Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19052
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:18 am 
 

Zelkiro wrote:
Life of Pi - 5/5

I was so afraid that Ang Lee would find a way to ruin one of my favorite books of all time. I was afraid that Pi's life in India would be all but erased. I was afraid that the zebra, orangutan, and hyena would be omitted from the story. I was afraid that many other things would never be included. All my fears were for nothing. This is my nomination for the best movie of 2012. Very few events from the book were cut, and those that were cut were minor scenes that at least get hinted at (Pi figuring out how to get fresh water, building his raft, fishing, etc.). Sadly, I didn't get to see it in 3D because I'm a poor son of a bitch, but every source I've read says the 3D is probably the best around (nothin's gonna ever keep it down). But even in 2D, this movie was fucking gorgeous.

Go see it now. And then go get the book. You plebeians.


It's by the guy who made the 2003 Hulk movie and the trailers look incredibly ridiculous...maybe I need to read the book to get it.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Fright Night 1985

Top
 Profile  
waiguoren
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 2176
Location: Make a kiss to her
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:37 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
It's by the guy who made the 2003 Hulk movie and the trailers look incredibly ridiculous...maybe I need to read the book to get it.


Good luck with that. That book made me want to shoot myself in the head. Honestly, how exciting can a movie about some snotty kid stuck on a raft with a snotty tiger be?
_________________
I am a Chinese lady with a pair of big water eyes under the long eyelashes.I don't know how beautiful i am , but people usually say that I needn't do face-painting.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2013
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:48 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
It's by the guy who made the 2003 Hulk movie and the trailers look incredibly ridiculous...maybe I need to read the book to get it.

I thought you liked The Dark Knight?

@Necro and Meta: SOON (on both)
_________________
The Zone takes care of its own.

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:34 am 
 

darkeningday wrote:
Jesus Christ, not another MovieBlob fan :ugh: .


I wouldn't exactly call myself a fan. Like I said, I've disagreed with him on nearly every single movie. He's an objectively intelligent and down-to-earth critic, however, and that cannot be denied. So I find his reviews highly entertaining to watch.
_________________
LegendMaker on pointless genre dissection wrote:
Will you in turn help me classify the shemale/ladyboy, tranny/ladyboy, ladyboy-shemale/tranny, and tranny-ladyboy/shemale sub-folders of my shemale/ladyboy/tranny collection?

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4048
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:16 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Zelkiro wrote:
Life of Pi - 5/5

I was so afraid that Ang Lee would find a way to ruin one of my favorite books of all time. I was afraid that Pi's life in India would be all but erased. I was afraid that the zebra, orangutan, and hyena would be omitted from the story. I was afraid that many other things would never be included. All my fears were for nothing. This is my nomination for the best movie of 2012. Very few events from the book were cut, and those that were cut were minor scenes that at least get hinted at (Pi figuring out how to get fresh water, building his raft, fishing, etc.). Sadly, I didn't get to see it in 3D because I'm a poor son of a bitch, but every source I've read says the 3D is probably the best around (nothin's gonna ever keep it down). But even in 2D, this movie was fucking gorgeous.

Go see it now. And then go get the book. You plebeians.


It's by the guy who made the 2003 Hulk movie and the trailers look incredibly ridiculous...maybe I need to read the book to get it.

He also made Sense & Sensibility and The Ice Storm. And also, for those who liked it, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2013
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:21 am 
 

Not to mention the absolutely brilliant Lust, Caution, one of the best huge-budget movies I've seen this millennium.
_________________
The Zone takes care of its own.

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2128
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:10 am 
 

So I finally watched Prometheus. Beautifully shot film. Very gorgeous-looking. Incredibly dumb characters. Very badly-written script. The intro basically spoiled the whole thing. This movie makes so little sense, that even the fans' attempts at filling the Swiss cheese plot with their own explanations and propositions fail embarassingly. All of them. Yet at the same time, if there's a movie that's in desperate need of a sequel, this is the one. There must be a sequel, because otherwise, what the fuck? Also, please ditch the current writers.

Spoiler: show
_So where are we? Who the fuck are you guys?
_You're in space, 800 trillion miles from home, because there's a planet here which I believe has gods.
_Fuck off and just gimme some rocks, OK?


_Hey Charlize, do you have a dick?
_My room, 10 minutes.
_YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA


Whoa dude, it's a dead alien! I have to get the fuck out of here!

Hey you're the guy who mapped this shit. Oh, you're lost huh? I had no idea. Well according to my map here, there's an alien lifeform west of you, you should totally go check it out dawg.

