Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 pm 

The queue is really backed up right now. I slogged through about fifty earlier today and I plan on trying to clear it out when I get off work in two hours. There are really only three or four mods who spend a lot of time in the review queue, most others like to deal with reports or bands. I'll cut you some slack because you're new, but as a general rule of thumb it's best to just be patient. Asking the status of your review is harmless enough but it's very discouraged and can end with us looking at yours last as a result.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Lay of the Autumn94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:37 pm 

Ok, thanks for your reply. I now know that I have to be patient and will try to avoid asking about the state of my reviews.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:27 pm 

Arnold Hablewitz wrote:
Do you remember the last time where a band has put out six albums and every single album was better than all the albums before it? I mean, I can think of Death, and... that's it actually.

1) Iron Fucking Maiden, you plebian.
2) The review is for As I Lay Dying.

the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 pm 

I used to get some of mine accepted within 5 minutes if I was lucky. But now that I'm a super cool guy who can publish his own reviews...it actually kinda takes the fun out of the wait.

Lay of the Autumn94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 am 

When can you start posting your own reviews?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am 

Only a handful of people can, and it's a new feature. It's only for people who were hand selected after a long history of having consistently acceptable reviews. Emp here has had very few rejected (probably none, if I were to guess), and he's been doing this for years, so naturally he was in the first batch. It was to help take the load off us mods.

And before I was a mod, I've had some accepted within minutes, but I've also had to wait weeks. Shit happens.

Lay of the Autumn94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:41 am 

Yeah dude, I see you've been reading a lot of reviews in the last hour, so I guess it takes plenty of time. I just didn't know how things work in MA.
I would like to know what is the rate of accepted reviews out of everyone that is submitted to the queue.

Lay of the Autumn94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:54 am 

There are still lots of reviews out there that clearly seem exaggerated, but I guess you moderators have to respect different opinions as long as it's decently written. I read many reviews before becoming a user of the site and I'm almost sure that I can identify which users I can trust (autothrall is the first one that comes to mind).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:09 am 

Lay of the Autumn94 wrote:
Yeah dude, I see you've been reading a lot of reviews in the last hour, so I guess it takes plenty of time. I just didn't know how things work in MA.
I would like to know what is the rate of accepted reviews out of everyone that is submitted to the queue.

Are we currently under an interrogation from the IMRB (International Metal Reviews Bureau)? We don't calculate the rate of rejection, dude. It would be quite petty. Now, BastardHead needs to go to bed! Lurk and explore and all your questions are gonna get answered.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Lay of the Autumn94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:22 am 

Yeah, I'll let him sleep and continue with my IMRB thing...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 am 

Screw you, dad. I'll go to bed when I damn well please! I wear boxers now, I AM A MAN.

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:06 am 

Man BastardHead, that Overkill review of "Killing Kind" was entertaining, but it was painful cuz I really like that album and you tore it pretty good.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:24 pm 

To the guy who wrote the Hypocrisy review - http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/H ... 3/Kenosiar - learn to use PERIODS. What a butchered review. I get ESL, but who approved this?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:18 pm 

I don't think you need to ask who approved this. It wasn't me anyway and yeah, the grammar is not good enough.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:00 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
To the guy who wrote the Hypocrisy review - http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/H ... 3/Kenosiar - learn to use PERIODS. What a butchered review. I get ESL, but who approved this?

Clearly it was me. Honestly, I'm pretty sure this is the last one I looked at yesterday at the tail end of like 70 in a row, and was starting to feel the burnout, so I'll attribute the slip up to a not entirely fresh mind, but it's worth noting that I rejected a review by this same guy for having literally no commas at all. Everything short thought was a sentence. There were no connecting phrases. It was like this. Like a See Spot Run book. He emailed me asking what I meant by that when I rejected it but I haven't gotten around to answering him back yet.

Lay of the Autumn94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:38 pm 

I just saw my review approved, but I noticed it had some mistakes. I corrected them, so do I have to wait again until the whole queue clears again?

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:46 pm 

Nope, just until a moderator approves it. We can see that's been accepted already, so it usually isn't much of a wait.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Lay of the Autumn94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:55 pm 

You seem to like The Crown, really good band.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:56 pm 

Lay of the Autumn94 wrote:
You seem to like The Crown, really good band.

I do. They are one of my favorite bands and their "Eternal Death" album is one of my all-time favorites. Their last album was quite dull, though. :|

Obligatory Last FM Link

Lay of the Autumn94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:15 pm 

Can you give me your opinion about my first review, I really want to know in what aspects I can improve.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm 

Post it in the Review Feedback thread if you want tips on how to improve. We have some very helpful people in there.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 pm 

Have you ever wanted to read a review that spends as much time musing over whether the band is speed or thrash metal than talking about the music? Well here you go, this is a horribly written review that has a few thoughts about a band amidst aimless rambling about the genre and cover art.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/R ... onilosophy

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:02 am 

I haven't listened to the entire album, but it sounded like power/speed metal anyway, not thrash.

