Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 pm 

That Rev Biz list actually did a good job of getting me interested in the band. Had heard them before and wrote them off, but they're sounding better this time around.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:08 pm 

Time for some Deceased-whoring.

1. The Kept
2. Night of the Deceased
3. The Premonition
4. The Funeral Parlour's Secret
5. The Traumatic
6. In the Laboratory of Joyous Gloom
7. Mysterious Research
8. The Doll With the Hideous Spirit
9. Cloned (Day of the Robot)
10. The Silent Creature
11. A Very Familiar Stranger
12. Craving Illness

Any observant Deceased fan will notice that I left out anything from their first two albums. While I can attest to their quality, I don't think most of the material found on those can stand up to the "Best Of" title, so we're starting with their third album, Fearless Undead Machines, and moving on (although the songs are shuffled).
So basically here is (in my opinion) my strongest case presenting the glory that is Deceased. Twelve songs of ripping thrash, obscenely catchy hooks, and ultimately a barrage of extremely refined musicianship. It's death metal, yet never has a death metal band made me do a double-take with their melodies (i.e.: The Funeral Parlour's Secret). Not once have I ever thought "Yeah, it's melodic, but damn that's weak". It delivers, it's intense and it's loaded with a huge display of ferocity from every angle. I really can't find a better act that satisfies my craving for death metal with style and attitude.

And on a side note, these are some great lists!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:42 pm 

I'm gonna do two bands that nobody will be surprised at from me...

SLOUGH FEG
1. Sky Chariots
2. High Passage Low Passage
3. The Red Branch
4. Psionic Illuminations
5. Highlander
6. Brave Connor Mac
7. The Final Gambit
8. Hiberno-Latin Invasion
9. I Will Kill You/You Will Die
10. Tiger! Tiger!
11. Insomnia
12. Simian Manifesto
13. Ape Outro
14. The 95 Thesis
15. Second Coming

It's so hard not to just put full albums on a list like this. I mean fuckin' Slough Feg - one of the most inimitable bands of the last 20 years. Truly one of the most out there, strange, bizarre and wonderful bands around. I tried to fit in their best known songs and a few that I personally just thought merited inclusion. Got pretty hard with some, though, as I could have easily filled it up with tons of songs from any album, but then it would have just been more uneven than it is already. I tried to make it half and half - half their epic metal side and half the more hard rock sound they play now. A good balance I think.

EDGUY
1. Vain Glory Opera
2. Babylon
3. Land of the Miracle
4. Theater of Salvation
5. Tears of the Mandrake
6. Painting on the Wall
7. Key to My Fate
8. Mysteria
9. Under the Moon
10. Catch of the Century
11. The Asylum
12. Wake Up Dreaming Black
13. Dragonfly
14. Pandora's Box
15. Every Night Without You

Edguy is kind of tough because their sound has changed direction quite a bit and focused on very different aspects of their sound over the years, so the whole thing would sound a bit schizo to new listeners - but then again so would Slough Feg's. Here I tried to just do it chronologically, so the whole thing has a good 'through the years' feel to it. I really like their latter-day material better than anything else they did, so I tried to pick out the best songs from there. Starting with an anthem like VGO is a mandatory plus and ending with their best ballad ever is a good, high note to go out on. Plus having their most underrated song ever, "Under the Moon," was definitely a good idea.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:53 am 

Empyreal, are there certain albums that the bulk of your Slough Feg favorites come from? I recognize 95 Thesis from The Animal Spirits and a couple from Atavism, maybe? I'm just getting into the band. Ordered a few CDs which haven't arrived yet. But it's a large catalog, kind of expensive and daunting.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:42 am 

I took two from every album except the debut, from which I only took "Red Branch." I try to equally partition every album. My favorites are Down Among the Deadmen and The Animal Spirits, but Twilight of the Idols, Hardworlder, etc all have equally great moments.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:35 am 

damn this thread is fun! some very intersting selections that may help me getting into some of the bands mentioned.

Ministry :

-Theives
-Burning Inside
-Just One Fix
-Hero
-Jesus Built mY Hotrod
-Lay Lady Lay
-Rio Grande Blood
-The Fall
-Double Tap
-NWO
-TV II
-Senor Peligro
-Game Show

As you can see, Im partial to the metal era ministry albums (which is the majority of their discography). plus the song selection is mostly fan favs anyway so hardly any surprises there...

its like an hour plus of headbanging :)

Killing Joke :

They have a coupla best of /comp. type deals out, but here are my favs (from all eras). One of the GIANTS of dark rock music

1. Kings and Queens
2. Rubicon
3. Psyche
4. Europe
5. Jana
6. Black Moon
7. Prozac People
8. Democracy
9. Money is Not Our God
10. The Death & Resurrection Show

this one was quite hard...because except for "Outside the Gate" , ALL of their albums have at least 50 % amazing/classic songs

