Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OmegaMitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 pm 

So far, Panzerfaust and Total Death have been released via Peaceville in the form of 2 CD super jewel case editions with the second disc being commentary of the album from Fenriz and Nocturno, and in the form of vinyl releases.

Anyone have any idea which albums they're planning to re-release altogether? Total Death received new artwork, and I know they're re-releasing Goatlord and Ravishing Grimness with new art based on a fan submission contest. I'm wondering if maybe I just missed the news announcing all the albums that would be re-released.

Nonetheless it's a great opportunity for a vinyl late-bloomer like me to add some Darkthrone to my collection, and for us Darkthrone fanboys to get wet over Fenriz and Nocturno commentary.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:50 pm 

Awesome will be picking up Panzerfaust soon.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:53 pm 

The useless bonus features and the replacement of perfectly good artwork don't exactly appeal to me.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:15 pm 

That Total Death artwork is from the original vinyl edition which I much prefer compared to the original CD version, which never seemed right to me. I'm glad they're replacing it. I didn't realise they'd re-released Total Death with a bonus disc too. For me, that was a bit of a let down compared to the first 5 albums although it still contained a few great songs. I bought Panzerfaust several weeks ago and it's quite informative. Fenriz is really great and quite amusing throughout. They've also released Isengard's Hostmorke with a bonus disc. Haven't got that one yet.

Werewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:52 pm 

I think Peaceville reissued some other old Darkthrone albums on vinyl some months ago, didn't they?

Infernal Rock N' Roll!

OmegaMitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:52 pm 

Werewolf wrote:
I think Peaceville reissued some other old Darkthrone albums on vinyl some months ago, didn't they?

Yup: A Blaze In The Northern Sky, and Under A Funeral Moon.

I'm hoping for a reissue of Soulside Journey on vinyl. If they're reissuing Goatlord, Soulside Journey definitely isn't out of the question.

Werewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:53 pm 

Couldn't agree more about Soulside Journey. I'd rather not take my chances with the PicLP made by BACK ON BLACK, which is also pretty pricey for what you get, if memory serves me well.

Infernal Rock N' Roll!

OmegaMitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:59 pm 

Werewolf wrote:
Couldn't agree more about Soulside Journey. I'd rather not take my chances with the PicLP made by BACK ON BLACK, which is also pretty pricey for what you get, if memory serves me well.

I've heard that picture discs have slightly lower audio quality, is that what you mean by taking your chances? Is this also true with colored discs? I wouldn't think so, at least not 180g ones, since they're becoming pretty common right now, but I don't know that much about vinyl.

Looks like Peaceville actually has A Blaze in stock on vinyl. *orders*

Werewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:08 pm 

I never bother to buy 2 different vinyl versions of the same album, neither do I use super duper high end equipment to listen to some raw and dirty Metal, so I'm not an expert who can tell what the difference between a PicLP's sound and a regular one's is all about. But BACK ON BLACK do have a reputation of a "let's just do it, this album will sell anyway..." label, that puts out releases that don't necessarily justify their prices, hence I prefer to avoid their stuff. As for whatever amount of grams vinyl - I'm yet to find a 30 years old "light weight" record that sounds worse than these nowadays so common "heavy vinyl" records. Just some stuff to think about...

Infernal Rock N' Roll!

KingMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:14 pm 

droneriot wrote:
The useless bonus features and the replacement of perfectly good artwork don't exactly appeal to me.

+1

OmegaMitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:42 pm 

Werewolf wrote:
I never bother to buy 2 different vinyl versions of the same album, neither do I use super duper high end equipment to listen to some raw and dirty Metal, so I'm not an expert who can tell what the difference between a PicLP's sound and a regular one's is all about. But BACK ON BLACK do have a reputation of a "let's just do it, this album will sell anyway..." label, that puts out releases that don't necessarily justify their prices, hence I prefer to avoid their stuff. As for whatever amount of grams vinyl - I'm yet to find a 30 years old "light weight" record that sounds worse than these nowadays so common "heavy vinyl" records. Just some stuff to think about...

I appreciate the reputation knowledge regarding BACK ON BLACK, as I was considering ordering three Opeth vinyls from them (Orchid/Morningrise/MAYH). After a little research, the opinion is far too mixed. Time to hunt on Amazon and eBay.