Whoa dude, there's a live alien west of us! We have to get the fuck out of here! I know, let's go back to the chamber with the oozing shit of death!

Whoa dude, it's a live alien dick! I MUST STROKE IT

Whoa dude, it's threatening me! Hold on, I got thi- FUCK I DIDN'T SEE IT COMING


[no contaminant present] But the dead alien head is showing some kind of visible cellular activity! Quick, fuck it with a needle and make it talk!


This surgery module is the most hyper-advanced piece of medical equipment humanity has ever made. MEN ONLY.


Holy shit, a contorted human body made its way back to the ship. LET'S KICK IT


Motherfuckers created us and now they want to kill us? Guess I'll have to pay them a visit and hope that I'll survive the trip without food and a place to sleep amidst all this alien death shit, instead of GOING BACK AND WARNING HUMANITY.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19052
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:07 am 
 

Yeah, I know Ang Lee has done other stuff. But all I know him from is that Hulk movie. :lol: Not exactly a stunning reference point...
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Fright Night 1985

Top
 Profile  
waiguoren
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 2176
Location: Make a kiss to her
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:08 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah, I know Ang Lee has done other stuff. But all I know him from is that Hulk movie. :lol: Not exactly a stunning reference point...


You've never seen Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or the dastardly Brokeback Mountain??? Anyway, that 'trilogy' of sorts he did when he was still just a measly Taiwanese director was quite good, I enjoyed Eat Drink Man Woman. His early work is decent enough, maybe a little 'arty', but very different from what he would later do in Hollywood.
_________________
I am a Chinese lady with a pair of big water eyes under the long eyelashes.I don't know how beautiful i am , but people usually say that I needn't do face-painting.

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:26 pm 
 

kingnuuuur wrote:
So I finally watched Prometheus. Beautifully shot film. Very gorgeous-looking. Incredibly dumb characters. Very badly-written script. The intro basically spoiled the whole thing. This movie makes so little sense, that even the fans' attempts at filling the Swiss cheese plot with their own explanations and propositions fail embarassingly. All of them. Yet at the same time, if there's a movie that's in desperate need of a sequel, this is the one. There must be a sequel, because otherwise, what the fuck? Also, please ditch the current writers.

Spoiler: show
_So where are we? Who the fuck are you guys?
_You're in space, 800 trillion miles from home, because there's a planet here which I believe has gods.
_Fuck off and just gimme some rocks, OK?


_Hey Charlize, do you have a dick?
_My room, 10 minutes.
_YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA


Whoa dude, it's a dead alien! I have to get the fuck out of here!

Hey you're the guy who mapped this shit. Oh, you're lost huh? I had no idea. Well according to my map here, there's an alien lifeform west of you, you should totally go check it out dawg.

Whoa dude, there's a live alien west of us! We have to get the fuck out of here! I know, let's go back to the chamber with the oozing shit of death!

Whoa dude, it's a live alien dick! I MUST STROKE IT

Whoa dude, it's threatening me! Hold on, I got thi- FUCK I DIDN'T SEE IT COMING


[no contaminant present] But the dead alien head is showing some kind of visible cellular activity! Quick, fuck it with a needle and make it talk!


This surgery module is the most hyper-advanced piece of medical equipment humanity has ever made. MEN ONLY.


Holy shit, a contorted human body made its way back to the ship. LET'S KICK IT


Motherfuckers created us and now they want to kill us? Guess I'll have to pay them a visit and hope that I'll survive the trip without food and a place to sleep amidst all this alien death shit, instead of GOING BACK AND WARNING HUMANITY.


The sequel will raise more questions than it answers, guaranteed. I'm not even interested in the answers at this point.
_________________
LegendMaker on pointless genre dissection wrote:
Will you in turn help me classify the shemale/ladyboy, tranny/ladyboy, ladyboy-shemale/tranny, and tranny-ladyboy/shemale sub-folders of my shemale/ladyboy/tranny collection?

Top
 Profile  
arketah
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:47 am
Posts: 5
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:10 am 
 

Notepad old bur my favorite of all romantic movies. I watched this at my home late night. I enjoyed this movie a lot.

4.5/5.
_________________
Cd Printing

Top
 Profile  
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:17 pm
Posts: 1990
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:21 am 
 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Yet at the same time, if there's a movie that's in desperate need of a sequel, this is the one. There must be a sequel, because otherwise, what the fuck?


