Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thrash_metal_forever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:13 pm 

I think it looks pretty cool. Reminds me a lot of the album art for Deeds of Flesh's Of what's to Come.

It's to be released Feb. 15 2013 and have 10 tracks, according to Blabbermouth. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=183003

AppleQueso wrote:
Pepsiman wrote:
How ironic. I don't really wear jackets or vests, so this is really not something I can help with.

how the hell is that "ironic"?

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:17 pm 

That's....I'm speechless as to how awesome this is. :headbang:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:34 pm 

Looks like Job for a Cowboy's album cover put through Deed's of Flesh's last album's filter.

While it isn't a bad piece I've come to expect more from Suffocation.... but at least it's better art than the self titled cover.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:42 pm 

Looks like it could be any generic brutal death metal or deathcore band.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:46 pm 

Yeah same font for the latest dying fetus and cover art similar to deeds... Too bad it doesn't really have that suffocation feel to it.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:47 pm 

Thrash_metal_forever wrote:
I think it looks pretty cool. Reminds me a lot of the album art for Deeds of Flesh's Of what's to Come.

i'm pretty sure its the same artist

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:48 pm 

I don't really like it. Doesn't look very Suffocation at all and the album title's font is the same that every deathcore band these days seems to use. Just doesn't distinguish itself at all from everything else out there these days. Meh, whatever, the album should be good.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 pm 

I hate this art, its the worst they've ever had. Corny figure all smothered in a computerised sheen, and the font on the title is disgusting deathcore.

Also not quite a blue orange contrast, but close enough. Booo!

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:14 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Looks like Job for a Cowboy's album cover put through Deed's of Flesh's last album's filter.

Exactly.

Numerator_41 wrote:

Yup.

cultofkraken wrote:
Too bad it doesn't really have that suffocation feel to it.

I concur.

Kind of let down by the artwork, not gonna lie. It's a good illustration I suppose, but Blood Oath raised the bar so high in terms of artwork that I can't get to like this. It doesn't seem to match the kind of music (I presume) Suffocation will play.

I'm not going to judge a book by it's cover though. Blood Oath was brutal, this should be too.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:

Yep.

Hopes aren't very high for this album. Suffocation just don't make the grade anymore.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:25 pm 

yeah, cover looks awful to me too, got nothing on the blood oath artwork which i thought was fantastic. still pumped to hear the music though, should be killer stuff yet again.

~Guest 294530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:46 pm 

Who care's about the cover? I, for one, think it looks pretty sweet, and cant wait for this. Sounds like it's going to be awesome from what the guys have said about it so far.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 pm 

Lost Wisdom wrote:
Who care's about the cover?

Me, to some extent.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 pm 

The cover doesn't look very Suffocation at all. Seems like touring with generic deathcore bands have made their toll on the band. Let's hope the music is good.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:04 pm 

Shouldve had Zig do it.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:09 pm 

A striking step down from Blood Oath. You'd think they would've gone further with that old school direction, apparently not.
Lost Wisdom wrote:

Those who don't want to look at a turd in reference to potentially good music.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:32 pm 

I understand that this isn't the style of artwork people typically like to see from such a classic death metal band. But really, relatively speaking, it looks pretty good. If anything, the album title font is the worst part.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:38 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Shouldve had Zig do it.

Agreed.

Yeah, the cover and album font reminds me too much of Deeds of Flesh. Hopefully the music will be a step up from Blood Oath (Didn't like that album, although the album cover rules).

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:41 am 

Lost Wisdom wrote:

Not me, but looks like we're in the minority here. Still stoked to hear what the music will be like.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:56 am 

No one has said the art has any influence on the music. The art is all that as been shown, people may as well talk about it.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:03 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
A striking step down from Blood Oath. You'd think they would've gone further with that old school direction, apparently not.

I agree with what you said. Nowadays, many bands in the deathmetal genre adopt this whole new school approach towards cover design. It's the same what SLK said, looks like a JFAC design. From most of the covers that you will encounter, you have a protagonist in the image doing something or holding something while the background is given a certain surreal effect.

Usually, when it comes to the cover, I tend to seek out a story that the band is trying to convey...and if not that, the cover better be goddamn unique without being kitschy.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:11 am 

It's not what I envisioned in my mind but I have no complaints. Glad that they're getting it out when they are in mid-February, as I had seen in an interview with Derek Boyer that they were initially looking at late Feb/early March at the latest. Upon revisiting Blood Oath, it's much better than I remembered and the slight murkiness to the production works in its favor so a continuation of that would be welcomed, but something a little more in the vein of their '90s material would be even better.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:36 am 

Well if the music is a continuation of how Blood Oath was I'd be happy. I enjoyed that album, yea sure it's not as great as early suffo but I really don't expect that to be happening. after the 3 albums since reformation I just hope as good as Souls to Deny/Blood Oath and less of the st.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:07 am 

Complete opposite here, I found the st to be better than Souls and Blood Oath to be flat out crummy.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:14 am 

I dont really have a problem with the art, its the album title font. Would be better to put on the side of the cd tray(like slayer divine intervention), but I wont even notice it on my mp3 player.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:11 pm 

I'm sure the music will be fine, but the artwork doesn't convince me either.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:30 pm 

It's kind a sad to me that people throw around abreviations like "JFAC" here and it means something to people.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:37 pm 

Yeah everybody hit my thoughts before I had a chance to post. Far too Par Olofsson-y for my taste (if he didn't do this cover I will eat my hat), and just doesn't have that Suffocation feel to it. And my first impressions were also JFAC meets Deeds of Flesh, both, surprise, Olofsson covers. Okay, so the art kinda sucks, but my real question is whether or not Culross was involved in the writing or not. I'm under the impression is was pretty much done by the time Smith left, and he's great and the Suffo drummer and all, but Culross is equally awesome and doesn't seem to have a shitty attitude towards the music/business/life.

