Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pyroclastic33
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:57 am 

He have produced some of the best death metal albums in the 90s. Now he has disappeared. What happened to him?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 am 

Wiki article

Apparently he works in computer programming now.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 pm 

^

Wasn't a big fan of his production, most of what he did sounded like Beneath the Remains (which is an awesome album btw!). Unquestionable Presence was probably the best one he did.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:27 pm 

I think he got overused. It seemed like, for a while, that almost every death metal band was using him and so they all had the same production. I recall reading something with him where he discussed this and that after a while there was some backlash against him, like bands starting to point fingers at his production as the cause of their failures or whatever, and the whole thing burned him out.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:15 pm 

Scott Burns wrote:
(producer, Morrisound Studio's; Tampa,Florida)

Along with the crisis comes the scapegoat and as the producer with farout the most death metal credits behind his name the by the way, very sympathetic Scott Burns seems to be the victim. All of his products are being welcomed by reporters the last few years with a complaining:"Not a Scott Burns album again!" Steadily they are increasing. "Don't take it personal but most journalists can lick my ass!" he says angrily. "For some time Colin Richardson (Earache-RH) was in, and now he's been let down again. I just do my job, I haven't asked for it to be praised or crucified. It's not only the journalists but also the labels, it's all about trends. Monte and I are still good friends but he's one of the guys that jumps at a trend. As for certain things it's better our ways split because we differ to much in our opinions. I really don't understand them in New York. It's like they don't realize that I'm a human being with feelings. My attitude is: I just stay here in Tampa, I talk to nobody and I'm happy. It was nice when everybody loved me and sometimes it's disturbing to see how they put me down now. It often gets more attention than the other bands I produce. I have offered once to withdraw my name off the inlays, but it stays my job. If I were Rich Rubin at the moment everybody would respect me. People are so trendy in their opinions."

Still Scott also sees no future in death-metal. "I think it's over, finished, done. There are no good new bands, the stealing is shameless, four or five bands will survive the rest will disappear."

There is no lack of work at Morrisound. "Warrant recorded here, Savatage also and a week ago Bon Jovi called to mix some stuff for a live EP. We even didn't have time for them because Morbid Angel and Death were already here. No, the studio will survive and I have some projects on the stocks that will show another side of me. I hope I didn't sound too negative because that's not the way I am."

http://www.emptywords.org/Watt4-93ismetalstillalive.htm

He also went to great lengths about his feelings regarding death metal and how it burned him out in the book Choosing Death - The Improbable history of Death Metal and Grind Core

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:00 pm 

There seemed to be a lot of backlash towards him from the early Black Metal scene in particular; he was associated (fairly or not) with the whole stagnation of Death Metal scene. The big gripe being that he produced too many similar sounding records from cookie cutter bands, or rather that he made these bands "cookie cutter" with his productions. I'm not saying this is fair or even valid, I just remember that being the main beef with him from the ever-fickle underground scene. There was one black metal band and I honestly can't remember whether it was Mayhem or Darkthrone or someone else, who even had a picture of Scott Burns with a line drawn through his picture on the album sleeve, with the caption "No Trend." (Actually I think it WAS Mayhem, now that I think about it.)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
There was one black metal band and I honestly can't remember whether it was Mayhem or Darkthrone or someone else, who even had a picture of Scott Burns with a line drawn through his picture on the album sleeve, with the caption "No Trend." (Actually I think it WAS Mayhem, now that I think about it.)

Mayhem. It's one version of the Anti-Mosh logo that appeared on Deathlike Silence releases like Deathcrush for example.
Spoiler: show
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 pm 

Thanks for the info, I had never really bothered looking it up, but I was curious as well. It's a shame he was burned out like that, he did produce a lot of fantastic albums, and he made a really solid job of it.

And whatever happened to Randy Burns, while we're at it?

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:39 pm 

Since we're on the subject, whatever happened to Montgomery Burns?

Scott Burns sounded quite whiny in that excerpt.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:24 am 

ogmetal wrote:
Since we're on the subject, whatever happened to Montgomery Burns?

:lol: eeeexcellent.

I didn't know all that about Scott Burns. That's too bad. In the Cannibal Corpse documentary I watched, it seemed like he just stopped doing it because the money was barely enough to live on. Oh well.

VileSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:02 pm 

He did some good work on a lot of those classic death metal albums but damn sometimes I can't get past the fart sounding kick drums. I'm looking at you Individual Thought Patterns.

Reply to topic