Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:19 am 

I'm doing it without umbrellas (or raincoats for that matter). No genre dividing at all, which makes it so hard. No, just a top-ten regardless of genre.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:43 am 

I've updated my list, I'm at 122 albums but there are a few I didn't add because I haven't listened to them enough to really form an opinion on where they belong. Not sure if I'm doing a top 10 this year... I did a top 15 last year so I'm thinking of making a top 13 to compromise.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:17 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
Question: are you using an umbrella of 'death metal'; leaving out certain genres; or including some you may not otherwise have? For example, I'm not sure if I'll include strict genres like 'grindcore' but probably will include anything with 'death' in the genre and also BDM, slam, and perhaps death/doom. I won't be including melo death, or black metal. Curious what others are doing...

Gosh, no. Just a regular top 10.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:30 am 

Just a top 10 albums of the year. Breaking up genres is probably not worth it for a single year. Mine is at 14 at this stage, with 15 more that are very likely to take spots on the list after one listen each.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:27 am 

New Beheaded is sounding intriguing. Maybe a slight hint of the brutal melodic death that Kronos play?

Ominous Bloodline was fantastic so I've been looking forward to this. Hope it measures up.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:54 pm 

I just got the new Creator. It's surprisingly good, much better than Hordes of Chaos.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 pm 

Cloud0129 wrote:
I just got the new Creator. It's surprisingly good, much better than Hordes of Chaos.

Never heard of them.

I've been listening to the new Ragnarok called Malediction. It's pretty damn awesome, very trad Norwegian bm done the right way. I'm seeing them this week.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:21 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Cloud0129 wrote:

Never heard of them.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to Kreator. :)

Links to my online presence

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 am 

Really enjoying Grand Supreme Blood Court's debut so far.

TsarStangra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:10 pm 

A lot of good stuff was released this year

Asphyx - Deathammer (a mind blowing masterpiece and many agree on this one)
Fjorsvartnir - Legions Of The North (For fans of old Enslaved, old Satyricon, old Emperor,etc.)
Ketzer - Endzeit Metropolis (I discovered this band this year and it kicks some serious asses)
Overkill - The Electric Age
Striker - Armed To The Teeth

I now wait to receive the new Munruthel cd but didn't hear yet entirely yet.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:19 pm 

Downfall Of Gaia - Suffocating in the Swarm of Cranes

Post-Rock influenced Sludge Metal combined seamlessly with Atmospheric Black Metal. The music ranges from soft post rock passages to full on blast sections and the drummer does an awesome job with the way he switches styles. The vocals are delivered in hoarse screams/blackened shrieks.
A really wonderful album that deserves a lot more attention

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:22 pm 

csehszlovakze wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Never heard of them.

What gave it away?

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:29 pm 

Cloud0129 wrote:

It's a bit too melodic for my tastes, I was let down a bit. I should've listened to more songs before I bought the CD...

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:39 pm 

Bow Down Before The Blood Court is already among my favorites, as well. I'm surprised by this to a degree. Somehow, this band manages to stay true in many ways to an excellent, proven formula yet manages to keep the riffing and songs interesting, catchy, and very headbangable. I really like the tempos used and the fact the guitars are crunchy as hell but still remain a cohesive part of another great Dan Swano production effort. Great job and my expectations have been pleasantly exceeded.

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:28 pm 

TsarStangra wrote:
A lot of good stuff was released this year

Asphyx - Deathammer (a mind blowing masterpiece and many agree on this one)
Fjorsvartnir - Legions Of The North (For fans of old Enslaved, old Satyricon, old Emperor,etc.)
Ketzer - Endzeit Metropolis (I discovered this band this year and it kicks some serious asses)
Overkill - The Electric Age
Striker - Armed To The Teeth

I now wait to receive the new Munruthel cd but didn't hear yet entirely yet.

Checked out Ketzer, kickass black thrash and also checking out the Fjorsvartnir which i have seen a couple of times on youtube but never sat and listened to it, it seems like a grower to me.

As for the new Munruthel, it has some great songs and some not so great, needed more metal and less orchestral keyboards.

