Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:56 pm 

Anyone know why these were never released? I mean, the title track, But Life Goes On and The Truth Beyond have lyrics that are released, but I'd really like to know the rest of them. It's easily my favorite death metal album, so I'd like to have lyrics to complete it all together. Or it's mission impossible?

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:21 pm 

Been asking myself the same question.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:51 pm 

Maybe the band didn't publish them because they didn't want other bands to cover their own songs.
At least that's the reason why Gororoth never published their own lyrics.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:31 pm 

KFD wrote:
Maybe the band didn't publish them because they didn't want other bands to cover their own songs.

What a petty, stupidly protectionist thing to do : /

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:25 pm 

KFD wrote:

I own "Clandestine" and "To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak the Truth" and both albums have full lyrics.

It may simply be that the band never bothered to put them in the original or re-issue booklets? I have always wondered this myself, honestly. Especially because the lyrics of L.G. (I assume he wrote the lyrics?) were great back then, as opposed to the stuff they would eventually start writing which is just ridiculous.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:18 am 

That's strange. I'm enough of an Entombed fan to have nearly everything on CD, and it didn't occur to me that they haven't published lyrics for it. I'll have to go and check my booklet now.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:42 am 

KFD wrote:

Entombed doesn't seem like a band that would not publish lyrics because of that. They seem more like guys that would enjoy to hear bands cover their songs, but then again, who knows?

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:27 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
KFD wrote:

I own "Clandestine" and "To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak the Truth" and both albums have full lyrics.

It may simply be that the band never bothered to put them in the original or re-issue booklets? I have always wondered this myself, honestly. Especially because the lyrics of L.G. (I assume he wrote the lyrics?) were great back then, as opposed to the stuff they would eventually start writing which is just ridiculous.

I doubt it, the lyrics are NOWHERE to be found, and every single album after that one has full lyrics included. And yes, lyrics were brilliant, I almost succeded in decyphering some of them ('Drowned' seems coolest), but it's nowhere near complete. A lot of albums in the old school swedish death metal didn't have lyrics included, but why did it have to be LHP? :(

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:37 pm 

Speaking of LHP lyrics heres a great excerpt:

"Bury you in a fruit cellar" - Supposed to Rot

Love it, Entombed rules.

BTW Metalion and his Slayer Mag had a lot of fun with that line when they interviewed some uppity 2nd wave Norwegian BM band. Said band, Darkthrone iirc, was down playing the mighty Stockholm Sweden DM scene and being downright nasty to some of the bigger players. They thought Stockholm was not kvlt enough and way too trendy and hipster. What a bunch of cunts those early Norwegians. Who in the end stayed more underground! Death metal or black metal; history has proven them wrong. hahaha.

Another funny antedote regarding lyrics is that Dismember would not play "Pieces" and "I Wish You Hell" live from the Pieces EP, because Matti lost the lyrics somewhere in Poland and they had no idea what they sang on the recording. Haha, fucking Dismember what bunch of characters (R.I.P.)!

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:05 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
Who in the end stayed more underground! Death metal or black metal; history has proven them wrong. hahaha.

Umm...

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:53 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Delta_Wing wrote:
Who in the end stayed more underground! Death metal or black metal; history has proven them wrong. hahaha.

Umm...

There is no umm about it. BM tried to be the antithesis to the death metal trend, now it's regarded as the biggest trend to happen to metal. Fenriz even states that in an interview. More album sales, more books, more documentaries. Definitely a bigger cultural impact due to it's notorioty. BM in all it's forms is more mainstream now than dm ever was. Not that bm is what mainstream people listen to, but its more interesting for all of the controversy surrounding it. Plus bands like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu, etc just to name a few have brought it international fame and spotlight. Varg appearing on the cover of kerrang after the killing of Euronymous was the gate way to the mainstream. Like it or not thats what happened. All the truest basement lo fi recordings will ever take that back.

