* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:57 am 

Aszfargoth wrote:
kapala wrote:
Can anyone recommend anything in the same vein as Desolate Shrine? I have usually got Sonne Adam and Necros Christos as recommendations, which I already know of, and I'm not particularly keen on either. Anything else I'm missing?

First of all, thank you for the indirect recommendation of Desolate Shrine, they play, indeed, rather well-done death metal. I quite enjoy it!

Apparently, you're requesting death metal of the so-called atmospheric variant: dark, heavy, varied, and (but not overtly) melodic. While I haven't heard Sonne Adam, after a few samples of Desolate Shrine's music, I can see why you're not too fond of Necros Christos as a allegedly similar act. I'll give it a try!

First of all (again), I recommend to you three other acts from Finnland, namely Demigod, Purtenance and Sentenced, of which especially the former is one of the most lasting influences on death metal's takes on the creation of a foreboding, somber atmosphere (I am referring to their 1992 debut album, "Slumber of Sullen Eyes"; they've since reformed in the early 2000's and have released two further albums, but I haven't listened to either of them). Purtenance and Sentenced (again, I am referring only to both bands' debut albums, "Member of Immortal Damnation" resp. "Shadows of Past", especially Sentenced have changed style drastically over the years) are similar to Demigod in their emphasis on melody and mood, although both lean far more towards typical Scandinavian death metal stylistically; but they retain the less aggressive, more atmospheric feel and varied song-structure.

Demigod - "Slumber of Sullen Eyes": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BefcpGAJsHQ

Purtenance - "Black Vision": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-oHAeLGR4w

Sentenced - "When the Moment of Death Arrives": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4Xs34R3mk

Then there's Impetuous Ritual from Australia, who do quite remind me of Desolate Shrine, although they have none of the yearning atmosphere of Desolate Shrine's music, instead opting for a darker, more "occult" and "ritualistic" approach to their death metal (this probably puts them closer to Sonne Adam and Necros Christos, but do give them a try).

Impetuous Ritual - "Ritual of the Crypt": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3o0kPvFFlI

Mythic from the US are more of a traditional death metal outfit, less musically refined and complex, more primitive and bludgeoning, but they definitely create an eerie, dark atmosphere totally unique to their sound.

Mythic - "Winter Solstice": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF9M0vetBB0

Excoriate from Germany have a strong, but balanced (traditional) black metal influence to their style which shows most prominently in their sense of melody.

Excoriate - "Voice of Damnation / On Pestilent Winds ...": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXLK1QneyJ8

Also, again in reference to the Sonne Adam and Necros Christos recommendations you've mentioned, give Mefitic from Italy a try, you might enjoy them more than the aforementioned bands: http://mefitic.bandcamp.com/

Much appreciated! I am familiar with Demigod, Purtenance, and Sentenced, and they're definite favourites in that vein. The other recs sound great, and exactly what I'm after. Thanks for such an extensive reply, and glad to hear you enjoyed Desolate Shrine!

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:57 am 

I'm looking for brutal death metal:

Some midpaced parts, but no slams
Ideally choruses or other vocal hooks (a la Blasphemy Made Flesh)
As few leads over the top as possible (as in the sort of thing where a lead guitar plays an octave or so above the riff), and certainly as few pinch harmonics as possible
An inherent sense of melody in the riffing.

Basically I'm looking for worship of early Cryptopsy, maybe with a few more 'brutal' elements. I don't know the BDM genre well at all, but I do know the very obvious stuff.

Cheers.

gummyfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:27 am 

Does anyone know of good (european style) American death or progressive/melodic death? from what i've heard, american bands tend to favor rhythm and heaviness while melody takes a back seat. European bands like Dark Tranquility, Opeth, Empereror (Black but still good), early in flames, etc. are the kinds of bands i'm looking for. i also prefer higher pitch vocals over the lower gutteral style. Death is pretty much the only american death metal band i've heard and enjoyed. i know this is kinda vague but any help is appreciated.

