Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:19 pm 

Yesterday I saw Skyfall. I give it 12/5.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:22 pm 

I should also announce that Godzilla vs Biollante is finally being released again in the US on DVD and Blu Ray. This film hasn't been released in America since early 90's. I'm super fucking excited for this because this is my favorite Godzilla film ever, it's not the best film, but it's my favorit.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:18 pm 

That's pretty cool, but the one I want released on Blu Ray or DVD is Godzilla 1985. That's always been my favorite, ever since I was a kid, and I only own it on VHS... with no VCR to play it on. =[ I understand that it's not a good movie, but so fucking what? Rerelease it!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm 

I'm about to watch Fritz the Cat again, for the second time - neither time has been aided by any psychoactive chemicals whatsoever, perhaps unfortunately. A truly fascinating, if incredibly bizarre film.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:24 pm 

Be sure to check out Heavy Traffic, if you haven't yet. It's even better.

A cryin' shame about Cool World, though. :ugh:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 pm 

@AS: My dad owns the comic. All hail Robert Crumb!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
That's pretty cool, but the one I want released on Blu Ray or DVD is Godzilla 1985. That's always been my favorite, ever since I was a kid, and I only own it on VHS... with no VCR to play it on. =[ I understand that it's not a good movie, but so fucking what? Rerelease it!

Oh there's been a fight over the years to get that re-released, especially since fans want a US release of the Orriginal Japanese version, Return of Godzilla. Some rumors, but nothing close to beingg reliable.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Keep in mind that Crumb had little to do with the of Fritz the Cat motion picture--characters aside, it was almost entirely Ralph Bakshi's creation. And what a creation it was.

Anyone see that supposedly-terrible studio mandated sequel, "The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat?"
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

ZombiHolocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:10 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Keep in mind that Crumb had little to do with the of Fritz the Cat motion picture--characters aside, it was almost entirely Ralph Bakshi's creation. And what a creation it was.

Anyone see that supposedly-terrible studio mandated sequel, "The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat?"

Actually dig it alot. One of those movie's where it's pointless attribute is THE point. A stoned Fritz just travels through different situations in his mind while his wife bitches at him. Fortunately (at least for me) lots of surprisingly funny gags laced with the countercultural and political social commentary, memorable scenes, and actually great dialog/acting elevate this film. It is a mess and wonders aimlessly to the pointless conclusion where Fritz is back where he started, but still fits in an almost nihilistic stoner way. Right before the film stumbles (as Fritz goes to Space), the Psychedelic 30's (!) tribute, is pretty cool, and the separate scenes and the overall "Fuck Off" attitude makes this an incredibly flawed grindhouse classic in my book.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:40 pm 

Aurone wrote:
Oh there's been a fight over the years to get that re-released, especially since fans want a US release of the Orriginal Japanese version, Return of Godzilla. Some rumors, but nothing close to beingg reliable.

Good to know it's being talked about at least. I seriously thought I was the only person in the world who liked this movie. Would be awesome to see the original version finally.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:54 am 

Watched Tucker and Dale VS Evil. Such a funny movie. I'm realizing that I really like films that play with horror tropes. It wasn't brilliant by any stretch, but there were moments that are so funny I couldn't stop laughing.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Watched Tucker and Dale VS Evil. Such a funny movie. I'm realizing that I really like films that play with horror tropes. It wasn't brilliant by any stretch, but there were moments that are so funny I couldn't stop laughing.

God I love that movie. You could tell that the film makers where wanting to Parody fish out of water stories like Deliverance and Texas Chainsaw, while at the same time showing love and respect for them. I think my favorite bit is the Chainsaw/Bees bit.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:25 am 

YES. Oh my god, that bit was just perfect.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:40 am 

Aurone wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

God I love that movie. You could tell that the film makers where wanting to Parody fish out of water stories like Deliverance and Texas Chainsaw, while at the same time showing love and respect for them. I think my favorite bit is the Chainsaw/Bees bit.
While I wouldn't say it's as good, you should check out Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. I'm hoping they remake it with Jim Carrey because I see area for improvement and I really dig the dark comedy he's done in the past. Plus it's got freakin' Hershel from The Walking Dead.