Last edited by Delta_Wing on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:55 pm 

I can only think that the songs were done when they were in Nihilist and the lyrics were forgotten or just made up at the time maybe? I don't know.

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:57 am 

But still they play most of them live nowadays, and I doubt Petrov gurgles some vowels without sense. Nah, they just aren't published as far as I think. :S

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
There is no umm about it. BM tried to be the antithesis to the death metal trend, now it's regarded as the biggest trend to happen to metal. Fenriz even states that in an interview. More album sales, more books, more documentaries. Definitely a bigger cultural impact due to it's notorioty. BM in all it's forms is more mainstream now than dm ever was. Not that bm is what mainstream people listen to, but its more interesting for all of the controversy surrounding it. Plus bands like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu, etc just to name a few have brought it international fame and spotlight. Varg appearing on the cover of kerrang after the killing of Euronymous was the gate way to the mainstream. Like it or not thats what happened. All the truest basement lo fi recordings will ever take that back.

Actually, I often see people online saying they don't like metal apart from certain black metal bands.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:14 pm 

I will ask LG myself and I hope that I will get an answer. He can be a bit neglecting on his Facebook page.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:47 am 

That would be awesome Porman! :thumbsup:

Hopefully you get a reply (and some lyrics).

My collection

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:17 am 

I wouldn't count on it. His inbox probably gets flooded with mail, so I guess he might miss it.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:21 am 

Smalley wrote:
KFD wrote:

What a petty, stupidly protectionist thing to do : /

Can't be that, seeing as Aborted covered the song 'Drowned' on the Haematobic EP.

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:17 am 

Porman wrote:
I will ask LG myself and I hope that I will get an answer. He can be a bit neglecting on his Facebook page.

Yes, it would be nice if you are able to. Much appreciated. :)

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:23 am 

First, the band still play songs from Left Hand Path live, wich induces that they haven't forgotten or lost the lyrics.

Second, this album was released 22 years ago now, and has become an all-time classic, praised and covered by thousands of metalheads - but the lyrics are still nowhere to be found, except 3 songs. I seriously doubt that this not a choice from the band.

Third, the lyrics from 3 songs were published entirely, which proves that the band want to publish only those 3 songs.

Why won't they publish the rest of the lyrics? The answer is still a mystery.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:21 pm 

KFD wrote:
First, the band still play songs from Left Hand Path live, wich induces that they haven't forgotten or lost the lyrics.
You mean implies. Anyhow, they'd be fools to ignore their legacy. Left Hand Path remains an undisputable death metal classic.

KFD wrote:
Second, this album was released 22 years ago now, and has become an all-time classic, praised and covered by thousands of metalheads - but the lyrics are still nowhere to be found, except 3 songs. I seriously doubt that this not a choice from the band.

Third, the lyrics from 3 songs were published entirely, which proves that the band want to publish only those 3 songs.

One can only assume that they consider the lyrics too embarassing to release publicly. Then again, having only recently written poetry like "When in Sodom", one can only wonder.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
One can only assume that they consider the lyrics too embarassing to release publicly.

And yet they have no problem publishing this ("When it hits home")?

Spoiler: show
Greed
It's really no mystery
Where these people come from is so fucking plain to see
They fist-fuck the planet and smile
And lick their fingers clean

Hey
You're better than all the rest
You're god's special creature
Intelligence at it's best
You fist-suck the planet in style
And lick your fingers clean
But now you wake up in a pile of shit
Gone is the dream

[Chorus:]
And you scream but there's no-one there
You got to pay your own fare
Your dick is sore and you're all alone
Hurts like hell when it hits home

Now, listen
Prepare to suck cock in hell
It's really not all that bad once you get past the smell

You fist-fucked the planet and smiled
And licked your fingers clean
As gods come and go
You did not make the winning team

[chorus]

You're god's special little creature

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:51 pm 

From what I managed to decipher, the lyrics are probably very good, like those 3 tracks, I doubt it's embarrassment, and yes, almost every song from the album gets played sometimes, so they do know the lyrics as I doubt LG improvises and says random things whose vowels match.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:42 am 

enigmatech wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
One can only assume that they consider the lyrics too embarassing to release publicly.