Last edited by gummyfish on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZEROMETAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:57 pm 

gummyfish wrote:
Does anyone know of good (european style) American death or progressive/melodic death? from what i've heard, american bands tend to favor rhythm and heaviness while melody takes a back seat. European bands like Dark Tranquility, Opeth, Empereror (Black but still good), early in flames, etc. are the kinds of bands i'm looking for. i also prefer higher pitch vocals over the loxer gutteral style. Death is pretty much the only american death metal band i've heard and enjoyed. i know this is kinda vague but any help is appreciated.

Grey Skies Fallen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc4MbCI_jAI
... they do calm the heaviness down a bit on many of their tracks too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ya3VK-RvR8

Far East metal? Oh yes. Click.

IanEr13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:46 pm 

Hi, I'm looking for some technical death metal with some experimental or progressive qualities.
I know a lot of tech death is full of "soulless wankery" which I enjoy, but I'm looking for something that adds to that with some real song structure...or even lack of structure like something highly experimental. hope this isn't too vague.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm 

IanEr13 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for some technical death metal with some experimental or progressive qualities.
I know a lot of tech death is full of "soulless wankery" which I enjoy, but I'm looking for something that adds to that with some real song structure...or even lack of structure like something highly experimental. hope this isn't too vague.

Here's a chance to recommend my favourite Latvian band! Enjoy. :)

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:54 am 

IanEr13 wrote:

If you don't care about vocals you should check out Electro Quarterstaff.

http://willowtip.bandcamp.com/album/aykroyd
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:07 pm 

Anyone have any recommendations for, what is apparently best labeled as, "brutal technical death metal". Stuff like Fleshgod Apocalypse, Aeon, and Bloodbath(The Peter Tagtgren one only, can't really get into the other albums). I really like the productions on these things and the drums always sound really nice, and the vocals should hopefully be as clear as possible while still being a good growl, I don't stuff like Septic Flesh for comparison, the vocals sound to nasally. Also somewhat related but has anyone heard the new Aeon album, listening to it right now and it kicks major ass.

Might as well also add, I kind of also want some good melo-death as well. I don't know much about the genre but I do enjoy things like Dethklok(come on, the new album is pretty damn good) and This Ending. I know the genres aren't really the same but I like it. Give me some good melo-death please?

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 pm 

Garchomp4ever wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations for, what is apparently best labeled as, "brutal technical death metal". Stuff like Fleshgod Apocalypse, Aeon, and Bloodbath(The Peter Tagtgren one only, can't really get into the other albums). I really like the productions on these things and the drums always sound really nice, and the vocals should hopefully be as clear as possible while still being a good growl, I don't stuff like Septic Flesh for comparison, the vocals sound to nasally. Also somewhat related but has anyone heard the new Aeon album, listening to it right now and it kicks major ass.

Bloodbath isn't even remotely technical brutal dm. You're looking for stuff like Nile, Aborted, Demilich, Dying Fetus, and to some extent Origin, Gorguts, Vile and Decrepit Birth.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Garchomp4ever wrote:

Bloodbath isn't even remotely technical brutal dm. You're looking for stuff like Nile, Aborted, Demilich, Dying Fetus, and to some extent Origin, Gorguts, Vile and Decrepit Birth.

Some of those aren't TBDM either. :p

The easy recommendation would be Hour Of Penance. The hard one would be Scrambled Defuncts. ;)

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:39 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:

Well you can say Aeon kind of is as well as Fleshgod, I just threw in Bloodbath because they have a somewhat similar sound. Thanks for the recommendations.

androdion wrote:
The easy recommendation would be Hour Of Penance. The hard one would be Scrambled Defuncts. ;)

And thank you too.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 pm 

Garchomp4ever wrote:

Might as well also add, I kind of also want some good melo-death as well. I don't know much about the genre but I do enjoy things like Dethklok(come on, the new album is pretty damn good) and This Ending. I know the genres aren't really the same but I like it. Give me some good melo-death please?

