Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 pm 

Let's just say my triangle in a similar situation is still intact, and all three parties are still cool with each other, but I still feel like I dun goofed something up somewhere there.

And BH's Hour of Power ain't happening today, make room on that lillypad for me. But I won't go into detail because the FFA is a place for happiness, so instead allow me to retell the story of when I lived out a Mung song:

I, about 11 months ago wrote:
It's time for another edition of BastardHead Embarrasses Himself and Tells the Internet About It!

So today my boss comes up to me and says that the sump pump behind the dishwasher in our events kitchen isn't working, he has a bad shoulder and thus wouldn't be able to get out of the small enclosed area the pump resides in, so it's my job to go check it out. I have to stress that the little cubby hole I had to climb over the dishwasher to get to is maybe the size of a refrigerator , like 3'x3' if that, with several pipes from the sump underground coming up and into the walls and ceiling. I climb into this little cramped area and begin taking off the restraints on the backflow valve. I ask my boss if any sewage is going to shoot up at me, he says "probably not". I take off the bracket and backflow, the two connecting pipes just sat there idly, looks like I'm gonna be fi-PSYCHE! OLD GREASE RUNOFF THAT'D BEEN FESTERING FOR MONTHS IS NOW ROCKETING OUT OF THE PIPE BELOW ME AND COMPLETELY FUCKING SOAKS ME. My boss stopped himself from laughing long enough to unplug the pump (why neither of us thought to do this beforehand is anybody's guess).

I climb out of the tiny crevasse, sopping wet with months old food sewage, the stench is completely overwhelming. There is no way to describe this smell if you haven't experienced it firsthand, it's utterly wretched. I have a really weak stomach, but managed to laugh it off instead of barfing my balls out. I take a side door outside to go back to the shop behind the bowling lanes so as to avoid the customers (high school classes come in to bowl (many of them all-girl classes), as such the center was full of 17/18 year old girls), only to find that the big full body suit I had planned on wearing in lieu of my sewage drenched clothes had gone AWOL. I had nothing to change into for the drive home for my now urgent shower. I decide that since it's against the law to drive naked, I'll just have to tough it out. I walk out the side door again and this time head for my car. After a few steps I started to get grossed out by the squishy sensation between my toes, so I took off my socks and shoes. I then decided there was no social taboo for a man to be shirtless, so I also took off my shirt. I turned the corner of the building and saw all the high school kids filing out of the building towards their buses. Of course, every last one of them is staring at the hairy, barefoot, shirtless, bearded man (in the middle of December) charging towards them. I realize how creepy I look, so I decide to explain my situation. My tact explanation came out more like "I'M COVERED IN SEWAGE!!", causing around a hundred teenage girls to either laugh or scream and scurry onto the bus as fast as they could.

My life is incredible.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:08 pm 

Saw Wintersun and Eluveitie last night. Wintersun probably had the cleanest, fullest sound I've ever heard at a live show, to the point where I'd say it was better sounding than in studio form. I could hear every note of every instrument and understand every word coming out of Jari's mouth. This is extremely rare in live performances, at least in my experience. Eluveitie wasn't bad but they played their entire new album which I hadn't heard a single song from prior to the show so that kind of sucked, but they sounded OK. The venue became much less crowded after Wintersun left the stage though.

Wintersun set list (order could be wrong but will try to get it close as possible):

When Time Fades Away
Sons of Winter and Stars
Land of Snow and Sorrow
Winter Madness
Death and the Healing
Time
Beyond the Dark Sun
Starchild

Maybe one more but I'm not sure. Really disappointed that they didn't play Batlle Against Time, but like I said the sound/set was incredible so I can't complain.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:28 pm 

BastardHead acknowledged the existence of The Mung? Looks like I'm another step closer to dying a happy man.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:40 pm 

Dude, you're still young. I guess what you meant is "to dying a happy teenager".
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:00 pm 

FlaPack wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Went out for drinks with my best friend's girlfriend . . . But, I don't know what to do. We both decided to bury it...but that's just gonna sit with me forever. Fucking, fuck, fuck. This is quite a pickle.

My best friend, his long time girlfriend (5 years) and I planned an end of the summer, last hurrah before back to the books sort of vacation to the Bahamas circa 2000. Friend decides to drop out of college and move back home and "oh, by the way, I can't make it to the islands next week." Seriously, who does that? Long story short, a girl, a guy, sharing a hotel room and a couple gallons of rum on a tropical island. It was kind of inevitable. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Longer story short, 9 years married, 2 kids and he's still my best friend (yeah, there was a couple of years of intense weirdness there but small price to pay right, especially when he's paying most of it, yeah I'm a dick).

Moral of the story: your insipid and tardy bro-yalty just cost you your happy ending. Might as well give up now and go find your chair at the end of the bar. And you can go ahead and start looking for a liver donor while you're at it. It's inevitable.

