Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:48 pm 

Lunar Aurora announced that they will no longer continue the band.

Quote:
Dear friends,

it has always been clear that also LUNAR AURORA will end some day. And this autumn we felt that it is time to lay the band to rest. We came to that decision for various reasons, the two following may be the most significant. On one hand our imaginations of future musical projects are difficult to reconcile with LUNAR AURORA, on the other hand we feel that LUNAR AURORA is out of tune with these times. We have never been people that speechify, so we won't make a big deal out of that, either.

It have been 18 great years and for that we want to say a big "THANK YOU!" to the people who have been with us during those years. Especially the fans as well as the bands we played with or did projects with. Not to forget the magazines, distributors, concert promoters, without whom publicity would not have been possible. Our label partners Frank Stöver, Andreas Lacher and Tom Wahl we owe deep thankfulness for their energy and trust.

With deep gratefulness we think of our bandmates Sindar, Nathaniel, Profanatitas, Biil, Skoarth and Bernhard Klepper for all they did for LUNAR AURORA with great dedication.

Although there won't be a new LUNAR AURORA album anymore, we will make sure that the long out of stock albums "... of stargates...", "Elixir of Sorrow" and "A haudiga Fluag" will be available through COLD DIMENSIONS within the next 1-2 years.

Until we meet again...

This sucks. I was currently getting into this band and I love their debut and pretty much everything else I heard from them till now.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:52 pm 

I liked the last album much more than Andach. Shame.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:25 pm 

o_O NOOOOO! I wanted them to go on and do more great things in the vein of Hoagascht!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:30 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
o_O NOOOOO! I wanted them to go on and do more great things in the vein of Hoagascht!

One thing I thought while listening to Hoagsacht was that there's only so much one can do in that style. I suppose it's something a musician is quick to think of - as a songwriter, inspiration is a constant concern to me - and an innovative songwriter could've continued in that vein, but the basic ideas were executed in a relatively simple fashion, leaving little unexplored territories in the style of Im Gartn, Nachteule and Håbergoaß.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:33 pm 

I wanted another "Sterna". :(

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:15 pm 

Well. Fuck. Lunar Aurora has been one of my favorite bands since I blindly bought Weltenganger in whichever year Mercenary reissued it (2000? 2001?). The album art made that impulse pretty easy to give into, and man, did the music ever live up to my expectations. Surpassed them, actually. Each succeeding album of theirs that I tracked down and snapped up did more and more to deepen my impression that they were really something special and powerful. While it's never simple or easy to decipher an artist's intentions, I can't imagine that any LA album fell short of whatever visions Aran and co. had for it. Elixir is demented, Mond is cold and black as pitch, Andacht is about as massive and dense as it gets; and what I suppose is now their swan song is one of the most sublime and "pretty" black metal albums I've heard.

In a weird coincidence, just last night I decided to go back and listen to their entire discography over the next week or so. I listened to Weltenganger for the first time in a couple years, wrongly having assumed that it was the LA disc with the least to offer (compared to all the majesty that came afterward). I was quite wrong about that, and have yet to move onto their second album because I keep replaying the debut. Amazing band with songs that never get old. And I guess if you're gonna go out on a high note, Hoagascht is pitch perfect.

But still. Fuck.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:58 pm 

A damn shame, but at least the guys have the dignity to accept it's time to lay the band to rest. It's the best thing to do if they feel so. Definitely better than going through the motions and/or tarnishing their legacy.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:42 pm 

This is sad news indeed. I didn't see this coming, as they seemed to be full of creativity after their recent re-emergence. But the good news is that those sold out albums will again be available in the next couple years.

Well, hopefully the guys will resurface in other BM or even ambient bands. Lunar Aurora was definitely one of the best symphonic/ambient BM bands in history.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:38 pm 

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Damn it, their last two albums have been my favorite black metal albums. Hoagascht is my album of the year. This sucks.

I just got my first Lunar Aurora T-shirt in the mail too.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:40 pm 

Sad news indeed. Lunar Aurora had some great releases including the last album, but Andacht remains their crowning glory imo. Such an epic and dark sounding release, love the guitar tone the most on this one. At least they want out on a high.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:50 pm 

Good to know about the reissue of the out of print records, at least. Never found a copy of ...Stargates... for a decent price in years. This still blows hard, though :(
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 pm 

Yeah, I read this yesterday. Andacht is probably one of my favorite BM albums of all time. And I have recently had Hoagascht on heavy rotation for a good two weeks now. Its easily one of the best BM releases this year along with Mgla's and Rahu's releases.

XSpidercideX wrote:

May I ask which one and where? I actually would really like to purchase one myself. Thanks.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:40 pm 

Horace Bones wrote:
Yeah, I read this yesterday. Andacht is probably one of my favorite BM albums of all time. And I have recently had Hoagascht on heavy rotation for a good two weeks now. Its easily one of the best BM releases this year along with Mgla's and Rahu's releases.

XSpidercideX wrote:

May I ask which one and where? I actually would really like to purchase one myself. Thanks.

Sure: http://cold-dimensions.de/ links to the shop http://www.grau.cd/

Just click english. I used paypal. They were great, took about 2 weeks from Germany. May want to buy with other things in bulk to offset shipping cost, I got two of Lunar Aurora's cds with my order. They have two shirts available, a black one and the Hoagascht one. I bought the black one, but I'm thinking about getting the Hoagascht one too.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:27 pm 

Cool... thanks man!

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:39 pm 

I'm still looking for the awesome Mond longsleeve. It's very rare and hasn't been in print since the album came out. There's also a cool one that Last Episode put out way back in the day.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:26 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Lunar Aurora announced that they will no longer continue the band.

That sucks but, at least, they have been a quite prolific band.
I have plenty of material to check out!

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 am 

A pity I've only found out about them now....

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:02 am 

This unfortunate yet respectable occurrence actually reminded me that I need to get around to picking up the last couple albums I don't have (the possible ones).

Sublime band. RIP, gone but not forgotten.
Death metal is eternal.

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:26 pm 

the only positive from this is the re-release of the out of print albums....been trying to get hold of ...Stargates for ages but no luck at a reasonable price. Surprising considering how impressive Hoagascht was but I guess at least they go out with their legacy untarnished

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:03 pm 

That sucks. They had such good things going for them after Hoagascht was released. Well, they have a rather large discography for a relatively unknown band, so I'd say they had a good run.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:23 am 

This is pretty weak. Whatever, they've left behind lots of quality material. I know this is a bit cliche, but Andacht is definitely my favourite.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:26 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
This is pretty weak. Whatever, they've left behind lots of quality material. I know this is a bit cliche, but Andacht is definitely my favourite.

I consider Andacht to be something of a blunder in their career. Of all times to discontinue the band, I wouldn't have imagined this to be it - following a the release of an excellent comeback album succeeding a moderate failure.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:52 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I consider Andacht to be something of a blunder in their career

It may not be as good as some suggest, i.e their best, but a blunder? o_O

They called it quits once before, so Hoagascht is a bonus :thumbsup:

mekhthecat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:14 am 

A real shame, these guys are one of my favorite BM bands. I love their entire disco except for "Of Stargates and Bloodstained Celestial Spheres" which I just couldn't get into. It always seemed like a step back for them...oh well...killer band nonetheless

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:07 pm 

This is disappointing news. I haven't listened to them for a while, might have to listen to some now. I really enjoyed "Mond" such a shame to see a solid band go.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:01 pm 

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Reply to topic