Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:04 am 

Thanks for explaining your concerns in detail, mindshadow (still don't agree, but that's for another day).

^I remember that article about metal and intelligence; it was being shared (physically and digitally) like crazy here for a while. There's a way to get around the pay-walling for that shitrag, btw, but you need to know the original date of publication; I'll insert it via an edit here if I remember how.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:50 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
BastardHead, you JUST discovered Abnormality? Have you been living under a rock?

Pretty much, yeah. That and there's always the chance that I saw them before and just dismissed them because everything on Sevared has historically been awful and I'd just forgotten.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:06 pm 

Metal fans more sporty and sociable than the average? Huh, wish I'd gotten that memo sooner.
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:08 pm 

Yeah that's definitely not true of me.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 pm 

Finally got my ACT scores back. Let's just say I'm a happy camper :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:25 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
Yes run away to bed, rather than have to stay and argue

lol wat... yeah, Calusari, how dare you get some sleep instead of arguing with morons on the Internet! Next you'll tell me you have to go eat, too? :rolleyes:

Quote:
I expect no answers from you both, as your above posts prove once again you have no substantial answers to offer someone who posts a genuine concern, supported by facts - only name calling and half assed skewed political juvenile references.

Inflammatory comment doubled with pure mindshadowesque hypocrisy? Say it ain't so.

Oh, and
Quote:
I ask that you be temporarily banned

Now I'm tempted to bring back the rulings on the banhammer challenges...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 pm 

Xanzotire wrote:
Metal fans more sporty and sociable than the average? Huh, wish I'd gotten that memo sooner.

I certainly am, although in my younger years I was something of an outcast and completely a//scocial.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm 

Metal fans as a whole may be more social/sporty than others, but internet forum users aren't.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 pm 

Quote:
More athletic

ok

Quote:
socially sucessful

hahahahha i just fell of my chair cause I can't stop laughing

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:54 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Finally got my ACT scores back. Let's just say I'm a happy camper :)

Believe me, if you can prove to any college that you'll pay them in full every quarter / semester, then they won't give a shit about your ACT / SAT score. My barely passing scores and uncle sam money proves that.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:30 pm 

Anyone know anythign of the Philadelphia metal scene? I'm moving there in February from my frozen Canadian prison and I have to know what my chances are as a promoter.

That aside, jeez, it's been forever since I was here. How is everyone? TheNiceNightmare ever come around anymore?

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:30 pm 

Two weeks ago I went and saw Lamb Of God, In Flames, and Hatebreed. Last week was Megadeth and Kyng. This Thursday is Cannibal Corpse, Misery Index, and Hour of Penance. Things are good right now.

Just to clarify for the poster above me, I am not in the Philadelphia area however I am from PA.

Last edited by TheIbexMoon666 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:45 pm 

Edit: double post by accident. Posting from your iPhone sucks, haha.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Anyone know anythign of the Philadelphia metal scene? I'm moving there in February from my frozen Canadian prison and I have to know what my chances are as a promoter.

Dude, get stoked cuz you're moving to one of the best current scenes in the US. Lots of rad bands and rad folks. I've got a lot of good friends there from over the years. I'd highly recommend looking into Coffin Dust, Infernal Stronghold, Casket, Backslider, Angelcrust, Woe, and Vektor. There's more good stuff like Backslider there too if you're into fastcore/grind etc.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:02 pm 

Calusari wrote:
socially conservative libertarians,

The fuck? Do you even Libertarianism? An old school Conservative is not a Libertarian. Christ.

last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:

That aside, jeez, it's been forever since I was here. How is everyone? TheNiceNightmare ever come around anymore?

You're moving to the states? Any particular reasons? Canada is perhaps frozen, but as a prison it has universal healthcare!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:43 pm 

I can definitely agree with this guy in the video. I tend to get annoyed when people claim to be "nerds" or "geeks" because they tend to do one or few things that they consider "nerdy" or while in reality, they are not even nerds and they are just following a trend. And these wannabe nerds/geeks are hypocrites themselves. How can you call yourself a nerd when you make fun of those kinds people who enjoy going to conventions like Comic con, E3, etc., playing games like World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft, entering in tournaments for Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, etc., loves reading comic books & manga and novels such as science fiction, fantasy, Action/Adventure, etc. and having a collection of it, taking part in cosplay and/or live action role playing game (or LARP), collecting trading cards, toys, etc., playing video games and collecting them, watch movies & shows like Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galctica, The X-Files, Stargate, and monster movies (old and new) all the time and has perfect knowledge of it all, playing role playing games & board games like Dungeons and Dragons and anything from the Board Game/RPG thread on this forum, etc. and call them "losers" and they should "get a life"?

And yes, I am fully aware that people (who in this case would fit in the description of the terms nerd and geek and other terms) don't really do most of these things, but I am just pointing things out.

