Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:54 am 

Kigo7 wrote:
I'm actually surprised that Geoff Tate hasn't been sued yet for misappropriating the Queensryche name, and I'm also surprised that the other members of Queensryche (the actual Queensryche) are just letting Tate use it.

I am 99.999% sure that there is litigation pending, at the very least. The other members just can't speak publicly while the lawsuit is going on.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:08 pm 

Excerpts from a recent Geoff Tate interview. IT IS NOT OPPOSITE DAY!

Speaking about the last couple of QUEENSRŸCHE records, 'Operation: Mindcrime II' was very metal, or very hard rock. The same with 'American Soldier', our album after that. "Both albums were critically acclaimed and fan favorites as well. And we toured pretty heavily on those records around the world.

'Operation: Mindcrime' wasn't what most people would consider a heavy metal record [either].

Now, in the real world, which is the world that I live in, my version of QUEENSRŸCHE has had no problem getting shows. In fact, I'm getting guarantees that are equal to what QUEENSRŸCHE was getting before. So where I'm getting an equal amount of money for my show, they are not — they are getting very little money for their shows. In fact, I don't believe they're gonna be even able to tour. They might be able to go out and do a weekend show here and weekend show there, but they can't get enough money to support doing an entire tour. So it's very tragic that they've done this, and very disappointing and very hurtful, to me, and to the fans, that they've been motivated by greed and jealousy to pursue this. And I wish them the best of luck, 'cause they're gonna need it. It's a very tough market out there.

I mean, first off, the people that are talking in support of them are a very small number of QUEENSRŸCHE fans, a very small segment of the big pie, so to speak.

The problem is there's the real world and there's the not-real world. And they live in a world that doesn't exist.

Read more: http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=180466

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 pm 

I read that earlier and considered posting it because of how ludicrous it was. The man's insane, and this new album of his doesn't give him a very good defense in terms of who is responsible for the downfall of QR's musical quality.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 pm 

I suppose he has some semblance of a point, insofar as we people who talk about this stuff on internet forums are not completely representative of the views of the public at large. But for him to be saying something so completely and utterly at odds with the prevailing opinions of the internet fans suggests either he's removed from 'the real world' or we are. Perhaps we both are to some extent.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:37 pm 

He's living in denial. That is the only explanation for any of this. Anyone and everyone who's even a little familiar with their situation knows just how full of shit that man is.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:34 am 

Fucking Tate wrote:
they've been motivated by greed and jealousy to pursue this.

Fucking Tate wrote:
So where I'm getting an equal amount of money for my show, they are not — they are getting very little money for their shows.

Yeah Tate, it's the way to show how the money it's not important for ya.

Blabber wrote:
Geoff, you should start a band with Kenny G. That's more your style. It's wot you do.

This cracked me up.

Also, this might be true:

Another Blabber wrote:
Hmmm, That ONE Rising West show that didn't sell out and only drew about 200 people... I was there and it was 2 shows and both sold out and had the Hard Rock have a larger capacity there would have been more people there. The Hard Rock said that those were the two biggest shows they have had to date. There were something like 500+ people both nights. They sold out of all their merch the 1st night too!

The 'new' 'Ryche will make better once they release an album and start touring.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:59 pm 

You'll notice that Glen Drover's biography section on Queensryche.com is copied straight out of Wikipedia, with the reference markers intact.

http://www.queensryche.com/glen-drover/

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:39 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I read that earlier and considered posting it because of how ludicrous it was.

Yes, in it he seems to have taken too much for granted an illusion that the majority of Queensryche fans have standards.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:05 pm 

I'd say that quite a few Queensryche fans would be siding with the other members of Queensryche seeing as they're the ones who had to put up with Tate's bullshit for so long. Out of curiosity is Fucking Tate Geoff Tate by any chance?

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:04 pm 

Delusional Douchebag wrote:
"[What] the other side [is doing is they're engaging in] what's called a smear campaign, where they take bits of information and they're stretching what they call the truth.

But he *also* wrote:
'Operation: Mindcrime II' was very metal, or very hard rock. The same with 'American Soldier', our album after that.

And, more importantly, he wrote:
So saying that I was not interested in playing old songs is completely untrue, 'cause I wrote most of those.

What was it you were saying again, Tate? Taking bits of information and stretching what you call the truth? UH-HU.
:boo:

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:22 am 

juicebitch wrote:
You'll notice that Glen Drover's biography section on Queensryche.com is copied straight out of Wikipedia, with the reference markers intact.