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:42 am 

I should do a Truppensturm best of. I don't think it will be over 73 minutes though :lol:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:26 am 

Thashier, your inclusion of All Nightmare Long made me smile and gave me a light tingling sensation in my groin region. It's one of my favourite songs by them, period. I reckon you'd wanna swap Bleeding for Outlaw and consider memory remains instead of attitude, just 'cos it's so fun live.. and maybe whiplash instead of seek but otherwise I very much approve of your list. Most bands wish they could write one song as good as any on that list :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:29 am 

i suppose a best of from cryptopsy would be a reissue of none so vile

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Oh yeah! My choice will not be surprising to some of you guys, but yeah, Reverend Bizarre is one of my favorite band!

I too love the Bizarre Reverend. I would have to choose "The Devil Rides Out" as my favorite fast paced song though. Could be because it is actually the first Rev song I ever had the pleasure of listening to though. Great picks there though!

Yeah, great song too. It was between this one and Cromwell! Also, the thread is cool, guys. Keep them coming.

Great Slough Feg comp, Empy. I would add Ape Uprising, but yeah it's 10 mins :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:44 am 

Ok here is my 10 for Cephalic Carnage! rocky mountain hydro grind! awesome metal from some huge ass stoners! hope you guys can deal with my writing style i bashed out my feelings for each song pretty quickly hope it all makes sense :)

1.- Touched by an Angel ( Awesome song insanely catchy riffs! wicked song to start off with! straight to bussiness, lyrics about being touched by a priest! ha ha)
2. Counting the Days ( Cool song about being on tour in the band! sick riffs brutal parts)
3.- Endless Cycle of Violence (a groove beast of a song! awesome and tech, wicked chorus! )
4.- Lucid Interval (insane song about a man with schizophrenia! insanely hard to play on guitar)
5.- Vaporized ( pretty grindy song! about smoking weed again! love the deep vocals in this and hectic feel)
6.- Black Metal Sabbath ( this song always makes me jump without a doubt! especially at night with headphones on! massive black metal feel in this one! heaps of screaming)
7.- Observer To The Obliteration of planet earth ( insane heavy grooves! insane grinds and an awesome jazz interlude in the middle! sick song
8.- Jihad ( awesome brutal death metal feel in this, until it starts grinding, love the bass drop so many weird riffs, and weird alien like vocals)
9.- Halls of Amenti (a real doom song this is ! has some groovy riffs up ahead but dosnt lose its doom atmosphere, has some offbeat riffs and some strange electronic sounds to add its trip)
10.- Anthro Emisis ( last but not least my favorite song off all, killer intro melody, awesome vocals all the way through brutal song! can sing this one the whole way through! love this songs progression as the story unfolds )

I truly do love Cephalic Carnage! i hope they keep smoking weed!
only someone on that amount of drugs can make there metal so twisted and awesome, a
lthough i feel there latest effort was a bit to polished but nonetheless it was awesome and they are truly skilled

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 am 

Guess i'll do my favourite band of all time.........Blind Guardian!
In chronological order, i'll do 2 songs an album max

1.Majesty For obvious reasons, the best song on Battatlions Of Fear, fast as hell with a soaring epic chorus and amazing solo's
2.Banish From Sanctuary
3.Valhalla Come on, obvious choice
4.Lost In The Twilight Hall
5.The Last Candle
6.Journey Through The Dark Maybe my favourite song of all time with the next song...
7.Somewhere Far Beyond 7:33 minutes of pure epic speed metal complete with amazing leads, blazing double bass, super solo's and a fucking bagpipe solo, not to mention Hansi's best vocal performance of all time.
8.Imaginations From The Other Side Finally a slower song! great riffs, vocals and atmosphere here
9.Another Holy War back to the speed here, Hansi strains his voice to the fucking max here, nearly on par with the songs from Somewhere Far Beyond(well it is actually)
10.Mirror Mirror Another obvious one, not as good as their early stuff but still great, very very very catchy song
11.Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill) Catchy as Hell...
12.Punishment Divine Only fast track from ANATO, again not as good as their early stuff but great again
13.And Then There Was Silence A 14 minute bombastic, overblown, cheesy as hell song, i love it
14.Wheel Of Time Another epic, mixes all pretty much all of BG into one song.

Well i think 14 songs is enough, i could have put more on, some from A Twist In The Myth maybe but i find that album to be just a 7.5/10 at best, the rest of BG's discography though is timeless and ive scrobbled over 7000 BG tracks on lastfm in the past 2 years or so.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:18 am 

Awesome list folkmon I am another huge b g fan and I loved your list every song on there made me smile
Although I could have had nightfall and nolder, as 15 16

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 am 

I decided to have another round at it and do one for my other favorite band, Manilla Road.

