Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:40 am 

Arrow: I try to not give up on a show based on the first episode but I'll be damned if I don't abandon this wreck. Number 1, the rich kid/man serves justice origin has been done to death and it's really hard to feel sympathetic for a spoilt brat no matter if he has good intentions. Secondly, I find the dialogue and acting to be soap opera drivel at best and moments that be should intriguing act as mere filler. The action is good and it's neat to see the main character perform parkour maneuvers as opposed to a villain or lesser character. With that aside, it's as shallow as Gossip and I don't see any reason to watch.

Continuum: This had an excellent start but when Kiera went back in time to 2012 (it had to be present day, didn't it), it just became lousy and whatever momentum and suspense that was crafted on the first episode went out the window. I find it's become something like CSI now and it's obvious that it's purely there to pump out more episodes. Rather than desperately seeking to return to her own time, Kiera is just going through the motions like it'll never happen. The second layer with the kid is dragging and why hasn't Keira tried to meet up with this punk in person? I love how the police chief is so unconvincing and how easily he accepts Keira's story. The action is really goofy and unrealistic with female characters performing impossible take downs, so much so that it reminded me of those shite Resident Evil movies.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:15 am 

EssexCounty wrote:
I just finished American Horror Story premiere. I did like the first season.. though it wasn’t great and definitely was overrated, I still kept up with it. My expectations were low because I didn’t like the end of season one but the first episode last night was weak at best. The whole asylum thing is always boring, cliché, and the same as every other asylum show/movie. I doubt I will watch this season… but I’ll give a few more episodes a chance. The pro of the episode, the cast. I like the returning people so far and I didn’t know Chloe Sevigny was going to be on the show this season. I’ve always liked her from Kids and American Psycho.

Interesting. I too felt the ending of the first season was very bad but I dug the first episode of this season. Maybe it's because the fake characters (the ghosts if you will) aren't there. I hope they don't revert to type of mind play again, it would just be lame by this stage. I also think the asylum setting is overdone but the way this is playing out is quite interesting, with so many possibilities yet to be explored. I'm interested in knowing Bloody Face's story more than anything, seems quite demented and unusual. I'm apprehensive about the rest of the season though.

CheekSuck9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 am 

Well, used to watch Food Network, and sometimes Comedy, since I downgraded to basic (nothing really interesting), I just go on computer.........(mostly facebook and Bravewords.com) :p

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:18 am 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
Can someone explain to me what is so great about The Walking Dead? Is it the story-lines or the characters or whatever?

To me, because regular tv is all reality shit and stuff not worth watching, since it gets cancelled anyway. Last show that I watched on regular tv was 24.
Season 2 of Walking Dead was a bit boring(mainly due to the cut budget), but season 3 has been awesome so far. This and AHS are breaking more ratings records.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:52 am 

The new Dexter season is so good so far. This show just never disappoints...they have a killer (ha ha) formula that they stick to like glue, but the formula is just so entertaining and the acting and characters are so good that you don't care. And this season has Ray Stevenson as a Russian mafia boss. And he's fucking awesome.

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:29 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Interesting. I too felt the ending of the first season was very bad but I dug the first episode of this season. Maybe it's because the fake characters (the ghosts if you will) aren't there. I hope they don't revert to type of mind play again, it would just be lame by this stage. I also think the asylum setting is overdone but the way this is playing out is quite interesting, with so many possibilities yet to be explored. I'm interested in knowing Bloody Face's story more than anything, seems quite demented and unusual. I'm apprehensive about the rest of the season though.

Well I am with you on the ending of season one. I think it was the last two episodes that were particularly terrible... But I liked the season overall. I'll prob give this new season a few more episodes but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 am 

Spoiler: show
So, The Walking Dead, second episode... Hah, it was so bloody obvious that these morons just couldn't cooperate and immediately had to try to kill each other. I don't quite get why Rick had to be so hostile from the start, though I guess the prisoner's de facto leader was an irrational ass that had to be dealt with. Still, "How do we deal with them?" - "We could kill them." - "Alright, as good a solution as any.", that was the reasoning done there, in a nutshell. But good riddance, those guys were pretty much idiots. Aim for the head, go for the brain (repeated a thousand times). First encounter, alright, let's do this prison-shiving style and poke around in their bellies. Ah, well I still enjoyed it. I find and found myself prepared to accept a lot more crap from this series than others.

Also, good to see Carl isn't completely useless anymore.

I didn't quite buy that those prisoners were in there for almost a year and didn't have the slightest clue of what was going on outside or ever tried to escape. Yeah, I remember one of them saying they couldn't get out, because every time they tried to pry open the doors the zombies would come, but still... Eh, dunno. Even more surprising is the fact that they didn't kill each other, though.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:50 pm 

TWD (Minor comic spoilers, already happened in show)
The fact that they condensed issues #13 to #19 into one episode without losing much details is a vast improvement from their usual shit.

