Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:41 pm 

Anyone care to elaborate on how bad the Necrophobic "Nocturnal Silence" current CD edition on Hammerheart is? Original pressings of the CD aren't too easy to find for less than $50 right now.

WorldDecay
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:08 am 

cvac wrote:
Anyone care to elaborate on how bad the Necrophobic "Nocturnal Silence" current CD edition on Hammerheart is? Original pressings of the CD aren't too easy to find for less than $50 right now.

I just received the Hammerheart release. Would be glad to do some comparisons if someone has the original.

The Priest remasters seem to be good according to the past two pages. Anyone has any comments regarding the 2001 (Columbia?) remasters, especially for 'Unleashed in the East'? Or are all remastered versions the same?

lemonlikesmetal wrote:
I've put off expanding my Black Sabbath collection simply because there are so many different versions around and i want to know which sound good or not. Too much choice is sometimes a bad bad thing.

Yeah Sabbath purchases are highly annoying..would be great if we could collectively come up with some form of objective comparison chart/table

celt14 wrote:
...Also, the remasters of the first six Black Sabbath albums and the first two with Dio by Sancuary records are awesome remasters. Better than the black box remasters. I would say there are GOOD remasters out there, but unfortunately there are shitty remasters as well. You just gotta do some research.

Dark_Gnat wrote:
...I've narrowed it down to either the '96 Castle remasters, or the new ones from Sanctuary....

Are the mentioned sanctuary remasters the 2004 ones?

Also, anyone has info regarding Watain remasters (Casus Luciferi and Rabid Deaths Curse) Are the Drakkar and SOM RMs the same

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:57 am 

cvac wrote:

Did they really remaster that?? The original production was perfect (imo). Fuck remasters.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:01 pm 

Rodman wrote:
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd love a remastering of Breeding the Spawn.

This, please. I don't have any complain about the sound in any of their other albums, but that one could have been much better, and certainly deserved to be.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:47 pm 

Is it me or the remastering of In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend is too "crispy"? I wouldn't say it has clipping but it does seem like it's borderline on it, and it's really loud. Is the original master any different?

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 pm 

Southern Lord did a very good remaster of Dopesmoker. It's not better or worse, but different (not sure if it was also remixed) and definitely worth listening to.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:04 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Tezcat wrote:
Iron Maiden's remastered versions make the albums sound more powerful, the guitars sound very strong and the drum sound is better, IMO; Desultory's remastered versions sound more powerful too...

I disagree. The '80s Iron Maiden CDs are very, very good. The 1986 Japanese CD of Powerslave (slightly different from the original US version) is much better than the remaster and perhaps the best-sounding CD I have ever heard, and the remaster of Somewhere in Time utterly butchers the sound of the album to the point of being a wall of noise.

In what way is the Japanese version different? Aside from the S/T all of my Iron Maiden albums are original CDs, and to be honest I always thought Somewhere in Time sounded the weakest of the first six Birch albums. The guitar tone is admittedly massive-sexy-smooth, but the rhythm section always felt kind of distant and subdued and Bruce has a bit more reverb than I'd like. If the Japanese version fixed any of that I need to check it out.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4