Lmao! Good catch! :lol:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 pm 

juicebitch wrote:

Geoff Tate's version of Drover's biography mentioned that he wrote "Rust in Peace" and "Countdown to Extinction" during his time in Megadeth, so they had no choice but to plagiarize from Wikipedia.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:36 pm 

I guess Drover joined because he doesn't mind working with assholes with huge egos.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
juicebitch wrote:

Geoff Tate's version of Drover's biography mentioned that he wrote "Rust in Peace" and "Countdown to Extinction" during his time in Megadeth, so they had no choice but to plagiarize from Wikipedia.

Don't forget that he also wrote most of King Diamond's "Abigail"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:28 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Fucking Tate wrote:
they've been motivated by greed and jealousy to pursue this.

Fucking Tate wrote:
So where I'm getting an equal amount of money for my show, they are not — they are getting very little money for their shows.

Yeah Tate, it's the way to show how the money it's not important for ya.

I think he thinks they did it for the money, but were just stupid about it. He's like Sauron with the Ring; he's such a gigantic sellout that he literally cannot comprehend someone resisting the temptation of big bucks.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:34 pm 

Jeezus. Either Geoff Tate is so arrogant that he's more or less taking credit for everything his ex-bandmates have done or he's too delusional to know the difference. Seeing as Glen Drover and Rudy Sarzo have joined up with Tate, does the Tateryche page mention who the other people who joined are?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:59 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
Jeezus. Either Geoff Tate is so arrogant that he's more or less taking credit for everything his ex-bandmates have done or he's too delusional to know the difference. Seeing as Glen Drover and Rudy Sarzo have joined up with Tate, does the Tateryche page mention who the other people who joined are?

There's a section on the guy from Ratt and the guy that he played in Myth with. Kelly Gray's biography is the only one that really seems to have any effort put into it.

So if this thing ends up existing for any other reason than as a cash cow, who do you think will write the songs? Obviously Tate and Gray will oversee everything but I am morbidly curious to see what the others would come up with.

Last edited by Twisted_Psychology on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:51 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
So if this thing ends up existing for any other reason than as a cash cow, who do you think will write the songs? Obviously Tate and Gray will oversee everything but I am morbidly curious to see what the others would come up with.

Everyone will be allowed to contribute, but only as long as it doesn't outshine or out-metal Geoff's work.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:01 pm 

Teaser clip

http://youtu.be/ZNP_jR0McuU

Sounds more metal, but there's not enough to make a real judgement on. La Torre sounds great though.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:07 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
Teaser clip

http://youtu.be/ZNP_jR0McuU

Sounds more metal, but there's not enough to make a real judgement on. La Torre sounds great though.

That single, solitary minute is already their best stuff since Tribe.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:22 pm 

You can't draw any fair conclusions from that trailer. That is, save for the fact that LaTorre just gave modern day Tate a run for his money ni barely more than a minute.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 am 

Dedicated to Chaos was the type of album that never should have existed. Hearing that sample, I'll need a more complete sample to make a better judgment, but it already is heading in the right direction. Heavy metal riffs, for one, and vocals that aren't strained whines from a spitting goblin.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:39 am 

Am I the only one then that just heard modern Queensryche-sounding riffs underneath the "check him out! it's like our old singer, but it's a new guy!!! vocals?

This new QR has had it ridiculously easy so far. The world has more or less wholeheartedly blamed Tate for all their problems - in fact, you could almost say we were looking for a scapegoat, and his massive ego was a great target - but now they have to back it up. And that essentially means releasing something that sounds like a pre-Promised Land album. If they do that, it'll be lauded as the comeback of the century. Fuck, Death Magnetic is rubbish but look how well-received it was. They could do whatever they want after that, but they need to re-establish themselves first.

If they misjudge their niche and try to "stay relevant", it won't work. That clip is far too early to tell for sure, but what little I could hear wasn't so far removed from what they've been telling us was the Tatefest of the last 20 years....

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:51 am 

Turner wrote:
Am I the only one then that just heard modern Queensryche-sounding riffs underneath the "check him out! it's like our old singer, but it's a new guy!!! vocals?

This new QR has had it ridiculously easy so far. The world has more or less wholeheartedly blamed Tate for all their problems - in fact, you could almost say we were looking for a scapegoat, and his massive ego was a great target - but now they have to back it up. And that essentially means releasing something that sounds like a pre-Promised Land album. If they do that, it'll be lauded as the comeback of the century. Fuck, Death Magnetic is rubbish but look how well-received it was. They could do whatever they want after that, but they need to re-establish themselves first.

If they misjudge their niche and try to "stay relevant", it won't work. That clip is far too early to tell for sure, but what little I could hear wasn't so far removed from what they've been telling us was the Tatefest of the last 20 years....