Also, I am not really sure if I added a few things that would make someone get called a nerd by others, but whatever. There is my little "rant".

Last edited by Metalfuckingrules on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm 

Who the hell is a nerd nowadays? All aspects of nerddom have been integrated into mainstream culture and have become big industries. Comics, IT, anime, videogames, fantasy/scifi, whatever... is there something left I'm forgetting? If I were to pick one defining aspect of what's "traditionally" called a Nerd it's being a social "outcast" because of your interest.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:19 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Who the hell is a nerd nowadays? All aspects of nerddom have been integrated into mainstream culture and have become big industries. Comics, IT, anime, videogames, fantasy/scifi, whatever... is there something left I'm forgetting? If I were to pick one defining aspect of what's "traditionally" called a Nerd it's being a social "outcast" because of your interest.

there is a lot niche shit among these things that are hardly accepted in the mainstream

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:30 pm 

LIKE WARHAMMER 40K, SUCK IT NERDS.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:30 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Board games that are more complicated than Monopoly, building/fixing/tinkering with electronics, ham radio, astronomy, and Vampire: The Masquerade.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 pm 

Vampire! Dat game was so fun. Glitchy as all get-out, and a little wonky, but sooooo fun.

Ham radio is really neat, but I'm into it mostly because I like field recordings and strange sounds, and nothing is cooler than listening in on some number stations! Very freaky stuff! Of course, many of the things no longer run, but the ones that do are cool.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Det_Morkettall wrote:

Dude, get stoked cuz you're moving to one of the best current scenes in the US. Lots of rad bands and rad folks. I've got a lot of good friends there from over the years. I'd highly recommend looking into Coffin Dust, Infernal Stronghold, Casket, Backslider, Angelcrust, Woe, and Vektor. There's more good stuff like Backslider there too if you're into fastcore/grind etc.

Cool! This is great news, as I'll be close to the Philadelphia area and would be interested in booking bands. Also, Spewtilator's still got tapes in my distro; maybe I can finally sell them off there! Up here in Toronto booking is near useless as no one really cares for the underground ehavy metal scene; most of the focus is on hip and trendy bands.

As per other music scenes, hows the hard rock scene in the outlying areas, if you know?

And Antoine, I'm mainly moving cause I would like to finally join my girlfriend in permanent residence down there. That and I have a strong feeling that booking will yield better results down there. Canada is stagnating and Harper is making me feel uncomfortable.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:33 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Vampire! Dat game was so fun. Glitchy as all get-out, and a little wonky, but sooooo fun.

Did you install the unofficial patch? It's been out for years and there's still constant updates. They restore a lot of lost content, too.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 am 

inhumanist wrote:

You can narrow out the false nerds by asking them if TOS or TNG is better. It's weird how pretending to be a nerd is cool now, I don't quite understand it.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:15 am 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
"losers" and they should "get a life"?

That phrase never made sense to me. What is a "life" as defined by people who say get a life? It seems like if you have a hobby that you enjoy then you have no life, and if you don't have any hobby/interest then you do have a life...? Makes no sense.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:34 am 

TheOldOne wrote:
Calusari wrote:
socially conservative libertarians,

The fuck? Do you even Libertarianism? An old school Conservative is not a Libertarian. Christ.

Not talking about old-school, 'capital-C' Conservatives here; I was referring to a socially conservative stance, especially when it comes to same-sex marriage/adoption rights and reproductive freedoms (abortion, etc). I'm aware that not all (these days, not even most) libertarians also hold socially conservative attitudes toward those issues. One of the many, many ways of categorising political views used to be according to 2 axes - libertarian/authoritarian and socially conservative/progressive, with all sorts of possible combinations (so you could just as easily have progressive libertarians and authoritarian progressives). Naturally, any taxonomy like that massively oversimplifies real-life circumstances and the vastly diverse views people hold. So, yeah, my point there was that the UKIP appeared to me - judging by the manifestos available on their website - to be socially conservative libertarians (I could be wrong about that, of course).

iAm wrote:
You can narrow out the false nerds by asking them if TOS or TNG is better. It's weird how pretending to be a nerd is cool now, I don't quite understand it.

:lol: Nice. I have found that people will generally nod in agreement when you rave about graphic novels/comics (not so much a thing anymore, it seems) or gaming, but when you refer to yourself as a passionate Star Trek fan, there's a bit of awkward shuffling; even if they agree at first (by virtue of the recent movie), once you start comparing captains, you've lost 'em. For the record, TNG/Picard for me any day.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:43 am 

Crane collapse in Sydney. Australia ftw.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:52 am 

Same company responsible for the crane that collapsed in New York during Superstorm Sandy, apparently. Yep. A proud day.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 am 

Calusari wrote:
So, yeah, my point there was that the UKIP appeared to me - judging by the manifestos available on their website - to be socially conservative libertarians (I could be wrong about that, of course).

