Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:34 pm 

You never know with you Aussies. But hell, I'll retract my statement then.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:05 am 

I guess that's what I get for not being fully awake yet when reading posts...

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I guess that's what I get for not being fully awake yet when reading posts...

That's how I mixed up you and failsafe and I also didn't catch that he was trolling. I was like, 'hmm, failsafe seems like a really awesome guy...What? He likes this crap?'. Now he' even more of a cool guy.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:24 am 

I enjoy Me and the Boys in the same way that I enjoy certain songs from the new Morbid Angel album. Amusing in a terribly awful way. I haven't heard the rest of the album and don't think that I particularly want to.

So, the new Manilla Road is out on February 2nd. Seems so soon, goddamn. I'm not complaining in the least, though!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:31 am 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Empyreal, I have no idea how to react to you right now. First, you link that awful Running Wild song (and I'm not a fan of 80's hard rock really...) which shattered my peaceful illusion that Running Wild had just decided to call it quits. I've never been the biggest running wild fan, but I at least respect them a ton even though I never got hugely into them. Treasure Island, conquistadors and Little big horn are the only songs I regularly listen to by them. Maybe they need another try from me. The last time I tried getting them to click was a few years ago.

However, you did expose me to paragon. I love Iron Savior, I love Grave Digger, I love rebellion, I love stormwarrior. It's absurd I haven't looked into them earlier. Based on this, do you think I should examine Rage as well?

If you want to examine Rage check out my list on this thread.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:16 am 

Don't know if I'm interested on a new Manilla Road, but the Hellwell album is nothing short of brilliant. So far, it's the best non-extreme metal album (though, admittedly, extreme elements pop up here and there during its course) I've heard when it comes to reproducing an occult, Lovecraftian atmosphere. Seriously, everything fits together seamlessly; the spooky keyboard lines, the slithering, gargantuan riffs, the hypnotizing percussion, the dusty, cracky production and, of course, Shelton's vocals. I mean it when I say that Beyond the Boundaries of Sin must contain the best vocal performance I've heard out of The Shark, because he sounds like some kind of barely human priest devoted to the worship of an unspeakable, horrendous deity. Shit, I'm just gonna listen to the Acheronomicon trilogy again.....

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:07 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Don't know if I'm interested on a new Manilla Road.

Are Hellwell so radically different? :P

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 pm 

Wel, yeah, hahaha, you're right! It's just that Hellwell struck a chord with me that no Manilla albums have managed to do so yet (and I DO really like a couple of their records). Beyond the Boundaries of Sin just has that intangible something that MR seems to lack, at least from my perspective.....

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:24 pm 

In fairness, "Me & the Boys" sucks but it is extremely catchy. After finding it on youtube to link here I got the chorus stuck in my head for the next day or so. Karma, I guess!

ME & THE BOYS
WE LOVE THAT NOISE

Still, there is ONE song on the album that is decent. "I Am Who I Am" is a little overlong, rides the main riff too much, and is a little weak in the chorus, but I do like the main riff and the verses quite a bit actually. Honestly it belongs on a different album, it's way faster and the guitars play way more complex parts than pretty much anything else on the whole rest of the album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:27 pm 

I think that chorus was directly ripped off from a mid-era Helloween song or something. Except it's way more annoying...

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 pm 

I kind of liked Me & The Boys. :lol:

Not from a "this is actually good" perspective, but from a "this is sort of entertaining and catchy" perspective. Obviously it's not anywhere near good by RW's standards, either way.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

fadetonothing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 am 

Hey guys just found out about this site and bloody love it!!!!!!

I find it daunting to try and sift through all the pages to find what I am sure has been answered before, so here goes.....

I like traditional heavy metal, thrash, progressive and a tiny little bit of core but am sort of limited in the bands that I like and want to expand the amount of bands. I know these bands wont be everyone's taste but I'm hoping for some really good suggestions.
The bands that I like are : Metallica ( I like all their stuff but predominately the first 5 albums)
Dream theater, avenged sevenfold (waking the fallen onwards), trivium ( their latest was a bit hit and miss), protest the hero, bullet for my valentine ( can only just stand the vocals ) and a couple more.

As much as my favourite part of the music is the guitar the thing that stops me liking other bands that I know that are similar to the ones I've listed is the vocals. I like the vocalist to sing and not growl, scream or be cheesy aggressive. I like that grit but without sounding like it is so forced and unnatural, as much as I like the music side of bands like megadeath, evile and testament the vocals just prevent me from liking it.

