Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:30 pm 

im happy that most people in this thread dislike SFU. SFU and Debauchery compete for the title of shittiest death metal band. Id rather listen to most deathcore than either.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:30 pm 

Hhaha now I have to listen to Debauchery

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:35 pm 

Varth wrote:
Hhaha now I have to listen to Debauchery

Try "Blood for the Blood God" for starters, and then tell us how many iterations of "Blood for the Blood God!" it took to make you snap.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:51 pm 

Aszfargoth wrote:
Try "Blood for the Blood God" for starters

How the hell does anybody honestly listen to that steaming pile of shit and say "damn I'm gonna buy that record"? That was just terrible and I can't believe I just sat through the whole song.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:06 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Aszfargoth wrote:
Try "Blood for the Blood God" for starters

How the hell does anybody honestly listen to that steaming pile of shit and say "damn I'm gonna buy that record"? That was just terrible and I can't believe I just sat through the whole song.

I agree that was terrible, but my personal "worst band ever" is this band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRiJj6Ba_bo

Just listen to it... :puke:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:27 pm 

Yeah I didn't even bother finishing that one that was just fucking awful, how do these guys get signed...
I totally understand when people say metal gives them a headache now.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:31 pm 

hahaha man this shit has me rolling

what I think I hear in the vocals:

fall before you wallow
I'rime a reprechaun
goopy blood booties
food for your wallet

Goddamn it's sad that got half a million views. Sounds like SFU crossed with Lair of The Minotaur. Bad.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:48 am 

Don't know who is telling the truth and I don't give a shit about either band but the simple fact Barnes admits to badmouthing on stage a band that shares this tour with him is already ample proof he is a fucking dick. It's not just a matter of respect for the other band. It's a matter of respect for the audience.

Having said that, the dude from Cattle Something-Whatever also seems to be a bit of a douche. First, he goes on and on in every article about this how he didn't want to tour with SFU. "We really didn,t want to tour with Barnes... all our friends warned us, we passed on touring with SFU for 8 years... touring with SFU is bad... blah blah blah..." Well dude, if you don't want to tour with SFU, just don't. It's fucking simple. Now you're walking out a tour.

The way he also insists on how his band is outselling SFU merch-wise, and all people leave the venue... even if all this is true... not really classy. Sounds more like a pop star diva bitch bragging about being more popular than another diva bitch.

All in all, neither of these guys took the high road. Whatever works for them, I guess.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:22 am 

so i guess if Ryan wasn't suckerpunched to the floor i guess he just tripped, lol ?!

this is again one of those cases where we'll probably never know what happened for real. Maybe it's better that way, haha...

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:28 am 

enigmatech wrote:

No way is anything God Among Insects made worse than SFU. Just no, man. No.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:34 am 

Flea-ridden washout VS Self-righteous prick.
Bring Seth Putnam back from the dead, plz.

EDIT: To clarify. It's judgmental and unkind of me, but if you can say "if you eat meat you're a fucking asshole" unironically, you're a cock. No problem whatsoever with vegans. You don't want to eat meat, fine, go ahead. Criticising me for doing so? Go fuck yourself.

Last edited by _MFMGW_ on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:37 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
enigmatech wrote:

No way is anything God Among Insects made worse than SFU. Just no, man. No.

...well, actually...
just read my review of God Among Insects' first album on this website.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:12 am 

Riffs wrote:
Don't know who is telling the truth and I don't give a shit about either band but the simple fact Barnes admits to badmouthing on stage a band that shares this tour with him is already ample proof he is a fucking dick. It's not just a matter of respect for the other band. It's a matter of respect for the audience.

Having said that, the dude from Cattle Something-Whatever also seems to be a bit of a douche. First, he goes on and on in every article about this how he didn't want to tour with SFU. "We really didn,t want to tour with Barnes... all our friends warned us, we passed on touring with SFU for 8 years... touring with SFU is bad... blah blah blah..." Well dude, if you don't want to tour with SFU, just don't. It's fucking simple. Now you're walking out a tour.

The way he also insists on how his band is outselling SFU merch-wise, and all people leave the venue... even if all this is true... not really classy. Sounds more like a pop star diva bitch bragging about being more popular than another diva bitch.

All in all, neither of these guys took the high road. Whatever works for them, I guess.

Ryan said that he agreed to tour with the Chris Barnes Band only because a). it was the only opportunity for them to tour at that time of year, and b). because the cancelled Shockwave Fest left them with a shitton of merch and an equally large bill that they had to tangle with, and they were trying to get rid of all that merch and pay off that bill as soon as possible. He mentioned how they were greatly outselling SFU and having people walk out after they were done mostly as a way of demonstrating why Barnes was being a petty little bitch.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:26 am 

Everytime I see Six Feet Under written as SFU all I can think is Shut the Fuck Up. Pretty much sums up my feelings about Chris Barnes in a nut shell.