You know what? Not far off. Frankly, my expectations for the new Queensryche album are low - just because it goes back to metal doesn't necessarily mean it'll be good (again, Death Magnetic). I do think LaTorre can pull it off, but the expectations for this will be so high that anything will be a disappointment.

But fuck Geoff Tate anyway. (Hey Tate, look at all those pictures on Yoohtoob and see how many dislikes the Dedicated to Chaos songs have compared to the earlier ones...)

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 am 

What the fuck was that clip? Cutting between songs every 5 seconds is horrendous, and from what I heard there's a tremendous lack of metal riffs, just big sing-along choruses over bland modern rock.

Color me unimpressed.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:45 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
What the fuck was that clip? Cutting between songs every 5 seconds is horrendous, and from what I heard there's a tremendous lack of metal riffs, just big sing-along choruses over bland modern rock.

Color me unimpressed.

I was also hoping for a more crushing teaser. But then I'm fan of the material up to Mindcrime and have a particular soft spot for the debut EP and Warning. This sounds more like Empire, which I know a lot of fans appreciate but I find indigestible.

However, these are very short soundbites so it is difficult to know what this is about. I think they may have wanted to highlight La Torre's vocals with those clips and am hoping this explains the absence of heaviness and tasty riffs.

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:55 pm 

I suppose on the positive side of things La Torre sounds significantly less irritating in the above clip than he has previously. Apart from that I'm not exactly sure how stringing together five second snippets of songs constitutes a trailer for anything.
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:34 pm 

Xanzotire wrote:
I suppose on the positive side of things La Torre sounds significantly less irritating in the above clip than he has previously.

Previously where? In low-quality iPhone recordings at shows?

The dude sounds exactly like he always has, IMO. It's great that he is finally getting the chance to professionally record.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 pm 

Oblarg wrote:

Color me unimpressed.

The teaser seemed to be leading up to something awesome but that was a really unprofessional teaser. Didn't build up momentum for this album at all.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:04 am 

I'm just glad there's real evidence of progress on recording. I'd hate to see this whole thing lose steam and peter out.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:57 am 

Queensryche seems to have figured that the real problem with DTC was that it had two or three tracks which weren't completely bland and uninteresting. Will probably have less personality than DTC, will probably be more successfully received. And it still sounds like La Torre is a cat going through a perpetual skinning process to continue appearing human.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:28 am 

I like it! Really promising, actually had a few of the vocal lines stuck in my head today. Wasn't expecting old-style QR in of The Warning or Rage for Order but more along the lines of modern prog metal, so, I'm not too disappointed about that anyways.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:37 am 

The first sample sounds great, but it's most likely a chorus, and I'll need to hear the rest of the song (especially the riffs) before I can really form an opinion. Either it's the softer part of the song because it's the catchy, anthemic chorus of what will overall be a power/prog metal killer... or it's the tougher part of what will be a sappy, sucky prog rock ballad with slight hard/heavy undertones.

As for the rest, the one riff they actually put forth on its own (the last sample) is concerningly basic and unremarkable (too-too-too-toom!--toom-toom... too-too-too-toom!--toom-toom...). If that's the best Wilton has in stock, this album won't be relevant for metalheads or old school QR fans, I'm afraid.

Trailer itself is laughable and ill-conceived to the point it reminded me of that South Park episode in which they had totally nailed the ridiculously formulaic and misleading Hollywood movie trailers of the past few decades. Not a great sign.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:59 am 

New Interview with old mate below

hahahahaahhaahhaha at the Queen of the Reich comments

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:43 pm 

This guy, man. This guy.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:11 pm 

juicebitch wrote:
This guy, man. This guy.

No kidding. If what he said was true (which it ain't), that would mean QR's fan base gets stoked off the post-Empire material. Even if you somehow didn't know that song, if you enjoy Operation Mindcrime and the other material like it, you'll love Queen of the Reich.

This guy is actually saying fans prefer the new crap to the old material. Unbelievable.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 pm 

Okay, after reading that, I refuse to believe that Tate is a legally sane individual.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:58 pm 

Geoff Tate wrote:
It's an early song that was written [by Chris DeGarmo alone, before he even recruited me] and it shows.

Geoff Tate wrote:
It was the first song written thirty-some-odd years ago [by Chris DeGarmo alone, before he even recruited me] and obviously I cannot relate to it anymore. [at all, because it isn't mine and it never was].

Rock Show Critique wrote:
As you grew older, you felt you wrote better songs?

Geoff Tate wrote:
Songs that mean more to me, definitely. [Shyeah, right! Like I ever composed any music at all, let alone on this level!]

Fixed.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:43 pm 

Glen Drover quit Geoff Tate's Queensryche.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=182687

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:51 pm 

Well there goes any hope for that project.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next