Other than that I think that one of my new favorites this year is the new Wolfhetan - Was Der Tag Nicht Ahnt, it is completely different from the first album which is more standard Black Metal while this one is more post/progressive black metal, it took me awhile to register that he is also the bass player of Surturs Lohe. Btw the bass is the highlight of the album

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:04 am 

Timor et Tremor - Upon Bleak Grey Fields
Very good Pagan Black Metal. Melodic yet aggressive riffing, intense drumming, very good harsh and okay-ish clean vocals.
This album does some serious ass kicking.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:40 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Timor et Tremor - Upon Bleak Grey Fields
Very good Pagan Black Metal. Melodic yet aggressive riffing, intense drumming, very good harsh and okay-ish clean vocals.
This album does some serious ass kicking.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Listening now and this is fucking great so far. Could be in my top 5 of the year if it holds up.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:13 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
But as for something that I am going nuts over, Monolithe III is giving me parapism, it's something unlike anything in the funeral doom scene. It's like funeral doom with ADD, it just burns through riffs, I swear the first 12 minutes has at least 40 riff changes, and it doesn't let up til about the 35 minute mark. It's insane, I've never heard such densely packed doom as the first half our of this, jumping from rolling droning, the swaggering death doom, to melodic leads, to clunky tremolos, to atmospheric keys, the solos, to random piano breaks, to grooving tom rolls all crazy unending waves of riffage, hell even when a riff does last for more than 15 seconds a new instrument or a new keyboard harmony or lead guitar lick is added every few bars, it's absolutely relentless. This album has more going on in it than any funeral doom album ever made, hell it has more things going on than any doom album regardless of styling, it's amazing. At around 35 minutes there is a bit more of a traditional bit for four or so minutes with only two or three major riffs, then at 42 minutes you get an actually break from the metal with some ambiance for twenty seconds, and from about the 47 minute mark it gets a bit traditional again for the closing. And that's pretty much it for breathers on this album. Seriously, I've never even imagined a funeral doom band that would keep up the riffing and ideas for thirty five sustained minutes and only use ambiance for twenty seconds in a fifty two minute album, it's insane. And you'd think there would be no atmosphere here, but no, this thing can be dark and brooding, beautiful, and in the case of a lead melody based period around the 22-25 minute mark it can be downright triumphant. But who cares about moodiness, this is a funeral doom album that is all about riffs, and I've never heard anything as full of them as this, any ten minute period on this album has more riffs than the entire new Elysian Blaze, it's fucking incredible.

Currently listening to this for the second time, and it's kicking my ass. I'm not much of a funeral doom fan outside of Ahab, but this shit never lets up. More people need to check this out

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:56 pm 

I'm really enjoying Abraham - The Serpent, The Prophet & The Whore. It's sludge metal with a amazingly dark atmosphere and excellent songwriting. They remind me of a heavier, faster, and darker Cult of Luna. The production is also superb.

altered_vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:02 pm 

Any good trad.(?) doom albums this year (apart from Hour of 13 - 333 and Black Pyramid's - II)?

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:57 pm 

XSpidercideX wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Listening now and this is fucking great so far. Could be in my top 5 of the year if it holds up.

:lol: Just spreading the word man, glad somebody else likes it.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:42 pm 

the new Maveth album is sounding fucking sick at the moment, only one listen through but it was a dark, crushing experience. awesome stuff

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 pm 

The new album from Ad Patres is really kick-ass, surprisingly very similar to Lay Down Rotten, but not as melodic as LDR. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR1ZjFCP ... re=related
I also managed to listen to Grand Supreme Blood Court's new album, and indeed it is a force to reckon with.... again ! High Similarity to Hail Of Bullets and ofcourse Asphyx, but fuck it, Van Drunen will never disappoint, no matter how many side projects he'll launch :)

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 pm 

My problem is that late and early year albums always blend into one for me...

Need to check out the new Anaal Nathrakh, but I'm really liking the unreleased Kylesa stuff. New Baroness was balls though, and not just because I hyped myself too much for it.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:57 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Just a top 10 albums of the year. Breaking up genres is probably not worth it for a single year. Mine is at 14 at this stage, with 15 more that are very likely to take spots on the list after one listen each.

I'm putting together a top 10 too... something I've enjoyed doing for the past 10 years or so... finding it easier than recent years tho... the majority of releases I was looking forward to in 2012 either were a let down or didn't see the light of day...

