Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 pm 

I came across something quite cool today in my Facebook feed. This gig poster for Omega Crom and Nylithia looks like the cover of an old science fiction novel!

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:54 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
What's with the mullet guys comments on there? After every comment, "yep, I have a mullet."

Cut the mullet!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:17 pm 

I just discovered a band called Genocrush Ferox and they definitely need some love round these parts. It's like a casual version of Rottrevore or Demillich with an utterly pretentious sounding name.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:24 pm 

iAm wrote:
I just discovered a band called Genocrush Ferox and they definitely need some love round these parts. It's like a casual version of Rottrevore or Demillich with an utterly pretentious sounding name.

They really do have a terrible band name, but fuck that was awesome. Thanks for that!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:36 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
TheStormIRide wrote:
What's with the mullet guys comments on there? After every comment, "yep, I have a mullet."

Cut the mullet!

That was... surreal.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:03 pm 

Rush is okay. I really like the debut, but I somehow never find myself listening to more of their stuff.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:31 pm 

That Genocrush Ferox band sounds good.

I've been getting into Hawkwind lately. What do you guys think is their best album? I've been really digging their debut.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:43 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
That Genocrush Ferox band sounds good.

I've been getting into Hawkwind lately. What do you guys think is their best album? I've been really digging their debut.

I find that out of the limited number of Hawkwind releases I've listened to, In Search of Space is my favourite. Maybe it's just how well all the songs flow together, but I always find myself coming back to it more than the others. Second to that, Doremi Fasol Latido is another favourite so definitely check out both of those when you have the time.

Edit: I should also add that my History 12 teacher is the one who got me to listen to In Search of Space in the first place. He even "warned" me, "Just don't let your parents know I told you to listen to them, I don't want to get into any trouble for telling one of my students to listen to acid-rock!" You gotta love a hippie-turned-teacher who recommends Hawkwind to one of his students. :-P

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:37 pm 

Just found this website called PuppyBeef.com. I thought it was hilarious. I guess it was because of the name of the website.

"Welcome to Puppy Beef, your online Premium Dog Meat Supermarket, where you can order your meat, and have it delivered in vacuum sealed freshness directly to your door. We provide top quality meat and stand by all our products.

For the last 9 years Puppy Beef has been the world's leading dog meat distributor. We have established a reputation for having only the highest quality dog meat products and dedicated customer service representatives. Because we only cater to a select group of people, we try to keep a close relationship with all of our customers.

This allows us to help you get the best quality dog meat for your budget, and ship it right to your front door. And after 9 years of business, you can now access our products and services online!"

You gotta be a cold-hearted bastard to eat a puppy.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:25 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
If the world were a fair place, Vektor records would be readily available for all of humanity.

Vektor are great, but they're not the godsends you all make them out to be. :roll:

As for that Arsis thing is that serious, congrats, he's going to make bank now and who knows he might come back to Arsis with some of the cash he's going to make for his job with the Mets. Its a shame I was beginning to enjoy some of their stuff.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:28 am 

Vektor...thrash metal....eww. Arsis....wanking crap....ew...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:30 am 

Veracs wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
If the world were a fair place, Vektor records would be readily available for all of humanity.

Vektor are great, but they're not the godsends you all make them out to be. :roll:

Speak for yourself Veracs. I couldn't like them more even if I wanted to.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Vektor...thrash metal....eww. Arsis....wanking crap....ew...

Empty comment, frog. You're better than this! Vektor are great, pffff

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 am 

Vektor aren't bad but they don't do a whole lot for me. I usually don't gel for just straight up fast technicality and whatnot.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 am 

I'd say they are much more than just "straight up fast technicality", but I'm extremely biased, so take what I say with an industrial-sized sodium tablet.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:40 am 

I dunno, Tony, XL. I mean, I like the thrash part of thrash metal...but I guess it's just lost its appeal to me. Maybe it's the sameness of the genre? Maybe it's because it's I dunno...too riff based. A lot like Arsis. Seems the point of the genre, and Arsis as well, is that they attempt to cram in as many moments of "thrash" as they can, and it just feels so sterile in like 90% of the stuff I've heard. There's only so much of the thrash chord structure and time signatures I can take. Vektor are neat, but neat is all I'll give them, I can never ever understand why so many people like legitimately praise thrash metal....it just seems so....one dimensional?

Maybe this is hella condescending, so I don't know. But, I think it's impossible for thrash to be art. I put it on the same level as deathcore, or gangster rap, or something of the sort. It's just angry music, that while fun....can never be taken seriously as anything other than venting/empty social commentary. Huh...I guess I'm saying that thrash is just...thrash, nothing more. BUT. I will say that a well placed thrash riff in any other genre of music is great!

