Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:38 pm 

Before explaining, I just want to say "Friends of Hell" by Witchfinder General has to be mine as a whole, but "The Prince" from Diamond Head and "Motorbreath" from Metallica (throw in "Bottoms Up" from Acid to be safe) fills it out overall.

What I mean by this is a song that, to you, is that well done to the point every second is a pure eargasm. Everything has been done right. It's a song you could put on repeat all day long and never get tired of it. It has just the right speed, just the right riff, just the right heaviness, just the right lyrics (if any), just the right presentation, just the right everything. These songs have things you prefer to hear in metal songs.

My own preference for these things-

No hanging riffs. Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Electric Wizard, I love you guys, but I don't remember Black Sabbath hanging any riffs. (i.e. there's a note in the riff that sounds just slightly off from the rest and almost makes the whole riff sound incomplete or even dumb. Candlemass's "Solitude" has a hanging riff. These things piss me off.) Songs that are rifftastic and do them right, I rate high. Vein of "Vinum Sabbathi".

No awkward drum sections. Mob Rules, by Black Sabbath, is a great hard rock piece, but I just feel that the drums were butchered in that one. That's not to say bluesy-time signatures don't jive with me. Anything but.

Great speed or slowness. For each and every tempo, I have a desired sweet point. My absolute favorite is what Metallica pulled off in Motorbreath and Whiplash.

Keeping speed. I dub this 'thrash rocking', as a song where the whole thing doesn't slow down for too long (too long may mean 1 second). Highway Star ala Deep Purple, So It Goes by Nebula, and The Prince from Diamond Head are great examples.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:13 pm 

The Holy War by Thin Lizzy. Very catchy song from one of the best albums ever. A great song in the middle of a great record. The lyrics fit perfectly to the mood. "If God is in the heavens, why does God let children die?" I especially like the live version of it, where lyrics are a little bit fixed and bass is clearly hearable. Can't get it out of my head. Always have to listen it on highest possible volume.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:26 pm 

I know you put a lot of effort into your thread, but they're all vast and doesn't have a good central thread. Please, for the last time before you make me very angry, LURK and stop making threads.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.