Basically if you know of any bands that are similar to especially Metallica( modern vocals) avenged sevenfold ( waking onwards vocals) and trivium ( clean vocals) with the heavy riffs and solos I would love to hear them.
Or even if there are some good instrumental bands I would love to hear them.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:26 am 

You should check out Rage. The guy can sometimes remind one of Hetfield's vocals. Definitely check out albums like Unity and Soundchaser. Also, Grave Digger is another one of my favorites. The vocals are unlike anything you've heard before, I would guess at least.

Here's a couple to start off with:
Rage - All I Want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC5JohwK61Y
Rage - Defenders of The Ancient Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7ePOWghT8
Grave Digger - Rebellion (The Clans Are Marching)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-x_uBB-KIE
Grave Digger - Ballad of A Hangman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGfoh7lMPa8

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:21 am 

fadetonothing wrote:
Hey guys just found out about this site and bloody love it!!!!!!

I find it daunting to try and sift through all the pages to find what I am sure has been answered before, so here goes.....

I like traditional heavy metal, thrash, progressive and a tiny little bit of core but am sort of limited in the bands that I like and want to expand the amount of bands. I know these bands wont be everyone's taste but I'm hoping for some really good suggestions.
The bands that I like are : Metallica ( I like all their stuff but predominately the first 5 albums)
Dream theater, avenged sevenfold (waking the fallen onwards), trivium ( their latest was a bit hit and miss), protest the hero, bullet for my valentine ( can only just stand the vocals ) and a couple more.

As much as my favourite part of the music is the guitar the thing that stops me liking other bands that I know that are similar to the ones I've listed is the vocals. I like the vocalist to sing and not growl, scream or be cheesy aggressive. I like that grit but without sounding like it is so forced and unnatural, as much as I like the music side of bands like megadeath, evile and testament the vocals just prevent me from liking it.

Basically if you know of any bands that are similar to especially Metallica( modern vocals) avenged sevenfold ( waking onwards vocals) and trivium ( clean vocals) with the heavy riffs and solos I would love to hear them.
Or even if there are some good instrumental bands I would love to hear them.

Welcome! Since it seems you already like a bunch of metalcore bands alreadly why not head over to the deathcore/metalcore thread and post something there too; it's pinned on the forums. Ditto for the thrash metal thread. As far as more traditional stuff goes I would take a look at Tad Morose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3frBQVmwKPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJiU8wPy6I

Dark, riffy power metal.

Undead to Modus Vividendi is in the same style.

You might like Jens Carlsson's of Persuader and Dark Empire's vocals. Persuader is pretty much (it seems) what you are looking but dark empire is more progressive with some growls thrown in.
Persuader:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYmRtYYhNI

Dark Empire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fSpHOz ... ure=relmfu

If you end up liking Grave digger take a look at rebellion and iron savior. They're both the same style of gritty, straightforward germanic power metal:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBm-G4qJ5TM (rebellion)

Last edited by Evangelion2014 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:15 am 

The only thing in common between Grave Digger and Iron Savior is that they are German.

Srsly, Iron Savior is more like the early Helloween and Gamma Ray sound than to Grave Digger.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:18 am 

metroplex wrote:
The only thing in common between Grave Digger and Iron Savior is that they are German.

Srsly, Iron Savior is more like the early Helloween and Gamma Ray sound than to Grave Digger.

Fair point. I edited them out. I guess I see a lot of power metal pretty similarly, as long as it isn't unbearably fruity like say, skylark any decent power metal band get's thrown into my power metal playlist.

I was mainly thinking of the vocal style, the gruff yet melodic style that is in a lot of the bands he listed.

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 pm 

Hi, I'm new, I'm Lensherr and I'm interested by power metal recently, especially uplifting power metal.
So, anyone knows some great and uplifting power metal songs?

Thanks.

Edit : so you can help me better, imma list songs that I used to listen when I was kid and those that I discovered recently and liked as much as the songs that I listened when I was younger :

Music that I used to listen when I was younger :
Dyslesia - fighting
Stratovarius - 4000 Rainy Nights
Stratovarius - years go by
Stratovarius - requiem
Stratovarius - what can I say?
Stratovarius - Infinite
Stratovarius - mother gaia
Sonata Arctica - Blank File
Sonata Arctica - Letter to dana
Sonata Arctica - Fullmoon

The recent ones that I've discovered and liked as much.