But yeah, I guess they're just announcing the reissues as they go.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:53 pm 

They should make a Panzerfaust reissue 2LP so we can listen to Fenriz ramble on vinyl.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 pm 

They are re-releasing all the Moonfog albums by the way.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

GoldenBull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:18 am 

I emailed Peaceville about this not too long ago. Apparently Transilvanian Hunger and Soulside Journey are being repressed on LP too, but for some random reason they are delayed until after the mid-era albums.

Werewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:29 am 

^ glad to see on this board too bro ;-)
And it's great news (the SSJ repress!)

Infernal Rock N' Roll!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:59 pm 

I have the Panzerfaust reissue, and I'd say it's worth it. It comes in one of those cool new super digipacks, and Fenriz's commentary is pretty interesting and obviously sometimes hilarious.

defyexistance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:44 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Totally agree
"Our bodies will turn to ashes, our bones will fade to dust, our lives will be forgotten, all our dreams crushed... reality, perception, biased by our egos, mutilated by our superegos, I transcend these for now I am one with the void."-Eclipse Eternal

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:59 pm 

defyexistance wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Totally agree

I think the Ravishing Grimness artwork is a big improvement, actually. But when you own the originals there's no real point of buying them again. It'll be interesting to hear the commentary, but it's not worth buying them again.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:33 am 

has anyone listened to the Goatlord - reissue commentary CD?

fenris does an ok job of explaining the first half then nocturno culto 'explains' the last half. actually he says fuck all worth listening to, total bollocks. i expect anyone that bought this is feeling pretty ripped off

steer clear of this reissue

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:01 am 

I picked up Ravishing Grimness CD because I fuckin lost mine years ago.
Couldn't give a shit about bonus CD.
Liked new artwork, though.

QuoteKiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:59 am 

OmegaMitch wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

I've heard that picture discs have slightly lower audio quality, is that what you mean by taking your chances? Is this also true with colored discs? I wouldn't think so, at least not 180g ones, since they're becoming pretty common right now, but I don't know that much about vinyl.

Looks like Peaceville actually has A Blaze in stock on vinyl. *orders*

Picture discs always have more surface noise. I have an Ozzy pLP which says right on the back that the quality is less than the standard vinyl. It still sounds pretty good though. I've got a few Back On Black vinyls, I've never thought any of them to be low quality releases.

I might have to pick up Under A Funeral Moon if that's been rereleased on vinyl.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:39 am 

I thought Fenriz's commentary on Panzerfaust was very interesting. I'm looking forward to buying Total Death at some point. I hope Fenriz touched upon why the song "Total Death" was not featured on the Darkthrone album, but the Isengard album. So strange. *Goes off to order the CD*.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:44 am 

p0wnn00b wrote:
I thought Fenriz's commentary on Panzerfaust was very interesting. I'm looking forward to buying Total Death at some point. I hope Fenriz touched upon why the song "Total Death" was not featured on the Darkthrone album, but the Isengard album. So strange. *Goes off to order the CD*.

Probably because he wanted to do vocals on it, I reckon. For most of their career it was the done thing that Nocturno did all of the lead vocals. It's funny though because 'Total Death' the song is better than anything on Total Death the album. :P

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:28 pm 

The Fenriz commentary tracks are actually rather interesting to listen to. The Culto ones suck though. It just doesn't sound like he cares too much. Maybe the Ravishing Grimness ones will be better.
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
It's funny though because 'Total Death' the song is better than anything on Total Death the album. :P

No way, stuff like "Majestic Desolate Eye" and "The Serpent's Harvest" are some of the best black metal tracks Darkthrone ever did. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think that Total Death is a really great album. Excellent follow-up to Panzerfaust, and it would have made an acceptable capstone to their career (which is what it was originally intended to be) if Ravishing Grimness and Plaguewielder weren't quite good as well. Anything later than that is pretty bad, though. The really funny thing about the "Total Death" song is how similar it sounds to the track "Blasphemer" off of the Total Death album.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:25 pm 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
The Fenriz commentary tracks are actually rather interesting to listen to. The Culto ones suck though. It just doesn't sound like he cares too much. Maybe the Ravishing Grimness ones will be better.
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
It's funny though because 'Total Death' the song is better than anything on Total Death the album. :P

No way, stuff like "Majestic Desolate Eye" and "The Serpent's Harvest" are some of the best black metal tracks Darkthrone ever did. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think that Total Death is a really great album. Excellent follow-up to Panzerfaust, and it would have made an acceptable capstone to their career (which is what it was originally intended to be) if Ravishing Grimness and Plaguewielder weren't quite good as well. Anything later than that is pretty bad, though. The really funny thing about the "Total Death" song is how similar it sounds to the track "Blasphemer" off of the Total Death album.

yes i remember Total Death was meant to be the final album in the Darkthrone saga. the album title being significant among other things. i always had a liking for this album, actually i might put it on now!

