Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:23 pm 

Posting this in a new thread as the other post spans too many requests to be on topic. If this isn't allowed the mods can lock it.

Got a couple requests.

1)Looking for some good Post-Rock/Metal with good synths and guitars. Stuff like Caves of Glass is a prime example. Songs like Mariana at about 5:24 where the guitar and synth really kick in, or Barren Earth at about 5:29, but the entire songs are good of course and build ups are nice. Forgot to add that length shouldn't be overly long, about a 13 minute limit, and vocals aren't necessary but if they have it I won't mind.

2)I can't really label these next ones but stuff like the new Born Gold 1 2 and the bilinda butchers 1 2

3)Also I really like the general Black-Gaze/Post-Black sound so any regular request for similar stuff to Aves, Amesoeurs, Les Discrets, etc. You can check my last.fm to see which artists I already know of as I don't have that large a library. Also any good DSBM stuff that's a bit faster than the usual, like Psychonaut 4. I really like the pained screamed vocals, not just the usual howling in the background.

4)Also looking for some good Post-Rock that has good use of synths. Kind of like what I posted for Caves of Glass, just not "heavy". Prime examples are In Suspended Atmosphere 1 2 3 and what I guess Kid North is now doing at about the 3:53 mark. Vocals aren't really necessary but I don't mind them, as long as they're clean and not abrasive.

5)Also just found this little gem. Looking for more spoken word with very atmospheric music behind it, it's definitely a plus if the words intensify and not just a dull speech the whole time. This is totally something that makes a winter walk better.

6)Also looking for any good indie rock like this. Anything with layered vocals is nice, don't really know my indie that well.

7)These aren't really similar but looking for any good synthpop recommendations. Stuff like Glen Check or Capital Cities. Also not really versed in this genre so I can't explain it well.

8)I can't really describe this but I've seen this band described as “doomy blues” or "doom ballads". 1 2. I really like the vocals in this band but I can't really find any more samples.

9)I guess this is probably what you can label as "black-core". Black metal playing with clean vocals? Just listen

10)And fina-fucking-lly, looking for general death metal help. Anything with good vocals that are somewhat clear, not too guttural but still "deep". Anything from melo-death to brutal death

Last edited by ~Guest 224282 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:41 pm 

http://forgottenbackyard.bandcamp.com/a ... tic-angels maybe this?
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:46 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
http://forgottenbackyard.bandcamp.com/album/shattered-plastic-angels maybe this?

Woah, spooky stuff. I've never really been to into the dark ambient/industrial stuff. I was thinking more of something like We Made God's II where it's kind of like a speech with a really emotional voice, to the point where the speaker is yelling, but not in a sense of screaming like in black metal, and the music behind it be the same way, with a ambient start to a climactic build up, if that makes any sense. And I don't want the music to be too "heavy" nor too minimalist.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 am 

Garchomp4ever wrote:
Suffersystem wrote:
http://forgottenbackyard.bandcamp.com/album/shattered-plastic-angels maybe this?

Woah, spooky stuff. I've never really been to into the dark ambient/industrial stuff. I was thinking more of something like We Made God's II where it's kind of like a speech with a really emotional voice, to the point where the speaker is yelling, but not in a sense of screaming like in black metal, and the music behind it be the same way, with a ambient start to a climactic build up, if that makes any sense. And I don't want the music to be too "heavy" nor too minimalist.

that album is full of spoken word with ambient in the background, the first part of that first track (idr if the rest of the first track has any speech) is instrumental, so try out a few more songs, assuming you just checked out that first one :]
the guy talking gets really distressed and it's pretty convincing voice acting.

that link reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFxitMdpGvY 9:40-
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:37 am 

For Post-black, I couldn't see your lastfm but the first and very obvious rec that comes to mind is Alcest, since you didn't list them above. Another great band is Heretoir, but you might of heard of them too, since Fursy has done some artwork for them (one of my favorite of his pieces).

I wish I could help with the Post-rock/metal, but what I listen to is either guitar-centric and without keyboards (Codes in the Clouds) or much too Sludgy (Ocoai).

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 am 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
For Post-black, I couldn't see your lastfm but the first and very obvious rec that comes to mind is Alcest, since you didn't list them above. Another great band is Heretoir, but you might of heard of them too, since Fursy has done some artwork for them (one of my favorite of his pieces).

I wish I could help with the Post-rock/metal, but what I listen to is either guitar-centric and without keyboards (Codes in the Clouds) or much too Sludgy (Ocoai).

That's cool, I already know of Alcest, they're pretty much what everyone think exemplifies the genre, although I don't like them too much. I've heard of Heretoir but have yet to check them out, from samples they seem really good. And for some reason last.fm is bugging out a bit.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:54 am 

A couple recs(based on what I DON'T see in your Last.fm library):

Flourishing
Technical Death Metal meets Post-Rock.

The Angelic Process
Massive, hulking Post/Sludge/Doom/Shoegaze/Ambient stuff.

The Ash Eaters
Not sure what these guys would be classified as... Post Black Rock? Also might want to check out the previous incarnation of The Ash Eaters, Brown Jenkins

Ash Borer
Quality Post-Black Metal stuff.

Bosse-de-Nage
Personally, I can't stand this band, but you might enjoy them.

Wreck and Reference
Right up your alley.

Aetherial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:50 am 

Wolverine is a pretty good post-rock band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yYLaM5V ... plpp_video

Also check out Petrychor, quite impressive work :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYcu5Lm ... re=related

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:10 pm 

You might enjoy Sleepmakeswaves http://sleepmakeswaves.com/track/one-da ... my-fears-3
It might be a bit chunkier than the stuff you are looking for, though.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:56 am 

Thanks for all these recs guys, liking that sleepmakeswaves stuff. Also updated the OP with a fuckton of shit.

Reply to topic