Helloween - I want out
Holy Knights - Gate Trough the past
Gamma Ray - Lake of tears
Supreme Majesty - Spellbound
Shadow Gallery - Crystalline dream
Astral Doors - New revelation
DragonForce - Black winter night

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:38 pm 

I imagine that you'd love Lost Horizon. They're the first thing that comes to mind when I think of uplifting (and self-empowering) power metal. Here's the opening song from their second album, Pure.

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:15 pm 

Lost horizon seems to be a good band, even tho the song you posted is prob not my favourite, in order to know which is my favourite, I'm gonna have to listen to their albums, thanks for the suggestion.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:07 pm 

Uplifting? That would be Nocturnal Rites' 2nd and 3rd albums.
If you're not uplifted after that, just search the archives for Italian power metal. I'll get you started:

Highlord - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZxD_d6AhH0
Labyrinth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD_cH4bOSzU

But beware; these Italians have a bad, bad habit of randomly turning to suck from one album to the next.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 pm 

I could need some testosteron-filled, mid-tempo (even better description: stomping) heavy/power metal. Not a fan of vocals in too high areas. Stuff like "Thor (The Powerhead)", "Hail To England" and "Manowar" by, well, Manowar as well as "Sword & Sorcery" by Majesty, Wotan (italy, though the vocals are indeed a bit to high for my taste), some Ironsword songs, Running Wild's "Under Jolly Roger", "Jenning'S Revenge" etc. Oh, and catchy choruses are a major requirement, too.

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:45 pm 

Opus wrote:
Uplifting? That would be Nocturnal Rites' 2nd and 3rd albums.
If you're not uplifted after that, just search the archives for Italian power metal. I'll get you started:

Highlord - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZxD_d6AhH0
Labyrinth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD_cH4bOSzU

But beware; these Italians have a bad, bad habit of randomly turning to suck from one album to the next.

Labyrinth sounds really nice, I like the other one too.

Imma check your suggestions, thanks.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:59 pm 

Lensherr.
Virgin Steele - Veni, Vidi, Vici.
That's all you need to hear, there's nothing more uplifting and epic than this.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:31 am 

grauer_mausling wrote:
I could need some testosteron-filled, mid-tempo (even better description: stomping) heavy/power metal. Not a fan of vocals in too high areas. Stuff like "Thor (The Powerhead)", "Hail To England" and "Manowar" by, well, Manowar as well as "Sword & Sorcery" by Majesty, Wotan (italy, though the vocals are indeed a bit to high for my taste), some Ironsword songs, Running Wild's "Under Jolly Roger", "Jenning'S Revenge" etc. Oh, and catchy choruses are a major requirement, too.

I would say you need to check the band Rebellion out. That is the best example I can think of.

Oh, and you could check out the "Heart of Darkness" album by Grave Digger. There's a lot of mid-paced stuff on there, but that's pretty much their only album that has so many mid-paced and down-beat songs.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:56 am 

Lensherr
Try Pandaemonium, "Return To Reality" is there most uplifting album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJXnoG-n0I

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:09 am 

Lensherr - since you like D-force check out Pathfinder

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:32 am 

Three more for Lensherr:
Persuader - The Hunter; quite a bit heavier than the other recommendations here, but something about the simplicity and sheer enthusiasm makes this pure joy to listen to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MIzMHYpgkQ

Luca Turilli - King of the Northern Twilight, Prophet of the Last Eclipse; overblown dramatic orchestral power metal. I much prefer this to Rhapsody, though their first album is good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX1jHBujX14

Galneryus - Flag of Punishment; Japanese masterpiece!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzTz8fUfPw

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 am 

@ShadeOfDarkness: thanks, gonna try Rebellion. However I've always hated Grave Digger (eps. the vocals) but I will try them again on youtube for songs of said album. Not sure if I will stop hating them, but it is worth a try...

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:57 am 

Is it christmas already? Thanks for your help guys !

Those I liked a lot :

Virgin Steele - Veni vidi vici ( past 6 : 45 ) it really sound like heaven.
I've listened to this one of pande and liked it a lot : Pandaemonium - The Alchemist
The vocalist of pathfinder has some amazing talent wow. This song was amazing, it even has some black metal sing in it.