It's cool how Rick isn't a paragon of virtue anymore. He's much more pragmatic. Same with Carl, he's turning out to be a little badass.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:49 pm 

OH GOD, yes!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 pm 

So after last night THe Walking Dead...

My wife goes, "I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that Lori's dead. The bad new is that you have a newborn to deal with now."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm 

^
A newborn that you can't feed too. I imagine that Lori would have died from the internal bleeding anyway, because otherwise saving the baby instead of the mother is beyond stupid (even if it IS Lori we're talking about... :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:03 am 

So Fresh Meat is finally available (legally) in the states. Watch it (and subsequently tell me how wrong I am for loving it) here. Unfortunately, only the first two episodes are up and they're, by far, the weakest the show has to offer. Still better than pretty much every American single-camera comedy ever.

The show stars "Simon" from The Inbetweeners, Kimberley Nixon from Black Death (the one with Sean Bean) and Jack Whitehall from... a lot of trashy stand-up, who's actually completely brilliant here. Who knew there was actually talent behind all that unfunny improv? Oh, and the always-amazing Robert Webb appears in four of the eight season one episodes, playing a socially deficient geology lecturer (who's twitter handle is @dandangeologyman.) If you're a fan of the creators' other shows (Peep Show, The Thick of It), you'll feel right at home here, but even if you're not, give it a go. If nothing else, there's some absolutely brilliant dialog to be had.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:07 am 

All I could think about during Lori's c-section scene was the album cover of Butchered at Birth.

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:44 am 

Only shows me and my partner watch are Neighbours (how metal) and the Walking Dead. Absolutely loving the third season of walking dead. Does anyone know how far behind the UK are on the episodes?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 am 

syx wrote:
Only shows me and my partner watch are Neighbours (how metal) and the Walking Dead. Absolutely loving the third season of walking dead. Does anyone know how far behind the UK are on the episodes?

In the US, it airs on Sunday night. In the UK, it's on Friday. Ill just say this, the one airing tomorrow is a big episode.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:27 am 

Does anyone watch Gold Rush? I have been hooked on it since day 1, but it's hard to say why. Ordinarily I find reality TV (even pretend "scripted" reality TV which GR is) nauseating, but I just find myself rooting for these rubes. Especially since sometimes the producers seem to be intentionally fucking with them.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:22 am 

Finally started watching Sons Of Anarchy today.
The first episode of S1 was quite engrossing and I love the premise. Jax seems simple on the outside but there's more to him and I'm looking forward to see his character unfold.
I love Justified and I got into SOA because they are apparently the same...they're not! But I'll give it a chance, see how it all comes together. Any fans on board?

Fallen Soldier
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:17 pm 

I usually use the tv to play PlayStation 3 lol, But i like some tv shows

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:07 am 

Peep Show series 8 kicks off in less than a week! :hyper:

Anyone else excited?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:52 am 

:cry: I just watched the season 4 finale of Dexter and anyone who has seen it knows why my mood is gray.
I love this show but I feel incredibly devastated. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I've never been hit hard by a character death in TV or literature this much. FUCK!

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Peep Show series 8 kicks off in less than a week! :hyper:

Anyone else excited?

totes brah. Seems like it's been forever since the last season. I wasn't fond of that season really, but i recently rewatched it and it's grown on me a bit, i gotta say.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:31 am 

The first episode of season 7 was wonky and terrible as fuck, but I thought everything else was great. The episode where Jez and Mark are trapped in the "airlock" of Zahra's flat was an absolute series highlight, as far as I'm concerned.

Have you ever watched Fresh Meat, DRD? If not... you should. Soon.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:57 am 

Yeah i watched Fresh Meat not long after it came out. While it had its moments, i really thought it was a bit uninspired and too similar to other, better Britcoms. Along with Friday Night Dinner, and Campus, it seems just part of a (though not without some moments, and far better than its US counterparts), generation of watered down, unoriginal British modern sitcoms. okay, but pretty throwaway really. I found some of the characters annoying, and the romantic aspects really forced, for instance.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:07 am 

Friday Night Dinner was pitiful and Campus looked so awful I didn't even try to watch it. Fresh Meat was a brutal tragi-com, reminiscent of the very best of Gervais/Merchant comedies (e.g. The Extras and The Office Christmas Specials). I wouldn't even put Friday Night Dinner and Fresh Meat on the same plane of existence. What on earth would you say it was derivative of? Not nonsense like The Inbetweeners, right?

Also, did you ever check out Mongrels? Pretty base (i.e., the typical BBC3 target audience), but still quite amusing, and much better than comparable American comedies (South Park, Family Guy et al).

