Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
_Valis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37 pm 

I've been looking for stuff of this nature for quite some time, and seem to be at a bit of a wall, hence why I'm asking for recommendations here. I'm looking for bands/artists that combine black metal, dark ambient, industrial, and noise, such as The Axis of Perdition and The Work Which Transforms God/MoRT era Blut Aus Nord. All four of those genres don't need to be present, but I'd like bands to touch on most of them at least. I'm looking for the material to have an atmosphere of urban, industrial decay (as opposed to the usual black metal locales of snow-covered forests and such), with the black metal sections being dissonant and chaotic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some examples of what I am looking for:

-The Axis of Perdition - Heaving Salvation in the Paradise of Rust
Easily one of my favorite songs of all time. The majority of it is somewhere in between dark ambient, industrial, and doom, until the ending throws itself into hyper-fast industrial black metal.

-Blut Aus Nord - Our Blessed Frozen Cells
The second best song off of the album (the first being the closer), showing both the chaotic, industrial influenced black metal they are known for, some of their dark ambient work, and the soaring, post-apocalyptic sections that punctuate the album.

-Gnaw Their Tongues - La mort dans toute son ineffable grandeur / Splendeur
An example of a band that tends more towards dark ambient, industrial and noise than black metal, but still incorporates elements of the latter. This is pitch black, industrial, and noisy, with the throbbing guitar acting as just another texture, until everything comes to a climax at the end.

-Nivathe - Veins of Death and Hunger
Anything that comes even close to these guys would be appreciated. It goes from an exceptionally brutal industrial-ish black/doom pounding into some noisy dark ambient, and then a weirder closing section that gives a wink and a nod towards The Axis of Perdition.

-P.H.O.B.O.S. - Necromegalopolis of Coprolites
While P.H.O.B.O.S.'s first two albums were pounding industrial-doom that sounded like a roid-raging Godflesh, with their latest one, they have found a truly unique sound, incorporating black metal elements into the mix and giving everything a heavy dark ambient wash. Probably the only thing I've heard that is comparable to Blut Aus Nord's MoRT.

-Nihill - Mundus Subterreanus

-Spektr - Phantom Reality

-Nahvalr - Chorus of Blasphemes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is enough information to give you an idea of what I'm looking for, and I'd greatly appreciate more material of this nature.
Emoticon beers as a thanks in advance: :beer:

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:25 am 

Well I adore that shit, check my band out,
The Sig is my first official release, my second is still in the works but you can listen to some of the unfinished tracks here
http://soundcloud.com/theevilsocky/sets ... hath-come/

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:33 am 

Black Vomit - Jungle Death

I've sung this little know UK band's praises a lot, but this album has really grown on me. It's strange, uncomfortable, moody, and yet some how inviting. Merging noise, ambient, black metal, krautrock, post rock and industrial- maybe it's for you. Not as dense, or thought out as Axis of Perdition, but I think you might find something you'll like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPUWIkbOoyc

then there's this album which i don't know too well, but maybe you'd like it too.

http://frequencythirteen.bandcamp.com/a ... -come-down

Locrain- Territories

very varied and wide ranging band. Based somewhere in black metal, they've gone to all spheres of influences- noise, ambient, drone, post-rock, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJOrDCke7g

Utarm - Minus the Divine
Noisy/ambient/drone black metal done exceptionally well. Nice balance between painfulness of noise and blissfullness of drone/black metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH6r236oB2Y

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:16 am 

Well right off the bat seeing Gnaw Their Tongues, you need to give these two Mories projects a listen:

Aderlating

Cloak of Altering

I'll add:

Black Mass of Absu
Mixes Black Metal, Doom Metal and Noise. More of a Bestial BM edge to it, but it might be a bit simplistic compared to what you are looking for.

N.K.V.D
Raw, static choked Industrial Black Metal. Heavy as fuck, but again maybe a bit too simplistic? Very heavy Industrial influence. Definitely has "run down, urban" feel to it, more more accurately "burned out industrial nightmare" feel.