Please. Who gives a shit what bunch of bullshit some other team of writers comes up with?

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2013
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:28 am 
 

Life of Pi proved to be about as objectively good as it possibly could have been, so expect Empyreal to hate it.
_________________
The Zone takes care of its own.

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2128
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:04 am 
 

MacMoney wrote:
Please. Who gives a shit what bunch of bullshit some other team of writers comes up with?

In retrospect, probably not a good idea. I love the Alien universe. Seeing as the events in Prometheus don't connect in any way with any of the Alien movies, I think I can live without a sequel and pretend that Prometheus never happened. It's easy to do at this point.

If there will be a sequel though, it will most likely be asking about who created the Engineers, and who created those who creat... ALIEN JESUS. Yeah, not looking forward to any such implications.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2013
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:11 am 
 

The sequel was confirmed ages ago. Not that I'll bother with it, of course...
_________________
The Zone takes care of its own.

Top
 Profile  
I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:11 pm
Posts: 1673
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:03 am 
 

Of course.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/I_am_Vengeance

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2128
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 pm 
 

Check out Prometheus's original script.

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5386
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:03 am 
 

Well I got around to seeing Skyfall. It's pretty much only good for the intro sequence, which is cool as, then a pretty good start until you actually meet the main villain, after that it gets stupid as hell. You've got a Dark Knight level clusterfuck of "That was all a plan!" bullshit writing, to the point of Silver planning to drop a fucking train on his pursuer at a specific time and a specific, completely out of the way location using a bomb he planted months beforehand. Then you've got the new Q, who is one of the worst character's ever created, he's young, he's hip and he can hack magic, the hacking on here is so bad it seriously shows hacking as a goddamn GUI video game, like that 80's movie. Then you've got the dumbassed conclusion, where the bad guy just goes weird as hell, who despite always wanting to kill M, suddenly has to have some kind of murder suicide gesture despite trying to shoot her right in face 24 hours before, and damn how stupid do the heroes have to be to walk using torches while being within viewing range of the building the bad guys are actively shooting at after escaping the scene safely through a hidden tunnel the bad guys don't even know exists, and just blew up the only entrance too, so they would NEVER know they used it. In fact the whole genesis of the film suddenly sucking is triggered by Bond getting himself captured for no reason at all (and getting his current vagina deadened the process), after he'd snuck onto a boat without detection, and was on his way to the bad guys island where he could have gone completely secretly and not gotten captured as his first plan.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4048
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:22 pm 
 

My opinion on Life of Pi is now law. I will enforce it with an iron fist.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4944
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:10 am 
 

I agree with everything lord-ghengis said. He pretty much summed up a lot of the things that annoyed me about the movie.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2013
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:05 am 
 

^Same.

All hail lord_ghengis!
_________________
The Zone takes care of its own.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4944
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 am 
 

Hahaha, Empyreal reviewed The Number 23. Even his review can't even begin to scratch the surface of how terribly shitty that movie is. It's the worst movie I've ever seen, and I'm saying that without even slightly hyperboling. I mean, Topsy Kretts? GOD DAMN IT MOVIE! TOPSY KRETTS!? That is the only time I actually facepalmed from a movie.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19052
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:57 am 
 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Hahaha, Empyreal reviewed The Number 23. Even his review can't even begin to scratch the surface of how terribly shitty that movie is. It's the worst movie I've ever seen, and I'm saying that without even slightly hyperboling. I mean, Topsy Kretts? GOD DAMN IT MOVIE! TOPSY KRETTS!? That is the only time I actually facepalmed from a movie.


It was like watching a clown dance around with a sign saying 'LOOK AT HOW STUPID I AM! LOOK AT HOW STUPID I AM!' It was so bad it was hilarious at times. But mostly just embarrassing in how seriously it took itself.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Fright Night 1985

Top
 Profile  
VoidApostle
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:00 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Within The Vacuum of Infinity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:02 pm 
 

Just gonna drop this here.

Hands down the stupidest movie I've ever seen. I don't know whether I want to high-five the person responsible for this masterpiece or punch him in the ear.

Spoiler: show
The vacuum gets her pregnant. Their offspring? A Cabbage Patch Kid's head and limbs attached to a hand-held vacuum...

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9637
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:26 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
Hahaha, Empyreal reviewed The Number 23. Even his review can't even begin to scratch the surface of how terribly shitty that movie is. It's the worst movie I've ever seen, and I'm saying that without even slightly hyperboling. I mean, Topsy Kretts? GOD DAMN IT MOVIE! TOPSY KRETTS!? That is the only time I actually facepalmed from a movie.