The Isengard albums are two of my fave and most played albums. such catchy song writing and the the track Total Death blows everything else out of the water, pure evil and aggression, love it

argento420
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 pm 

I have the panzerfaust reissue and I have to say I love the commentary disc. I could listen to Fenriz talk about not only all the darkthrone albums but I think he should do commentary on other ppls albums. Keep the reissues coming and fuck the complaining bitches.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 pm 

The commentary is very interesting. Fenriz goes into decent detail on some of the songs but keep in mind it's been recorded recently so on the Total Death commentary you'll hear a lot of "I hate this part because it's not metal from 1986," if you know what I mean.

Total Death is so underrated. I never understood the hate for it. It fits right in with their other material of that era and has a nice raw and aggressive approach to it. Bass drum could be a bit louder in the mix but that's not a major issue.

Speaking of Darkthrone piclps, I have Transilvanian Hunger and UaFM from Back on Black 2005 or so, and my copies skip and have missing vocal parts, so I'd avoid.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:27 am 

Total Death is one of my least listened to Darkthrone's, and I still really fucking like it.

Ripped every single Throne album I own on CD to my 360 yesterday for the sole purpose of playing Gears 3 and being very grim during the early stuff and very silly during the later stuff.

It is an item of constant amusement to me that in a genre where being GRIM and DARK is the law, that the best BM (Opinion. Don't fucking start.) is made by two silly 80s worshippers.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:13 am 

What a stupid idea to include a 2nd CD with the band's comments. I mean, what a better way to ruin the listening experience than adding a human voice commenting over the lowered-volume music? I'm not even discussing the comments here, since I won't listen to them. But why not just add a 12 or 24-page booklet including written comments for each song? The result sounds ridiculous, and the 2nd CD is a waste of space in the jewel-box.

I prefer the original CD artwork too. The only positive thing I can notice about this Total Death re-release is the "God of Disturbance and Friction" bonus track. I didn't know it, so I was a bit amazed when hearing it after the end of "Serpent's Harvest". Furthermore, because of the break, I thought there were 2 additional songs. About the bonus track itself, the production is cool and the song pretty good - a standard mid-era Darkthrone song.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:46 am 

I really need to add some more Darkthrone to my collection, at the moment i only own the first 4 albums

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:17 am 

KFD wrote:
What a stupid idea to include a 2nd CD with the band's comments. I mean, what a better way to ruin the listening experience than adding a human voice commenting over the lowered-volume music? I'm not even discussing the comments here, since I won't listen to them. But why not just add a 12 or 24-page booklet including written comments for each song? The result sounds ridiculous, and the 2nd CD is a waste of space in the jewel-box.

Ummm... a moron, you are? What better way to avoid ruining your listening experience by, get this, putting on the CD without the commentaries. And then, when you don't want to enjoy the music and want to hear the comments you, and this will probably once again astound you, will put on the CD with the commentaries. Really complicated stuff, I know, but you might get the hang of it if you try really hard. The space taken away by the second CD does make it harder to store your valuables in the jewel-box, I agree, but maybe you can find some other storage areas like the empty space between your cellphone's battery and the case covering it. As to why have spoken word commentary and not written, well, why the fuck not? It's more interesting and less premeditated and works better when addressing the individual songs and not the album as a whole.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 am 

You didn't understand my previous post. I said I cannot listen to the comments CD, because it would ruin the album's magic and ambience if I did. It would be like listening to Total Death in a disco bar or in a restaurant with hundreds of people around. I would eventually associate in my mind the best moments with the nasal voice of Fenriz.

Maybe Fenriz' comments are somewhat interesting, in spite of his ridiculous way of speaking English. I will probably never know, since I won't stand the association of the music and his comments.

So in the end, I just wanted to possess the CD album without spending more than 50€ on E-gay. Why was I more or less forced to buy this edition which contains a 2nd CD that I will never use? Why did Peaceville include this comments CD in all re-released editions, instead of letting the customers choose?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:05 am 

Enough of this thread necromancy.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.