Last edited by Delta_Wing on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:42 am 

Chris Barnes reminds me a LOT of Rob Zombie at this point. Started with a good band and started churning out utter garbage on his own that proved that he was nothing without said band? Check. Massive sense of unwarranted self-importance? Check. Plays lowest-common-denominator buttrock (which is essentially what SFU is, just in a death metal format)? Check. Revolving door backing band with lots of unkind things to say about their time working for him? Check. COUNTLESS stories of his being a dick to supporting bands? Check. Hell, they even look alike. Really, the only thing separating the two is that Zombie is a hell of a lot smarter than Barnes and is a much better businessman, having realized how to endlessly milk his fanbase for all they're worth no matter what. Barnes probably never will figure out how to do that.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 am 

Yeah, all this drama is fucking stupid but I'm stoked because I get to see cattle tonight in a small bar for five bucks.

I liked Rob Zombie's newest cd.

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:56 am 

Frank Booth wrote:

Ryan said that he agreed to tour with the Chris Barnes Band only because a). it was the only opportunity for them to tour at that time of year, and b). because the cancelled Shockwave Fest left them with a shitton of merch and an equally large bill that they had to tangle with, and they were trying to get rid of all that merch and pay off that bill as soon as possible. He mentioned how they were greatly outselling SFU and having people walk out after they were done mostly as a way of demonstrating why Barnes was being a petty little bitch.

I don't know what happened but based on Barnes reputation, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan told the truth. I can also understand why, so shortly after this incident, he would feel the urge to provide a little context but it's not terribly helpful and comes off as venting and bragging more than anything else. Which I've never been to fond of, especially in a style such as metal. You're not Elton John, for fuck's sake.

He's also not doing any favors to his label.

I'm not saying this wasn't a shitty situation. But I've rarely seen airing dirty laundry and musicians' feuds as being anything else but detrimental to the artists, no matter how justified they might be.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:17 pm 

I mean, I don't know Ryan particularly well, but I know him well enough to know that he's generally quite calm and easygoing and doesn't just start shit at the drop of a hat. If he gets pissed off, it's probably for a reason.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:46 pm 

Subrick wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
^White guys with dreads. And I guess Asian guys with dreads may be douches as well, but I haven't seen or met anyone that meets that profile.

I've yet to see an Asian guy with dreads.

Asians with dreads

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:40 pm 

What label is Six Feet Under on actually? I'd definitely agree that the whole incident really won't reflect well on SFU's relationship with their current record label and I wouldn't be surprised if they were dropped from that label as a result.

treghet6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:40 pm 

(nevermind, a user already pointed out what I had posted)

Last edited by treghet6 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
What label is Six Feet Under on actually? I'd definitely agree that the whole incident really won't reflect well on SFU's relationship with their current record label and I wouldn't be surprised if they were dropped from that label as a result.

Metal Blade. Same as CD.

satanscurse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:17 am 

Both bands are pure rubbish.

Last edited by satanscurse on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:20 am 

^^You're so cool dude. Please tell us more.

Cattle killed it last night, such a good live band. I would rec to anyone to catch them on this "For the fans, by the fans" tour if you can.

DeadXManiac wrote:

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 pm 

satanscurse wrote:
Both bands are pure rubbish. Only thing I care about is them splitting up and never making "music" again.

See Cattle live. No matter what you think of their studio material, they're an utterly fantastic live act.

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:43 pm 

I am not a fan of either band. I would say Cattle Decapitation is the better of the 2. Chris has become a complete retard. I do not understand how a man that was on an album like "Tomb of the Mutilated" now makes such shitty music. SFU is laughable, especially their covers. I hope Travis presses charges. From what I hear the new SFU album is pretty good but the new Cattle Decapitation looks much better.

satanscurse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:05 am 

deicidefan wrote:
^^You're so cool dude. Please tell us more.

Cattle killed it last night, such a good live band. I would rec to anyone to catch them on this "For the fans, by the fans" tour if you can.

Ok, Cattle Decapitation and Six Feet Under are pure nonsense bands with nothing to offer a listener,
but some people still seem to listen to them anyway. Why? I don't know maybe they heard they got in a fight and found it cool or whatever...
But I do know that CD and SFU are far from
the only ones. About 99,9% of current metalbands fall into the same category.
People can listen to what they want, but for me it makes sense to listen to some music that is good.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:22 am 

satanscurse wrote:
Ok, Cattle Decapitation and Six Feet Under are pure nonsense bands with nothing to offer a listener, but some people still seem to listen to them anyway. Why? I don't know maybe they heard they got in a fight and found it cool or whatever...
But I do know that CD and SFU are far from the only ones. About 99,9% of current metalbands fall into the same category.
People can listen to what they want, but for me it makes sense to listen to some music that is good.

o_O What does this even mean?Do you mean people listen to the music because of the altercation? And that 99,9% of the bands today fight? Or that 99,9% hasn't got anything to offer the listener?

