Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:23 am 

CremeAndSugar wrote:
Hey, I'm looking for death metal similar to Cattle Decapitation's new album. I mean, I've tried to like some death metal lots of times, but it just didn't work for me. But yeah, when I heard Monolith of Inhumanity, it blew me away, and I listened to it a lot. Didn't like Cattle's other stuff THAT MUCH, though. Any ideas?

The similar artists tab is your friend. ;) I'd say that other than that you can try the latest Aborted and Benighted albums and check out Mumakil for some more grind-oriented stuff.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 am 

CremeAndSugar wrote:
Hey, I'm looking for death metal similar to Cattle Decapitation's new album. I mean, I've tried to like some death metal lots of times, but it just didn't work for me. But yeah, when I heard Monolith of Inhumanity, it blew me away, and I listened to it a lot. Didn't like Cattle's other stuff THAT MUCH, though. Any ideas?

Have you heard Murder Construct? Aborted is also kind of in the same vein, if not too obvious.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:58 pm 

i do recognise some Anaal Nathrakh elements in CD's music, so check them out.. also chek out Cephalic Carnage and Augury ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DPW9ED1WBs )

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:35 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
As always, I'm looking for those death metal bands that implement quite a bit of melody in their songwriting without being melodeath. A perfect point of reference would be Anata's debut album Infernal Depths of Hatred. The melodies and melodic riffs are the central part of the music in most songs, although there's a fair amount of quite unmelodic and even atonal death metal riffing.

I'm gonna go on a stretch and recommend Arghoslent's Incorrigible Bigotry, being a big fan of Anata since their beginning. Just have a listen, despite the bleeding pussy reviews on the archives by lactating men, I just bought this album a week ago and have spent the entire last couple of days with it on repeat on my headphones. Its a riff assault that keeps your brain occupied without being showy or overbearing, it keeps me coming back effortlessly. I think they have controversial lyrics, I couldn't understand them and don't care.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:53 am 

Varth wrote:
I'm gonna go on a stretch and recommend Arghoslent's Incorrigible Bigotry, being a big fan of Anata since their beginning. Just have a listen, despite the bleeding pussy reviews on the archives by lactating men, I just bought this album a week ago and have spent the entire last couple of days with it on repeat on my headphones. Its a riff assault that keeps your brain occupied without being showy or overbearing, it keeps me coming back effortlessly. I think they have controversial lyrics, I couldn't understand them and don't care.

I checked out Arghoslent briefly when I got into Grand Belial's Key ages ago, and I didn't like them much. The first album was especially shitty. The second and third album has some good material, but none of it can compare to GBK, or Anata for that matter. Thanks though.

Funnily, I thought the first album sounded like it was death metal written for lactating men.

Soalia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:46 am 

I am looking for something with that slower doom/death sound that still manages to maintain its brutality. Been searching around for a while with no luck.
For example:

Krypts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzw8dAEghk8

or

Slugathor's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21B8W_yHJHA

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:41 am 

Soalia wrote:
I am looking for something with that slower doom/death sound that still manages to maintain its brutality. Been searching around for a while with no luck.
For example:

or

Ascended(from Finland)
Swallowed(from Finland)
Desecresy(post Slugathor project.)
Decrepitaph(from the US)

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:19 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
Soalia wrote:
For example:

or

Decrepitaph(from the US)

^I second these^

Would also add Binah - Hallucinating Ressurecture and Ataraxy's new one. Not terribly doomy, but then neither is Decrepitaph. The atmosphere is there.

Soalia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:30 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
Soalia wrote:
For example:

or

Ascended(from Finland)
Swallowed(from Finland)
Decrepitaph(from the US)

This guy nailed it, thank you. Hours of new metal to sift through now. Is there a particular name for this type of DM? The only way I've heard it referenced is "old school metal."

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:53 pm 

Soalia wrote:
This guy nailed it, thank you. Hours of new metal to sift through now. Is there a particular name for this type of DM? The only way I've heard it referenced is "old school metal."