And yeah, Blood Oath is kind of a slow burner for me. Every time I listen to it I like it a little bit more, but it's still the weakest barring the self titled. All three post-reunion albums haven't been as good as the original run's stuff, but I'm still interested anyway because Suffo just rules.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:11 pm 

The dude on the cover looks like a World of Warcraft raid boss. But who cares anyway? It's a new Suffocation album.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:03 pm 

I'm sure the new album will be good, just because it's Suffocation. Their latest works aren't as great as the pre-union stuff but they're still really good.

The thing about this cover is that the view so close up to the main subject. If the artist pulled the view out more (a lot more, perhaps), this cover would be in line with the previous album covers in Suffocation history.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:27 pm 

Lost Wisdom wrote:
Who care's [sic] about the cover?

I care's. It looks pretty damn cool.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:52 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Yeah everybody hit my thoughts before I had a chance to post. Far too Par Olofsson-y for my taste (if he didn't do this cover I will eat my hat), and just doesn't have that Suffocation feel to it.

Would you like fries with that? The first paragraph of the article says it was Raymond Swanland.

Par Oloffson's stuff is awesome and much better than this. Unfortunately it gets overused by heaps of third rate bands. Every time I see a cover like that, my brain thinks it ought to sound like The Vile Conception.

And I'm excited for this despite the mediocre artwork. Suffocation have always been hit and miss with that, having just gone from the ultra-boring self-titled to the outstanding Blood Oath cover.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:58 am 

ENKC wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Yeah everybody hit my thoughts before I had a chance to post. Far too Par Olofsson-y for my taste (if he didn't do this cover I will eat my hat), and just doesn't have that Suffocation feel to it.

Would you like fries with that? The first paragraph of the article says it was Raymond Swanland.

This is what happens when I don't read... :grumble:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:21 am 

That album cover looks like something that would make me want to buy it with money I shouldn't spend, but would ultimately result in bitter disappointment, a lack of finances, and a long, internal monologue about how I was suckered by marketing and I should be ashamed of myself.

Act of contrition?

Buy a different album that I know will be awesome.

Sweet consumerism.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:01 pm 

Lame overly digital and processed looking...and awful concept. It's awful when death metal bands pretty much have a figure in the center of their artwork..like some sort of mascot. I loved their early dark artwork. To me, the artwork on effigy is easily the best but that's because I'm a fan of post apocalyptic and futuristic imagery...

The amount of detail in this is unbelievable, whereas in the OP it's just focused on basically an extreme version of Eddie

The same applies to the pierced from within artwork. There is no message, just isolation, darkness, and outwordly/giger-ish influence here

I wish more art was done this way, with minimal processing and computer modification. A modern album with 'oldschool' art that comes to mind is the recent Vader album. I like the overall lack of a 'modern' feel to this

and It would be cool if more artists used less computer enhancements, fonts, or processes.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:16 pm 

I actually like the cover but the problem is that it's not really fitting for Suffocation. Also the cover for Blood Oath is much better.

ExNihilos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm 

I don't mind it. The art and color scheme does remind me of Deeds Of Flesh and if the view were panned out a bit more I think it would suit the rest of Suffocation's discography better. The title font is the only part that is really upsetting. What the fuck were they thinking with that?

This is pretty typical art for Swanland too. He does a lot of character artwork so the design isn't really too surprising.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:18 pm 

Pretty lame cover art, though to be honest I don't think Suffocation has ever had great art, just better and worse. This is probably the worse they've ever had.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:41 pm 

Its a pretty poor looking album cover with overly digitally altered and contrasted colours that gives it a photoshop feel. If this was the cover for a band I didn't know, I wouldn't even check it out, assuming that it was another generic deathcore band.

And just to preemptively address that last line for people who think that I shouldn't be "judging an [album] by it's cover", scenes do perpetuate a certain style of cover art, allowing one to determine the type of music to be found within, for the most part.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:37 am 

Not pertinent to the cover art, but I figured since this is going to become the thread for discussion about the album itself it's worth mentioning they've apparently rerecorded Beginning of Sorrow. Interesting to see how this fits in with the concept of the lyrics that's supposed to run through the rest of the songs, if at all, or if it's merely a "bonus track" as the closer as also seen on Pierced from Within, the self-titled album, and Blood Oath. Anyone else think it's a safe bet that we'll see Epitaph of the Credulous, Ornaments of Decrepancy, and Ignorant Deprivation get the same treatment before they call it a day?

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next