Aetherial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:53 am 

Has anyone seen Neil Marshall's The Descent? It's so badass it makes you squeeze your ass cheeks tight :)

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:38 am 

I have, but I dunno, I thought it kinda sucked ass. The usual boring modern horror movie.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:01 pm 

Skyfall:
So it turned out that Skyfall wasn't entirely Skyfail. Quite decent cinematography and well directed by Sam Mendes. This I say, relatively obviously. I feel its the best bond movie made and having Javier Bardem play a sinister villain added to the whole offering. The plot is a no brainer like the entire franchise but they did make the flow interesting for me to at least pay attention during the entire movie.

It's definitely worth a watch on the big screen if you have nothing else better to do.
Would rate it 7/10

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:14 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Grave Encounters - 4/5

On the one hand this is incredibly retarded, but on the other, I admire its devotion to balls-out, throat-ripping, pants-wetting horror, and it has a lot more going on than any Paranormal Activity movie, for whatever that's worth. This is a found footage horror movie that shoots itself in the foot in the first five minutes - literally, the guy at the beginning is like "there has been no editing to this; it is all real," and then five minutes later you get superimposed newspaper articles and video-clips telling the story of the haunted asylum the characters are going into, that obviously would have had to be edited in. Uh, hello? Were you even trying? The characters are all silly and kind of annoying at first, but once the ball gets rolling about 40 minutes in, you actually do want them to escape - they're shallow and money-hunting, but they become at least a little likable. And the scares are seriously good. This is basically the equivalent of a really grisly, mind-bending haunted house attraction. The mark of a good horror film is how far it takes its themes and how much it pushes its characters to the limits, and for that Grave Encounters is legit.

The Innkeepers - 2/5

This is a brilliant romantic comedy film, but a poor horror film. For character development and acting, I would give this a much higher score, but I think this was really trying its hand at being a horror film, which it fails at. Director Ti West gave us the brilliant House of the Devil a few years ago, but sadly this is just too haphazardly constructed and directionless to really work...I guess it's trying its hand at being an avant garde/satirical sort of thing that plays with your expectations, as at first it's legitimately a comedic light hearted film centering around two charming and quirky characters in a hotel. But the horror elements, involving a ghostly mistress haunting the halls, are not well done at all, feeling forced in, lazily written and overall pretty weakly done. At the end of the movie I was just scratching my head, because it didn't really make any sense. I'm all for ambiguity and for trying some new things, but you have to try harder than this.

Got some major differences in opinion here. I thought Grave Encounters was underwhelming at best and The Innkeepers as not too bad.

I thought the conceit of having the protagonists be a film crew for a reality show was a smart way to deal with the question that always pops up in found-footage movies - "why are people still filming?". I was enjoying the movie up to the point where everything went to hell and the ghosts showed up. Then I just couldn't take it seriously at all and any tension or atmosphere that it had built up just went away. I thought the idea that the actual asylum was fucking with them and preventing their escape, screwing with their perception of time, was much more disturbing than ghosts with silly makeup running at the camera and random objects flying about. I started laughing when Houston, the fake psychic, got pulled up midair and then thrown down the hallway. Seriously? If this is considered better than Paranormal Activity, then I can't imagine what utter turds those movies must be.

I agree with you more on The Innkeepers though I think The House of the Devil is complete garbage. Both movies suffered from similar problems (long buildup with little atmosphere or tension-building and bad payoff). Innkeepers at least had the relationship between Sarah Paxton and Pat Healy's character to keep us interested while we waited until bad things were about to happen. The last 20 minutes of it was pretty scary though, which I can't say for House.
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:05 pm 

Watch a few movies because of the incredible boredom consuming my soul these days.

Analyze This: Been a while since I've seen a De Niro movie. As he's one of my favourite actors, I figured it was about time. This movie was quite funny, but never rose above hearty chuckle into hilarity at any moment. De Niro plays a role that should be familiar by now, scowling gangster, but with some added humour and a relatively good approximation of panic attacks. It moves at a brisk pace, but I kind of felt like the ending was a big let down.

Chinatown: Haven't seen this in years and it's much slower paced than I remembered. I felt my ADD kick in a few times. Still, Nicholson rules and this is really his vehicle. The plot slowly becoming more complex and convoluted is classic and the filming is beautiful. After developing Nicholson's character for two hours, the end is pretty devastating.