OSDM or old school death metal, yes. :)

A few more that have impressed recently are:

Ataraxy - Revelations of the Ethereal
Puteraeon - Cult Cthulhu
Putrevore - Macabre Kingdom
Desecrecy - The Doom Skeptron (the band was mentioned above, yes, but I figured I'd point out this album)

And also,

Sinister - The Carnage Ending

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 pm 

It's called "awesome (mostly Finnish in style) OSDM". :headbang:

Awesome recommendations above and I'm going to add Rippikoulu's Musta Seremonia which is a beastly work that's surprisingly absent. I'm curious at the recommendation of Sinister though, I've never had them as a doomy act. In fact, and being from a country filled with death/doom acts, they're pretty far from doom. Care to share some light on that rec Misfit74?! I'd be interested in your reasoning. And all things considered I haven't heard that specific album yet. ;)

Soalia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:50 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Soalia wrote:

OSDM or old school death metal, yes. :)

A few more that have impressed recently are:

Ataraxy - Revelations of the Ethereal
Puteraeon - Cult Cthulhu
Putrevore - Macabre Kingdom
Desecrecy - The Doom Skeptron (the band was mentioned above, yes, but I figured I'd point out this album)

And also,

Sinister - The Carnage Ending

God damn, I expected yo maybe get one helpful reply. I really like Puteraeon and Decrepitaph. I am still in the process of listening to the rest. I've always been a big black metal fan but I think you guys just converted me to lean towards OSDM.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 pm 

Soalia wrote:
I've always been a big black metal fan but I think you guys just converted me to lean towards OSDM.

Do come inside, we've got much more! :-P

Now seriously, death and black aren't mutually exclusive. In fact you'll find that some bands walk a thin line between both genres, and when you get into that style of crossover you'll be much more eager to listen to both death and black with equal joy. ;)

Soalia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 am 

androdion wrote:
Soalia wrote:
I've always been a big black metal fan but I think you guys just converted me to lean towards OSDM.

Do come inside, we've got much more! :-P

Now seriously, death and black aren't mutually exclusive. In fact you'll find that some bands walk a thin line between both genres, and when you get into that style of crossover you'll be much more eager to listen to both death and black with equal joy. ;)

Haha happy to be here.

Soalia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:30 am 

After listening to all thats been recommended I have to say, Profane Doctrines Unburied is one of my favorite new albums. Maybe not exactly what I was looking for but this album and this band are fucking awesome

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:51 pm 

androdion wrote:

Awesome recommendations above and I'm going to add Rippikoulu's Musta Seremonia which is a beastly work that's surprisingly absent. I'm curious at the recommendation of Sinister though, I've never had them as a doomy act. In fact, and being from a country filled with death/doom acts, they're pretty far from doom. Care to share some light on that rec Misfit74?! I'd be interested in your reasoning. And all things considered I haven't heard that specific album yet. ;)

Nobody said Sinister was a doom act or even death/doom. I think the OP request wasn't death/doom it was more or less OSDM. I find Sinister to be OSDM or just plain DM. However, that new album is great and has an old school atmosphere, to me. Nothing doom about it, though. However, I do realize that the other bands mentioned are different from Sinister, which is why I separated that listing from the other bands with a space. :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:19 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
androdion wrote:

Nobody said Sinister was a doom act or even death/doom. I think the OP request wasn't death/doom it was more or less OSDM. I find Sinister to be OSDM or just plain DM. However, that new album is great and has an old school atmosphere, to me. Nothing doom about it, though. However, I do realize that the other bands mentioned are different from Sinister, which is why I separated that listing from the other bands with a space. :)

Alrighty then! :)

Yeah, Sinister are very far from doom. I'm very fond of them but I haven't heard anything new since Afterburner. But if you're going to rec an album by them why not Hate? That's one massive hulking motherfucker of an old school album! ;)

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 pm 

androdion wrote:

Yeah, Sinister are very far from doom. I'm very fond of them but I haven't heard anything new since Afterburner. But if you're going to rec an album by them why not Hate? That's one massive hulking motherfucker of an old school album! ;)

I have yet to delve into Sinister's back catalogue, yet, so thanks for the rec. I have that album available and will check it out. The Carnage Ending is pretty damn good, too. You should check that out.

Aeon's new one absolutely crushes.

Heck, speaking of OSDM, how about Grand Supreme Blood Court's new one? Another fantastic album that I keep player over and over. :D

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:41 pm 

Sinister's first three are all very good, be sure to check them all out! ;) I will check out their newest, eventually.

GSBC didn't fondle me as much as I thought they would sadly. I think it's just a bit too much of the same formula, I mean the album is basically Asphyx. Hell, it is Asphyx! As much as I love Aphyx and Van Drunen sometimes too much is just too much, if that makes any sense.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 am 

androdion wrote:
Sinister's first three are all very good, be sure to check them all out! ;) I will check out their newest, eventually.

