Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 pm 

Queens of the Stone Age are going to be releasing a new album with Dave Grohl on drums in 2013. Can't wait for this. I don't like the Foo Fighters, but the man is a beast behind the kit. His performance on Songs for the Deaf is some of my favourite drumming of all time.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:07 pm 

Fuckin' sweet! I want a new Them Crooked Vultures too!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:36 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Queens of the Stone Age are going to be releasing a new album with Dave Grohl on drums in 2013. Can't wait for this. I don't like the Foo Fighters, but the man is a beast behind the kit. His performance on Songs for the Deaf is some of my favourite drumming of all time.

I love Songs for the Deaf so I might have to check this out when it comes out next year.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:47 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
As long as you don't end up with a job like mine. I work every weekend, most holidays and my current days off are Tuesday and Wednesday... The daily grind gets quite tiresome after a while, but, I guess that's why we have vacations.

I worked in a resturant and had weird ass hours. I would like more normal ones in a real job (pizza hut is a stop gap with any luck) but don't really mind working the strangest hours, but then it's not like I have a life or anyhting to revolve around.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:57 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
I worked in a resturant and had weird ass hours. I would like more normal ones in a real job (pizza hut is a stop gap with any luck) but don't really mind working the strangest hours, but then it's not like I have a life or anyhting to revolve around.

I worked two years doing a swing shift. It was a strange formula but the hours were 6-2, 2-10 or 10-6. I'd come off my weekend and work a PM (2-10), have 8 hours off, then go back in for an AM shift (6-2). The week would go PM, AM, PM, AM, PM. Occasionally you'd bounce into a midnight shift that would come on the heels of your regular days, so it would go PM, AM, Midnight, Midnight, Midnight. So you would end up working 2-10, 6-2 and then 10-6, or 24 hours in a 48 hour period. Sucks big time.

My newest job started me out on the midnight shift, 12-8. Was there for two years, with Tuesday and Wednesday nights off. Then I switched to second shift, 4-12, with Thursday and Friday off, and was there for two years. I'm finally back on to daylight hours, but I'm also back to Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. I guess it just comes with the job I do.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:57 pm 

but then it's not like I have a life or anyhting to revolve around.

Story of my life. But, even though I'm available anytime, no one seems to want to hire me. :(

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:03 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
I worked two years doing a swing shift. It was a strange formula but the hours were 6-2, 2-10 or 10-6. I'd come off my weekend and work a PM (2-10), have 8 hours off, then go back in for an AM shift (6-2). The week would go PM, AM, PM, AM, PM. Occasionally you'd bounce into a midnight shift that would come on the heels of your regular days, so it would go PM, AM, Midnight, Midnight, Midnight. So you would end up working 2-10, 6-2 and then 10-6, or 24 hours in a 48 hour period. Sucks big time.

My newest job started me out on the midnight shift, 12-8. Was there for two years, with Tuesday and Wednesday nights off. Then I switched to second shift, 4-12, with Thursday and Friday off, and was there for two years. I'm finally back on to daylight hours, but I'm also back to Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. I guess it just comes with the job I do.

Is the job at least enjoyable? I worked a job with ludicrous hours for about 8 months (9 p.m to 5 a.m.) and couldn't stand a single second of it, so I can't imagine how much it would suck to work those hours for such a long period of time and not even like your job. That'd be torture for me.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 pm 

Ecliptik wrote:
Is the job at least enjoyable? I worked a job with ludicrous hours for about 8 months (9 p.m to 5 a.m.) and couldn't stand a single second of it, so I can't imagine how much it would suck to work those hours for such a long period of time and not even like your job. That'd be torture for me.

I have one of those jobs that can go from nothing to pure adrenaline in a split second. Sometimes I love my job, other times I hate it with an undying passion. I guess it's those times that I love my job that keeps me around. Take today for example, a rather boring day dealing with car crashes all morning and then, bam, a guy starts screaming and shouting at his family, so they call for some help. Show up and the guy screams and shouts some nonsensical gibberish and produces a rather Rambo looking knife from beside his bed while I'm standing about 10 feet away. That sure made the day go a little faster!

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:18 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
I have one of those jobs that can go from nothing to pure adrenaline in a split second. Sometimes I love my job, other times I hate it with an undying passion. I guess it's those times that I love my job that keeps me around. Take today for example, a rather boring day dealing with car crashes all morning and then, bam, a guy starts screaming and shouting at his family, so they call for some help. Show up and the guy screams and shouts some nonsensical gibberish and produces a rather Rambo looking knife from beside his bed while I'm standing about 10 feet away. That sure made the day go a little faster!

Good god, that's insane. Mad respect for putting up with some of societies stupidest. :beer:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:27 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Fuckin' sweet! I want a new Them Crooked Vultures too!

Yeah, that would be cool. I think they should get a second guitar player/vocalist. It seems like Josh may spread himself a bit thin. Also, Them Crooked Vultures sound a bit to close to QOTSA, even though they don't sound the same. Vultures still has a similar sound, but seems to be more classic rock oriented.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:47 pm 

Eagles of death metal is still my favorite Josh Homme related band.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:00 am 

Mine is definitely Kyuss, they were definitely just as good as QOTSA, if not better. Welcome to Sky Valley (Kyuss) is pretty much a perfect album in my opinion.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 am 

Weird delivery story of the day: I delivered one stuffed pizza to a regular old house, nothing suspicious about it. A man who looked exactly like John Waters answered the door, wearing only a bathrobe. When I returned to my car, I noticed that every single light in the house had turned off. I'm not one to speculate, but I'm pretty sure he planned on fucking that pizza.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:17 am 

Kyuss were and are about a million times better than anything else Homme has been involved in.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:40 am 

surprised by how cool pets rats are. They smell a bit, but they're basically smaller dogs that are easier/more fun to mess around with. Less of the "I have autism!!!" vibe then cats/cat owners have too. Recommended!

