

I was kinda intrigued to see they did another rendition of Veil of Mourning black... still doesn't sound the same as on Celebration of Guilt... god, what a perfect album that was. Personally I haven't been able to find that much audial pleasure in any of their releases after the Diamond for disease EP.

Reply to topic