Wow, and you married her? That's awesome. :lol:

The whole love triangle thing hasn't happened to me per se, but I once went with a friend back to his hometown eight or nine hours from where I lived and his mom tried to have sex with me. I didn't actually have sex with her, but it's a great tool for leverage. He brags a lot, so I love bringing up to him that I technically could be his father in more ways than one :lol:. Even better: he's never invited me back since. Yes, she's quite attractive. I also get hit on a lot by older women (at least older than I am). I never complain.

Veni, vedi, vici.

Obligatory Last FM Link

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 pm 

"Vidi, vici, veni" would be more fitting if you actually had slept with her, Gunther.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm 

I know :( :P :lol:

Obligatory Last FM Link

Last edited by GuntherTheUndying on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm 

Old chicks seem to love guys with long hair, at least in my experience. Had one hitting on me in a bar during the summer. She ended up dragging me off to her van for a shitty blowjob while the husband watched.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:45 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
But, I don't know what to do. We both decided to bury it...but that's just gonna sit with me forever. Fucking, fuck, fuck. This is quite a pickle.

It wasn't your fault, Frog. I blame the host of the party. Firstly for allowing males and females to gather together socially in their home, secondly for serving alcohol at such a gathering, and thirdly for not providing a sufficiently high-quality film to engage the attention of the attendees of said gathering and thus prevent the creeping in of sin. :|

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:50 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
Old chicks seem to love guys with long hair, at least in my experience. Had one hitting on me in a bar during the summer. She ended up dragging me off to her van for a shitty blowjob while the husband watched.

:-D

I'm going to this tonight: http://www.lastfm.fr/event/3450685+Alco ... 8re+gauche

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:52 pm 

SIN!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:56 pm 

Why am I imagining Under_Starmere in a Puritan outfit?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 pm 

I have a serious case of a Sabaton song being stuck in my head, after a week of spinning Carolus Rex in the car, since the kids enjoy it, too. While it's annoying, it would be an unfair stretch to claim it's a bad choice to have on permanent repeat 24/7. I mean, the album does have an epic quality that the reviewers so have failed to understand.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:40 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
Why am I imagining Under_Starmere in a Puritan outfit?

My first guess would be because you compulsively do that with everyone around you, all the time; that it's related to a fevered and repressed fetish; and that you just happened to apply it to me because you looked at my name last.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:05 pm 

So apparently a DNA molecule has been directly photographed for the first time.
Thought that was pretty cool. Quite an ingenious method, too.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:17 pm 

Just home from seeing Cauldron, and I can safely say they were one of the most energetic and relentless live bands I've seen in a long time... They also threw Venom and Bathory covers into their set, which was the last thing I saw coming.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 pm 

Ecliptik wrote:
So apparently a DNA molecule has been directly photographed for the first time.
Thought that was pretty cool. Quite an ingenious method, too.

And I thought it was mindblowing to see a strand of DNA as a dark line during transcription. It's pretty incredible how they got a picture, and after reading the article it makes sense why there weren't any major or minor grooves. High hopes for biophysicists and molecular biologists the world over.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29 pm 

Oh, black metal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZt3ihr3h7c&feature=plcp

"Fuckin' Ashes" at the end cracked me up pretty hard.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:10 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Well....time for Sad Lilly Pad [Frog] stories. Opposite of BastardHead's Hour of Power!

Okay, you probably shouldn't have done that, but alcohol, testosterone, and being caught in the moment can really get to you.

A number of years ago, my friend's girlfriend at the time and I shared a cab ride back to his place, where she was holding my hand, kissing my cheek, and she told me, "if I wasn't with him, I would so be with you." I was scared out of my mind. Once we got to his house she stopped flirting. Neither of us have ever told him. So while it might eat you up on the inside, let it; it's best not to tell him because, as you say, it will crush him, and nobody wants that.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 am 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Oh, black metal...

The vocals alone made me crack up! :lol:
"ASHEUUUHS"

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:21 am 

Some random North Korean insanity:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/3 ... 19289.html
"North Korea Finds Secret Unicorn Lair Said To Prove Pyongyang Was Capital Of Ancient Korea"

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:59 am 

Orchid mantises are fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9yRSxTSTU

Not my video, but I recorded a few with my cellphone of my orchid mantises catching fruit flies. They are really quick!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:00 am 

FlaPack wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Went out for drinks with my best friend's girlfriend . . . But, I don't know what to do. We both decided to bury it...but that's just gonna sit with me forever. Fucking, fuck, fuck. This is quite a pickle.

My best friend, his long time girlfriend (5 years) and I planned an end of the summer, last hurrah before back to the books sort of vacation to the Bahamas circa 2000. Friend decides to drop out of college and move back home and "oh, by the way, I can't make it to the islands next week." Seriously, who does that? Long story short, a girl, a guy, sharing a hotel room and a couple gallons of rum on a tropical island. It was kind of inevitable. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Longer story short, 9 years married, 2 kids and he's still my best friend (yeah, there was a couple of years of intense weirdness there but small price to pay right, especially when he's paying most of it, yeah I'm a dick).

Moral of the story: your insipid and tardy bro-yalty just cost you your happy ending. Might as well give up now and go find your chair at the end of the bar. And you can go ahead and start looking for a liver donor while you're at it. It's inevitable.