Greed
It's really no mystery

Hey
Gone is the dream

Now, listen

As gods come and go

[chorus]

Is this an attack on the Jews?

Ilwhyan wrote:
You mean implies.

Yes, thanks for editing.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:47 am 

KFD wrote:

Greed
It's really no mystery

Hey
Gone is the dream

Now, listen

As gods come and go

[chorus]

Is this an attack on the Jews?

It may as well be an attack on the Christian Right, Catholics, Capitalists, George Bush, Haliburton, etc...

It's a stretch going for anti semitism here. I've listened to that song a lot and never came away from it with that. I guess people can see any thing in lyrics that they want to see. Want to see Anti-semitism, it's got to be anti-semitism. Better get on the horn with the anti-defamation league.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 pm 

KFD wrote:

Sure, and as nice as it is to cover a band's music, it's just a courtesey for bands to include lyrics; they really don't have to do it.

I suspect the answer is something like what someone said above: the lyrics are old and/or forgotten. maybe the band wasn't proud of them and so just didn't feel like publishing. WHo knows?

What songs from lhP does Entombed play these days? I've only ever heard them do the title track.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:05 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
What songs from lhP does Entombed play these days? I've only ever heard them do the title track.

Yep I thought the exact same thing. Granted I have not seen them in 6+ years, but they didn't play anything off of LHP and only one song iirc off of Clandestine.

Not sure what they played at MDF or on the "Master's of Death Tour" a couple of years ago with Unleashed, Dismember and Grave, could have included more material from LHP. Maybe someone can chime in.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm 

They only played the title track at MDF. It was awful. They only had one guitarist at the time and he totally butchered the end part. In fact the whole band sounded completely wasted.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:42 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
They only played the title track at MDF. It was awful. They only had one guitarist at the time and he totally butchered the end part. In fact the whole band sounded completely wasted.

Yep with Uffe and especially Nicke gone they just haven't been the same. Still like them, but nothing can top the golden era of this band with LG, Nicke, Alex, Lars and Uffe.

Really hope that they improve now that they are a five piece again and write a worthy come back in the vein of the first two albums. Without Nicke I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. Hope it beats Serpent Saints, which in it's own right had a few memorable moments, but could not recapture the old spark.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ksN149I00

Hell, who has never wanted to cover "Supposed to Rot"?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:42 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
vengefulgoat wrote:
Umm...

Maybe it's because I live in America, but I am certain taht death metal was a waaayyy bigger trend.

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:26 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
KFD wrote:

Revel In Flesh and Supposed To Rot are regulars. They can also include Drowned if in the mood for it. I'm not making it up, check setlist.fm

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:35 pm 

I tend to agree with Delta. I think death metal probably sold more records in the US and perhaps internationally, but the numbers it sold over black metal renders that argument really pointless on a national/global level. No one has ever tried to make a movie about the story of Tampa's death metal scene in Hollywood. I also don't believe the majority of artists involved in black metal in Norway were intentionally seeking obscurity. Quite the opposite. The fans and following waves of artists, perhaps. Not those guys, by and large.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 am 

godsonsafari wrote:
No one has ever tried to make a movie about the story of Tampa's death metal scene in Hollywood. I also don't believe the majority of artists involved in black metal in Norway were intentionally seeking obscurity.

That was my initial point 100% during my little hi jack. Hehe.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:43 pm 

Got an answer from LG a few minutes ago and he says he can't remember why they weren't published in the booklet, but he will write them down when he gets the time and feels up to it.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:08 pm 

Awesome

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 pm 

Porman wrote:
Got an answer from LG a few minutes ago and he says he can't remember why they weren't published in the booklet, but he will write them down when he gets the time and feels up to it.

Thanks a lot mate, much appreciated. :)

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:03 pm 

So, how's it going so far?

Reply to topic