Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:08 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
Thiestru wrote:
That part in Darkthrone's 'In the Shadow of the Horns' when Nocturno Culto shouts, 'Nocturno Culto!' right before beginning the first verse. What the hell?

As was already pointed out, that's actually Fenriz (or might even be Zephyrous) and he is introducing Nocturno Culto as he comes in with the vocals right afterwards.

It's perfectly timed with the drum fill, too, and just sounds fantastic!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:51 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
“Back in the day”, as it were, I used to get a kick from casually putting this on in the background at a lower volume and watching my family and friends be slowly unnerved by it when they eventually realized the same 9 second sample was on in the background for 20 minutes or so.

You're a sick motherfucker! LOL!

quickbeam wrote:
What about the moment in track 3 of Ulver's 'Bergtatt' album, when there's suddenly a shot/bang sound much louder than the rest of that song? Just about makes me fall over when I hear that on headphones.

I mentioned this.

Thiestru wrote:
You're probably right. It seems like the kind of thing Fenriz would do for fun, and yeah, it makes me laugh every time. By the way, I approve of your screen name. Quickbeam never got the recognition he deserved in the Tolkien universe. =]

Obviously.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:57 pm 

Amon Amarth playing a SOAD cover

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:51 pm 

Two words: DARK MANTIS!!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:47 pm 

The intro of Dostulata by Die Apokalyptischen Reiter. Funny shit.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

jgarci12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 pm 

''Jack Daniels and Pizza'' anyone?

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:12 am 

I'll bring another one: I was listening to "The Final Separation" by Bulldozer when the track "Don Andras" kicked in.

Links to my online presence

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:34 am 

i don't have anything against sacrificed itself - it's quite catchy - but it just feels way out of place on the album, and when i first heard it, i stopped what i was doing to check that i was still listening to the same album (or band even)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:45 am 

So I just got Into Glory Ride in the mail yesterday and my first and only listen so far was pock-marked with a few moments that had me saying "What the fuck?"

Hatred. The chorus has a white-boy blues sort of breakdown, which inexplicably actually worked for me. I have no idea how they pulled this off. As if this wasn't already a colossal risk to take with the song, they also shoe-horned in these recurring moments of super-gently tinkling atmospherics. They pop up and then are washed away just as quick by a heavy riff and this also, beyond my understanding, completely worked for me.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:55 am 

Jonpo wrote:
So I just got Into Glory Ride in the mail yesterday and my first and only listen so far was pock-marked with a few moments that had me saying "What the fuck?"

Hatred. The chorus has a white-boy blues sort of breakdown, which inexplicably actually worked for me. I have no idea how they pulled this off. As if this wasn't already a colossal risk to take with the song, they also shoe-horned in these recurring moments of super-gently tinkling atmospherics. They pop up and then are washed away just as quick by a heavy riff and this also, beyond my understanding, completely worked for me.

You don't question the Manowar. They just are.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 pm 

I'd say the "Battle Hymn" instrumental was kind of a WTF moment for me because it toook away from the otherwise quite intense atmosphere on the album in a way that was kind of jarring.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:00 pm 

On "The Panic Broadcast" by Soilwork, the WTF moment for me was every single time the vocalist felt the need to sort of, shout the vocals and make it sound like HxC music. Maybe not quite the best explanation but it really bothered me when the underlying fucking awesome riffs of Peter Wichers were going on.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 am 

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
On "The Panic Broadcast" by Soilwork, the WTF moment for me was every single time the vocalist felt the need to sort of, shout the vocals and make it sound like HxC music. Maybe not quite the best explanation but it really bothered me when the underlying fucking awesome riffs of Peter Wichers were going on.

Soilwork going increasingy (commercial) hardcore in their metalcore style should come as no surprise to anyone who has heard anything from them since the second album.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:04 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

You don't question the Manowar. They just are.

The old Manowar, anyway. Of course, at least half of Kings Of Metal consisted of WTF moments.

Grandfather, tell me a story!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:21 pm 

I've made it a point not to listen to anything beyond the first four albums. People bring up Manowar like they're the punchline to this big joke, and to me I just imagine all these great rocking heavy metal tunes.

Xpert74
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:39 pm 

Nihilist's cover of Repulsion's Radiation Sickness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwwFIrItRws

At the 1:47 mark, the singer suddenly does this weird falsetto voice. I first heard this song after getting the Nihilist compilation in 2005, and to this day that voice has stumped me. What is its purpose? It sounds so random at the end of the song.

EDIT:
syx wrote:
Intro to 'Preteen Deathfuck' really made me look around when I first listened to the album. Was at my friends flat and we were blasting the album out while having a few drinks. That started and we were sure the police would have been called.

I set that song to be skipped during random play of my music so that I don't unsuspectingly have a raped girl's shrieks playing on my computer speakers at any given time.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:08 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I've made it a point not to listen to anything beyond the first four albums. People bring up Manowar like they're the punchline to this big joke, and to me I just imagine all these great rocking heavy metal tunes.

Boy I wish I was you, my first Manowar albums were Warriors of the World and Triumph of Steel. The latter isn't all THAT bad apart from that perplexingly awful decision to make the 28 minute epic complete with a four minute cymbal solo the opener, but still. It's a total fluke that I found Kings of Metal at a secondhand store and thought to myself "Manowar was supposed to be good in the 80's, right?". Thankfully that album led me to Hail to England and the fucking glorious Battle Hymns. I'd actually almost say that working backwards through Manowar gave me a greater appreciation for the early stuff, since they had to work to change my mind about them and ultimately succeeded.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:21 pm 

Loved Into glory ride and Hail to England, those are the only two Manowar albums I'll ever need.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:43 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'd actually almost say that working backwards through Manowar gave me a greater appreciation for the early stuff, since they had to work to change my mind about them and ultimately succeeded.