It was like watching a clown dance around with a sign saying 'LOOK AT HOW STUPID I AM! LOOK AT HOW STUPID I AM!' It was so bad it was hilarious at times. But mostly just embarrassing in how seriously it took itself.

Oh my god, that movie was so bad it was almost hilarious. I rented it at random with a friend of mine years ago and we had no idea what was in store for us. After a while we both got fed up with trying to take it seriously and started riffing over it; if you remember, at one point Carrey's character says "what is 23?" and then pauses and looks up at a stained-glass window. I thought of the stupidest thing I could think of, and blurted out "is it god?" only for the character himself to say that exact line a split-second later. Shame on me for thinking I could come up with something dumber than the movie could.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Varth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 117
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:53 pm 
 

I never saw 23, but what the fuck is wrong with The Candyman? Why you downing The Candyman?

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19052
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:41 pm 
 

Because it is a vile, mean spirited, ugly mess of a movie with no imagination. People are fooled by the cool setting and the dingey atmosphere, but really after the first 20 minutes it just repeats itself over and over with little imagination and no taste at all. Total shit.

I started watching The Number 23 at around 1 AM and I turned it off about three minutes in when Carrey started making his soliloquies while chasing that stupid dog around, in between scenes of him flirting at parties or something. It was just too much randomness at the time...luckily I got through the whole thing the next morning OK. :lol:
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Fright Night 1985

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 4861
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 pm 
 

failsafeman wrote:
Oh my god, that movie was so bad it was almost hilarious. I rented it at random with a friend of mine years ago and we had no idea what was in store for us. After a while we both got fed up with trying to take it seriously and started riffing over it; if you remember, at one point Carrey's character says "what is 23?" and then pauses and looks up at a stained-glass window. I thought of the stupidest thing I could think of, and blurted out "is it god?" only for the character himself to say that exact line a split-second later. Shame on me for thinking I could come up with something dumber than the movie could.


That's hilarious!

I saw the movie when it came out and in all honesty I can't remember a single thing about it. Absolutely no memory of it comes to mind when I try to think of it. I guess that says something.

Top
 Profile  
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:17 pm
Posts: 1990
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:23 am 
 

Scaramouche: A swashbuckler flick from the 50s about the French revolution, theater... And a bunch of other hogwash. I'm not sure how much old films like this should be forgiven for their light-hearted approach on... Well, a lot of things: Sexism very much, but also the one-sided take on the French revolution, killing in general. Also: Incest is a funny thing. The hero falls in love with a woman (at first sight), a minute later finds out she is his sister. He still loves him (like a man loves a woman, not like a sister though being such an old film, the carnality is very much put aside) but of course rejects her advances (she is unaware). By the end, he discovers that they're not siblings after all so it's all okay! Perhaps I'm being too critical and watching it with too much of a modern point of view, but it feels very dated.

Top
 Profile  
volutetheswarth
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 pm
Posts: 1350
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:03 am 
 

It wasn't that bad of a movie. I think some of you are exaggerating just a tad. If you're going into it expecting a mind bending film then you'll surely think it sucks but if you treat it like it is, which is a slightly interesting/ standard twist affair in the vein of M. Night Shyamalan or an average Twilight Zone episode, it's no worse than Basic or Secret Window. Even then it's not a good movie but it's certainly not a laugh riot, it's a film that had potential but for many reasons failed to break the mold or surprise in a good way.

Top
 Profile  
sortalikeadream
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:34 am
Posts: 1555
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 am 
 

Image

This 1969 French film mixes romance and junky drama together, with fantastic results. Some here might find it worth checking out solely for the soundtrack, which includes lots of proto-punk and experimental music of the time. I unfortunately watched it dubbed--I'm sure it would have been even more impressive with the native audio and subtitles. Highly recommended to those who enjoyed Candy (Heath Ledger Romance/Junky Drama).
_________________
John_Sunlight wrote:
Also to the guy who won't check out something amateurish: how are you into metal??

Top
 Profile  
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:17 pm
Posts: 1990
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:09 am 
 

Your image link doesn't work. This - and the fact that a lot of people use the internet at work and hence surf without images - is why , instead of relying on images or YouTube links to name your song/artist/video/film/whatever, you should type out the title of whatever you are talking about.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19052
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:10 am 
 

Quote:
It wasn't that bad of a movie. I think some of you are exaggerating just a tad. If you're going into it expecting a mind bending film then you'll surely think it sucks but if you treat it like it is, which is a slightly interesting/ standard twist affair in the vein of M. Night Shyamalan or an average Twilight Zone episode, it's no worse than Basic or Secret Window. Even then it's not a good movie but it's certainly not a laugh riot, it's a film that had potential but for many reasons failed to break the mold or surprise in a good way.