1) Metalstrom A cool intro and a raging rocker, seemed like the natural first song.
2) Necropolis The classic, catchy NWOBHM-ish number, very energetic and headbangable.
3) Children of the Night Very atmospheric, one of the strangest and coolest tracks from Mystification.
4) Spiral Castle The best track from one of the finest MR albums, this one is harsh and unforgiving, yet with a strange, arcane mystique about it. A masterpiece.
5) War in Heaven One of the most glorious, otherworldly MR tracks, this one always manages to put a smile on my face.
6) Voyager Dark and murky as hell, this one is always unsettling while at the same time magnificent.
7) Taken by Storm Powerful, immediate, and thrashy, this one is sure to keep you headbanging for the entirety of its duration.
8) The Books of Skelos Probably the quintessential MR song, this one is both glorious and evil, a multi-part epic and one of the band's best.
9) Mark of the Beast Easily my favorite song pre-Crystal Logic, this one is epic and strange without being very heavy, yet still evokes a variety of emotions...a great song to go to sleep to.
10) Epitaph to the King Probably my favorite MR song and a perfect outro, this one gets progressively more glorious and hopeful despite only a few vocals. Perfection, basically.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:41 am 

suleiman wrote:
damn this thread is fun! some very intersting selections that may help me getting into some of the bands mentioned.

Ministry :

-Theives
-Burning Inside
-Just One Fix
-Hero
-Jesus Built mY Hotrod
-Lay Lady Lay
-Rio Grande Blood
-The Fall
-Double Tap
-NWO
-TV II
-Senor Peligro
-Game Show

As you can see, Im partial to the metal era ministry albums (which is the majority of their discography). plus the song selection is mostly fan favs anyway so hardly any surprises there...

its like an hour plus of headbanging :)

Pretty good picks, but I wouldn't include anything off their newest album, since I think it's a load of utter shit. I'd trim some of Psalm 69 tracks, and put in End of Days (Part 2) from The Last Sucker as it's a grand closure of their career (pretending Relapse never existed). And maybe a couple of The Land... tracks like Deity and Stigmata.

Here's one for one of my favourite bands of late, Between the Buried and Me. I'm more or less done with exploring their discography so the following should be a pretty good chronological summation of what they've done.

1. More of Myself to Kill: With emo crooning, silly bree-bree breakdowns, and almost melodeath riffing, this is a good representation of their metalcore roots.
2. Naked by the Computer: This one is more straightforward and thrashy/metalcore-oriented.
3. Mordecai: A downright twisted breakdown, a mysterious (for lack of a better word) singing part, and a beautiful climax make this the best under-10 minute song they've ever made. Probably the first demonstration of guitarist Paul Waggoner's jazzy side.
4. Ad a Dglgmut: Another classic off of The Silent Circus with a triumphant melody leading into yet another sublime clean guitar part.
5. All Bodies: With a major lineup change comes a redefined, more sophisticated sound that gels together a lot better, though a bit of the relentless brutality they used to possess has been sacrificed.
6. Selkies: The Endless Obsession: Perhaps a tad overrated by some, but it's definitely one of the better songs they've come up with.
7. White Walls: One song is simply not enough to define the monumental Colors, but if I had to choose one it would be the 14 minute closer. There's a fair bit of recurring motifs in the album; one of them is in the final piano melody of this song.
8. Swim to the Moon: This is the longest song they've ever done, being a whopping 18 minute non-stop barrage of riffs. This probably contains the last 'metalcore breakdown' they will ever do, as they grow ever further from their roots.
9. Specular Reflection (couldn't find a better video but this should suffice): A point of no return of sorts, as they've gone full prog.
10. Extremophile Elite: I specifically chose this song because of the recurring motif from Specular Reflection. It ties in nicely.

This is all adds up to just under 93 minutes. I tried, I really did! :(
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54 am 

I've decided to put together a "best of" for one of my all time favorite bands, and one who I think most metalheads are still sadly unaware of. Slauter Xstroyes!!! I'm hoping everyone will at least give a song or two a listen but I know that isn't realistic. So, if you're into quirky heavy metal that's bursting at the seams with riffs and ideas, you're going to want to give this a sample. I really don't have a band I could compare them to, but I think it's pretty obvious that Merycful Fate and Black Sabbath are two of their biggest influences. John Stewart has extremely unique vocals, making very odd choices in his phrasing and delivery. Paul Kratky is one of my favorite riff-writers of all time. Brent Sullivan is one of the most overwhelmingly active bass players, often stealing the show away from everyone. Pay very close attention to the bass work.

