Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:23 pm 

Werewolf wrote:
I would probably be able to enjoy Bathory's "Twilight of the Gods", if it had only the half an hour long song.(

That's a CD error, my friend. The song 'Twilight of the Gods' is about 14 minutes in length, but for some reason the following 2 tracks, 'Through Blood by Thunder' and 'Blood and Iron' are counted as track 1 also. If you downloaded the album, you probably wouldn't realise this.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:18 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Evoken wrote:
Off the top of my head...

Lame
Woods of Ypres - IV The Green Album
Woods of Ypres - The Deepest Roots and Darkest Blues

Good
While Heaven Wept - Fear of Infinity
While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose

Fixed!

The Woods of Ypres albums are lame in some ways, so I can't blame a person for thinking that...but there is something about David Gold's songwriting that has always appealed to me regardless of the band's flaws.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:20 pm 

LifeDemise wrote:
Unorthodox by Edge of Sanity comes to mind. Almost an hour is too long for a death metal album imo.

K, another one that I forgot to mention is. Dawn - Slaughtersun. The tracks are too loooooooooong for what it is. If there was like I dunno... 15-20 minutes shaved off it be pretty good... oh well.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 pm 

LifeDemise wrote:
K, another one that I forgot to mention is. Dawn - Slaughtersun. The tracks are too loooooooooong for what it is. If there was like I dunno... 15-20 minutes shaved off it be pretty good... oh well.

I recall that one being a long album but I didn't have too much issue with it. I can understand what you mean, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Crypt Infektor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:38 pm 

At only 16 minutes, Hirax's Hate, Fear, Power is WAY to short. Even though I really did dig Raging Violence a great deal, this one just seems more rowdy, unhinged and chaotic.

Another short one would be Black Funeral's Vampyr - Throne of the Beast. The 27 minute song length is a good thing and a bad thing. A good thing is because all the ideas don't over stay its welcome. The bad thing is...the epic mood/atmosphere it puts out is pretty much over soon as it began.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:42 am 

I've been noticing a lot of excessively short doom metal albums lately with Weedeater's Jason The Dragon and Saint Vitus's new album immediately coming to mind. I know the latter has always had 6 or 7 tracks per album but they could afford to put on an extra track or two.

ExNihilos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 am 

Obscura is one that's always mentioned. To me the later tracks on Obscura never felt like they were retreading ground and each track helped to piece together the atmosphere that I thought the album was going for. The increasingly hoarse vocals culminating on "Illuminatus" only add to it.

I can think of a few that are too long:

Nightbringer's Hierophany of the Open Grave - I enjoyed the album, but some of the atmospheric bits (usually those with synths) felt needless.

Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum...- This one's often mentioned as well, but here I agree. The outro track and the toss-in "Drink The Devil's Blood" are pointless additions to an album that works well as a singular concept.

Noisear's Subvert The Dominant Paradigm - Another album filled with frenzied guitarwork that I enjoyed. "Noisearuption" just does not fit however and makes a twenty-five minute grindcore album forty-five minutes. I'm all for noise music, but keep it fitting for the album (like Gigan did with their "Untitled" track).

Antediluvian's Watchers' Reign - Not a good album which goes to show that it comes down to perception, but even then the musical elements are so limited and the production so sparse that it makes listening to the whole thing a chore.

Too short:

Nails' Unsilent Death - Fun crustcore romp that ends long before it should, although I wouldn't extend its length too much. Replaying the album just leads to it getting old fast due to lack of musical variation.

Gridlink's releases as well for the reasons another user mentioned.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2