Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:32 am 

>.< crap, sorry Metantoine. Not at all to be taken seriously, it was meant as lighthearted banter. But in all truthfulness, and although they just skyrocketed to my top five band list, I can understand why people wouldn't like them. To each his own.

Aetherial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:39 am 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
>.< crap, sorry Metantoine. Not at all to be taken seriously, it was meant as lighthearted banter. But in all truthfulness, and although they just skyrocketed to my top five band list, I can understand why people wouldn't like them. To each his own.

I recall a review on Metal Archives saying it was "50 odd minutes whining about bitches". :roll:

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:03 am 

A bit on the Gothic side, I'm told, but Akelei are are a band I tend to recommend;

http://akelei.bandcamp.com/album/de-zwaarte-van-het-doorstane

Male and female clean vocals, slow, hypnotic melodies, and a sort of vast, slightly desolate atmosphere which mixed despair and elation really well.

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:03 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
MannyQuiza wrote:
Obsequies Procession

Where do I find out about this band? The name I recall from a video posted about depressive funeral doom.

I watched that video and I was wondering the same thing.
The band has been recommended before by both user MQ and user MannyQuiza (perhaps the same person?). Since there is so little info available - it's kind of intriguing even if I found that snippet of their music to be run-of-the-mill.

Surolamkin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 am 

Void of Silence. I heard their second - Criterion ov 666, crushing stuff.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:29 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
A bit on the Gothic side, I'm told, but Akelei are are a band I tend to recommend;

http://akelei.bandcamp.com/album/de-zwaarte-van-het-doorstane

Male and female clean vocals, slow, hypnotic melodies, and a sort of vast, slightly desolate atmosphere which mixed despair and elation really well.

I'm really liking this. It's very similar to The Slow Death and Murkrat, and goddammit, we need more like it.

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:08 am 

pbarb wrote:
Im looking for the real gloomy, melancholy, wrist opening stuff that drips with sadness and loss. The kind of doom metal/rock/whatever that just makes you feel like all is lost and your better off curling up in bed and dying on a rainy day. Not so much crushing and heavy (although that's ok too). And not weird deranged suicidal black metal. I want the pure funeral music please. Acoustics, other instruments and clean singing parts are welcome, even preferred.

Thanks again everyone.

Although I'd want to recommend Draconian and Shape of Despair for being a great band that might suit your request, I'd rather bring you Forest of Shadows - Eternal Autumn and more importantly, Estatic Fear - Ode to Solitude from the album Somnium Obnutum.

Aetherial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:37 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBqxN_tyC80
I actually tried to kill myself while I was listening to that song...so yeah :thumbsup:

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:23 pm 

Try:

Mistress of the Dead - Painfully-slow funeral doom with lyrics that almost made me tear.
Until Death Overtakes Me - Ambiental funeral doom; very similar to Mistress of the Dead, but more minimalistic and ambiental; if you enjoy Mistress you'll most likely enjoy UDoM.
Lord Azmo - Really melancholic and melodic depressive doom metal.
Ea - Unique atmospheric funeral doom.
Tempestuous Fall - Beautiful death/doom with some My Dying Bride influence, I believe. If you enjoy Shape of Despair, Tempestuous Fall might be for you.

Coincidentally, all of these are one-man projects (except Lord Azmo).

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:16 am 

Holy crap Nortt is the shit. This band sucks the life outta me and drains me of all hope leaving me a blackened empty husk. If fuckin love it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2