1. Winter Kill -- This is the lead-off track from their debut album, and thus the first track most people hear from the band. It's not my favorite by any means but I do think it makes for a fitting introduction to the band and their quirks. And it has that "intro" feel. Interesting lyrics, I believe from the perspective of a starving wolf in the midst of winter.

2. Burning Rock -- Now that you've been introduced to the band with something a little more visible, let's jump into the "deep cuts" shall we? This is from a collection of demo-recordings at the end of their second album, Free the Beast. Which are personally my favorite songs to listen to from the band. I have a serious soft spot for the murky anti-production, and the way Stewarts voice just kind of floats over the whole thing. This song is a lot more straight forward than the previous one and I think it provides a good little break. Once again note the absolutely incredible bass work. This is just a pure fist to the face.

3. City of Sirtel -- Epic and fantastical. The gentle intro riff laying a base for Stewart's story telling makes for one of my favorite song openings of all time. Is that...is that an organ?! Yes it is ladies and gentleman, because Slauter Xstroyes are children of the 70s despite their heavy metal sainthood. The way Stewart delivers the line "This force they call...truly evil" with that effeminate sneer is so unique, I can't see any other vocalist making that oddball choice.

4. Blood in the Streets -- A track from the proper studio recordings for their second album, Free the Beast. Probably the cleanest sound they ever achieved production-wise, if that's you're sort of thing. One of their most deliciously swaggering tracks. If you don't feel invincible listening to this one there may be no hope for you.

5. Charlotte -- What is it with heavy metal bands and girls name Charlotte, am I right? On the other hand who doesn't love a cool backmasked intro? I can guarantee you that this one blows the Harlot out of the water in terms of aggression and riffs. Don't let the name throw you, this one is no ballad. Amazing riffs on top of amazing riffs. The chorus is also really irresistible.

6. Metal's No Sin -- I can't think of any more appropriate way to end a "best of" for Slauter Xstroyes. The metal anthem to end all metal anthems. Spine-chilling opening from Stewart, just wailing his guts out. The whole thing is lightning in a bottle. This one speaks for itself.

I kept this short and sweet because all their albums are, and some of their songs are fairly long. I hope someone gets a kick out of this or even gets into the band as a result of it, but if not I still had a fucking blast making it. Very unique band with an enigmatic sound. There's no one quite like 'em.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:05 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
I decided to have another round at it and do one for my other favorite band, Manilla Road.

1) Metalstrom A cool intro and a raging rocker, seemed like the natural first song.
2) Necropolis The classic, catchy NWOBHM-ish number, very energetic and headbangable.
3) Children of the Night Very atmospheric, one of the strangest and coolest tracks from Mystification.
4) Spiral Castle The best track from one of the finest MR albums, this one is harsh and unforgiving, yet with a strange, arcane mystique about it. A masterpiece.
5) War in Heaven One of the most glorious, otherworldly MR tracks, this one always manages to put a smile on my face.
6) Voyager Dark and murky as hell, this one is always unsettling while at the same time magnificent.
7) Taken by Storm Powerful, immediate, and thrashy, this one is sure to keep you headbanging for the entirety of its duration.
8) The Books of Skelos Probably the quintessential MR song, this one is both glorious and evil, a multi-part epic and one of the band's best.
9) Mark of the Beast Easily my favorite song pre-Crystal Logic, this one is epic and strange without being very heavy, yet still evokes a variety of emotions...a great song to go to sleep to.
10) Epitaph to the King Probably my favorite MR song and a perfect outro, this one gets progressively more glorious and hopeful despite only a few vocals. Perfection, basically.

Needs more Flaming Metal System

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 pm 

This is a really cool idea for getting into a specific band. It was tough to choose one but I've decided to go with God Dethroned, a band that I got into sometime in 2001 and I've been listening to them quite often especially the pre-Passiondale stuff. For those who aren't too familiar with the band, they are a death/thrash metal band with melodic elements. MA, however, describes them as 'Blackened Death Metal'. Decide for yourself.

I hope I do justice to the 'Best of' collection (Links have been embedded)

1. Serpent King
2. Hordes of Lucifer
3. The Grand Grimoire
4. The Art of Immolation
5. Soul Capture 1562
6. Boiling Blood
7. Soul Sweeper
8. Ravenous
9. Away from Emptiness
10. Macabre World
11. Under the Sign of the Iron Cross
12. Fail to Exist
13. Hating Life
14. No Survivors
15. Villa Vampiria

Total time: 1:06:30

My intention was to cover the iconic songs that made God Dethroned what they are/were. 'Serpent King' is a great start with the intro dialogue which defines what the band stands for. I've tried to incorporate songs from almost all their albums. 'Soul Capture 1562' might satisfy the people looking for a ballad-ish song. You can have a look at the lyrics while you're assimilating the song. The rest of the songs are rife with really good riffs. 'Away from Emptiness' is a mellow instrumental from the 'Toxic Touch' album. I quite like it. The collection ends with 'Villa Vampiria', possibly their most famous song. Quite crushing.