GSBC didn't fondle me as much as I thought they would sadly. I think it's just a bit too much of the same formula, I mean the album is basically Asphyx. Hell, it is Asphyx! As much as I love Aphyx and Van Drunen sometimes too much is just too much, if that makes any sense.

Being such a fan of Hail Of Bullets and that formula, if you will, it's an enjoyable album for me. I actually like it better than Asphyx. Even though it may be formulaic, it's one of a kind in many ways. It's their formula and Van Drunen can't be replicated. :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:11 am 

Yeah OK, but the whole thing about the band being basically Asphyx minus Bayens plus Daniels irks me somehow. It's basically Asphyx under a different name because of the two guitarists and all that. Bob didn't want to deny Daniels a bit of glory but it's not like he was going to suddenly put Bayens out of commission when he has been the go-to axeman on at least three bands (Asphyx, HOB and Thanatos). So the whole thing reeks of fishy to me. The album is good no doubt but I can't seem to dispel the thought of being Asphyx under a different name, just a few months after Deathhammer came out.

Going into the quality of the songs, I can say that I haven't got that "wow" feeling from the album as I was supposed to have. Maybe it's as I said before and I'm just getting fed up of the same repeated formula. I love HOB and their take on Bolt Throwerish anthems. I love Asphyx since the (early) Van Drunen days. But this "new" band... I just don't know...

Soalia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:01 am 

for anyone interested I have found some other bands that are similar to what I was looking for that are pretty badass.

Entrails (doesn't fit my previous description as much. However, some songs do and the rest are pretty good as well)
Stench Of Decay
Ascended (I think someone mentioned them before but I felt like including them, DEAL WITH IT)
Burial Invocation
Gorelord (especially the song rising of the undead)

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:11 am 

There are numerous more bands in that style since it has been increasingly popular the last 4-5 years - and there are a lot of old underground gems from back in the day too - so enjoy digging around for some more.

Off the top of my head I'll mention: Abyssal - Denouement, Cruciamentum, Dead Congregation (their old EP is even better than their already legendary full length, Graves of the Archangels), Denial - Catacombs of the Grotesque, Drowned from Germany, Funebrarum (especially their first album though both are great, just more tempo changes in their second), Innsmouth, Lie in Ruins, Convulse - World Without God, Miasma - Changes, Divine Eve, maybe even Yogth Sothoth from Columbia, Goreaphobia, Mangled Torsos - Drawings of the Dead for some truly weird old school doomy death, and I'll second Rippikoulu - Musta Seremonia as a milestone in the genre...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:30 pm 

Nice that slow, doomy death is being discussed because I was just about to ask the same thing myself :-D. What inspired the query was my quasi-random discovery of Cianide's The Dying Truth , which I'd like to add to the albums being mentioned. Very slow (for the most part) minimalist death that still manages to conjure a thick, morbid, disturbed aura.

In other rec questions, I've come to discover two of my current favorite OSDM releases are Amorphis' Privilege of Evil and Thou Shalt Suffer's Into the Woods of Belial demo. They've both got those sickly amphibious vocals, eerie keyboards, and plenty of rapid structural changes. Anyone recommend anything close to these?

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:23 pm 

Catacomb - In the Maze of Kadath?

Soalia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:49 am 

andersbang wrote:
There are numerous more bands in that style since it has been increasingly popular the last 4-5 years - and there are a lot of old underground gems from back in the day too - so enjoy digging around for some more.

Off the top of my head I'll mention: Abyssal - Denouement, Cruciamentum, Dead Congregation (their old EP is even better than their already legendary full length, Graves of the Archangels), Denial - Catacombs of the Grotesque, Drowned from Germany, Funebrarum (especially their first album though both are great, just more tempo changes in their second), Innsmouth, Lie in Ruins, Convulse - World Without God, Miasma - Changes, Divine Eve, maybe even Yogth Sothoth from Columbia, Goreaphobia, Mangled Torsos - Drawings of the Dead for some truly weird old school doomy death, and I'll second Rippikoulu - Musta Seremonia as a milestone in the genre...