And a big THANK YOU satanscurse, that we can listen to music you don't consider good. I've always been worried about that, but now I can rest easy.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:57 am 

satanscurse, you seem like a really fun guy and are obviously an authority on music. When you get a free minute can you write out a list of bands that I can listen too, I just found out that 99.9% of the bands i listen to offer me nothing and are rubbish!!! :???:

please help!!!

DeadXManiac wrote:

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 am 

satanscurse wrote:
Both bands are pure rubbish. Only thing I care about is them splitting up and never making "music" again.

Or you could..... You know..... Not listen to them.

satanscurse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:16 pm 

Don't worry, I won't listen to them. but I would find it easier to find new good music, if other people would join in and actually push the good ones forward rather than just pick up whatever bullshit they can find. For example bands that get attention from fighting, having silly bandnames, using gimmicks like vegetarianism etc. rather than making music.

Examples of good bands:
Morbid Angel, Deicide, Bolt Thrower, Unleashed, Entombed, Pestilence, Autopsy, The Crown, Luciferion, Obituary,
Verminous, Massacre and Macabre are all examples of bands that have released good music.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:27 pm 

satanscurse wrote:
using gimmicks like vegetarianism etc. rather than making music.

And so what? Bands can express their opinions and beliefs in their music, if they choose to do so.
satanscurse wrote:
I don't know maybe they heard they got in a fight and found it cool or whatever...

Well, this fight was very recent, I don't think that hundreds of people are flooding CD stores or whatever.
satanscurse wrote:

And why are you being so pushy over what people can listen to? Are you disgusted that people go for commercialization?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:30 pm 

@ Satanscurse

Except I don't like Deicide and The Crown. I think they make bland, unoriginal, and souless music. But ya know, other people might like them. Just like some people might like CD and Six Feet Under. And who the fuck are you to decide what band is good and what band is bad?

Also, I'm pretty sure Glen Benton from Deicide uses satanism as a gimmick, so yeah...

Last edited by henkkjelle on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:30 pm 

I seriously doubt anyone here cares about Cattle Decapitation because they just had a fight with Chris Barnes or because they're vegetarians. Actually, there has been a resurgence of interest in them since the release of Monolith of Inhumanity some months ago. The attention they received is purely based around their music. Ergo, what you say makes no sense. Also, I'm surely not the only one to think that, if you can't find good music even with a database as big and efficient as the Metal Archives, then well..... You surely aren't looking hard enough.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:58 pm 

lets leave Deicide out of this.

Monoliths of Inhumanity is an awesome record, i give no shits about them being vegetarian and according to the archives only two members are vegetarians now. I wouldnt really call that a gimmick.

DeadXManiac wrote:

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 pm 

Their MA page does say that they are "strongly anti-human". I don't agree with Satanscurse, but defining yourself as strongly anti -human is just silly. But if they really consider themselves to be anti human, you can't see that as a gimmick.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:52 pm 

satanscurse wrote:
Don't worry, I won't listen to them. but I would find it easier to find new good music, if other people would join in and actually push the good ones forward rather than just pick up whatever bullshit they can find. For example bands that get attention from fighting, having silly bandnames, using gimmicks like vegetarianism etc. rather than making music.

Examples of good bands:
Morbid Angel, Deicide, Bolt Thrower, Unleashed, Entombed, Pestilence, Autopsy, The Crown, Luciferion, Obituary,
Verminous, Massacre and Macabre are all examples of bands that have released good music.

I actually completely agree with "satanscurse". I haven't heard very much of Cattle Decapitation's music, but what I have heard ("The Harvest Floor" album) doesn't really warrant the hype they get.

I may also be tainted because the guitarist of my old band was one of these "deathcore" kids who claimed to "listen to everything", but also "couldn't get into" any of the bands I showed him (Deicide, Morbid Angel, Death, etc.), and also completely hated anything remotely "classic" (Metallica, Judas Priest, Black fucking Sabbath)...but was a huge Cattle Decapitation fan.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:44 pm 

Cattle Decap's new album was ok, better than I expected. 6/10? I've always thought their pro animal rights/pro vegan thing is possibly the lamest lyrical content you can have. Annoying fan base. Chris Barnes is a douche and SFU are really average. Thus concludes my insightful analysis of the situation.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:14 pm 

I mentioned this before some time ago, but I saw Six Feet Under in a little bar a few years ago (maybe around 2001 or 2002) when they were touring with Hatebreed and Shadows Fall. Anyways, Barnes was using a fucking distortion pedal for his vocals, as he forgot to turn it off when talking with the crowd.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:23 pm 

Okay..... Now that is lame. So, so, sooooooooo very lame.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next