Fuck. It happened to me too, except that I got the raw end of the deal. I had introduced my best friend to my then-girlfriend since they were in the same city. Long story short, things got pretty rough and boom...he ended up going around with her (circa 2009). Sucks to be in a different city pursuing Uni. I had to cut all ties with them! Triangles are messed up, unless you're completely void of emotion >_> On the flipside, I ended up meeting a way-cooler & prettier girl so yeah...not complaining too much except for losing a close friend.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:50 am 

North Korea is ridiculous.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:04 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Orchid mantises are fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9yRSxTSTU

Not my video, but I recorded a few with my cellphone of my orchid mantises catching fruit flies. They are really quick!

Not that surprising, as those things are the Bruce Lees of the insect world; fast and lethal. I mean damnit, there's a Kung Fu style that's named after them!
Aeonblade wrote:
Rotting_Christ_Mike wrote:

You mean hilarious.

Those two characteristics aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:39 am 

Rotting_Christ_Mike wrote:

You mean hilarious.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:24 pm 

Quote:
EK: Here’s my question about those comments. Romney was promising the very rich either a huge tax cut or, if you believe he would’ve paid for every dime and dollar of his cut, protection from any tax increases. He was promising financiers that he would roll back Dodd-Frank and Sarbanex-Oxley. He was promising current seniors that he wouldn’t touch their benefit. How are these not “gifts”?

CF: Let me be clear that I’m not defending any of them. But I think the way it works — and I think Romney’s comments were very telling in this regard — there are two differences in the mind of this class. First, they’re absolutely convinced that they’re not asking for special privileges for themselves. They’re convinced that it just so happens that their self-interest coincides perfectly with the collective interest. That’s where you get this idea of the “job creators”. The view is that to seek a low tax environment or less regulation, that’s not special pleading for yourself, it’s not transactional politics. It’s that this set of rules is the most conducive to economic growth for everybody. It will grow the pie. Now, it also happens to be an incredibly convenient way of thinking. If you’ve developed an ideology that what’s good for you personally also happens to be good for everyone else, that’s quite wonderful because there’s no moral tension.

Great quote: encapsulates all mainstream American political thinking, neoliberal, liberal and libertarian.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... -subprime/

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 pm 

Yes, and also its corollary: what isn't good for me, isn't good for the economy.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:53 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
xThe__Wizard wrote:
What are some bands that have members that have dreadlocks? No need to mention Chris Barnes or any nu-metal band.

Amorphis singer Tomi Joutsen has very long dreads. Terrence Hobbs of Suffo has smaller dreads.

In Flames singer... Oh right, you said no nu metal. Besides he has probably cut those off by now. The last thing I saw about him was his shirt that said [LINK]IN FLAMES.

Forgot about Terrence Hobbs. Got to listen to Suffo sometime soon.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:01 pm 

It's kind of hard to see in this terrible video, but the vocalist of Kiuas had dreads once upon a time. You'd be doing yourself a favor to listen to this song instead, though.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:28 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Det_Morkettall wrote:
Oh, black metal...

The vocals alone made me crack up! :lol:
"ASHEUUUHS"

Oh my. *Someone* in that band likes Attila...

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:36 pm 

Gawddamned, my left ear is completely stuffed right now.... I can't hear a single thing with it. :ugh: And my doctor's appointment is on monday. This is true hell.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:24 pm 

Mantis strikes are fast, but I think Orchid mantises (and likely many other flower mantises or other hymenopodidae) have a particularly faster strike to be able to catch flying insects in midair.

There is one mantis that probably has a faster strike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L87fsH19quw

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:36 pm 

Mantids can pounce?!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:53 pm 

Quote:
One day I was headed into the grocery store to get some painkillahz and a new tube of bengay when some girlscouts asked if I wanted to buy some cookies! I whipped my head towards them so fast my neck bones made a gross snapping sound and my bloodshot eyes immediately filled with tears! "Can't you see I'm on a diet!?" I screamed, voice cracking, and began bawling uncontrollably! I had checked my BMI recently and discovered that 30,000 pounds of solid muscles put my 18 ft frame several tons overweight!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:03 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Mantids can pounce?!

That's one of the things that make them awesome. They are like the felines of the insect world.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:12 pm 

We should be thankful that no such thing as giant mantids can exist.....

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:16 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Quote:
One day I was headed into the grocery store to get some painkillahz and a new tube of bengay when some girlscouts asked if I wanted to buy some cookies! I whipped my head towards them so fast my neck bones made a gross snapping sound and my bloodshot eyes immediately filled with tears! "Can't you see I'm on a diet!?" I screamed, voice cracking, and began bawling uncontrollably! I had checked my BMI recently and discovered that 30,000 pounds of solid muscles put my 18 ft frame several tons overweight!

What...

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:19 pm 

Apparently our army thinks it's okay to sing SS songs on our national day of mourning... oO
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:00 pm 

What is a poser to a metalhead? I heard Paul Baloff talking about killing posers. It occurred to me that I don't know what poser means. Can someone define this word for me?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 699, 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705 ... 827  Next