Glengarry Glen Ross: Super talky movie pulled off with aplomb. Awesome dialogue delivered by almost every character, which is great because the movie is comprised almost entirely of dialogue, having very few sets. It's hard to choose a stand out performance when everyone was so strong, but if there was a gun to my head, I would choose Jack Lemmon. He's almost TOO good and you genuinely feel bad for him.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:14 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
It's hard to choose a stand out performance when everyone was so strong, but if there was a gun to my head, I would choose Jack Lemmon. He's almost TOO good and you genuinely feel bad for him.

*nods his head off*

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:27 pm 

WTF, Necro actually likes good movies?

Something is definitely amiss today.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:54 pm 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
I thought the conceit of having the protagonists be a film crew for a reality show was a smart way to deal with the question that always pops up in found-footage movies - "why are people still filming?". I was enjoying the movie up to the point where everything went to hell and the ghosts showed up. Then I just couldn't take it seriously at all and any tension or atmosphere that it had built up just went away. I thought the idea that the actual asylum was fucking with them and preventing their escape, screwing with their perception of time, was much more disturbing than ghosts with silly makeup running at the camera and random objects flying about. I started laughing when Houston, the fake psychic, got pulled up midair and then thrown down the hallway. Seriously? If this is considered better than Paranormal Activity, then I can't imagine what utter turds those movies must be.

I agree with you more on The Innkeepers though I think The House of the Devil is complete garbage. Both movies suffered from similar problems (long buildup with little atmosphere or tension-building and bad payoff). Innkeepers at least had the relationship between Sarah Paxton and Pat Healy's character to keep us interested while we waited until bad things were about to happen. The last 20 minutes of it was pretty scary though, which I can't say for House.

Grave Encounters was as silly as any found footage movies, but it made up for it with really fun, over the top scares and energy. That moment you mentioned was probably the weakest of the scares, and the rest were actually pretty cool. It got a little too over the top at times, but mostly it kept the energy levels high and pushed its characters to the limits - that made it good for me.

The Innkeepers, though, yeah, great acting from the two leads and they had a believable relationship, but whoo boy did that shit about ghosts and haunted hotels suck. Totally rushed, phoned in, half-assed...clearly they didn't plan it much because it made no sense and was just shoved into the last 20 minutes randomly. House of the Devil, while a bit gimmicky upon a rewatching, at least had a consistent flow and felt natural with what it was doing.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:13 pm 

The Panic In Needle Park: what can I say about this movie? It's more of a character study than a plot driven film. Pacino is great as a despicable addict. Selfish, uncaring, directionless. But it's the woman who plays her girlfriend that ends up being compelling. She ends up being brought into his world of addictions, resorting to turning tricks to get her fix. There's lots of 70's slang and I enjoyed the feel and style of it but it was pretty fucking depressing. There are answers or resolution, only a look into the lives of two broken people.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:23 pm 

Good news on the Godzilla front: I found a region-free DVD of Godzilla 1985, the original Japanese version, with English subtitles! Obviously I've had to buy this from an overseas seller, but it's well worth it. Thank God for eBay. =D

Anyway, a movie review:

Defendor. This is a rather strange movie starring Woody Harrelson and (the smokin' hot) Kat Dennings. Harrelson plays a mentally-challenged guy who believes he is a superhero called Defendor, and he takes it upon himself to fight crime in a number of ridiculous and funny ways. Dennings plays a young prostitute whom he rescues from Casey Jones -- err, the guy who played Casey Jones in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It's a strange movie because, on one hand, it's an absurd comedy, but on the other hand it's a rather poignant drama about Harrelson's mental state and the history of the two main characters. This got pretty mixed reviews, but if you think it sounds entertaining, I recommend going ahead and watching it. I quite enjoyed it; Woody Harrelson's just too fun not to like it. Plus, Kat Dennings. @_@

Drahkarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:32 pm 

The Hunger Games, 4/10

I decided to give it a chance. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but wasn't very good either. Character development kinda sucked, and the ending was goddamn fucking TERRIBLE.

