Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
According to wikipedia, there are 10 million Swedish speakers worldwide. There are 1.8 billion English speakers. You can make of the fact that you are replying to this in English rather than Swedish what you will. I'd chalk it up to the desire to be understood and not cop "Bjork Bjork Bjork" Swedish Chef jokes from the overwhelming majority of people who comprise your audience myself. All of which is beside the point - the original point being a humorous aside that everyone failed to see the humour in due to a failure to adhere to Evokens suggestions. Viz:

1. Pull stick out of ass
2. Enjoy newly found sense of humor
3. Laugh and make friends

I think everyone failed to see the humour in it because it wasn't funny. Backpedaling much? It was, however, a great demonstration of your own ignorance, and the sense of cultural imperialism many native English speakers seem to have. This just in: people outside Canada, the United States, and Great Britain (and indeed, even within those countries), do have their own languages, customs and cultures, and don't have to keep an English speaking audience in mind when they do things, because, oh no, an English speaker might think it looks like someone dropped some Scrabble tiles. Hur hur.

As to not derail the thread further, the album sounded decent after one listen. Will take a few more before I decide whether or not I like it, but it sounds good so far.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:13 am 

Btw, the album sounds awesome.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 am 

kapala wrote:
Scorntyrant wrote:
According to wikipedia, there are 10 million Swedish speakers worldwide. There are 1.8 billion English speakers. You can make of the fact that you are replying to this in English rather than Swedish what you will. I'd chalk it up to the desire to be understood and not cop "Bjork Bjork Bjork" Swedish Chef jokes from the overwhelming majority of people who comprise your audience myself. All of which is beside the point - the original point being a humorous aside that everyone failed to see the humour in due to a failure to adhere to Evokens suggestions. Viz:

1. Pull stick out of ass
2. Enjoy newly found sense of humor
3. Laugh and make friends

I think everyone failed to see the humour in it because it wasn't funny. Backpedaling much? It was, however, a great demonstration of your own ignorance, and the sense of cultural imperialism many native English speakers seem to have. This just in: people outside Canada, the United States, and Great Britain (and indeed, even within those countries), do have their own languages, customs and cultures, and don't have to keep an English speaking audience in mind when they do things, because, oh no, an English speaker might think it looks like someone dropped some Scrabble tiles. Hur hur.

As to not derail the thread further, the album sounded decent after one listen. Will take a few more before I decide whether or not I like it, but it sounds good so far.

Seeing as how you want to insist on having the last word here, I could just as easily say that the trend for half assed nature metal and 3-rd hand crypto fascist statements about culture and customs are a symptom of "cultural tourism" on the behalf of the very English-speakers you're taking a shot at now. It was tiresome and worn out by the late 90's, and just speaks to the desire of dislocated suburbanites to appropriate the culture of some imagined volkish ur-culture which owes more to 18th century Romantisism than any lived experience now or then. You might see it as some statement about your own culture, but the people who are buying it are in search of some kind of exotica. By all means, have a shot at them, but dont doubt for a second that the whole folk-metal movement has a consumer base much more sophisticated than the kind of people who listened to Gamelan records in their backyard tiki-bars in the 60's. It's complete hypocrisy to claim, as you do, that re-packaging a kind of disneyland pagan outlook and selling it through the medium of pop music to the "cultural imperialists" of the English speaking world reflects some kind of authentic folk culture.

As the saying goes, "fuck you if you cant take a joke". But dont try and claim I'm somehow ignorant of the issues involved.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 am 

Scorn: the 'joke' was so obvious that it wasn't funny.

Just saying; about native speaker languages, English goes 3rd, after Chinese and Spanish. The chance of people seeing the band's name and not getting the joke at all it's fairly high (in an everyday situation), but since this forum is english based, I guess it's necessary a certain level on the language to be able to express ourselves and understand the others (my english it's bad I think) so a good portion of the people here should be able to get it, but again, it wasn't funny.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:05 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:

Seeing as how you want to insist on having the last word here, I could just as easily say that the trend for half assed nature metal and 3-rd hand crypto fascist statements about culture and customs are a symptom of "cultural tourism" on the behalf of the very English-speakers you're taking a shot at now. It was tiresome and worn out by the late 90's, and just speaks to the desire of dislocated suburbanites to appropriate the culture of some imagined volkish ur-culture which owes more to 18th century Romantisism than any lived experience now or then. You might see it as some statement about your own culture, but the people who are buying it are in search of some kind of exotica. By all means, have a shot at them, but dont doubt for a second that the whole folk-metal movement has a consumer base much more sophisticated than the kind of people who listened to Gamelan records in their backyard tiki-bars in the 60's. It's complete hypocrisy to claim, as you do, that re-packaging a kind of disneyland pagan outlook and selling it through the medium of pop music to the "cultural imperialists" of the English speaking world reflects some kind of authentic folk culture.

