Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:44 pm 

I personally think Lemmy is one of the coolest guys to ever live, and one of his key characteristics is his consistency in his musical style. It seems like every Motorhead album is the same. I haven't listened to them all, but I was wondering, does anyone think that there's an album that they've made that sticks out as just shitty and unlike the rest? I'm just curious because I find them to be one of the most consistent bands to ever exist.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:51 pm 

Yeah, some of those '90s albums are pretty mediocre (not including 1916). As to which is the shittiest, I'm not sure about that.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Tormentor6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:10 pm 

Yeah, Lemmy has been consistently good since 1975. He never followed any shitty trends and always just did the ‘Motorhead thing’.

The weakest Motorhead album IMO was March Or Die, but it’s still okay! The second weakest is Another Perfect Day.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 pm 

I've been listening chronologically for about a year, each time I have the chance to buy a few albums - from the self-titled through to 1916 so far, and I've found them all to be pretty good. Can't vouch for the later stuff, but I've not found anything short of solid so far.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:40 pm 

A legitimately bad album? No. That's my genuine opinion, not something I'm saying because I'm intimidated by the band's status or whatever.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:15 pm 

Pretty much everything since Orgasmatron except for 1916 and Inferno

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:47 pm 

Yes, it's called Snakebite Love. It does feature a really fucking awesome song called 'Love For Sale', though.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:34 am 

Yes, all of them.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:34 am 

^Why?

Tormentor6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 am 

That’s okay - not everybody can be true.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:50 am 

Smalley wrote:
Yes, all of them.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:33 am 

I guess not, but they do get boring after a while. They're a consistent band but every album is virtually the same.

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:54 am 

Snake Bite Love is the only one that sounds constipated and this shouldn't be happening with this band.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:04 am 

Tormentor6 wrote:
The second weakest is Another Perfect Day

Good album for me, fast and hard hitting the Lemmy way. He's a genius for writing lyrics

"Be a switch to say the least,
my beauty gonna meet your beast

Move over I'm comin through.."

and one of my favourites,

"You know you're going to hell
but you wear it well"

Lemmy prepared me for life in the big wide world, more than school did :)

Last edited by mindshadow on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 am 

By_Inheritance wrote:
I guess not, but they do get boring after a while. They're a consistent band but every album is virtually the same.

I never understood this, there aren't any two Motorhead albums that "sound the same" to me. They're all about subtle variation (which tends to go over peoples' heads when they're playing on eleven).

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:14 am 

March or Die, some stuff from 90s except maybe Bastards. But to their credit Motorhead do not have a bad live album.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:46 am 

Rock 'N' Roll is probably the weakest album done by these guys. Phil Taylor especially is weak on this record, check out the intro to The Wolf. Lemmy did well to sack him soon after this record.

I don't quite know why Another Perfect Day is being cited as a weak album here. Its a good record, it just happens to be the first record without Fast Eddie. Its a little more melodic than the the classic era, but the guitar on this record is the most prominent and strongest that Motorhead had done up until that time.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Thrasher4life
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:01 am 

To repeat what most peope have said, no but some are stronger than others. Which you prefer is down to personal preferance but if your into what your hearing its doubtful you'll dislike any of the other eras. Very consistant band.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:08 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I never understood this, there aren't any two Motorhead albums that "sound the same" to me. They're all about subtle variation (which tends to go over peoples' heads when they're playing on eleven).

If by "subtle variation" you mean "different songs", yeah. Motorhead is the samey-est (samiest?) band this side of AC/DC. To their credit, that's what they're famous for - a simple style of rock music, done well - and it means they more or less have no bad albums, because they haven't messed with a winning formula in 30 years.

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:21 am 

Quote:
The weakest Motorhead album IMO was March Or Die, but it’s still okay! The second weakest is Another Perfect Day.

I agree with March Or Die, but certainly not with Another Perfect Day. I think it's one of their best if anything, but that's just me.