21 Jump Street, 8/10

I've always had a soft-spot for stupid comedies like this, and I found this one to be really enjoyable. I'd recommend checking it out to anyone who hasn't already.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:36 pm 

What Dreams May Come: Amazing movie. I'm sure it had flaws, but I can't think of what they were. The dialogue and acting was perfect. It looked beautiful, the story almost unmatched, and god damn if it didn't jerk some tears from me. Underrated as hell.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:07 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The Panic In Needle Park

Pacino is good in that flick and you can see why he got picked up for The Godfather afterwards, but man that film drags, or at least I thought so when I watched it. I of course blame my short attention span on the Internet. I did/do enjoy seeing the 'old' New York though.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:41 pm 

Don't know if I should post a short film here, but..... Has any of you watched Dirty Laundry? Because if not, you ought to. Really, you guys have no idea how happy this thing makes me.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:53 pm 

Better than either of the Punisher movies, but still quite bad.

If people wanna see Thomas Jane in something actually good, they should check out Bronwen Hughes's fantastic Stander.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 pm 

I don't know man, I really like that short film. It just manages to capture the setting of the comic and the character's nature so well..... Not to mention that Thomas Jane does an extremely good job as the Punisher.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:36 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
It's hard to choose a stand out performance when everyone was so strong, but if there was a gun to my head, I would choose Jack Lemmon. He's almost TOO good and you genuinely feel bad for him.

*nods his head off*

Yeah, Ol' Gil was on fire in that one. It works the way it does because it was a play that they just shot scene by scene. Not something that usually works, but in this case it did.

Last thing I watched that really made any sort of impact was Kill List. Now THAT was some brutal shit.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:12 pm 

Woke up at 2 this morning, decided to watch the entire band of brothers series on blu ray. Don't know why I couldn't sleep, but I do know that band of brothers is incredible.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:25 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Woke up at 2 this morning, decided to watch the entire band of brothers series on blu ray. Don't know why I couldn't sleep, but I do know that band of brothers is incredible.

Every time I watch it, I can't believe people actually did that. Too bad The Pacific didn't have the same kind of impact.

I watched The Campaign a couple days ago. Will Ferrell, Zack Whatsisfinakis. Utterly fucking hilarious movie. Ferrell is perfect. His somewhat juvenile style of humor really makes this one work.

I cannot WAIT for Lincoln, the upcoming Spielberg movie. There has never really been a true to life biopic of this guy. Like Major Winters, he was basically just a regular guy who, through raw intelligence, grit, and a kind of moral courage, rose to become a true American hero.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:27 am 

Insidious is a frustrating movie. It has short moments where it's actually effective, but all out together they make up maybe 10 minutes of the movie. Plus the ending is complete bullshit. Fucking modern horror movies man.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:49 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Insidious is a frustrating movie. It has short moments where it's actually effective, but all out together they make up maybe 10 minutes of the movie. Plus the ending is complete bullshit. Fucking modern horror movies man.

It's a hell of a lot better than most horror movies out there, both old and new. Why? Like you said, it actually has creepy scenes in it.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:45 am 

It has a few decent scares, but I'd have to agree that the ending is utter excrement; lets the whole movie down, and diminishes any atmosphere that was built up beforehand. There are far better modern supernatural horror moveis out there type out there; I'd recommend 'Dead Birds', 'The Haunting in Connecticut' and 'The New Daughter' (granted, that last one gets terrible reviews all the time, but it impressed me... possibly due to watching it at 4 am on my own, but, meh).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 pm 

The ending was the best part, totally dark and hopeless. It was a bit loopy and the characters weren't that memorable, but overall Insidious was a lot of fun and had some very creative bits in it. Lots of energy and style to it that made it enjoyable.

I did like The Haunting in Connecticut too though...that was a lot better than I thought it'd be.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:22 pm 

I agree with the others. I loved the build up in that movie, the way they establish the presence of a demon using suggestion (eg: this scene) was absolutely brilliant and creepy as fuck.
A good way to completely shit on that was
Spoiler: show
revealing him as what looks like a guy in black spandex with darth maul make-up, doing his manicure in his workshop to "tip toe through the tulips" like some corny slasher villain

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:47 pm 

Honestly pretty much every horror movie I can think of, even the good ones, has some big dumb problem that holds it back from being truly great. Jacob's Ladder is the only possible exception I can think of.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:25 pm 

The ending itself? Yeah awful, but that scene you put in spoilers BTK? That was one of my favorites. A great nod to the surrealism of the whole thing, and I'm not even a huge fan of forced juxtaposition either, but that worked on so many levels. The dolls, the weird grinding stone. There's so much there.

But, that being said, I've watched that movie a fair amount of times and I like it a lot.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367 ... 818  Next