Hope you enjoy these songs. I had a blast making this post!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 pm 

Here's my best of compilation for Sabbat (JPN)

1. "The Melody of the Deathmask" - taken from The Dwelling

An hour long song. With how great it is, it's all the compilation needs really.

Alright, here's disc two:

1. "Bird of Ill Omen" - taken from Disembody
2. "Deathtemptation" - taken from Envenom
3. "Orochie" - taken from Karisma
4. "Demonic Serenade" - taken from Karmagmassacre
5. "Satan is Beautiful" - taken from Fetishism
6. "Northern Satanism" - taken from Sabbatrinity
7. "Kiss of Lilith" - taken from Satanasword
8. "Mion's Hill" - taken from the self titled debut EP
9. "Possessed the Room" - taken from the Seven Deadly Sins EP

That ought to cover everything that is essential Sabbat. One song per album with Evoke excluded due to my "meh" attitude toward that album. A hand to the debut EP is definitely necessary.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:39 pm 

halfformedfetus wrote:
Ok here is my 10 for Cephalic Carnage! rocky mountain hydro grind! awesome metal from some huge ass stoners! hope you guys can deal with my writing style i bashed out my feelings for each song pretty quickly hope it all makes sense :)

1.- Touched by an Angel ( Awesome song insanely catchy riffs! wicked song to start off with! straight to bussiness, lyrics about being touched by a priest! ha ha)
2. Counting the Days ( Cool song about being on tour in the band! sick riffs brutal parts)
3.- Endless Cycle of Violence (a groove beast of a song! awesome and tech, wicked chorus! )
4.- Lucid Interval (insane song about a man with schizophrenia! insanely hard to play on guitar)
5.- Vaporized ( pretty grindy song! about smoking weed again! love the deep vocals in this and hectic feel)
6.- Black Metal Sabbath ( this song always makes me jump without a doubt! especially at night with headphones on! massive black metal feel in this one! heaps of screaming)
7.- Observer To The Obliteration of planet earth ( insane heavy grooves! insane grinds and an awesome jazz interlude in the middle! sick song
8.- Jihad ( awesome brutal death metal feel in this, until it starts grinding, love the bass drop so many weird riffs, and weird alien like vocals)
9.- Halls of Amenti (a real doom song this is ! has some groovy riffs up ahead but dosnt lose its doom atmosphere, has some offbeat riffs and some strange electronic sounds to add its trip)
10.- Anthro Emisis ( last but not least my favorite song off all, killer intro melody, awesome vocals all the way through brutal song! can sing this one the whole way through! love this songs progression as the story unfolds )

I think "Halls of Amenti" is a bad choice to put on a best-of album. It's too long and slow and I think people would get bored of it. I agree with "Endless Cycle of Violence" because it's a great song.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:51 pm 

It's time for the "The Very Best of Pharaoh.". I love Bathory, which would have been my obvious choice, but I doubt I could pick only one CD worth of music, and other than that, the bands I'd have done have been picked already, or I've not listened to the whole discography...

Pharaoh aren't a band with a multitude of albums yet, but I think they have enough to make a fairly comprehensive best-of. I have a few axioms that I have in mind when it comes to thinking about what comes to a best of - As with any kind of album, a best-of should be compact and solid, but also dynamic, which I've tried to capture with this list. I've made it chronological so that the in-theory CD would have a sort of overview of the band's development.

01. Unum/After the Fire
02. Slaves
03. In the Violet Fire
04. By the Night Sky
05. Speak to Me
06. Buried at Sea
07. Ten Years
08. Year of the Blizzard
09. Burn with Me [It's a shame I can't find it on Youtube - wonderful song too.]

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 pm 

I know primordial has been 'done before' with a compilation, but here is my crack at it. They take celtic folk and mix it with pagan/black metal without it seeming gimmicky or tame. They really don't have a single 'bad' album their entire discography is fucking immaculate.

1. Empire Falls - Iconic, representative of their sound; stirring lyrics and sturdy, understated riffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvuXdhnieA - 8:04

2. The burning season - Bitter, grim and cynical with an introspective feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvuXdhnieA - 8:44

3. Dark Song - Solemn Pagan peotry set to primordial's folkier side:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F74sVVZxm0k 5:10

4. The heretic's age: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw6O4KwPY1E A look at a more blackened album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw6O4KwPY1E - 6:17

5. The Coffin Ships - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jid7G_0jxLM If I had to pick this would be their best song:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jid7G_0jxLM 9:59

6. No grave is deep enough - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC4u1TzzKKk - 7:18 - A more 'upbeat' opener or from the newest album.

