Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HackTheRipper666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:20 pm 

I am aiming at starting a one-man DSBM band. I can do vocals and play the violin, but I have zero money and can't afford any sort of guitars, basses, or drums. I do own a violin though. How exactly would I go about making music using my computer until I collect the necessary funds to buy some instruments?
I intend in recording in the style of Leviathan/Xasthur

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:28 pm 

Use some sort of free scoring or tab software and learn how to work out arrangements and write music. Try PowerTab, TabIt, or MuseScore. Look at tabs/transcriptions of music to figure out how certain things are played. Save up some money and find a cheap guitar to start playing.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:42 pm 

Write melodies on your violin.

There's really no "guitar" synth that's worth a damn compared to the real thing. Just write songs while you save up money.

Craigslist, pawn shops, freecycle are great ways to get cheap instruments.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:59 pm 

If you don't already have recording software, use Reaper. It's shareware, but you can use it as long as you like before you pay for it. It's very high quality, also. I would search eBay for guitars also. You can get free drum software from many places, but for guitars and bass you really need an analog instrument. I've seen decent guitars go for 40-50 bucks on eBay before, including shipping. From there, you can get free guitar amp software in VST format, which is easy to use. I'm a big fan of this guy: http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com And these guys have a halfway decent free drum program: http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/

And also just try writing stuff on your violin. Could be badass.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 pm 

+1 on using Reaper. I just recorded a 5-song EP basically for free since I already have all the stuff needed.

Here's a cheap as hell way to make awesome recordings: Get a super cheap Line 6 recording interface for your computer like the Line 6 GX off of ebay or Craigslist for like $40. Using that will make your guitars sounds great, and you can use it for bass and vocals, too. It comes with a program that you can use for effects.

Next, look into Agile guitars. http://www.rondomusic.com They're some of the best guitars out there for the money. You can buy a Les Paul style guitar for $200-300 that's equal to a lot of $500-600 guitars in terms of construction and hardware. The non-active pickup, bolt on neck guitars are usually the cheapest options. They also sell bass guitars...

Look into good digital drum programming programs like EZDrummer or Superior Drummer. There's couple ways to get either of those programs.... Also buy yourself some decent speakers and/or headphones, and a condenser mic. The MXL DRK is a battery-powered mic kit that I bought for like $30 on eBay and it actually works pretty nicely--just remember to get a foam cover or pop filter for it because they're very sensitive to plosives.

If done right, you can get all of this for about $300-400 and you'll be set to record forever. Either that, or pay that much or more at a studio to record 3 songs.

*edit* I'd also like to add that the Line 6 route is basically the best way you can possibly record guitars without spending a lot of money. Sure, you can get just as good or maybe even better tone using a real amp/mic setup, but that's also louder and more difficult to set up correctly. The interface takes all the hassle and bull crap out of the equation.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:49 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
If you don't already have recording software, use Reaper. It's shareware, but you can use it as long as you like before you pay for it.

NO, NO IT IS NOT.

Sorry, but this comes up all the time here and it bugs the shit out of me. The makers of Reaper have chosen not to disable trial versions that have expired, which is not the same thing. I think they do it mainly because it helps spreads the word in a crowded marketplace in which they are a late entry. But it is NOT free. If you want to legally use Reaper you must pay for it. Quality recording software does not fall from the sky and any musician who gives a fuck and is serious about their craft will pay for their gear.

Really guys, would a steal a guitar? No? Well then, pay for your digital instruments!!!

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:45 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:
If you don't already have recording software, use Reaper. It's shareware, but you can use it as long as you like before you pay for it.

NO, NO IT IS NOT.

Sorry, but this comes up all the time here and it bugs the shit out of me. The makers of Reaper have chosen not to disable trial versions that have expired, which is not the same thing. I think they do it mainly because it helps spreads the word in a crowded marketplace in which they are a late entry. But it is NOT free. If you want to legally use Reaper you must pay for it. Quality recording software does not fall from the sky and any musician who gives a fuck and is serious about their craft will pay for their gear.

Really guys, would a steal a guitar? No? Well then, pay for your digital instruments!!!

You know...I agree with that statement, but at the same time, if it were such an intense problem to the creators of Reaper, you'd think they'd do something about it by now. I could be mistaken, but I don't think they (Cockos) are in it to make tons of money off of Reaper.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm 

I don’t think they see it as a problem so much as it helps them establish a foothold with newer users when trying to compete with other more established DAWs. Propellorhead’s Reason/Record on the other hand is frigging locked down. You need a dongle key and a constant internet connection to run it, but even still I’m sure someone out there has figured out how to crack it.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:10 pm 

Hi Ripper. I understand your situation mate, so I'll put this into a list form just for simplicity's sake. Here is what I would do in your situation:

1. Acquire cash - part time job - wash cars, fruit store, fast food, newspaper run, if you're artistic sell your art, or fuck, just collect beer bottles from your local housing commission and have them in for nickles and dimes
2. Download tab editing software - I know there is a free alternative to guitar pro out there, you'll have to search for it
3. Download free tabs from ultimate guitar and look at interpretations of bands that you like to get a feel for different riffs
4. Buy a cheap guitar - 150-300$ and get a 20 watt amp - should be marshall
5. find a drummer/free drums or drum software that you can program
6. find a bass player/get a free bass or increase the low end of your guitar recordings to substitute an actual bass guitar
7. buy an old/cheap headset or use your phone, assuming you have one to record riffs/ideas
8. Download reaper and record your instruments into that - use your phone / headset for riffs and vocals, you can use vst software for drums in this one too
9. Look up basic mixing tips online, there is info on the forum about mixing music
10. Release your demos with a fair amount of tracks 8-13 so that people get their money's worth if they pay for your music, and release your stuff on some blank cdrs or tapes, in a limited amount of copies, preferably under 60 (I'm not trolling the board, I just wouldn't print a lot of copies initially for a first demo)
11. Promote your stuff to friends, contacts in the metal community, forums, email labels, just do your best to get your stuff out there. Facebook, youtube, these are all there for a reason and they're free, so take advantage of them.

Let me know if you need any help or advice, I'll do whatever I can to assist you. But in the meantime, save money for gear and practice writing riffs and drum beats in a tab editing software. Hopefully this will help you out mate. You can disregard my advice if you want to, but heck, it's what I would do.

Good luck.

Edit: Thought I should mention, I say 8-13 songs because it's good to get into a good worth ethic. If you're prolific then your music is not necessary good, but you'll be working a lot which is not only good for you as a human being, but it means you'll have a lot of material to choose from and potentially release later on in different releases, if it is up to your standard, and if not, either throw it in the freezer or bin it.

The point is, people that work hard are recognized and rewarded, so just do your best. How could you go wrong.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:30 am 

Well said, Liberxul, but you shouldn't be looking for a 20w Marshall amp - their combo amps are not what they are known for and you'll get a much better sound out of a Peavey Bandit/Special or a Roland Cube. Do not get a Line 6 amp.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Well said, Liberxul, but you shouldn't be looking for a 20w Marshall amp - their combo amps are not what they are known for and you'll get a much better sound out of a Peavey Bandit/Special or a Roland Cube. Do not get a Line 6 amp.

Thanks Zo. I find that Marshall's and only Marshall's give me the sound that I want, but that's just me, I'm sure Peavey or Roland could definitely provide Ripper with a good sound for what he wants, but I'll leave that one up to him. And I definitely agree regarding the Line 6 point that Zo made. Unless you need a head and can pick one of theirs up for real cheap.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:42 am 

Some additions to what Liber posted:

2. Musescore http://musescore.org/
3. http://991tabs.com/ searches on ultimateguitar and a few more sites at the samew time
4. I would say instead of a crappy amp, save up some more and buy a decent audio card. If your computer can handle it and you don't plan on playing live, you can synthesize all the effects on your guitar and it will sound way better than recording from a small amp; not to mention you get a much wider range of possibilities in the sounds you can get out of it (there's a ton of free VSTs out there, just search in this forum or google)
8. You could use Reaper, or if you want to go really *free*, you can use Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
10. Release demos with quality of songs, not quantity. Look at Gorgoroth, all their classic albums barely clock at half an hour in average.

If you want to go completely free on the software side of thing, there's a couple of Linux distros focused on audio editing and recording which you can find on the net; the two I remember right now are Musix and Ubuntu Studio, but I'm quite sure there's a few more.

Also, try to get a decent microphone; it might not seem very important on vocals if you're going for a raw sound, but if you intend to record the violin, it will show.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:13 am 

garthmargengi wrote:
4. I would say instead of a crappy amp, save up some more and buy a decent audio card.

Depending on the sound he's going for, really. I find that for some specific types of Bm that emulated guitars don't deliver, but it's up to you to experiment with your sound Ripper.

garthmargengi wrote:
10. Release demos with quality of songs, not quantity. Look at Gorgoroth, all their classic albums barely clock at half an hour in average.

Some say that quantity is a quality in its own right, but I think I said, don't release anything if it isn't up to your personal standard, which only you can judge ripper. But garth makes a decent point here, don't release garbage, hehe. (if I didn't say that, there it is)

garthmargengi wrote:
Also, try to get a decent microphone; it might not seem very important on vocals if you're going for a raw sound, but if you intend to record the violin, it will show.

I've never recorded with a violin, but I imagine garth would be spot on with this. Again, experiment and let me know how it goes Ripper.

And garth I'm not saying you're wrong or anything mate, just offering my 2c on Ripper's situation. All of your points are certainly valid in my view. Ripper has to experiment with what he can, though. It's great to see people receiving help for their music.

HackTheRipper666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:54 pm 

Thanks a lot for the tips.
I'm currently looking at a 100$ guitar on ebay and i'm thinking of synthesizing the bass, along with the drums [Tips, anyone?]
I also downloaded Ubuntu Studio and will probably work off of that.
Right now, i'm thinking of recording my demo with about 3 tracks, 15-20 minutes each. I've also written most of the lyrics
Also, how would I go around distorting the vocals?