As the saying goes, "fuck you if you cant take a joke". But dont try and claim I'm somehow ignorant of the issues involved.

:lol:

Ah, the insane, half-witted ramblings of a tin-foil hat wearing troglodyte. You're digging yourself a mighty fine hole there, friend.
I'm not sure where I "claimed" any of what you said, other than point out you're an idiot, and your "joke" was equally stupid. But keep at it. Really. Its hilarious.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:58 am 

O - k - a - y.

Very good album, similar to what i was expecting but exceeding it by far.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:06 am 

Can anyone here read Romanian? I would like to know what the songs are about. Usually I just run the lyric's through a translator, but I'm having a real hard time trying to read the cursive letters in the booklet. Also there is an accent mark I cant figure out how to type.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:50 am 

After more listenings I can only say that they album is brilliant, and it has some magnificient moments. I will buy it as soon as posible but in this case the normal digipack edition(with NBs last album I purchased the wooden box).

And Negura Bunget will soon release Tau, the first part of the Transilvanian trilogy, awesome news for this winter.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:16 am 

I like Dar De Duh quite a bit so far. I couldn't really make sense of it on first listen (and I'm a Negura Bunget fan), but the pieces start to fall together on repeated spins. The clean vocals are very nice. The folk stuff is great. I'm a little disappointed so far in the mix, because the guitars are kind of muted, but I will probably grow to accept that.

Tarabostes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 pm 

@The Animator, I can.

You won't have much luck with a translator even if you have the lyrics, I think, because they're written in an archaic form of romanian; generally, they are about romanian myths and beliefs, but in a more spiritual way (not monsters and stuff, but things related to ancient customs, rituals and even supernatural beings, just not in the dark/evil way). Overall, the album has a very contemplative theme...I didn't try to decypher the lyrics myself, I only know what I understood through listening and there seems to be a leitmotif of a supernatural being called "Bătrânul Zilelor" (The Old Man of Days). On which they call repeatedly for answers to questions about life, mortality, and the spirit.

This is probably easier to obtain, but the translation of the track names would be:
Lust for Thrones (Jind de tronuri),
The Fireweavers (Flăcărarii),
E-an-na (probably some sort of mantra or incantation),
The Way of the Burning Wheels (Calea Roţilor de Foc),
Forest Guardian (Pândarul - is an old romanian word for a person who guards a forest, an orchard or a crop field, but it has a more special meaning because it's derived from "Pândă" which means to stalk/watch from the shadows, so a literal translation would be "He who guards the forest from the shadows" ),
Zuh (I have no idea... might be a shortened version of "Zăduh" which in old romanian means something like scorching heat... this one was called "Zuh - cu tunetul munţilor" on the Valea Omului [The Valley of Man] EP, which translates to "Zuh - with the mountains' thunder"),
Cumpăt - the romanian dictionary explains this as "balanced soul, righteous judgement, self containment",
Rebuke (Dojană)

I can also translate the beginning of the clean part (until the distorted guitar steps in) of Cumpăt, which I can understand clearly:

"A spirit whafted on a light breeze
That exhales its pleasant odour all around"

Also, Dojană:

"From silence thought tore itself away
The wind raced broken
The wind raced broken when thought tore itself away from silence
So that the spoken word would break through the voice
And the chattering would begin
The mind would never be silent again

And through life [...] jumped
The Word rested
Overly confused
[...] of the bitter world
[...i can't understand this whole line]
So that it won't see or hear anymore
The Earth crumbled
The Word crumbled

You should let the thoughts in your head be silent
Let your mind ripen
Keep yourself upright
Unyielding in all
Unhindered in your doings

So that the new Word will strengthen
Anthem of righteous saying
May you offer this good word
That resounds gently in the wind
May you succeed to persist
May you forge goodwill."

I'm pretty sure some of them are wrong because besides the fact that they're difficult to hear, the language is also archaic and I don't really know what the meaning of some words in that context would be, or maybe there are some expressions that aren't used anymore (like that part about the broken wind).