7. Here I am king - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1NLCgWyUNQ - Their most blackened material - 4:32

8. Death of the gods - The closer of the most recent album, which showcases the band's impeccable talent for lyrics:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S357p9jdyGk
Proud, rustic and moving. 9:20

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:01 pm 

The best of Testament! Chronologically:

1) The New Order
2) Hypnosis/Disciples of the Watch
3) Sins of Omission
4) The Ballad
5) Face in the Sky
6) Malpractice
7) Seven Days of May
8) Dog Faced Gods
9) The Formation of Damnation
10) Rise Up

A lot of stuff from the middle of their discography is omitted. Not because it's not good music, but because they're better with Skolnick. Rise Up for example isn't the most exciting track in the world, but makes the list just because of the guitar solo. Also I tend to like their old school thrashier stuff better.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:15 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Needs more Flaming Metal System

Nah, that one's good, but not nearly good enough for a best of. There were a couple of others I wanted to include but didn't, though - "Mystification", "Dreams of Eschaton", "The Veils of Negative Existence" and "Abattoir de la Mort" all get honorable mentions.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:25 pm 

Awesome lists guys, and great job giving reasons why you chose the band and the songs. Shouvince, that is a badass God Dethroned list! One of my favorite bands, just so solid! Also, Ancient_Sorrow did an awesome job too. Also Evangelion2014 (I'm terrible with discriminate praise apparently :lol: ) Gonna play these lists through for sure.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:00 pm 

Taking cues from classical motifs, I like the idea of a compilation in 2 parts: in the first, the progression of the songs will take you from gentle to intense, and the other half would do the opposite. I love these progressions, they've been around for ages and are tried, tested and true. Very evocative. Picking the band I find most evocative, with songs that rise, fall and cascade dark emotion, here's what I put together...

Artist: Agalloch
Title: Echoes in a Darkened Wood
Approximate running time: 72 minutes

Track list/year/length:

Part I - Coniferous Crescendo
The Isle of Summer (2007) -- 4:00
Foliorum Viridium (1997) -- 5:46
Hallways of Enchanted Ebony (1999) -- 10:00
I Am the Wooden Doors (2002) -- 6:12
Limbs (2006) -- 9:52

Part II - Dryadic Diminuendo
Falling Snow (2006) -- 9:38
The Watcher's Monolith (2010) -- 11:46
Of Stone, Wind and Pillor (2001) -- 7:00
In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion (2002) -- 14:45
Haunting Birds (2001) -- 3:45

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:42 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Awesome lists guys, and great job giving reasons why you chose the band and the songs. Shouvince, that is a badass God Dethroned list! One of my favorite bands, just so solid! Also, Ancient_Sorrow did an awesome job too. Also Evangelion2014 (I'm terrible with discriminate praise apparently :lol: ) Gonna play these lists through for sure.

Thanks man. What wouldn't I give to see this band resurrected and have them play live...

Anyway, I've made it easier for you and everyone else to listen GodDethroned's tunes.
Clickity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Il3v8vt ... ure=g-list

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:44 pm 

This is such a fun idea I think I'm going to make another list, this time I'm gonna go with Crimson Moonlight though this is a bit of a fools errand because of their lack of releases but since they have also recently gotten back together hopefully this will draw in some new fans.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmAPgMogsU Mist of The Spiritual Dimension
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwdQDkJG-LE Path of Pain
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MSOrdPKzZs Thy Wilderness
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeG_UkcRYTA A Painting In The Dark
5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fQNdrCwOMY Imitations of Everlasting Constancy
6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q06CiDNUBQs My Grief, My Remembrance
7) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIMOPfyZWWU Illusion Was True Beauty
8) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enlx8mlgoD0 Contemplations Along The Way
9) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wd8PSY2QlY Reflections Upon the Distress and Agony of Faith
10) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpp7tdLOzUA The Advent of the Grim Hour
11) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuHP8OOkok Shiver of Fear

So there we have it, it's in chronological order again, I tried to put as much diversity as possible in here but with only 2 full lengths (3 if you count their compilation disc but I didn't use any songs off of that here) and an EP to work with there just isn't that much. Anyways after the first cd, the first 4 tracks are from it, Pilgrims vocals got way better and he started incorporating a wider variety which can really be heard on 5-9. All in all these guys definitely kick some serious ass and I am eagerly awaiting something new from them.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:50 pm 

Your right MikeyC in retrospect i wouldnt have put it where it is, but its done now :P

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 pm 

Fantastic idea for a thread, this is one of the best on here for a while! Can't wait to get stuck into a few of these lists...will have to ponder one of my own too!