Basic was actually a kick ass thriller, despite the silly twists at the end. The Number 23 just sucks. It's poorly written and riddled with so many plot holes there's barely a coherent thread at all anymore...yeah, I dunno, I wouldn't consider M. Night Shyamalan to be a good reference point either though.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Fright Night 1985

Top
 Profile  
sortalikeadream
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:34 am
Posts: 1555
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 am 
 

Dangi5. The film is called More.
_________________
John_Sunlight wrote:
Also to the guy who won't check out something amateurish: how are you into metal??

Top
 Profile  
volutetheswarth
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 pm
Posts: 1350
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:30 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Basic was actually a kick ass thriller, despite the silly twists at the end. The Number 23 just sucks. It's poorly written and riddled with so many plot holes there's barely a coherent thread at all anymore...yeah, I dunno, I wouldn't consider M. Night Shyamalan to be a good reference point either though.

Yeah I don't remember much of Basic apart from the ending, which was so ludicrous that it completely destroyed the movie for me. If the final act of a film is weak I usually come away not caring for it. Which is probably why I don't remember much of The Number 23, nothing stuck but I don't recall hating it.
My point about M. Night Shyamalan is that his movies are akin to an okay episode of Twilight Zone. They are good ideas but the execution suffers in certain sections so you can't flat out call it excellent. Although I find Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense to be very good, and to certain extent The Village, the majority of his movies are lacklustre.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5337
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:38 pm 
 

The Village is one of the first movies I ever found myself going to extreme lengths to explain why it was as shitty as it was. I usually blame Yahtzee or Ultraboris as the reason I started reviewing, but I think my seething rage for how awful and convoluted and shitty and predictable and inconsistent and lazy and poorly thought out and... gaaaaaaaaAAAAAAH that movie was wretched.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19052
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 pm 
 

People always say Unbreakable is a good movie. I haven't seen it...but I've seen The Sixth Sense which I didn't like much, and everything else I've seen has been crap - Signs, The Happening, The Last Airbender. Shitty director.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Fright Night 1985

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5337
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:36 pm 
 

Unbreakable is really polarizing. I'm not sure how I feel about it, it wasn't outright shit like Signs or The Village (I haven't seen anything past that because he was pretty firmly in the "worst name director" category by that point), but it wasn't anything special either. It was really slow moving and convoluted with a few preposterously and unforgivably large plot holes, so I guess I didn't like it.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain

Top
 Profile  
volutetheswarth
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 pm
Posts: 1350
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:07 am 
 

When it came out in cinemas everyone dismissed The Village based solely on the ending. I admit it would have been cool
Spoiler: show
if they really were beastly creatures, and the last shot was something similar to the river of Styx or the City of Dis from Dante's Inferno.
That's the ending I would have preferred, but the actual ending is plausible and works despite everyone getting their panties in a bunch over Mr. Popular at the time not living up to the hype.

Empyreal wrote:
People always say Unbreakable is a good movie.

Everyone says it because it genuinely is a good movie. The only area that I see anyone attacking is the long drawn out scenes, but that's really his style and it builds tension. It's hardly something to get irritated by (unless you're the Michael Bay type that's needs yelling and explosions every three minutes). Most of his movies hinge on the ending, so if the big reveal doesn't suit then of course they'll be a lot of dismissal and finger waving.

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5386
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:00 am 
 

You think that ending works? It makes the movie utterly pointless. The twist shouldn't be the ending of the film, a twist should say, "Shit that makes things different now doesn't it?" which would make the ending phase of the film go in wholly different way, M. Nights twists are 'ha, you didn't expect that did you!? I'm so great" then it ends. It doesn't even make you view the film in a totally different way, like say, Memento does (although that film doesn't hinge on the twist entirely, I'm merely using it as an example of a film that ENDS on the twist, which actually makes the entire film be viewed in a different way), it just goes, that was unexpected, and makes everything that occurred in the movie entirely uninteresting and unimportant.

And it's plausible? How is that a plausible outcome. No society would be that stupid.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369 ... 491  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BloodSacrificeShaman, Exabot [Bot], OneSizeFitzpatrick and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group