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45 am 

Nah, Empy is wrong there. I mean, Vektor is technical, but more progressive in my opinion, these are very tasty riffs with good atmosphere.

Frog, it is condescending a bit, it seems to me that you never heard Black Future...Vektor is progressive thrash, they're not Warbringer. Listen to this particular part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8OU#t=537s

Thrash can be done with a lot of originality, see Mekong Delta, Voivod, etc...

I'm not a thrash fan even though Rust in Peace is perhaps my favorite album, but I <3 Vektor, they brought a lot of cool elements to their music and makes it hard to classify.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:48 am 

But then again, the definition of "art" is so very loose Frog..... I mean, what is art for you might be garbage for other people (not a big noise/drone fan here, for instance).

Sorry for the simplistic, empty comment. Guess I should retort later, when I'm..... Uh..... When my mental capabilities return fully.....

PS: What Tony said.....

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:56 am 

No, no. I'll check it out! That's why I didn't want to come off as an asshole. I don't know if my mind can be changed though, but I will go into it as open as possible.

Admittedly, that part was badass. :lol: but even then, it wasn't very thrashy and it's exactly the fact that it doesn't sound like thrash that makes it innovative. See what I mean? So, it seems that the genre is self-limiting naturally? I don't know if i'm being clear...I've had a very long day.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Last edited by PhilosophicalFrog on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:57 am 

I totally agree with Metantoine; Vektor is more or less a "progressive" thrash band in the way they try to write songs. That said, I absolutely hated Outer Isolation. I thought about trying to review it and I couldn't do it in good conscience because I couldn't listen to the record the whole way through. They have no sense of dynamics in song writing whatsoever. They have ideas and they want to make them work and be different from the pack, but what they churn out instead basically is one speed, way too long tracks with a vocalist that is extremely limited in either what he can or is willing to do. I respect them for trying to do something other than copy Exodus in this era but that's all I can give them. They need a producer willing to tell them to pare shit down and tighten up their song writing and in this era I don't think that will ever happen.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:59 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'd say they are much more than just "straight up fast technicality", but I'm extremely biased, so take what I say with an industrial-sized sodium tablet.

Of course they're complex and they write good songs. It's just that it doesn't have any real emotional pull for me...haven't listened to em much though, so who knows if I wake up in the mood someday.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:06 am 

Quote:
Admittedly, that part was badass. but even then, it wasn't very thrashy and it's exactly the fact that it doesn't sound like thrash that makes it innovative. See what I mean? So, it seems that the genre is self-limiting naturally? I don't know if i'm being clear...I've had a very long day.

Do you like Vital Remains? Did you ever listen to a Vital Remains song (say, most of them) and think to yourself, "Hey, this song might actually be better if, I dunno, they ended it 3 minutes ago?" If the answer is "Yes", you might not get into Vektor. If the answer is "no" you might actually find yourself enjoying Vektor.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:10 am 

:/ not a good sign for me. Vital Remains writes the same song twice in one song! Does Vektor do something similar or is it just long?

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:15 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
:/ not a good sign for me. Vital Remains writes the same song twice in one song! Does Vektor do something similar or is it just long?

Vektor just write long songs, not at all like how Vital Remains and Metallica circa-2003 write long songs. They follow a logical flow and do their thing exactly how they should. I also think Vektor is really good but gets sucked off just a little too much. I do believe that they (along with Skeletonwitch and Exmortus) really shouldn't be lumped in with "retro thrash", which I take to mean as a specific sound. Those three bands aren't Exodus/Anthrax/Kreator knockoffs in the slightest and really need to stop finding themselves grouped in with the hacks.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:24 am 

I mostly agree with Frog about thrash. It's by far my least favourite sub-genre. That said, Vektor are one of the exceptions. They rape.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:26 am 

Ok then, I will definitely check them out. May change my whole mind about thrash.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

If you ask me, they do something similar in terms of song structure. There's one speed, they stick to it, there's some solos in there, the guy barks the vocals the same exact time because he can only deliver them one way, and 8 minutes later you have a Vektor song. Like I said, they have ideas, they just have no idea how to arrange them. They're young and maybe down the line they'l make some adjustments and tighten things up but I think they probably won't and this is the finished product. I think anyone that's going to want Vektor is going to want them for what they do now rather than what they have the potential of doing.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

Ecliptik wrote:
slayerhatesusall wrote:

That was... surreal.

Man is a TOTAL GENIUS!

