Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:39 am 

First thing: catchy, slightly accesible metal songs that actually sound GOOD. Whether they're ballsy (Blind Guardian's ''Another Stranger Me'', Virgin Steele's ''Blood and Gasoline'' or Metal Church's ''Losers in the Game'' are good examples) or technical quite impressive, e.g Fates Warning's ''Through Different Eyes'' or Dream Theater's ''Innocence Faded''. As long as the music isn't dull and still has something to offer I"m good with it.

Second: dreamy, relaxing power ballads. Nothing that comes off as emotional or whatsoever but just plain ''feel good'' kind of stuff. Examples would be Virgin Steele's ''Transfiguration'' (best example I can come up with), Dream Theater's ''To Live Forever'' and Conception's ''The Last Sunet''.

Thanks in advance.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:52 pm 

Might not be to your taste, but I heard Within Temptation's "the unforgiving" yesterday, and that was really catchy, all the songs had great hooks and choruses. Probably dismissed as being poppy by most metalheads, and it probably is, but it is by no means bad, I really enjoyed it this time around (enjoyed it a lot less first time).

As well as this maybe check April Rain by Delain. Again it tends towards the poppy end of metal, but if you want catchy and accessible I guess that's where you have to go. Both have female vocals by the way, but persevere with it, even if it's not your thing usually. Charlotte of Delain's vocals are better than Sharon's of Within Temptation IMO btw.

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:27 am 

Probably not what you are looking for, because it is "moody" or emotional, but I'll recommend it anyway:
Manilla Road (1992) - "Lux Aeterna"

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 am 

The second half of Scorpions - Fly to the Rainbow is a very dreamy, non-emotional ballad type. The whole song is great, probably my favorite from the band.

Aetherial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:22 am 

Within Temptation- Our Solemn Hour. Catchy as fuck :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4h1wciz45o

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:24 am 

check out the album human remains by hell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkuYxyYM2A

Reply to topic