Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:22 pm 

So... I seem to be finding the pre-order for this on CDON.com, Amazon and Ebay. It seems like this is really happening and according to the Nuclear War Now boards it's happening under the Century Media banner somehow. Now, anyone knows more info on this? Because the release date seems to be mid November. The artwork seems to be slightly different from the original as shown here, a bit glossier and with the logo and lettering on different sizes/positions. But what I'm really interested in is if there are any differences in the sound.

This hasn't been officially announced anywhere apparently, and it seems that a vinyl edition is also in order.

Thoughts on this? Info on this? Please share them here. :)

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 pm 

Just found a seller on ebay for the re-issue. Seventeen bucks for a piece of BM history? great. Thanks for this news.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:57 pm 

Have the original but glad it's finally being reissued, if it is??

Artwork looks tad different as you said but nothing major... which is good! Fuck I hate it when they do that (Necromantia....).

Can't see the need to change the sound but who knows...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 am 

Yeah, cover art is mostly identical. Reminds me of the colour work the Thanatos covers saw from CM as well. My doubt is if this is really coming out or not because CM's website has nothing on this subject. I also don't see a reason to change the sound but hey, it's CM and they've butchered a few remastered editions over the years.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:17 am 

I might just make this my first ever vinyl. Very glad they didn't replace Necrolord's brilliant painting with some shitty photoshop. Hopefully they'll release some shirts, too.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:48 am 

Anything that makes this album more available can only be good, even if they do fuck 99% of it up along the way!

Daemonlord
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:54 am 

Yep, I had it confirmed by EMI last week (it's a Century Media re-issue). 12th November CD & Vinyl format. The pre-sale info says " Remastered debut album by Swedish melodic black metal outfit." - doesn't give a lot away.

https://www.instagram.com/daemonlord_ig/

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:17 am 

Daemonlord wrote:
Yep, I had it confirmed by EMI last week (it's a Century Media re-issue). 12th November CD & Vinyl format. The pre-sale info says " Remastered debut album by Swedish melodic black metal outfit." - doesn't give a lot away.

Well, at least it's official. :)

Now the big deal with be with the remastering job I reckon. And taking into consideration their hit and miss track record in the past I'm not sure if I'll pre-order this or not. The recent "music for the masses" campaign with innumerous unneeded remasters still haunts me.

hellbloodfire666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:33 am 

I'll be pre-ordering this very soon.
I really hope they don't screw up this long awaited vinyl release.

by looking at the images online, it looks pretty much like the original cover, except for a slightly different looking band logo with some photoshop effects on it..

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:20 am 

Yeah, I also have to wonder why they're remastering it - you could just reissue it. It sounds perfect as is! I'm not being all purist with that, either - some albums actually DO need remastering, but this definitely isn't one of them.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:10 pm 

This release should not be remastered, the production on the original is exceptional. The production is a bit part of what makes the album so exceptional, it fits the music perfectly and changing it seems like a poor choice. Any word on who is remastering it?

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:38 pm 

The fact that it's being remastered worries me a little bit. I don't want it to sound like an entirely different album. That being said, I'm glad I'll finally be able to get my hands on it without going broke in the process.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:29 pm 

I was just looking up this album today. Seems like I'll have to check it out. Now if only they'd reissue Vinterland's album. I had to shell out quite a few bucks to get that CD, but the cool thing is that it's in mint condition, first pressing. =]

jgarci12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:48 pm 

My all-time favorite black metal album. Man, this is the best news I've heard all week.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:06 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Now if only they'd reissue Vinterland's album.

It was reissued two years ago.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm 

Well, it didn't do a hell of a lot of good. It's still nearly impossible to find.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:18 pm 

It was limited to 2000 copies so it was bound to become out of print really fast. You can still find a few copies online for less than half the price of the original edition though. In fact the Temple of Darkness Records website still lists the reissue as "available".

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:24 pm 

It's not in their distro list anymore, though.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:46 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
It's not in their distro list anymore, though.

Funny enough I remember talking to the Temple.of Darkness guys and back then when the Vinterland re-issue came out they were already in talks with Sacramentum about doing a re-issue, the deal must have fallen through though. On a side note I think Sacramentum overshadows Vinterland not by alot though, I just find myself spinning Far Away From the Sun alot more and as an added bonus my version also contains their debut ep so altogether it is a stunning release, glad to see they kept the original artwork as it was. It will be interesting to hear the album remastered.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 pm 

That's a good piece of news.
I'm also wondering why it has to be remastered...

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:34 pm 

So anyone got the reissue yet? Would like to know how it sounds.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:55 pm 

LifeDemise wrote:
So anyone got the reissue yet? Would like to know how it sounds.

Me as well. Opinions on the remaster would be interesting.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:36 pm 

It's strange that Century Media is doing a re-release that is allegedly out now and it's basically impossible to find any sort of information about it. It's not in their store, in their news/artists/releases, and the only sources of information are a few forum threads. Amazon has it listed without a record label and out of stock.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:49 pm 

Wait, what?! o_O

Apparently it has been pushed to next January??? This is smelling real bad... Has anyone been able to actually buy a copy of this?

mogila
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:11 pm 

Forgive my ignorance but, is the band responsible for this, or is the record label just remastering it, or is it a combination of both?