But to answer this question, I don't think anything Motorhead put out was bad. I'd also put Snake Bite Love as one of their weaker efforts, but I still like it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:09 am 

Another Perfect Day is fantastic! Check out all the Motorhead albums, man. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Toberium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 am 

I don't think they have any bad albums, but that's not much of an accomplishment when you don't experiment/explore.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:59 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
By_Inheritance wrote:

I basically fistfight people who use the argument that every album/song sounds the same. If you seriously just listen to the music instead of hearing Ace of Spades and Iron Fist and decided that's enough for you, it's pretty obvious. I mean, they're not experimenting to the point of different genres within the albums, nobody is claiming that, and they do have a specific style they work with usually, but they're not a one trick pony.

Anyway, I'm not much a fan of Snakebite Love or Sacrifice, and I haven't heard the albums in full, but I'm pretty lukewarm on We are Motorhead and Hammered. But everything else from the beginning to the mid 90s, and then from Inferno onwards has been great. Bastards is a totally overlooked gem.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:08 pm 

Could you give some examples of Motorhead songs that don't sound like speed metal/rock and roll? I'm just curious because I'm not familiar with all their music, I just assumed they all sounded the same because that's what I've heard.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:12 pm 

The title track on 1916 is probably the ultimate non-heavy metal Motorhead song, in my opinion. The emotion it captures is amazing, and it's not in the least like the average song this band makes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuRxjjcPgOo
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 pm 

Wow, someone actually said Another Perfect Day (sometimes considered one of their strongest) and someone else said Snake Bite Love (freaking DOGS OF WAR, man!).

I've never heard a Motorhead album I could call flat out 'bad'.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 pm 

On a similar note, a lot of people say the same thing about ZZ Top. They have about 5 or 6 well known radio songs that all sound the same, but if you actually take the time to listen to their full discography (like I have), you'd be surprised at how many different sounding songs they have. There's a lot of progressive stuff they've done that's very different to their usual songs.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 am 

another perfect day' is not a typical motorhead album, but it's still acceptable. after that, I kinda got bored with them...
I stopped actively listening to them, but continued attending their shows, which are always really good (seen them 8 times).

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:06 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I mean, they're not experimenting to the point of different genres within the albums, nobody is claiming that, and they do have a specific style they work with usually, but they're not a one trick pony.

Well, actually, they do. Take 1916 for example, you've got the title track which is a ballad, featuring no guitars and a string section, then you've got a couple of rock 'n' roll numbers ('Going to Brazil' and 'Angel City'), a punk song ('R.A.M.O.N.E.S') and a bunch of more typically metallic numbers, with a heavy, brooding ballad thrown in there. That's some damn good going for variation if you ask me! :P

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm 

Anyone who says all Motorhead sounds the same hasn't taken the time to listen to all of Motorhead's output or just doesn't enjoy what they do. If they enjoyed Motorhead enough to actually listen to them then they would see that there is a fair amount of variation in their sound and approach to individual songs... definitely enough to not claim "it all sounds the same." Sure they're not varied in the way the Priest or Maiden are across their respective careers... but would you really want them to be? I wouldn't.

As far as bad albums? There are none. Every albums has at least a couple songs worthy of any set list they put together and to comment on a couple that get dogged on: I quite like We Are Motorhead (See Me Burning is a ripper and One More Fucking Time is a great ballad) and Rock N Roll might be my favorite Motorhead album and I wear the backpatch with the cover art proudly... Eat the Rich is one of, if not my favorite Motorhead song and Just 'Cos You Got the Power might be the best ballad they ever wrote.

They are probably the most consistent metal band of all time in terms of quality.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 pm 

No.... none of motorhead's albums are bad... compared to the rest of the fuckin rubbish out there anyway they're all masterpieces...

There are some weaker than the others... "we are motorhead" is actually my least favourite... it does have 2 of my all time fave motor songs tho (the title track and One More Fucking Time) but the rest of the album doesn't seem too inspired at all... March Or Die & Snake Bite Love are also albums I don't listen to as much as the others but still good albums regardless...

Reply to topic