Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 am 

You know that "Song" that you can't help but jam out to, no matter how inappropriate the situation maybe. I listen to most of my music in my car or on my MP3 player at work. I have a habit of playing cords on my steering wheel while driving especially to a good song. I drive a lot for work, so this is quite frequent no matter the tune, but I try to stay focused on the road, so it's pretty much second nature and everything is tame.

But then there is always that one "Song" that I can't help but go into a frenzy of double bass foot tapping, air cymbal crashing, full on headbanging air guitaring frenzy.

So this morning I arrive at my job. I immediately pop in my earbuds to drown out the usual morning BS chatter that goes on around me. Talk of politics, sports, what the folks around me had for dinner, bullshit, whatever.

So I put on Brutally Dceased, a great little band that I love a lot. As I'm sitting there getting everything lined up for the day, before I head out to the pick up some steel plates for a machine we are modifiying, I get through the songs Demise Of The Human Swine and All That Rots and Withers off of Dead Lover's Guide. This is done with the usual nod of the head, enjoying every minute of these Czech monsters. Then there is that "Song", that one song makes me into a complete idiotic headbanging fool; On comes the beautiful cover of "Override Of The Overture" to close the album.

From the first riff I'm moving around in my chair, still doing my work, but just running the scales of an imaginary guitar, before breaking into a full on idiot air interpretation of one of the greatest death metal songs ever written. This goes on for about half the song and gets much worse at the break half way before the ripping solo that closes the song and I can't help myself at this point. Then I notice this girl I work with, is totally looking at me like I've lost my mind. She said that must be one hell of a song, to which I respond, it definitely is. Of course she asks what it was, I just casually say it's just a great rock song as she laughs and is walking away knowing I'm a major metal head.
:-D.

So what's everyones one "Song", that one make one you into a complete headbanging maniac. :headbang: Mine is definitely Dimember's Override of The Overture. Everytime I hear it, same reaction.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:14 am 

For me that'd have to be Alice in Chains' We Die Young. I simply can't help myself from lip-synching to it and playing air guitar whenever I listen to it, at least in a subtle way. It's that catchy.

I'm sure there are couple other examples I could mention, but this is the only one that comes to mind right now.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:10 am 

Mine is definitely "Chapel of Ghouls" by Morbid Angel, just because shouting along to "DEAD! YOUR GOD IS DEAD!" with my window down in traffic is very satisfying. Same thing for "Lord Of All Fevers And Plague". IAAAAAAAKKKKK

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:07 pm 

Every song on "Blessed are the Sick" album by Morbid Angel. I was driving some non-metalhead friends around, blasting that album at top volume on the CD player, air-drumming, lip-synching to every single song (because I know almost all the lyrics), and playing air guitar...all while driving. Everyone in the car must have been looking at me like I was crazy, but I did not notice because holy shit is that album awesome. I would also like to give an honorable mention to, yes, "Override of the Overture" by Dismember and both "Suffer the Children" and "Unfit Earth" by Napalm Death.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:27 pm 

Well there are quite a few songs in many genres that turn me into a raging idiot. The last one I was playing at work and was walked in on mid finger drumming/vocalization was Nifelheim's Black curse. Of course it had to be the quiet female coworker I find quite attractive, but instead of getting all awkward I laughed it off and now we talk more. Thanks Nifelheim :thumbsup:

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 pm 

'Take Hold of the Flame' by Queensryche, definitely. I have to headbang and and sing along every time I listen to it, and it has to be LOUD.

Another song that makes me go into a frenzy is 'Dawn of Possession' by Immolation. The final 30 seconds to that song are just insane.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:25 pm 

For me, strangely enough, it's "Ragnarok" by the thrashy black metal band Rodosvet. I love the vocals, the production, and the riffs (simple though they appear to be). And I don't know why, but I just can't play this track at a normal volume. I always have to crank it up and listen to it as loud as my eardrums can stand. Fortunately, it's only about 3 minutes long, so my ears don't get a lot of sustained trauma... unless I start it from the beginning again. And again.

HurlyBurly
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:29 pm 

Suffocation's 'Liege of Inveracity' is probably a staple for a lot of death metal fans. It has one of the only genuine slam/breakdown parts in a song that I can enjoy enough to really make a fool of myself on the train when listening.