Thanks a lot guys !

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 am 

grauer_mausling wrote:

I assume you know Omen already, but check out their first three albums if not. Also check out Valkyrie (Nld), Steelpreacher, and Stormbringer (US - IL).

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:06 pm 

What do you good chaps think of Atlain?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
grauer_mausling wrote:

I assume you know Omen already, but check out their first three albums if not. Also check out Valkyrie (Nld), Steelpreacher, and Stormbringer (US - IL).

yes, I do know Omen and those three albums are highly praised and often played here :). The other three bands are unkknown to me, so I will give them a try. Thanks!

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:55 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
What do you good chaps think of Atlain?

Haven't listened to them for awhile now but sure I like them. I had a big thing for teutonic 80s heavy metal a few years ago and I remember listening to Atlain very often back then and thinking they're one of the top acts from that scene. I should revisit Living in the Dark album one of these days. It's so catchy that I could probably replay Hallowed by the Priest or the title track in my head from start to finish even though I haven't heard them for some time.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Aernach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:04 pm 

Ok, so I'll just ask a simple thing.

I'm looking for the bluesiest Trad Heavy Metal, y'know. You can take as reference classic 70's bands like Motörhead, Priest, Sabbath, Rainbow, maybe some Alice Cooper or even Deep Purple.

I've searched, but found little or nothing in the matter of underground bands.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:20 pm 

Sir Lord Baltimore
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 pm 

Aernach wrote:
Ok, so I'll just ask a simple thing.

I'm looking for the bluesiest Trad Heavy Metal, y'know. You can take as reference classic 70's bands like Motörhead, Priest, Sabbath, Rainbow, maybe some Alice Cooper or even Deep Purple.

I've searched, but found little or nothing in the matter of underground bands.

Check out any of Budgie's first five albums, and any of Riot's first three.

Last edited by Oblarg on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:58 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
any of Riot's first three.

I'd say the Rhett Forrester albums; Restless Breed and Born in America.

Also The Rods - s/t and Wild Dogs.

fadetonothing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:53 am 

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:
You should check out Rage. The guy can sometimes remind one of Hetfield's vocals. Definitely check out albums like Unity and Soundchaser. Also, Grave Digger is another one of my favorites. The vocals are unlike anything you've heard before, I would guess at least.

Here's a couple to start off with:
Rage - All I Want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC5JohwK61Y
Rage - Defenders of The Ancient Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7ePOWghT8
Grave Digger - Rebellion (The Clans Are Marching)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-x_uBB-KIE
Grave Digger - Ballad of A Hangman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGfoh7lMPa8

Cheers, not bad suggestions, love the music side of those bands, and while i dont hate the vocals, they still sound a little forced to me, like i said above with james hetfield to me it just sounds natural, whether you dont like how he sings now or metallica on the whole it doesnt sound like someone putting on a voice, which is how i hear alot of the bands that i try and get into.

fadetonothing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:00 am 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
fadetonothing wrote:

Welcome! Since it seems you already like a bunch of metalcore bands alreadly why not head over to the deathcore/metalcore thread and post something there too; it's pinned on the forums. Ditto for the thrash metal thread. As far as more traditional stuff goes I would take a look at Tad Morose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3frBQVmwKPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJiU8wPy6I

Dark, riffy power metal.

Undead to Modus Vividendi is in the same style.

You might like Jens Carlsson's of Persuader and Dark Empire's vocals. Persuader is pretty much (it seems) what you are looking but dark empire is more progressive with some growls thrown in.
Persuader:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYmRtYYhNI

Dark Empire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fSpHOz ... ure=relmfu

If you end up liking Grave digger take a look at rebellion and iron savior. They're both the same style of gritty, straightforward germanic power metal:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBm-G4qJ5TM (rebellion)

thanks for the suggestions, as I just said in the above reply the vocals to me just sound a little forced, which to me makes it sound chesy, no offense, im loving all the suggestions and am enjoying actually going searching the bands and listen to them even if it doesnt work out with the desired outcome, its actually a bit exciting.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:04 am 

Holy fuck, this band called Attic from Germany is just kicking my ass right now. In my opinion, probably the better Mercyful Fate homage band I have heard yet. Glad I came across them. Full length album coming out soon :metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eqooRODUZRU#!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369 ... 624  Next