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:46 am 

HackTheRipper666 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the tips.
I'm currently looking at a 100$ guitar on ebay and i'm thinking of synthesizing the bass, along with the drums [Tips, anyone?]
Right now, i'm thinking of recording my demo with about 3 tracks, 15-20 minutes each. I've also written most of the lyrics

HackTheRipper666 wrote:
I'm currently looking at a 100$ guitar on ebay

What is the guitar, and who is the seller? could you link us?

HackTheRipper666 wrote:
i'm thinking of synthesizing the bass, along with the drums [Tips, anyone?]

I'm not sure about the bass, but if you can get a hold of EZdrummer, BFD2 or addictive drums, those would be the best. They sound natural.

HackTheRipper666 wrote:

I've never used this program, let me know how it goes for you.

HackTheRipper666 wrote:

HackTheRipper666 wrote:

I'm not sure.

Great, you're off to a good start. Now you just need to write some of those riffs. Edit: you can mess around with writing in the program that I sent you earlier. Once you get a guitar you'll probably need to start jamming to see which method you prefer, but for now this will do.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 am 

If you got the Line 6 interface and PodFarm (comes with it) you can make distorted vocals. There's also an octave effect--maybe you could use that to make a "fake" bass sound.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:30 am 

Potentially, he could just boost the low end on a 5 band eq in reaper, and thus he has bass. Not a bass guitar, but bass in his recording.

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:33 am 

you should be able to find a shitty guitar cheap as hell on ebay or craigslist. i find 20 dollar guitars all the time. they might suck, but its something to start with, pawn shops are great too, i find very decent guitars for under 100 at a place near me all the time. start with that, find a cheap 10 watt practice amp, and get a cheap casio keyboard and use the drumpads on that. it sounds ghetto, and it's a bit more effort. but it'll work to start out with. use reaper to record with a cheap microphone, and you can get by with under 150 bucks spent if you look around. and then save up while you tinker around with that for better shit

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 am 

This thread is brilliant! I have wanted for years to do a one man band as I always have so many ideas. The problem I find is I am not very talented musically so that causes me huge problems. I can usually write one riff with about 4 notes in it and that's it, I never know where to go. That's my worst mistake.

Hope it all goes well Ripper sounds like you're off to a good start.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 am 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_stpos=85051&_fcid=1&gbr=1&_localstpos=85051&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_clu=2&_nkw=Agile%20guitar&_sop=15

These are some of the cheapest, but best quality guitars you can buy for that little amount of money.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 pm 

I would also recommend you to look for a guitar player who can help you to write some stuff and understand the songwriting/record process, at least for the first year - cause you will spend months learning to properly play guitar.

HackTheRipper666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:40 pm 

OK. Update Time.
These are the instruments I have in mind. It might take a while to get the $, but it will be worth it.
SX EG2 BO BK Electric Guitar - http://www.rondomusic.com/EG2BOBK.HTML
Douglas WVEB Short Scale Violin Bass Black - http://www.rondomusic.com/wvebblk.html
I'm also going to find a way to get my hands on Superior Drummer by Toonware - http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?i ... Qgod6kUAtg. If I can't, I will use Hydrogen
For now, I think I will use a computer amp.
And, I think I''ll use reaper or Garage Band to mix and record

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:53 pm 

Congrats Ripper, let us all know how it goes. Can't wait to listen to your tunes, and just shoot me a pm if you need any more help or advice.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:41 pm 

FearTheNome wrote:
Craigslist, pawn shops
My first 2 guitars, first 2 basses, and my 6 string bass all came from pawn shops. My guitar half stack, one of my primary guitars, my primary bass, and my entire drumset, cymbals, pedals, and hardware came from Craigslist. This guy speaks the truth.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:30 pm 

HackTheRipper666 wrote:
OK. Update Time.
These are the instruments I have in mind. It might take a while to get the $, but it will be worth it.
SX EG2 BO BK Electric Guitar - http://www.rondomusic.com/EG2BOBK.HTML
Douglas WVEB Short Scale Violin Bass Black - http://www.rondomusic.com/wvebblk.html
I'm also going to find a way to get my hands on Superior Drummer by Toonware - http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?i ... Qgod6kUAtg. If I can't, I will use Hydrogen
For now, I think I will use a computer amp.
And, I think I''ll use reaper or Garage Band to mix and record

Good luck, man... The guitars from Rondomusic won't disappoint!

HackTheRipper666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 pm 

Well, everybody, thanks for all the tips.
This certainly makes my project a bit easier with all this information.
As soon as I am done my demo [maybe not for a while], I'll link it on this site.
Thanks!

cravings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:50 pm 

I skiped what everyone said, but just write music man!!!!!!!!! you dont need to notate it, I would suggest eventually transcribing the song on violin onto the guitar and could just basically turn the long notes on violin into tremolo picks it would be really badass if you could put it to a click track, I would also suggest a drum machine

Reply to topic