All that matters to me is they're the only party talking sense at the moment, when so many over the last few decades have sold us down the river. EU social engineering has got to stop. I believe their aim (EU) is that no one group of people could hold a clear majority to effectively ever challenge their countries inclusion in a superstate.

Nigel Farage asking EU bosses who the hell do they think they are?,

http://www.youtube.com/v/2gm9q8uabTs

The children in the UKIP foster row have been split up
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... moved.html

Morrigan wrote:
lol wat... yeah, Calusari, how dare you get some sleep instead of arguing with morons on the Internet! Next you'll tell me you have to go eat, too? :rolleyes:

I'm no moron Morrigan, to bring to light and question what is going on around me.
I would consider myself a moron if I didn't.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 am 

You're not a true nerd until you buy a body pillow at an anime convention and walk around with it like it ain't no thang.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 am 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

Cool! This is great news, as I'll be close to the Philadelphia area and would be interested in booking bands. Also, Spewtilator's still got tapes in my distro; maybe I can finally sell them off there! Up here in Toronto booking is near useless as no one really cares for the underground ehavy metal scene; most of the focus is on hip and trendy bands.

As per other music scenes, hows the hard rock scene in the outlying areas, if you know?

Haha good luck getting rid of the spew tapes but if there was anywhere you'd have luck outside of Atlanta it'd be Philly without a doubt. You'll definitely have better luck booking stuff there, especially since any touring band doing the east coast is likely to pass through.

Not well versed in hard rock up there but a buddy of mine plays in a band you might dig called On Top (if you're into that kinda stuff) that's based in/around Philly. They play out pretty consistently so I'd imagine there's some sort of scene up there that they're a part of.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:31 am 

RageW wrote:
You're not a true nerd until you buy a body pillow at an anime convention and walk around with it like it ain't no thang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4gTslz4RZ4

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:40 am 

Hey guys. I don't think this is thread worthy, so here I am. I know some members in this forum are well versed in several languages, so I'd like your input. Anyone know any strong Latin-Spanish or Latin-English (and vice versa, of course) dictionaries? I'm thinking of getting one. Also, a Portuguese-Spanish dictionary would be nice as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:45 am 

Calusari wrote:
For the record, TNG/Picard for me any day.

:getout:

Captain Pike is easily the best captain although unfortunately only appears in the pilot and two part episode The Menagerie. He does appear in a couple other episodes only briefly.

That line at the end of the pilot episode
"They tried to fix me up but they had never seen a human before"
So boss.

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
I can definitely agree with this guy in the video.

Oh man, all those feels. I wish I could sit down every girl I see post on Facebook 'OH MY GOD I'M SUCH A NERD I JUST WENT TO SEE THE NEW HARRY POTTER FILM WITH MY FRIENDS' and force them to watch this.
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:09 pm 

Yes, nerd implies being an outcast to a degree due to dedication to something. Watching the currently most popular movie is hardly nerdy.

I've been called a nerd for using the console command 'qqq' to exit the game, rather than exiting through the menus. :???:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:19 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Hey guys. I don't think this is thread worthy, so here I am. I know some members in this forum are well versed in several languages, so I'd like your input. Anyone know any strong Latin-Spanish or Latin-English (and vice versa, of course) dictionaries? I'm thinking of getting one. Also, a Portuguese-Spanish dictionary would be nice as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This one is a standard for beginners/intermediate students of Latin. I used it throughout high school and it won't break the bank. That being said, it's the most straightforward and succinctly compiled dictionary you can get for the money. If you're looking for something that assumes you have a little more knowledge, try This one However, it is hardcover, so it may be a chore to carry around! But these are both excellent and cheap dictionaries.

I can't say much about Spanish to Latin though, so sorry man :[

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:24 pm 

Few weeks back, I had posted a video of a robot drumming in this thread. Now here's a video of the bass being played mechanically by this weird contraption.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UYMnzXQEtw

I feel that piece of machinery will (can) definitely be scaled down to the normal bass in the future.
Your thoughts? A complete robot band in the future likely? :s

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:30 pm 

A couple of videos of covers Demontage did at a Halloween show this year...too bad we didn't get a soundboard recording, but I'm putting these up here just for the hell of it...

Samael's "Morbid Metal"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK7ZeSJN5dk

Sigh's "At my Funeral"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu-qv7klL_Y

Regarding "being nerdy", I always thought what defined a nerd wasn't particular occupations, but how much time and effort you spent on said occupations. Watching Star Trek doesn't make you a nerd -- having a catallogue of races and ship designations in your head and knowing all the episode titles and what seasons they fall into...that makes you a nerd.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 695, 696, 697, 698, 699, 700, 701 ... 827  Next