Sutekh Hexen
More pure-ish Black Noise, but very much in the vein of Aderlating/Gnaw Their Tongues type stuff.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:53 pm 

Definitely go for the first Anaal Nathrakh album if you haven't. They sound light years apart now, but they used to always be mentioned in the same sentence. Also worth checking out are various related sideprojects of Axis: Mine[thorn], Kult of Eihort, Halo of the Sun, Phaleg. These are of varying quality, I think Halo of the Sun is probably the closest to what you're looking for.

The only other rec I got is Void*: http://voidblackmetal.bandcamp.com/

*not the UK band, this band isn't on the archives because the EP wasn't physically released.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:54 am 

Definitely second NKVD, as well as the first Anaal Nathrahk.

Also try reverence, and possibly ruins of beverast (the last album is simply incredible)

You may also appreciate Aborym, although they are a slightly different take on industrial/black metal

_Valis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:22 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations everybody, I do very much appreciate it.

Black Vomit:
I'm going to have to listen to more stuff by them to make heads or tails of this, but it's certainly interesting. I'm not sure if I like it or not to be honest, so I'll be giving the rest of their stuff a listen shortly.

Utarm:
Ah, Utarm should have been another one I mentioned in the opening post--great project, and definitely the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Locrian:
I've quite liked these guys for awhile too now (though I really should listen to more of their stuff), and they're definitely on with the whole black metal/dark ambient/noise thing. I don't know though, I guess I'm looking for something a little more Silent Hill-esque or horror based at the moment? Regardless, good band.

Mories other projects:
Yep, already know and love Mories other projects as well. Great stuff, and definitely fits the request.

Black Mass of Absu:
Well damn, the metal elements of that song are quite good, but the organ just completely ruins it for me.

N.K.V.D.:
NKVD is a band I came across not too long ago actually. Not quite what I'm looking for at the moment, but good stuff nonetheless, and "industrial black metal" that actually deserves that title (unlike most of the sub-genre's practitioners).

Anaal Nathrakh's Codex Necro:
God, I love this album. Sort of like NKVD with respect to this request in that while its super-heavy industrial black metal, it lacks the other elements I'm looking for at the moment. This is a fair bit closer to the mark though as it has exactly the kind of atmosphere I'm looking for, if not all the musical components.

Sutekh Hexen:
This is good stuff man, thanks for the recommendation. Not exactly what I am looking for, but good nonetheless.

Side projects of Axis:
Already know and love Mine[thorn] (though they don't have the atmosphere I'm looking for at the moment). As for Phaleg, while I like them, I could never really get very much into their EP. It always just makes me want to listen to Axis instead. I'll sit down and give it another spin though.

Halos of the Sun/Kult of Eihort:
As for the works of Ein (which some Axis members have contributed to), I quite like his projects (especially Halo of the Sun) though I think still he's building up to hitting one out of the park, if not quite there yet. Also, before someone else mentions it, I'm also familiar with Haeiresis and I'm largely of the same opinion with them/him--good, but still not quite there yet. This is however exactly the kind of sound I'm looking, so let me know if you guys know of anything else in the area.

Reverence:
The Chamber of Divine Elaboration fits the recommendation almost perfectly, I've just never been able to get into them. I'm not sure why, but their music can't seem to hold my interest. I'm still trying for them though, so hopefully they just click one day.

Aborym:
As for Aborym, sorry, this is the kind of industrial bm I'm not really too big on.

Regardless of whether the rec was dead on or way off the mark, I do appreciate all suggestions nonetheless, so thanks everyone! Anyone else know of some material in this area?

_Valis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:30 pm 

Oh, one I forgot.

Void:
This is a pretty cool one. They/he/she has the industrial and dark ambient thing down, along with a more urban industrial aesthetic. My only gripe is the metal bits sound a little too, I'm not quite sure, I guess melodic for what I'm looking for. A tad bit too positive sounding I guess lol. Not a bad rec at all though.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 am 

You may want to check out Haeiresis, or Inlaid Rust. Both sound a lot like AOP

Reply to topic