:grin:

My collection

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:13 am 

Not all Vital Remains songs went on for nauseatingly long times and had an overabundance of blast beats, early VR is much more varied and has a very strong old school feel about it compared to the garbage they wrote with that douchebag Benton. For what it is though some of the stuff on Dechristianize is great, that titletrack was meant for a pile up where the vocalist could give mic grabs to eager fans to sing the lyrics too. Amazing song.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:49 am 

Veracs wrote:
Not all Vital Remains songs went on for nauseatingly long times and had an overabundance of blast beats, early VR is much more varied and has a very strong old school feel about it compared to the garbage they wrote with that douchebag Benton. For what it is though some of the stuff on Dechristianize is great, that titletrack was meant for a pile up where the vocalist could give mic grabs to eager fans to sing the lyrics too. Amazing song.

It is true that pre-Benton Vital Remains is a lot superior to what they did afterwards. Really don't care for the overboard lead guitar on Dechristianize, or the vocals. However, in all fairness, they started the whole "Hey! Let's play the song twice in a row to make it longer"-dealie on Forever Underground already and Dawn of the Apocalypse was rife with it. Which is why Let Us Pray and Into Cold Darkness are much superior.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:03 am 

Vital Remains are alright. Dechristianize is cool but Icons of Evil is not quite as good due to Benton's vocals.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:21 am 

Ecliptik wrote:
slayerhatesusall wrote:

That was... surreal.

Is that the same guy who made a song called Suck a Cheetahs Dick and something about vultures flying united at 100MPH?!

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:49 am 

Poisonfume wrote:

Is that the same guy who made a song called Suck a Cheetahs Dick and something about vultures flying united at 100MPH?!

Yep, he also wrote a song about Morbid angel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWE22W_SZjM

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:56 am 

Due to all the mentions of Vektor decided to listen to the black future cd after not even listening to any metal for over a month due to being burnt out on it. It held up very well, still sounds awesome, plenty of enough interesting sections and melodies to keep it interesting throughout the entire long duration of the album. The 10 minute+ songs are especially great.

Unrelated, the headache I had that was driving me insane for 5 days in a row all day long is almost gone, it seems the claritin I was taking was drying me out really bad and giving me a sinus headache. Haven't taken it for 2 days and the headache almost has disappeared completely.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:42 am 

@Frog: What do you mean by "thrashiness" anyways? Thrash metal connects seamlessly with various genres of extreme metal. Surely you cannot hate death/thrash metal, speed/thrash metal, black/thrash metal, crossover/thrash etc. the same way. Also: How can it be an artistically worthless genre if it basically spawned those other genres (except speed metal 'course) in the first place (or: where would we be without Slayer?). Or do you just not like "pure" thrash metal? Then can someone please tell me what that is?

slayerhatesusall wrote:
Yep, he also wrote a song about Morbid angel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWE22W_SZjM

I... I think I've become a fan just now.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:04 am 

So most of my friends are into Black Metal now... and one kid in particular keeps getting all the dubstep losers into it. So, fuck Black Metal. It's all about Dungeon Synth and Military Pop now.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:11 am 

inhumanist wrote:
@Frog: What do you mean by "thrashiness" anyways? Thrash metal connects seamlessly with various genres of extreme metal. Surely you cannot hate death/thrash metal, speed/thrash metal, black/thrash metal, crossover/thrash etc. the same way. Also: How can it be an artistically worthless genre if it basically spawned those other genres in the first place (or: where would we be without Slayer?). Or do you just not like "pure" thrash metal? Then can someone please tell me what that is?

Quite a coincidence regarding this topic. It's a little difficult to get into this chain of conversations coz I wasn't following it intently on this thread, but I'm just sharing this video of an interview of Dagon (Inquisition). He talks about thraaaash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHAp5xWdIgI

Watch till 2:25

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:20 am 

iAm wrote:
So most of my friends are into Black Metal now... and one kid in particular keeps getting all the dubstep losers into it. So, fuck Black Metal. It's all about Dungeon Synth and Military Pop now.

Dungeon synth always struck me as the new pretentious kvlt thing.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:43 am 

Military pop is pretty neat, though.

Metantoine wrote:

Speaking of which, everyone who still hasn't checked out Children should do so now.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Military pop is pretty neat, though.

Metantoine wrote:

Speaking of which, everyone who still hasn't checked out Children should do so now.

^ Holysmokes...that's quite awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh and this video of theirs is hilarious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jGssHWKV2I

Last edited by shouvince on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 678, 679, 680, 681, 682, 683, 684 ... 827  Next