Gathering the 10 shouldn't be that much of a challenge... the order might not be so easy tho... I'm don't break it into genre's either... don't even restrict my list to 'metal' releases...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:40 am 

My current top ten has two non metal releases in it, but I'm keeping them there because they're either closely tied to the metal scene or most metal fans would most likely enjoy them. Otherwise I keep my top lists metal exclusive and then mention the good non metal separately (since that isn't my area of expertise).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 am 

Listened to Monolithe III because of the unanimous praise. While it's a good album, I don't think it's THAT good. It's tied with Monolithe I as their best release, while keeping all the problems they've always had (it's really hard to write a song that long and be interesting for the whole thing, boring vocals that might as well not be there, etc). They've improved their lead tone and sure as hell wrote a lot of parts, but it hasn't really GRABBED me.
Also, Orden Ogan's album rapes. Screw the naysayers.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 am 

Well the vocals are basically not there, there are like five passages with vocals on the whole album. And I would say the three thousand riffs on the album easily make the 52 minute runtime pretty acceptable.

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm 

Barra Xul's debut starts where Cephalectomy stopped, and is absolutely awesome.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm 

New Incantation seems pretty decent.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:57 pm 

I love Monolithe. If Ahab is nautical funeral doom, they're like outer space funeral doom.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:56 am 

Crowned - Vacuous Spectral Silence
the debut release from the Australian black metal band after an impressive EP last year

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:29 am 

Just heard the new Cannibal Corpse. One of their best and one of the most exciting releases of 2012.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:07 am 

I found it boring.as hell myself. Fisher's voice seems to be deteriorating and the band is so hinged on being an singular entertaining unit one dodgy part makes the whole thing fall apart.

MaelstromMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 am 

altered_vlad wrote:
Any good trad.(?) doom albums this year (apart from Hour of 13 - 333 and Black Pyramid's - II)?

I think you would enjoy Beg upon the light by Venomous Maximus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpE-jy4yZM

King Giant's Dismal Hollow is another 'stoner' type album that impressed me earlier this year, I love the singer's Danzig-ish vocal style - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge0ZKZQo3oU

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:16 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Never heard of them.

csehszlovakze wrote:

Metal_Detector wrote:
What gave it away?

LOL!

Ok, I think I'll try to do a Top 10 of the year too even if I didn't have much time to regularly listen to much music in this shitty year.
P.S: Will we open a new thread for this at the end of the year or will we use this one as the time comes close?

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Ok, I think I'll try to do a Top 10 of the year too even if I didn't have much time to regularly listen to much music in this shitty year.
P.S: Will we open a new thread for this at the end of the year or will we use this one as the time comes close?

We've done a Top 10 of the year thread before, where everyone submitted their top albums for the year to one user and he assigned point values to them. I believe it had a ranking of all the albums though, so there were many albums that only one user submitted.

It spawned some great discussion and was a good thread to find even more music I hadn't discovered yet. Unfortunately it produced a bit of nasty discourse as well. It also produced some ridiculous smugness from people who felt it a good sign that most/none of the albums they liked were in the top 10. If we could avoid the flaming and smugness, I'd definitely be interested in that format again.

If we don't go that route, I'd still like to see a separate Top 10 thread along with reasoning for each member's picks. I can't stand standard listing threads, as it doesn't really spawn much good discussion (and MA prohibits these). Either way, I'd personally enjoy a Top 10 thread again, as I believe that would encourage more people to participate and ultimately lead many of us to albums we haven't discovered yet.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:14 am 

Tod_Im_Juni wrote:
Just heard the new Cannibal Corpse. One of their best and one of the most exciting releases of 2012.

Yeah, Torture is one hell of an album. Their best since Gore Obsessed.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:25 am 

In no particular order:
Orange Goblin - A Eulogy for the Damned
Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65
Ahab - The Giant
Alcest - Les Voyages De L'âme
Barren Earth - The Devil's Resolve
In Mourning - The Weight of Oceans
Hour of 13 - 333
Melvins - Freak Puke
Evoken - Atra Mors
Tiamat - The Scarred People
Asphyx - Deathhammer
Grave - Endless Procession of Souls
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:09 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
In no particular order:
Orange Goblin - A Eulogy for the Damned
Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65

I agree, both were excellent albums, I still listen to the latest Saint Vitus almost every week, it just a great album from a wonderful band. Orange Goblin new album was really good, I just got into this band this year because of this album (I recently checked out their early albums) but this album is among my favorites from them.

I did enjoy the new High On Fire, Rush, Witchcraft, Down EP, Neurosis, Corrosion of Conformity, and the new Soundarden as well. I know that some people hated the new Sword album, but I rather enjoyed it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next