No, I think that makes perfect sense actually. I may not be appreciating the material fully because I've never heard how tepid and awful they truly became later. I just don't want to ever know though, fuck that. Battle Hymns is still my favorite by far, there aren't many songs in the world more fun to sing along with than Shell Shock (SHELLLLLLLL SHAW-YI-OCK!!!!).

I could see Into Glory Ride creeping up to the top of the heap for me though. Those last two songs are just so, so good. And no cringe-worthy bass tracks.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:51 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Loved Into glory ride and Hail to England, those are the only two Manowar albums I'll ever need.

Needs more Sign Of The Hammer.

Rael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:33 pm 

Tiamat - "Evilized" from Sumerian Cry: ham-fisted bluesy breakdown, with xylophone, at 2:36-3:38

Disharmonic Orchestra - "Return of the Living Beat" from Not to Be Undimensional Conscious: "yo, bring the beat back!" rap part, at 1:04-1:29

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm 

LifeDemise wrote:
The most wtf one I can think of is the part of Evilized by Tiamat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29_LuC3bCs#t=2m28s lol

Yup.

That rap part from Disharmonic Orchestra... ha

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:26 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Veracs wrote:

Needs more Sign Of The Hammer.

Don't want to bother with it, because I actually might enjoy it lol.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 pm 

Was listening to "Canada" by Devin Townsend and I forgot how good it was. However, there was a really crappy break in the middle of it where all of a sudden the music pretty much stops for guitar / drum tittering and some muffled "wa wa, wa wa, wa wa waaa waaaa" speaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kNaJ3WN1DE&t=2m13s
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:27 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Amon Amarth playing a SOAD cover

I haven't listened to Amon Amarth much but that sounds strange. Better go look it up.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:10 pm 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:
I haven't listened to Amon Amarth much but that sounds strange. Better go look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy_6Z7tto2k

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:36 am 

The Annihilator song "The Trend" is a fairly good song, but that part when he says "hey man I hear there's a sale at hot topic, LET'S GO!" is definitely a WTF moment, and kinda annoying. Even though I get that it fits in with the general lyrical theme.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:29 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
The Annihilator song "The Trend" is a fairly good song, but that part when he says "hey man I hear there's a sale at hot topic, LET'S GO!" is definitely a WTF moment, and kinda annoying. Even though I get that it fits in with the general lyrical theme.

I still love how they threw that line in there after having an album that was full of guest spots from Hot Topic guitarists...

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:05 am 

Dark Moor - Just Rock

No. Just keep playing metal.

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:07 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:

Soilwork going increasingy (commercial) hardcore in their metalcore style should come as no surprise to anyone who has heard anything from them since the FIFTH album.

Fixed.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:04 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yK4T5gLXz0

Doesn't this sound like a band that's about to go completely pop hardcore in a couple of years, especially when compared to earlier material? Simplistic rhythmic scheme and linear, rock music song structure, chugga start-stop verse riff, melodic multitracked clean vocal chorus (with a hardcoreish scream), metalcore chord progressions with "emotive" guitar solo. It's all there, man. As early as A Predator's Portrait, Soilwork was only a step away from sounding like Avenged Sevenfold.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:15 pm 

This isn't Metal, but on (I think this album) White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean by NoFX in the middle of the album you hear a thirty second soundclip of El Heffe taking a massive, watery sounding shit.

xx3kage3xx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:26 pm 

Even though it's Mr Bungle and it shouldn't surprise me, the ending of Slowly Growing Deaf. Gotta love sounds of someone taking a shit.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:12 am 

That freaking Doors cover at the end of Tales from the Thousand Lakes. Boy does that spoil the album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:20 am 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:
That freaking Doors cover at the end of Tales from the Thousand Lakes. Boy does that spoil the album.

That album is spoiled about three seconds into the first track when you realize it isn't good. ;)

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 am 

And to think I ordered that Orden Ogan per your suggestion!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 am 

Empyreal wrote:
vulcan plutarchy wrote:

That album is spoiled about three seconds into the first track when you realize it isn't good. ;)

You have like 17000 posts (before V2), that's one of your shittiest. I know you can do better than this. But yeah, Amorphis is one of the most overrated band in metal in my opinion, even their legit death/doom days

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:11 am 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:

You know why it is at the end? Because it isn't supposed to be there. The original release doesn't have it. As was pointed out though, it's a rather middling album. Black Winter Day is alright - It was a sort of an anthem for young, up and coming metalheads in the late 90s and early 00s. The only early song that they kept in their playlist and the only they did that had growled vocals as done by Koskela. So it is rather nostalgic. But really, Amorphis's high points were Elegy and Privilege of Evil. Or, you know, Vulgar Necrolatry/Abhorrence.

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:45 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Privilege of Evil.

I think the vocals on that EP could well be described as wtf moments. I don't like Koivusaari's vocals on any of the albums he's on, but they really stink up that one, imo. He sounds like his mouth is constantly filled to the brim with saliva on there. Or like some pitch-shifted parody of a death metal vocalist. Really, really bad, in any case.

But I can't stand pretty much any of these lower pitched dm vocalists anyway, so what do I know.

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:53 pm 

LifeDemise wrote:
LifeDemise wrote:
The most wtf one I can think of is the part of Evilized by Tiamat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29_LuC3bCs#t=2m28s lol

Yup.

That rap part from Disharmonic Orchestra... ha

Hahahaha, two of the most annoying (yet funny) moments in Classic Death Metal.

The first time i heard the "Batman" theme at the end of "Dimension Hatross" was annoying as fuck. "what the hell this guys were smoking??'" hahahahah. oh, and "Pace Till Death".

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next