The new Aeon kicks major ass, though I've not yet heard the entire album, I have heard samples from the whole album and a song or two. Looking forward to hearing the rest.

As for brutal tech death I would check out:

Malignancy
Omnihility
Unfathomable Ruination
Deadly Remains
Visceral Throne
Vengeful
Severe Torture
Anata
Monumental Torment

ZEROMETAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:56 pm 

Garchomp4ever wrote:

You need some Disarmonia Mundi in your life, dude :thumbsup:

Far East metal? Oh yes. Click.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:21 am 

Looking for some current good death metal. I've been thinking of trying Morbus Chron but it seems too similar to Autopsy and possibly Horrendous.

Here is a list of bands old and new I've been digging on for the past couple of months:

Oldschool:
Merciless
Repulsion
Asphyx
Unanimated
Disgrace
Depravity
Atomic Aggressor
Pentagram (chile)
Centinex
Convulse
Death Strike
Massacra
Incantation
Possessed
Purtenance
Sadistic Intent

New?
Blaspherian
Ectovoid
Grave Miasma
Necros Christos
Cruciamentum
Obliteration (most underrated)
Dead Congregation

and well, I get more excited about finding oldschool releases and am skeptical about anything that is new

I feel we live in the era of "have your cake and eat it too" metal, you want Exodus riffs with Carcass vocals? 5 bands got you covered. You Autopsy with more extended Incantation like passages, there's 15 of them getting signed right now. There doesn't seem to be much that sticks out, there's bands that copy other bands so good it's like they're trying to devalue the originals. There's fucking good albums coming out every week but I want something great and unique.

What is a new death metal album that has blown your mind?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:39 am 

Varth wrote:
and well, I get more excited about finding oldschool releases and am skeptical about anything that is new

I feel we live in the era of "have your cake and eat it too" metal, you want Exodus riffs with Carcass vocals? 5 bands got you covered. You Autopsy with more extended Incantation like passages, there's 15 of them getting signed right now. There doesn't seem to be much that sticks out, there's bands that copy other bands so good it's like they're trying to devalue the originals. There's fucking good albums coming out every week but I want something great and unique.

You're sceptical about anything that's new, but there's good albums coming out every week? :scratch:

Anyway, just very recently, 7 H. Target has been blowing my mind. If you're into brutal stuff, and I get the feeling you're not, or at least not in the slamming sense, check out Fast-Slow Demolition.

For new-old-school stuff, Teitanblood's Seven Chalices is basically top of that list. Evil and crushing. Binah's Hallucinating in Resurrecture is really great, too. I don't think these are unique enough for you but check them out anyway.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:45 am 

Seconding Seven Chalices, it's absolutely immense.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

kakanak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:21 am 

Hey guys... can you please recommend me of a progressive death metal bands, which their music is similar to Dream Theater's?
I don't want really similar to DT, but, im looking for prog death metal with long solos and instrumental parts.
Thanks!

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 am 

Varth wrote:

You gotta check out Execration - Odes of the Occult, especially since you like Obliteration. Best album of last year for me.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:36 am 

Varth wrote:
you want Exodus riffs with Carcass vocals? 5 bands got you covered.

What are these bands? I must know!

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:17 pm 

Thanks for all the responses.

7 H. Target isn't my cup o death metal tea, however the album cover is an awesome tribute to Tetsuo The Iron Man. I think I appreciate the idea of BDM more than the actual music itself, also its something I enjoy live more than hearing on CD. Wormed, Malignancy and Pathology are fucking killer live bands but I can't make it 2 minutes through a CD without checking the time and looking for something else. But on that note, is old Disgorge (Mex) considered BDM? That shit is horrendously abrasive and brutal as fuck, but there's no popping snares or easy to dance to urbran/groove influences (biggest turnoff for me).