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:23 am 

I can amagine this thread is gonna go for a while! haha once every one comes back for seconds :)

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:35 am 

shouvince wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Thanks man. What wouldn't I give to see this band resurrected and have them play live...

i've seen them [god dethroned] live once (nummirock a few years ago) and was kinda disappointed - the bassist was the only one making a show, everyone else was just standing around looking bored

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:10 am 

MikeyC wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:
(MikeyC's could be an eye opener for some of you)

Haha, why is that?

Due to your varied collection and voracious appetite for music :wink:

There already is a Primordial list, but I wish to do a more detailed one from their excellent (and stirring) discography, as I have watched them grow from the debut to what they are today. These Irish lads are probably for me, the only metal band active at the moment who have (perhaps unwittingly) filled the mighty gap that Quorthon left behind - and continue his metallic legacy. Their rousing tales of old, forgotten gods, heathen pride, revulsion at the Christian swine, the bitter tragedy of loss and the redemption that can be found at the end of some of these deep, dark tunnels can be extremely moving and profound. In addition to this they truly do have their own unique sound and identity, which again further highlights their ability to create memorable music. This role (I believe) they have is not literal, more a kindred spirit I feel, and one they wear proudly, thus the reason why I chose this remarkable group.

Would love to have it as a double LP in "Irish Cream" colour :-D

The Calling. From the Burning Season EP.
The Fires.... From Imrama.
Autumn's Ablaze. From A Journey's End.
The Soul Must Sleep. From Spirit The Earth Aflame.
Among The Lazarae. From The Burning Season EP.
Fallen To Ruin. Taken from Storm Before Calm.
The Cruel Sea. From Spirit The Earth Aflame.
The Song Of The Tomb. Taken from The Gathering Wilderness.
Gods To The Godless. From Spirit The Earth Aflame.
Gallows Hymn. From To The Nameless Dead.
The Mouth Of Judas. From Redemption At The Puritan's Hand.
Cities Carved In Stone. From The Gathering Wilderness.
The Hosting Of The Sidhe. From Storm Before Calm.

As you can see I have more than one track from a couple of albums, but I couldn't leave these out! To me they have most definitely improved a thousand fold from the debut, which in it's own right is still a damn fine record, but really hit their stride with the epic, and wonderful Spirit The Earth Aflame (Journey's End is also amazing), filled with inspiring pagan hymns. I have tried for a theme, and a distinct beginning, middle and a conclusion, trying to best encapsulate the mood, sound and will of Primordial as best I could, and chose (naturally) songs that speak to me, and filled me with awe upon hearing them. I have indeed though left many good songs alone, as they have plenty more, but I thought these chosen would offer a decent, at times introspective listen none the less.

My collection

Last edited by CrushedRevelation on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:53 am 

joppek wrote:
shouvince wrote:

i've seen them [god dethroned] live once (nummirock a few years ago) and was kinda disappointed - the bassist was the only one making a show, everyone else was just standing around looking bored

Oh yeah? Hopefully what they lack in stage presence, would be well made up in their myuusick. Anyway, über jealous that you got to see them live.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:01 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

There already is a Primordial list, but I wist to do a more detailed one from their excellent (and stirring) discography, as I have watched them grow from the debut to what they are today...

You, sir, are my favourite person based solely on that post. I probably couldn't do such a compilation, 'cos I love pretty much all of their songs so much, but I can give a nod of approval to yours. I'd maybe change Among the Lazarae to To The Ends of the Earth, from Dark Romanticisim, and Cities Carved in Stone to Death of the Gods for a majestic closure before The Hosting.
Anyway, my point is:
- You are awesome
- Primordial is awesome

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:08 am 

Cool list, Crushed! But where is Empire Falls!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:16 am 

I will not upload stuff myself, but give links when a song can be found on Youtube. Let's start with a metallic one first... my "best of" for Blut Aus Nord:

1. The Plain Of Ida (8:54)
2. The Territory Of The Witches / Guardians Of The Dark Lake (8:12)
3. Epitome II (6:51)
4. The Choir Of The Dead (6:40)
5. Odinist (5:02)
6. Epitome X (7:25)
7. The Alcove Of Angels (Vipassana) (8:43)
8. Procession Of The Dead Clowns (9:55)