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Kyuss were and are about a million times better than anything else Homme has been involved in.

truth

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:51 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Weird delivery story of the day: I delivered one stuffed pizza to a regular old house, nothing suspicious about it. A man who looked exactly like John Waters answered the door, wearing only a bathrobe. When I returned to my car, I noticed that every single light in the house had turned off. I'm not one to speculate, but I'm pretty sure he planned on fucking that pizza.

Write a goddamned novel already, you magnificent griot.
(I changed the original text to make it more phresh)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:09 am 

Anyone heard the Italian rendition of the Pokemon: Advanced Battles theme song before? I think we have a new forerunner for Best Children's Show Theme Song Ever. It seriously sounds like Rhapsody went a bit poppier and Fabio took voice lessons. Can't stop mashing the repeat button.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:01 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Anyone heard the Italian rendition of the Pokemon: Advanced Battles theme song before? I think we have a new forerunner for Best Children's Show Theme Song Ever. It seriously sounds like Rhapsody went a bit poppier and Fabio took voice lessons. Can't stop mashing the repeat button.

No, it sounds like an atrocious Italian Eurovision song.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:17 am 

:finger:

You're wrong and it's awesome. That chorus could move mountains.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:10 am 

If someone makes a mistake writing a foreign language, why are people quick to point out it's wrong without helping to correct it, and writing what would make sense?
If your not prepared to help, maybe don't comment at all?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 am 

You're*

:-P

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:42 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:

yeah a lot of the time I would have to do evening shifts followed by dayshifts, being back home around midnight, being back in at 9. Three weekends in a row they put me on friday evening shifts and saturday double shifts (9 am until 10pm +however long it takes to clean and close the kitchen) There was only one other full time kitchen staff until the last week and a half i was there when my manager finally hired someone else. Going back there over christmas, hopefully we won't be so understaffed.

Anyway, shit hours, but just loved having money.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 pm 

Saw this amazing car today,

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:28 pm 

Maaaaaaaaan that SMH guy :lol:

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:31 pm 

Quote:
Maaaaaaaaan that SMH guy :lol:

It's a winning combination of high enthusiasm and low coherence.

...but enough about the last time I had rum.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:49 pm 

Every once in a while, I listen to a very popular and well known album and end up reminding myself that sometimes popular things are popular for a reason. Man Rust in Peace fucking rules.

I SPREAD DISEASE LIKE A DOOOOG
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:59 pm 

No his mind is not for rent
To any God or government...

Man Rush is cool. I was literally playing Moving Pictures like 2 or 3 times a day in my car back when I got it a few months ago...I burnt myself out on it so fast. But now that I've had a bit of distance from it, it sounds good again.

Last edited by Empyreal on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:03 pm 

Rush is timeless. Can't go wrong with most of their stuff.

Obligatory Last FM Link

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:42 pm 

I've only heard 2112, Caress of Steel and Fly By Night. And I love all three.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:09 pm 

Gawddamned, I want to buy Vektor - Outer Isolation, but I can't seem to find a way to order it from their new label earache. Their old label has stopped existing, and the cheapest amazon copy is 24 Dollars.... :annoyed:

Oh yeah, and bigcartel has sold out on them to.

Last edited by henkkjelle on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:11 pm 

Quote:
Maaaaaaaaan that SMH guy

MOAR LIKE "THE SMDH" AMIRITE

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 pm 

Quote:
Gawddamned, I want to buy Vektor - Outer Isolation, but I can't seem to find a way to order it from their new label earache. Their old label has stopped existing, and the cheapest amazon copy is 24 Dollars.... :annoyed:

Oh yeah, and bigcartel has sold out on them to.

I don't think Earache have pressed any yet? I'd guess there's just going to be a while with none around.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:39 pm 

If the world were a fair place, Vektor records would be readily available for all of humanity.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:41 pm 

Please god let this not be a joke. James Malone quits his own band and decides to be a strength and conditioning coach for the Mets. It can't be real, the dude weighs like 90 pounds AND he battles anorexia.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:53 pm 

What's with the mullet guys comments on there? After every comment, "yep, I have a mullet."

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:56 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Please god let this not be a joke. James Malone quits his own band and decides to be a strength and conditioning coach for the Mets. It can't be real, the dude weighs like 90 pounds AND he battles anorexia.
An anorexic strength and conditioning coach. o_O And why the Mets, anyway? Does Virginia have no other team for him to work for?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:13 pm 

You must not follow baseball much. Virginia technically has the Washington Nationals, but half of the residents of the area are Yankees fans.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 pm 

Man this fellow could out-racist a South African. No surprise really as he is a Queenslander, rough lot those blokes are:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ ... 296dt.html

Also, it would be wonderful if in this day and age someone could come up with a digipack that, oh, you know, doesn't have the plastic part rip off the cardboardy part the first time you take the CD out. For some bizarre reason I think that would be quite nice and pleasant.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:12 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Every once in a while, I listen to a very popular and well known album and end up reminding myself that sometimes popular things are popular for a reason. Man Rust in Peace fucking rules.

I SPREAD DISEASE LIKE A DOOOOG

I always thought that album had, like, 3/4 good songs and a bunch of filler. Peace Sells... is the only really great Megadeth album. I probably like that album less and less as the years go on. Same deal with Painkiller, basically.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:20 pm 

Dawn Patrol is really the only track on RIP that I'd consider filler...
As far as their best, I've always maintained that So Far, So Good is almost criminally overlooked. Dave's most inebriated years really produced some of his best stuff.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 677, 678, 679, 680, 681, 682, 683 ... 827  Next