Holy shit... you have just given me days of new music. Thank you! This request has turned out amazing.

satiros
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:26 am 

Hi,

do you guys know any other bands that play in the style of Shroud of the Heretic? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RayojggFTU8

Something that sounds super heavy, reverby, downtuned; like bolt thrower played inside a cave, or a sarcophagus.

aryswisnu666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:37 am 

recommended death metal band from Indonesia

Deadsquad http://www.deadsquad.net/

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:17 pm 

Soalia wrote:
andersbang wrote:

Holy shit... you have just given me days of new music. Thank you! This request has turned out amazing.

Sure thing, when you've listened to some of the request from me and the others, say what works and what doesn't and we can maybe get you some more bands to look at...

EDIT:
satiros wrote:
Hi,

do you guys know any other bands that play in the style of Shroud of the Heretic? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RayojggFTU8

Something that sounds super heavy, reverby, downtuned; like bolt thrower played inside a cave, or a sarcophagus.

Maybe Sonne Adam?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:51 am 

Soalia wrote:
For example:

or

People mentioned Ataraxy and other bands...you can check out the new album by Horrendous. Some bits range from slow to mid-tempo and some have more OSDM leanings. Whether they fit your description to a T or not, they're quite a solid band.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hor ... 3540301705
http://www.facebook.com/HorrendousDeathMetal

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:25 am 

shouvince wrote:
Soalia wrote:
For example:

or

People mentioned Ataraxy and other bands...you can check out the new album by Horrendous. Some bits range from slow to mid-tempo and some have more OSDM leanings. Whether they fit your description to a T or not, they're quite a solid band.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hor ... 3540301705
http://www.facebook.com/HorrendousDeathMetal

http://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-chills

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:08 pm 

^ hellyes! Definitely in my top 10 albums of 2012.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:18 pm 

I didn't care for The Chills. I've revisited it a couple of times due to the ever-present love for the album I read here and there, but it doesn't do it for me. Nope...not as of yet.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:47 am 

Same.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:24 pm 

Does anyone know any bands that mix death metal with noise in some way, shape or form? Note that I know what death/grind is and it's definitely not what I'm looking for unless you can find me a noisegrind/DM band; nor am I looking for something that sounds like Mitochondrion - ideally the band I'm looking for will integrate feedback and dissonant harshness into their sound without it dominating the riff-writing methods at work. Besides, Mitochondrion isn't really harsh enough for what I'm seeking right now, so if it does sound like them it better be pretty fucking grating music. Thanks in advance.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:33 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Does anyone know any bands that mix death metal with noise in some way, shape or form? Note that I know what death/grind is and it's definitely not what I'm looking for unless you can find me a noisegrind/DM band; nor am I looking for something that sounds like Mitochondrion - ideally the band I'm looking for will integrate feedback and dissonant harshness into their sound without it dominating the riff-writing methods at work. Besides, Mitochondrion isn't really harsh enough for what I'm seeking right now, so if it does sound like them it better be pretty fucking grating music. Thanks in advance.

Considering this my 'bump' because this interests me. I don't have any recs either, but basically you seem to be looking for something that I'd like as well. My issue with a lot 'noisegrind' is that (i might be completely ignorant here) behind all the distortion and fuzz the riffs seem pretty basic and punkish; a lot of them seem to just try to push the limits of extremity as far as they can go. I like death metal, and from what I've heard of noise (using merzbow as an example) I like it too; the harsh noise has discernable pattern and form; sure it's noisy and abrasive but I can actually pick interesting things out of it.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:05 am 

Maybe these bands have some elements that you find interesting.

Grave Miasma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwnvSTZOnzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GOs92bYO5w

Portal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FA-m0C_iI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5zWBVQXHg

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:10 am 

Portal are already one of my favourite bands of all time, but they're not really what I'm looking for and I was hoping that that'd be implied with my dismissal of Mitochondrion. I'll check out Grave Miasma in just a minute.

EDIT: Grave Miasma were cool, but not "noisy" in the way I was thinking at all. I'm trying to find something like death metal with dense walls or bursts of raw static feedback integrated into the music.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:05 pm 

MalignantThrone, check out Trinacria's Travel Now Journey Infinitely, but I fear that'll be too melodic for what you're after.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:26 pm 

Is there any albums/bands out there, that plays music similar to that on The Monolith Deathcult's "Trivmvirate"? Atmospheric, industrial death metal that manages to be both epic and brutal.. and please don't rec The Project Hate, can't stand them.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 289  Next