Aside from that, I don't have to many tracks that would qualify. Most of the more energetic bands I listen to lately have been local, there's one called Grue whose entire first demo is stuck in my head. Panzerbastard is another source of riffs that I've gotten permanently lodged into my unsuspecting brain.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:35 pm 

Hmmm I'd have to say Kunnia, Armageddon! by Goatmoon. The vocals are ridiculously powerful and unrelenting, and are combined with some of the most catchy riffing in black metal. The song just fits so many elements together perfectly. The lyrical theme is reflected in the vocals, its like he's giving a 3 minute long hate speech and just everything about it is fucking perfffectt ugh. It's one of the few songs in another language I actually know all the lyrics to so I can't help but scream along everytime I hear it. Oh, and there's like four different versions of it, so it never gets boring :P

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 pm 

I have tons of these personally. I know last night I had a hell of a time playing Electric Wizard's Satanic Rites Of Drugula and Sleep's Dragonaut in the car. Also, it is absolutely mandatory to drive at least 20 miles over the speed limit while listening to Judas Priest's Painkiller.

skull_king
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 pm 

Every time I listen to Tenacious D. I always sing or lip-synch to them. And I also do the same thing when I listen to anything by Meshuggah.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:31 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Also, it is absolutely mandatory to drive at least 20 miles over the speed limit while listening to Judas Priest's Painkiller.

^^That's classic!!

Great posts!! :thumbsup:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 pm 

I'm a huge fan of the Black Dahlia Murder and I get physical reactions out of a lot of their songs, but the one that makes me go completely apeshit is Statutory Ape. From the moment that first riff comes in, I headbang like a madman, air guitar, tap my feet to the double bass, and just generally act like a flailing one man band/seizure patient.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:41 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Also, it is absolutely mandatory to drive at least 20 miles over the speed limit while listening to Judas Priest's Painkiller.

That song and Iron Maiden as a whole are banned from my car for safety reasons.

Only one song? There are too many, but I'll say The Obsidian Crown Unbound by Bal Sagoth. The middle section forces me to drum as fast as I possibly can on whatever surface is nearby while headbanging.

That song is also banned from my car.

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 pm 

Maybe I'm lame, but for me it is Deliverence by Opeth. It's twice as bad when I hear the song live. The people around me probably hate me.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 pm 

misogynisticfeminist wrote:
Maybe I'm lame, but for me it is Deliverence by Opeth. It's twice as bad when I hear the song live. The people around me probably hate me.

Not lame at all. It's a fantastic song. :)

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Only one song? There are too many.

There's many for me too, but I figured there has to be a stand out.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is another one for me. That song is so damn powerful. I go absolutely ape shit after the spoken word section with the ship creeking. First I get goose bumps on the errie section, then no matter how I feel, I get happy when Steve's bass starts in. Then as the Bruce let's out "Down in falls comes the Raaaaiiiiinnnnn" and the song picks up a nice head of steam again like a big powerful steam locomotive, gaining speed and then turning into a monster dreadnaut, I can't help air guitaring Dave and Adrian, then I start bashing the air around me like some retarded version of Nicko McBrain. :P

Black Stone Wielder by Candlemas is another song that will get me in trouble while driving :D

It's just that the "Override" has pretty much that reaction all the time.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:12 pm 

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a song I try to hit up on the jukebox of every bar I go into, you get your monies worth and it gives you time to queue up some decent shit before some asshole plays a shitload of Dave Matthews Band or Counting Crows.

The Sentinel by Judas Priest is sort of a proto version of the entire Painkiller album, that song has me wailing into the skies bending head back straight to the sky parallel with my knees.

Symbolic Immortality by Massacre

agh well I'll be here all day I'll just leave it there

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm 

I immediately go into headbanging mode whenever I listen to:

Celtic Frost - Eternal Summer
Misery Index - The Spectator (during the bridge)
Pig Destroyer - Burning Palm (during the "I'm indomitable" part)

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 pm 

Pretty much all of Terria (Devin Townsend) at the moment. But if I had to choose... probably Canada.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:33 pm 

Nearly any early Running Wild or Accept sends me into a headbanging fury.

Ceald Hraew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:43 pm 

Bathory’s Blood Fire Death. Even thinking of this song makes me headbang.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:50 pm 

I wouldn't say that I have one particular song, but one that comes to mind is "Drawn to Black" by Insomnium. The riff that enters in about 30 seconds into that song causes me to thrash about wildly every time I am driving. Almost as entertaining are the reactions I receive from people observing me.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:23 pm 

I can't limit myself to one track so I'll just go with a few that popped in my head while reading this.