Total Running Time: 61:42

With "The Plain Of Ida" you get a good idea of the use of synthies and ambient passages on their first album. "Memoria Vetusta" does not only quality-wise deserve an own song to be included in here, but it's more dynamic than the debut, has some amazing solos and bass lines, and the chosen song even introduces a short-lived feature of female vocals only used on this album if I'm not mistaken; plus, the closing minutes have this brilliant feeling of progression/departure.
It's a bit complicated then, because after the first two albums there has been a change in direction rather radically introduced on "The Mystical Beast Of Rebellion", so there needs to be a transition to the post-apocalyptic feeling of later works, which I think "Epitome II" serves well to achieve. "The Choir Of The Dead" is used as a summary for the disturbing side of BAN to be found on "Mystical Beast", "The Work Which Transforms God" and "MorT". "Odinist" is primarily included here, because I wouldn't want to exclude so many albums from an entry in the list, even though I'm not so fond of this particular work; but it also gives the listener some relaxation after the unsettling track before without giving up the dense dark sound that sucks you in. With "Epitome X" and "Alcove Of The Angels" we get on to the spherical, spiritual track this band is able to offer on the other hand as well. I never felt overwhelmed by MVII's centerpiece "...The Meditant" like others possibly were, so I'd rather include Alcove, also because of the beautiful "sighing" of the guitars at approximately 6:30 minutes.
"Procession Of The Dead Clowns" is a closer in the most accurate sense of the word: It's the hymn for the end of all. A haunting tune I'll never stop to love.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:19 am 

Thank you Mr Drugsalot! To The Ends Of The Earth most definitely crossed my mind, and in some way I do regret not including it. As for Empire Falls Tony, I feel that Gallows Hymn, especially on that album carries a far greater burden - a tale rich with an aching, tragic tone, but still retaining one's pride in the wake of adversity. Though the opener is amazing, I felt this song captures Primordial at their shining best, both in terms of song craft and lyrical power. This is also why I didn't include the brilliant As Rome Burns (plus it was already listed).

But thanks to you both :wink:

My collection

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm 

This is actually a really fun idea, so I'm going to make a list of Megadeth songs and try to narrow the list down as much as possible.

(This list is not necessarily in order)
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsaoU6MT1Ts Killing Is My Business And Business Is Good
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QKGvV2vVKk Angry Again
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYlUe-SDqA0 Holy Wars.... The Punishment Due
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umeZtszNShk Peace Sells
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umeZtszNShk Symphony Of Destruction
6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umeZtszNShk I'll Be There (Yeah.)
7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryMPoKJpVQ Set The World Afire
8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryMPoKJpVQ Good Mourning Black Friday
9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryMPoKJpVQ Sweating Bullets
10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0QFjZKT8A Never Dead

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:32 pm 

For my second post in this thread, I decided to go with another band I'm a unapologetic fanboy of, jesu. If you like shoegaze even just a little bit, I highly recommend this band. Now with this comp. I tried to not just put every song from the Silver EP, and the first 2 full-lengths but well, I kinda failed. Anyway, even though this succeeds the 80 minute rule, it's just too good to not share.

jesu YouTube playlist

1. Silver [off "Silver EP"] - In my opinion Silver is not only the greatest EP ever released, it might just be one of the best albums. So hypnotic, half-way through the song you realize 2 years have passed.
2. We All Faulter [off "jesu"] - This track does a good job of being droney enough to be blissed out, but not enough to become boring.
3. Stanlow [off "Conqueror"] - The best track off Conqueror. Great synth work and while Broadrick isn't known as the best singer, I think his voice is perfect for the music.
4. Star [off" Silver EP"] - Fucking STAR!! I can listen to this track on repeat forever. One of the poppiest tracks jesu has to offer and just, wow. Words do not describe. They should've sent a poet!
5. The Stars That Hang Above You [off "Jesu/Envy split"] - Wanted to mix it up a bit. A lot of people might be turned off by the programmed drums, but truly an underrated track.
6. Tired of Me [off "jesu"] - Broadrick's vocals are hypnotic.
7. Conqueror [off "Conqueror"] - The title track off the second full-length. Beautiful track.
8. Sun Down [off "Sun Down/Sun Rise EP"] - This track does a good job of combining the style of the Silver EP and the debut album. Hypnotic (oh no! there's that word again!)
9. Walk on Water [off "jesu"] - When this track is playing, I forget important things. Like what day it is, and to breathe.
10. Dead Eyes [off "Silver EP"] - Another track off that damn EP again.
11. Friends Are Evil [off "jesu"] - Starts off really fucking heavy and once the vocals come in you realize this band couldn't be better if it had tits.
12. End of the Road - One of my favorite jesu tracks hidden away on this little EP.
13. Farewell [off "jesu/Eluvium split"] - While not the best track, it's called farewell and this is the last track on my compilation. That shit writes itself.

I hope you enjoy.

EDIT: added actual playlist for convenience.

Last edited by Cinerary on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next