Anyway, this is the best I can do, if I have some time one day I'll try to decypher the lyrics on the booklets and maybe translate some more.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:39 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
And Negura Bunget will soon release Tau, the first part of the Transilvanian trilogy, awesome news for this winter.

Amazing! Good news!

samekh wrote:
I like Dar De Duh quite a bit so far. I couldn't really make sense of it on first listen (and I'm a Negura Bunget fan), but the pieces start to fall together on repeated spins. The clean vocals are very nice. The folk stuff is great. I'm a little disappointed so far in the mix, because the guitars are kind of muted, but I will probably grow to accept that.

I should give this album more listening time.

The Animator wrote:
Can anyone here read Romanian? I would like to know what the songs are about. Usually I just run the lyric's through a translator, but I'm having a real hard time trying to read the cursive letters in the booklet. Also there is an accent mark I cant figure out how to type.

Tarabostes wrote:
@The Animator, I can.

Thanks to both of you, guys!

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:25 am 

Thanks Tarabostes, all I really had to go on was from a short video interview I watched, so your insight helps. It seems about what I expected.

Juniper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm 

Ohh thank you so much!
They already said they put a lot of effort in the translations, but that nothing was close enough yet.
Even though the music transmitts the message, I would now like to get to know the words that go along with it :)
Tarabostes wrote:
@The Animator, I can.

You won't have much luck with a translator even if you have the lyrics, I think, because they're written in an archaic form of romanian; generally, they are about romanian myths and beliefs, but in a more spiritual way (not monsters and stuff, but things related to ancient customs, rituals and even supernatural beings, just not in the dark/evil way). Overall, the album has a very contemplative theme...I didn't try to decypher the lyrics myself, I only know what I understood through listening and there seems to be a leitmotif of a supernatural being called "Bătrânul Zilelor" (The Old Man of Days). On which they call repeatedly for answers to questions about life, mortality, and the spirit.

This is probably easier to obtain, but the translation of the track names would be:
Lust for Thrones (Jind de tronuri),
The Fireweavers (Flăcărarii),
E-an-na (probably some sort of mantra or incantation),
The Way of the Burning Wheels (Calea Roţilor de Foc),
Forest Guardian (Pândarul - is an old romanian word for a person who guards a forest, an orchard or a crop field, but it has a more special meaning because it's derived from "Pândă" which means to stalk/watch from the shadows, so a literal translation would be "He who guards the forest from the shadows" ),
Zuh (I have no idea... might be a shortened version of "Zăduh" which in old romanian means something like scorching heat... this one was called "Zuh - cu tunetul munţilor" on the Valea Omului [The Valley of Man] EP, which translates to "Zuh - with the mountains' thunder"),
Cumpăt - the romanian dictionary explains this as "balanced soul, righteous judgement, self containment",
Rebuke (Dojană)

I can also translate the beginning of the clean part (until the distorted guitar steps in) of Cumpăt, which I can understand clearly:

"A spirit whafted on a light breeze
That exhales its pleasant odour all around"

Also, Dojană:

"From silence thought tore itself away
The wind raced broken
The wind raced broken when thought tore itself away from silence
So that the spoken word would break through the voice
And the chattering would begin
The mind would never be silent again

And through life [...] jumped
The Word rested
Overly confused
[...] of the bitter world
[...i can't understand this whole line]
So that it won't see or hear anymore
The Earth crumbled
The Word crumbled

You should let the thoughts in your head be silent
Let your mind ripen
Keep yourself upright
Unyielding in all
Unhindered in your doings

So that the new Word will strengthen
Anthem of righteous saying
May you offer this good word
That resounds gently in the wind
May you succeed to persist
May you forge goodwill."

I'm pretty sure some of them are wrong because besides the fact that they're difficult to hear, the language is also archaic and I don't really know what the meaning of some words in that context would be, or maybe there are some expressions that aren't used anymore (like that part about the broken wind).

Anyway, this is the best I can do, if I have some time one day I'll try to decypher the lyrics on the booklets and maybe translate some more.

Juniper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:27 pm 

By the way, my guess is that E-an-na is reffering to Ianna, a goddess of... have to google that.
And if it's not this goddes than at least it's something about Women :)) E an na...
I also think so because it's the only song where we hear a woman singing!

Maybe I'm completely wrong of course ;)

edit: http://inanna.virtualave.net/inannanew.html

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2