Scar Symmetry - 2012 - The Demise of the 5th Sun
Gardenian - Deserted
Dope - Kimberly's Ghost
Motörhead - Trigger

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:26 pm 

Darkthrone's To Walk The Eternal Fields has become a good candidate since I recently learned playing it. I probably don't need to tell anyone but that song is fucking epic.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:38 pm 

Blind Guardian's "Mirror Mirror" is impossible for me not to sing along to, air guitar, and headbang while listening to it. So epic.

Also, Speedwolf makes me thrash around. How can you not move while listening to that stuff?

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:16 pm 

I work in a store room/loading dock area. We are locked away in the basement of a resort so we always bring in metal c-ds and just listen to what ever we want really. I REALLY like the new Napalm Death c-d Utilitarian. The track Quarantined was playing one day and during the chorus I could just feel the frantic uncontrollable chaos rushing through my body, The only way to describe my body motion was like a child trying to 'rock out' awkwardly to a metal song but not really knowing how and kind of just end up shaking and head banging in a weird mannor. That was me.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 pm 

Two songs:

Behemoth's Sculpting the Throne ov Seth and Nile's Masturbating the War-God.

Both make me want to grab my flail (which I don't have) and become a pharaoh in modern-day Egypt.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:08 pm 

With Satan and Victorious Weapons- Marduk
Icons of Evil- Vital Remains
Sacrificial Suicide- Deicide
Homage for Satan- Deicide
I Am the Black Wizards- Emperor
Satan-Prometheus- Gorgoroth (the only good song on Quantos imho)
Keravnos Kyvernitos- Rotting Christ
Diaboli Virtus In Lumbar Est- Belphegor

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

shecriedyoucaved
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 pm 

Just One Fix by Ministry sends me into a frenzy. Dat riff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsBvZRXF7A

And while not quite "metal" in the tradition sense, I slip into a headbanging trance whenever I hear Killing Joke's Walking With Gods.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj54kTxz30Q

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm 

If I had to choose just one, it's Judas Priest's "Painkiller". I can't listen to that song in situations where I have to be quiet and sit still. If I'm at the gym, I have several sweet sets while the song is playing.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 pm 

Given that I've been on a pretty serious Whitesnake binge lately, their song Sweet Lady Luck immediately comes to mind. Totally not safe to listen to while I'm driving. There will be speeding.
OH. And Overkill's Ironbound, because I mean c'mon.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:49 pm 

The song that gets me the most is "Crown of Souls" by Deeds of Flesh. After the pitch shifted vocal intro and the riffs/drums kick in I go into an apeshit frenzy, complete with pacing, headbanging, air guitar, growling, and Frank Mullen handwiggl.ing I always listen to this song when I'm doing heavy squats it seems to be the perfect song to unleash the animal inside. It's probably a good thing I have a home gym cause i'd imagine I look batshit crazy, i'm a pretty bulky dude so anyone that I wouldn't completly scare off would probably have the best laugh ever.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:56 pm 

oh yeah, Gym music, for some reason King Diamond gets me fucking pumped. Then this early 90s DM band Disastrous Murmur is a good one, and Bolt Thrower. I can wreck some fucking weight to Bolt Thrower.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm 

Dystopia's "Stress Builds Character", Pig Destroyer's "Towering Flesh", pretty much all of Godflesh's "Streetcleaner", and Bolt Thrower's "What Dwells Within" all definitely do this to me.

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:36 pm 

"Return to Serenity" by Testament. I get completely engrossed in it every time I hear it.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:40 am 

The opening riff of The Sentinel (Priest), Aiming High (Accept).

I think that people who play tunes full volume with the car windows down are wankers. The above two songs transform me into an instant wanker.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:50 am 

Probably Red Wolves of Stalin by Hail of Bullets, the intro, and the first couple of minutes are just mind-blowingly powerful and angry. It's one of a couple, and the first which comes to mind, of songs I put on the morning before exams, or anything I really want to work up a fighting spirit for.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:28 am 

The only three are: Svartrit "Black Stars of Death and Wisdom", Black Sabbath "Die Young" and Darkthrone "Canadian Metal". It's a good thing I don't have a car anymore; I'm sure people thought I was insane when I did. Though, not much has changed, because it's really hard not to visibly react when I'm listening to any of these songs on my mp3 player, even if I'm walking through town.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:43 am 

Devin Townsend's "Earth Day" is like that for me. I just go nuts when that main riff kicks in, I basically have to stop what I'm doing and jam.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next