Shitty review, doesn't describe the riffing nearly enough, doesn't say a word about sounds/production (other than that the former name Gaywyre describes the overall sound better, heh heh, what a fucking douchebag) and seems unable to say anything besides that the music isn't particularly interesting to him.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:41 am 

FleshMonolith's review of Pig Destroyer's Book Burner does nothing but bash the album from all sides, but still gives it a 40%. Must've been something good in there!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:05 pm 

Would have preferred the new positive Shining review to talk more about guitars and such. Just vocals and atmosphere isn't enough!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Eazu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:05 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Would have preferred the new positive Shining review to talk more about guitars and such. Just vocals and atmosphere isn't enough!

Yeah, how could he not mention the awesome solos in "For the God Below"? He was listening to the last track on the album while reviewing it.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:58 pm 

I'm not defending the album here, it is rubbish, but at the time of writing this, all of Manowars The Lord of Steel reviews were written prior to the actual album launch. Thus, the reviewers were infact reviewing what is considered to be a preview of the album, rather than the officially released album. Would that not make the current reviews for the album invalid?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:45 am 

Terri23 wrote:
I'm not defending the album here, it is rubbish, but at the time of writing this, all of Manowars The Lord of Steel reviews were written prior to the actual album launch. Thus, the reviewers were infact reviewing what is considered to be a preview of the album, rather than the officially released album. Would that not make the current reviews for the album invalid?

No, because that digital edition was in fact an official release. The hard format version is just what they consider the retail version.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:30 am 

I'm drunk and I can't even remember if I saw it in this thread or another but I definitely agree with comments made about the new Shining release. Hard to imagine a review that doesn't at least MENTION the incredible guitar playing in the last track. And also, I echo the sentiments of those who wants to edit previous reviews. I haven't written a lot but I definitely feel a lot of my "older" reviews could be much better. I feel a lot better about my review of DsO's "Drought" than I do any other review I've submitted on here.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:31 pm 

I know that this will probably come off as me loving the album and this guy bashing it, and me talking about it because of that, but the latest review on Esoteric's Paragon Of Dissonance is horrible. I don't mean Oven Fodder material but the reasoning and the comparisons made are just... I don't know who could ever think that an Esoteric song would be fitting for airing on the radio, but then again he basically says that the album is "rock/metal".

Esoteric... a rock band... :violin:

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:59 pm 

I just read it and found it pretty odd myself. Kind of hard to follow his train of thought. It honestly reads like some troll post or something, some pompous gibberish that doesn't really make any good, sensible points. My head hurts.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:23 pm 

He didn't even go through the trouble of trying to understand what the hell the album title means, but then again there are so many wrong things with that review that I could as well mention it as a whole.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:32 pm 

Well, the 0% Carach Angren review was probably long overdue.

They had an outrageous rating of something like 96 % per 15 reviews for their last album ... it was a matter of time someone tore the album apart.

Too bad though that the reviewer did very little to substantiate his quick dismissal of the album. Sorry, but name calling like "Cradle Angren" or "Dimmu Angren" is a poor, outdated and childish at-best way of reviewing any piece of music.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:35 pm 

Yeah after heaps of +90% there was bound to be a negative, but a 0% is just for the sake of giving it something so negative against all the positives (looks like some early teen wrote it, too).

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:43 pm 

I'm going to say out loud that the album is horrible, and I mean really really bad. It would probably land a score below 40% in my book. It's basically a bad black metal version of Nightwish's DPP or Imaginaerum. Cheesy symphonic elements that reek of Pirates of the Caribbean. But I have to agree that the review does little to say why it is so bad it deserves a 0%.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:55 pm 

Yeah, I've never listened to the band, but that review is really stupid. Borderline troll review/written just to piss people off instead of delivering an informative opinion.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:40 pm 

I'll second the above posts and say that while that album really isn't good, his review of it is even worse. Petty, juvenile shit. However, part of me is glad to see it kicked off its ridiculously (and unjustly) high pedestal with that drop of a rating. It needs to be far lower in my opinion.

metalheadTCD
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:45 am 

His review was quite bad, though I thought the "You might as well buy a Harry Potter audiobook read by Shagrath" was a good jab.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:03 am 

Yeah, shame there's still no decently-written negative reviews for that pile of shit. I would consider trying my hand but I can't even finish listening to the album once through, much less attempt to write a review of it.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:16 am 

Did I just see Ildjarn referred to as hipster black metal? :ugh:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 520  Next