Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 pm 

I'll never understand this technical vs songwriting, it under appreciates being able to play the instrument, purely for the need to feel superior, "Oh yeah they may play faster, better, overall more difficult music, but dude [insert generic artist here] has way more soul/better songwriting abilities". Technicality is real and can be measured, good songwriting exists only in the listeners head.

Case in point I was been in a music shop just doing some basic shit to get a feel for the guitar and this dude came up and he said "Man just play something REAL" so played a couple of licks to amuse him, he didn't seem appreciative and said "with FEELING, play a song you know, or are scales all you know?" so I played the most generic watered down blues licks in the most mechanic way I could muster, "See how much better it sounds when you feel it and put everything you got behind it?"

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:32 pm 

I don't care about skill. I'm assuming that if you're being professionally recorded, you can play your fucking instrument. Now I want to hear songs. Good lyrics and arranging. No overly busy or noisy drum parts. Just fucking good songs. Too much of this board is overloaded with this technical death black post-whatever bestial war regional nonsense. Most of it is unlistenable and yet it gets 8 paragraph term paper reviews. No, it's not worth god damn 90% if you have to explain it in 8 paragraphs.

Good lord. Overly technical extreme metal is just awful, in every sense. It strips away any driving, direct rhythms...it clogs up spaces where verses could be, and its audibly irritating. Well, irritating to 99% of music audiences but somehow its found a niche here. Don't bore us - get to the chorus. It bears repeating.

If I say I like Priest, Accept, Sodom (the rockier stuff), WASP, Exodus, Sabbath, King Diamond....people call it "entry level". Jesus fucking Christ. Talk about taking all the enjoyment out of hobby.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 pm 

If you don't enjoy the technical stuff, just don't listen to it; nobody's twisting your arm so there's no need to whine about it.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 pm 

I don't but it's the fact that there is a technical skill vs. songwriting argument.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:08 pm 

Have you ever thought that someone enjoys those compositions as well developed songs while you don't?

You have no definite opinion on what is good songwriting and what isn't. You just have a basis on what you enjoy and what you don't enjoy. You don't really have any sort of valid offerings of an arguement... just that you hate it and it shouldn't be enjoyed by all. It's better that you just don't frequent places or threads or boards that you fine don't suit your tastes. I don't go into every random thread of bands I dislike or don't care about and tell everyone that they shouldn't listen to it cause it's not good. You could exercise the same judgement.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:20 pm 

Well I'm trying to get into a new forum. I've been going to MA for years but with boards I always stuck to Metal-Rules or MetalSludge. I checked back at this forum (after probably 8 years) and was blown away by how its just talking about no-name extreme bands, the typical unreadable logo type. I have to go through a page of threads before I find one I recognize. Then I read terms like "entry level" and I just get disillusioned with the whole thing. It's hard not to just throw the laptop across the room.

I'll find a new thread.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:26 pm 

Yea maybe find a new forum as well, not being mean... but if you find it that upsetting that people you don't know pass judgement on bands you enjoy and your reaction is to get infuriated to the point you almost want to throw your laptop... it's not good for your health.

Maybe go check out in the recommendation forum where they have threads dedicated to traditional, speed/thrash... so on and so forth. Unless that's where you read that entry level comment from... then sorry about that.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:27 pm 

The new album is pretty crazy. I enjoy it haha but if anyone is expecting the song writing to sound more cohesive they will be disappointed. It is still the beautiful organized chaos behold the arctopus fans have learned to love.

What are your guys opinions on it

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:30 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea maybe find a new forum as well, not being mean... but if you find it that upsetting that people you don't know pass judgement on bands you enjoy and your reaction is to get infuriated to the point you almost want to throw your laptop... it's not good for your health.

Maybe go check out in the recommendation forum where they have threads dedicated to traditional, speed/thrash... so on and so forth. Unless that's where you read that entry level comment from... then sorry about that.

I rarely agree with you, Jared. But this time, well done!

I got the leak based on the album cover, haha, I don't remember their debut much but I'm rarely a fan of instrumental stuff, especially the cold and mecanical things. I'll check the album soon.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:31 pm 

thanks tony, I know we rarely ever agree.. How absurd is the cover art? I hope it's out there cause I always thought their art wasn't as crazy as i would've liked.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 pm 

here is the album cover

And here is the full cover piece

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:09 pm 

Now that's the kinda shit I would want to see and expect. Looks amazing!

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:37 am 

Exigence wrote:
I checked back at this forum (after probably 8 years) and was blown away by how its just talking about no-name extreme bands, the typical unreadable logo type. I have to go through a page of threads before I find one I recognize. Then I read terms like "entry level" and I just get disillusioned with the whole thing. It's hard not to just throw the laptop across the room.

Yeah you're better off going somewhere else. Throwing the laptop across the room because a couple of dudes like a kind of music you don't? :rolleyes:
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:26 am 

What exactly is going on in that cover art? Looks cool either way.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:05 am 

MikeyC wrote:
What exactly is going on in that cover art? Looks cool either way.

The arctopus is chilling out.

Possibly in the biggest bathtub on mars. Hard to tell.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:00 am 

Horrorsentience is SUCH a great song. Really enjoyed the last 3 minutes or so of it.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:17 am 

See, with BTA I don't get the argument that it's wank for the sake of wank. They write the songs out on paper before ever trying to play them. Yeah, they write them to be hard to play, but that's like writing a song to be thrashy. It's not technical for the sake of being technical, it's technical because that's the style of music they play. The atonal scales and looser structures are not common things in metal, but when you look at composers like Schoenberg and Ferneyhough, you'll find quite a lot of that.

Yeah it's ridiculously complex and inaccessible, but Brain Drill it ain't. This is mad science, planned out to the letter. Brain Drill is just spazzing out on guitars with no forethought.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:36 pm 

Full album right here for your listening pleasure.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... rct_1.html

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:31 pm 

This is pretty enlightening-
Weasel Walter on the topic of behold the arctopus and "technicality":
http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2012/ ... Jgh44a0J8E

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:18 pm 

Very interesting article.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm 

Maybe I need to give it a few more listen's but I thought it was really boring, way to straight forward, regular plain tech death sounding.
I mean I'll give it a spin or two as the years go by regardless, it's not a "bad" album just nowhere up to par with Skullgrid.
I really hope the new Braindrill won't be this disappointing.

Ceald Hraew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:44 pm 

I really enjoyed their first album, but I can see why people hate them. It’s almost impossible to headbang to that stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2