I have for some reason totally neglected to get any Teitanblood, thanks for all the recommendations, Execration, Binah, all that stuff, thanks

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:27 pm 

Garchomp4ever wrote:

Mors Principium Est is some really fast melo-death with electronics. Dethklok has some nice leads and This Ending has some nice electronics, so this has both, but it doesn't really sound like either.
Blood Stain Child has lots of electronic and Japanese influence.
Echidna falls into the incredible leads directory, and has a thrash influence. Please note the song I linked is only four and a half minutes long.
I second Disarmonia Mundi. Gatherum started an awesome thread for this very thing, and many of the bands I mentioned are likely on that thread as well as a bunch of others.
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:23 pm 

pbsisbad wrote:
Garchomp4ever wrote:

Mors Principium Est is some really fast melo-death with electronics. Dethklok has some nice leads and This Ending has some nice electronics, so this has both, but it doesn't really sound like either.
Blood Stain Child has lots of electronic and Japanese influence.
Echidna falls into the incredible leads directory, and has a thrash influence. Please note the song I linked is only four and a half minutes long.
I second Disarmonia Mundi. Gatherum started an awesome thread for this very thing, and many of the bands I mentioned are likely on that thread as well as a bunch of others.

Oooh, thank you very much. I'll be sure to check all of that out.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 am 

I'm looking for brutal death metal that has more slow slamming and less brutal chugging. I like 7 H. Target, but it doesn't have to be technical. It may help though, because the only brutal bands I've liked so far besides skinless have been technical, I think.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:26 am 

im looking for stuff similar to later Origin. You know the hyper technical , hyper fast, percussive dark atmopsheric DM with the sweeps etc and the varied vocals.

while many bands fit the description on paper, what sets Origin apart for me is :
- crystaline productions where you can hear every syllable, note and drum hit
- catchy songs that harken back to a more classic DM songwriting era, yet enframed within the ultra modern structure

and no, Unmerciful aint it

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:06 pm 

Garchomp4ever wrote:

Might as well also add, I kind of also want some good melo-death as well. I don't know much about the genre but I do enjoy things like Dethklok(come on, the new album is pretty damn good)

Heh, this is pretty fun. Pity the show is so boring.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:36 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Garchomp4ever wrote:

Might as well also add, I kind of also want some good melo-death as well. I don't know much about the genre but I do enjoy things like Dethklok(come on, the new album is pretty damn good)

Heh, this is pretty fun. Pity the show is so boring.

The show can be a little lackluster sometimes but for the most part it's pretty funny, and Dethalbum III is definitely the best Dethklok album, good even if you're not a fan of the show.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:59 am 

I love Deadly Remains' newest album, "Severing Humanity" but I cannot stand the vocals.

Can someone rec me some brutal death just like Deadly Remains but with less guttural vocals?

Thanks in advance.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:39 pm 

suleiman wrote:
im looking for stuff similar to later Origin. You know the hyper technical , hyper fast, percussive dark atmopsheric DM with the sweeps etc and the varied vocals.

while many bands fit the description on paper, what sets Origin apart for me is :
- catchy songs that harken back to a more classic DM songwriting era, yet enframed within the ultra modern structure

Omnihility - Biogenesis (2012). <---------if you like Origin but want something different this is the ultimate ticket.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:
I love Deadly Remains' newest album, "Severing Humanity" but I cannot stand the vocals.

Can someone rec me some brutal death just like Deadly Remains but with less guttural vocals?

Thanks in advance.

Pathology would be the closest, but the vocals are similar. I happen to love both bands' vocals and think they fit the music perfectly. You could try Insision or the new Aeon; Visceral Throne, Defeated Sanity, Disgorge (U.S.), and Sepsism.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:01 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Omnihility - Biogenesis (2012). <---------if you like Origin but want something different this is the ultimate ticket.

This wasn't for me but god damn this sounds awesome. Thanks for the name drop.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

This wasn't for me but god damn this sounds awesome. Thanks for the name drop.