Last edited by darkeningday on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
aryswisnu666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:08 am 

talk about metal TV, here it is http://www.heavymetaltelevision.com/

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:27 pm 

http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/263871/
Dirty Jobs has been canceled.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:26 pm 

:thumbsup: Score one for the good guys!

arketah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:03 am 

As i'm an entertainment lover loves lo watch T.v Shows the most, watched so many but Mr. Bean is one of mine favorite of all. I never miss to watch any single episode of this show. According to me this is the funniest of all watched to till date by me.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:25 am 

The new Peep Show season starter was fucking brilliant. Perhaps not as good as the latest episode of Fresh Meat--but nearly.

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:31 am 

Tonight's episode of Boardwalk Empire really knocked it out of the park. With next week being the season finale, I am on the edge of my seat.

I've also started watching Mad Men. Pretty good so far, hoping it gets even better.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:29 am 

Any opinions on Vegas or Nashville? The former I'm finding rather likable though it comes very much in the footprints of the likes of Boardwalk Empire - emphasizing the period aspect. The latter I'm not so sure about. It's an interesting concept to be sure, but mostly seems like its treading already well-trodden paths, not really finding anything new. I can pretty much tell what's coming on every episode so far.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:04 pm 

Battlestar Galactica was pretty good. It meanders a bit at times, and some episodes are real head scratchers, but on whole whole it had a good run. I think the producers were a bit surprised by its popularity, so they stretched out the seasons a little.

Caprica, however, was a mess.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:16 pm 

Yeah Caprica sucked. BSG was GREAT when it was good, and pretty meh when it was bad. Worth seeing.

You guys seen the new web series? Blood and Chrome? It's surprisingly good so far, on what I assume is a low budget and all that.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:02 pm 

Are you fucking kidding me? Blood and Chrome makes most Star Trek fan films look like... well... not fan films.

The absolute worst of BSG was still better than anything else on television, with the exception of most Bryan Fuller productions and a few premium channel shows (The Wire, Rome, etc...).

Caprica began and ended extremely well, but the mid episodes (5-16, or so) were, at best, pretty bad.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:05 pm 

The new episode of Boardwalk Empire was boss. This season has needed one this strong to drag me back in, as I'd grown very disillusioned with it's retardedly slow pace.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:45 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Are you fucking kidding me? Blood and Chrome makes most Star Trek fan films look like... well... not fan films.

The absolute worst of BSG was still better than anything else on television, with the exception of most Bryan Fuller productions and a few premium channel shows (The Wire, Rome, etc...).

Caprica began and ended extremely well, but the mid episodes (5-16, or so) were, at best, pretty bad.

I really need to get around to seeing Blood and Chrome... Anyway, I agree with this assessment of, both, BSG and Caprica; the former is, in my view (note: not claiming that anyone need agree, purely an opinion), one of the best television series ever produced. The latter was nowhere near as terrible as it could have been; while Caprica didn't live up to its promise - how could it, given it was cut short? - I thought the writers did a good job of making the viewing experience feel worthwhile for, both, the issues it raised on its own and the insight it shed on BSG's world. Though, was it just me, or was the creation of the human-like Cylons as portrayed in Caprica totally inconsistent with the story told in BSG?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 am 

Blood and Chrome seems okay so far, not sure why this is somehow worse than ST fan films. Although I admit I haven't seen much of those (i.e. never dared).

BSG was pretty much consistently brilliant in hindsight. Amazing what they did with this "re-imagining". It was a real "wow, holy shit!" experience when I started watching it, although there are some mediocre episodes and it all was wrapped up rather sloppily in the end.

Caprica was solid to good and showed potential. Too bad.

@Necroticism174: Agreed, although I don't mind the overall pace that much. I enjoyed every episode so far. Things are still happening.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:01 pm 

Oh God oh God, the new Dexter season is brilliantly forming. I have to say, Hannah is probably the first female lead I actually enjoy seeing on screen in the show. Nevermind that her performance is good already, but her character's chemistry and the actor's chemistry with Michael C Hall makes their shared scenes a pleasure to watch.

The Koshka Brotherhood subplot was good though; hopefully they keep focus on that for the rest of the season. Let's just hope this isn't the show's high point and everything begins to go downhill.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:12 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Oh God oh God, the new Dexter season is brilliantly forming. I have to say, Hannah is probably the first female lead I actually enjoy seeing on screen in the show. Nevermind that her performance is good already, but her character's chemistry and the actor's chemistry with Michael C Hall makes their shared scenes a pleasure to watch.

The Koshka Brotherhood subplot was good though; hopefully they keep focus on that for the rest of the season. Let's just hope this isn't the show's high point and everything begins to go downhill.

This is probably the second best season after Season 4. They finally just embraced how over the top and implausible the basic core of the show is, and just started rolling with it. Every single episode is just so fucking entertaining these days. It's like Dexter on overdrive, and I love it.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:21 pm 

Yeah, great season. Isaak = awesome. I almost stopped watching after the bullshit that was season 6, but fortunately I gave it another chance.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 182  Next