Anyway, I don't think it needs to be remastered at all. The original seems fine it just seems like cash grab to me. Maybe if there was an a new and/or unreleased track(s) on this edition then I might consider checking it out but with just slightly better artwork and slightly better sound I'll probably give it a miss.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:37 pm 

Well... I'm not sure if anyone really knows in what way this is or isn't happening. It's been so shrouded in doubt and without any official statements about it that it gives more to one's imagination than to the rational mind.

Pepsiman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:39 pm 

If you ask me, the second and third Sacramentum albums would benefit more from a remaster. They don't sound bad, but their production isn't as good as the debut.Either way, increased availability isn't really a bad thing when it comes to Far Away From The Sun.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 am 

The sophomore does have a really dry production, too much treble I think. I think a remix would be better than a remaster in that case. I have no beef with the last one though.

It would be good that this reissue would see the light of day because many people still don't have a copy of the album. including me

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:34 am 

I agree that the second and third albums could be improved by remixing them, but it's also somewhat difficult - their production is a bit more conventional, it's not a perfect fit for the band like the debut, but I don't think that production would serve them and it would be hard to change it significantly without it potentially being very unappealing, especially with the tendencies of modern remixing.

It's still pretty weird that CM doesn't seem to have announced anything about it.

d_in_flames
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:07 pm 

avail for preorder via cmdistro.de...grab it now!

LP
http://www.cmdistro.de/Item/Sacramentum_-_Far_Away_From_The_Sun_-black_LP-/1461

CD
http://www.cmdistro.de/Item/Sacramentum_-_Far_Away_From_The_Sun/1460

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm 

Damn, niiiiice. I'll never forgive myself for passing on this album used some years ago when I didn't quite fully appreciate this album as the classic that it is, but I'm glad to see that it's being reissued. I think I'll preorder the LP.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 pm 

Official release date: January 28

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=185047

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:48 pm 

Official video out for Fog's Kiss... I am beyond shocked, this is my favorite album of all time, the production "remaster" isn't different and sounds amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GcZS2jI4Rs

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:59 pm 

I hardly pay any attention to what CM releases nowadays, but this is something I will definitely pick up. Maybe they should do more classic reissues like this?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 pm 

It's relevant to say that The Moaning's only album is also being reissued on CM.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:28 pm 

Pre ordered the picture LP earlier. NOW LET'S SEE THAT SLAUGHTERSUN REPRESS

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm 

One of the best black metal albums released to date. It's come to my attention that the drumming is a little off at times, but nothing serious.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:05 pm 

Just spoke to Anders Brolycke about the reissue.

Quote:
We're not doing anything except the rerelease. The video is made back in 97. The remastering is made by Swanö and is just slight crispier than the original. Thanks for your support.

So it isn't Century doing the remastering and it is in fact, Dan. That's good news.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:28 pm 

Dan Swano and "slightly crispier" in the same sentence gives me the chills... On the other hand if the band is indeed working with Dan on the remaster it should come out unhinged. Fingers crossed!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 pm 

So I had the opportunity to listen to the digital promo of the reissue and compare it to the original. Mind you that the comparison takes base on the original, ripped at 320k, versus the digital promo of the reissue at the customary 192k from CM. Although it isn't an entirely accurate comparison some things are indeed evident, so I thought I would share them with the rest of you.

Volume wise the sound seems to be identical, so on all accounts this won't come out (most likely) as an overly loud and/or compressed/clipped reissue. In terms of clarity of the instruments things are noticeably different. When I say "clarity" what I mean is the accuracy which is presented on different instruments (guitar, bass, drums) and not arguable aspects that vary from person to person. The sound is way less muddy and "brighter", in fact the majority of the mud seems to have been removed from the recording. The guitars are now perfectly distinguishable at all times, even when the rhythm is repeating a riff and the lead is doing a tremolo over it. The bass seems to have a bit more definition and less "boom" but I can't tell for sure. The drums are also, and like the guitars, "brighter" in that the sound is more detailed and cleaner. If you put both songs side by side and scroll through them to compare you'll notice how the guitars sound slightly different in tone, mainly because the mud that was between the rhythm/lead isn't there and there's what seems like a slight shift in the overall tone of both of them. My point being that the differences are noticeable. Now this isn't as bright and clear as the Death reissues on Relapse, but the sound is indeed clearer and brighter. In a way it reminds me of the Disrupt reissue when compared to the original album, with an absence of mud and increased clarity on the instruments.

Two points remain. One is that some people will probably be pissed at it because the reissue has a different tone when compared to the original, in a way it sounds a bit like a clean modern production job instead of something made in the nineties. Second and more important is if the original copies will retain their market value or not, because with a different sound or not I'm still not going to spend over 50€ on one.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next