Glad to hear it, man. They are a local band from my area (Eugene, OR) and that is their debut album on Sevared Records. Killer band live, too, and I hope they get a good tour after releasing such a kick ass album. I bought the CD, which is only $10.00 and free shipping. Well worth the purchase...and I don't buy too many CDs. ;)

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:26 pm 

kakanak wrote:
Hey guys... can you please recommend me of a progressive death metal bands, which their music is similar to Dream Theater's?
I don't want really similar to DT, but, im looking for prog death metal with long solos and instrumental parts.
Thanks!

These first three focus on solos and technicality, similarly to Dream Theater:
Obscura
Death
Beyond Creation
The next few are a little less technical, but are still quite progressive:
Opeth
Pressure Points
In Vain
These are melodic prog death:
Kälter
Loch Vostok
In Mourning
Hung
Into Eternity
Finally, these two are extreme progressive metal. I wouldn't make the distinction, but these are more diverse and less strictly death metal:
Ikuinen Kaamos
Ne Obliviscaris
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:42 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
suleiman wrote:

i just heard this and damn its awesome.....thanks for the tip.....
will listen more and give my impressions.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 pm 

As always, I'm looking for those death metal bands that implement quite a bit of melody in their songwriting without being melodeath. A perfect point of reference would be Anata's debut album Infernal Depths of Hatred. The melodies and melodic riffs are the central part of the music in most songs, although there's a fair amount of quite unmelodic and even atonal death metal riffing. Schälin has a brilliant ear for melody, and the melodies' quality is important in my request.

Some other bands that might fit the bill:
Intestine Baalism debut
Eucharist debut
Psychrist (though I'd prefer the melodies play a bigger role)
Or, remember the twin guitar melodies on Opeth's first two albums?

It need not be tech-deathy like Anata or gloomy and twisted like Intestine Baalism. I'd prefer better production than Eucharist's debut. Rawness is not an issue, actually, but the production on Velvet Creation simply sounds rather poor.

Sigh... Since apparently the new Anata album will be Released When You Are Dead.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:55 pm 

Have you ever heard those bands from Slovakia I like so much? Early Depresy and Amorbital would fit the bill. Also you might want to check out Apophis' Heliopolis.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:05 pm 

Varth wrote:

Definitely seconding Teitanblood (though its points of genius only take on their full stature on headphones), and adding Pseudogod's Deathwomb Catechesis and especially Blut Aus Nord's What Once Was... Liber I as excellent pieces of blackened death that have unique flavors.

This reminds me though.... aaaaahhh someone please help me remember, I'm trying to remember a newer death metal release that was getting praised a lot here on the Archives, I think it was possibly death/doom from the US, and the cover art was beige, very simple with just some stamped-looking text and some little skeletons on it or something. Fuck... I know this sounds painfully vague but if it jogs anyone's mind, do let me know. People were mentioning it several times on threads about notable newer death releases. Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, it was Drowned.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 am 

androdion wrote:
Have you ever heard those bands from Slovakia I like so much? Early Depresy and Amorbital would fit the bill. Also you might want to check out Apophis' Heliopolis.

Depresy rings some bells, but I don't have an album by them. Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. I don't think I have any Slovakian death metal, actually.

Dubhar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:11 am 

Don't suppose anybody could link me to some melodeth bands that have unconventional song structures/ frequently add in elements of other genres (not necessarily just other breeds of metal or symphonic parts), ye olde iPod is starting to get stale. Multi-layering keyboard players and varying vocal styles would be a bonus.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:25 am 

Dubhar wrote:
Don't suppose anybody could link me to some melodeth bands that have unconventional song structures/ frequently add in elements of other genres (not necessarily just other breeds of metal or symphonic parts), ye olde iPod is starting to get stale. Multi-layering keyboard players and varying vocal styles would be a bonus.

Do you know In Mourning or Disillusion?

CremeAndSugar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:36 am 

Hey, I'm looking for death metal similar to Cattle Decapitation's new album. I mean, I've tried to like some death metal lots of times, but it just didn't work for me. But yeah, when I heard Monolith of Inhumanity, it blew me away, and I listened to it a lot. Didn't like Cattle's other stuff THAT MUCH, though. Any ideas?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 289  Next